Snakes

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Snakes

Postby snowdrake » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:23 pm

grapenuts wrote:
Im going to my states reptile/snake breeder expo next month on the 17th and I'm looking to get my first snake!
Who knows if I'll purchase one then, but I've heard its a good place to purchase snakes, as they come from quality breeders and they're often sold for lower prices at expos! Is this true?
-
-
I'm also looking for a beginner snake and I'm soooo fascinated by ball pythons and ball python morphs.
-
-
I'm looking for more information on them, and possibly some experiences/tips with them?
I know a lot but I would also like some stuff from people that have actually owned a bp or bp morph! :D

just going to drop my two cents here cx
    personally I always recommend corn snakes, especially for a beginner. they are easy to care for, usually very friendly and they eat like champions. they require less space than a ball python, making their enclosure less pricey and unlike bps they aren't picky eaters. many ball pythons will go off feed for weeks, sometimes even months, if anything is wrong with their temperature or humidity. all the corns I've ever known never did that. of course you have to take into mind that there are always exceptions!

adult snakes are often more used to humans and don't bite as quickly as a young snake.

if you are a beginner I'd say definitely go for the corn snake. if you have some experience with snakes already, you know what you're doing and want something a little bigger you can try your hands at a ball python.
things just got a lot more relaxed for me, I'll be able to be online more often! responses still won't be instant most times, sorry </3
snowdrake

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ShadyBro » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:40 pm

Hinode wrote:
grapenuts wrote:
Im going to my states reptile/snake breeder expo next month on the 17th and I'm looking to get my first snake!
Who knows if I'll purchase one then, but I've heard its a good place to purchase snakes, as they come from quality breeders and they're often sold for lower prices at expos! Is this true?
-
-
I'm also looking for a beginner snake and I'm soooo fascinated by ball pythons and ball python morphs.
-
-
I'm looking for more information on them, and possibly some experiences/tips with them?
I know a lot but I would also like some stuff from people that have actually owned a bp or bp morph! :D

just going to drop my two cents here cx
    personally I always recommend corn snakes, especially for a beginner. they are easy to care for, usually very friendly and they eat like champions. they require less space than a ball python, making their enclosure less pricey and unlike bps they aren't picky eaters. many ball pythons will go off feed for weeks, sometimes even months, if anything is wrong with their temperature or humidity. all the corns I've ever known never did that. of course you have to take into mind that there are always exceptions!

adult snakes are often more used to humans and don't bite as quickly as a young snake.

if you are a beginner I'd say definitely go for the corn snake. if you have some experience with snakes already, you know what you're doing and want something a little bigger you can try your hands at a ball python.

I'd second that - my first experiences with ball pythons were not so great to say the least. My corn snakes however thrived even with my minimal snake care knowledge at the time.
┏━━━━━━━━━┓ 
─── ⋆⋅⋅⋆ ──

ImageImageImage
✰Toyhouse✰
✰Closed Species✰
✰Trotters✰

ImageImageImage

─── ⋆⋅⋅⋆ ──
┗━━━━━━━━━┛

─- ⋆⋅⋅⋆ ─- ♡ - - ♡ -─ ⋆⋅⋅⋆ -─
ShadyBro

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rose; » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:39 am

grapenuts wrote:
-
-
-
-

Not all breeders at an expo are reliable just because they're at an expo. You can usually find a list of vendors that will be at a show before the day of the show so you can research breeders that you might be interested in purchasing from, some people even put out a general idea of what they'll be bringing along.

I got a BP as my first snake and he's thriving, people don't generally recommend them as a beginner snake since they are pickier than others about husbandry, but if you are willing to do the research before getting one and set up the enclosure before getting the snake to make sure you can maintain correct temps and humidity then I don't see the problem. I opted for one as a first snake over a corn because I really don't like the appearance of corns and love BPs, and have had no problem
Other snakes you can consider other than the typical cornsnake option could be sand boas or rosy boas or possibly kingsnakes and milksnakes.

Aside, I'll be getting a 5 slot BP rack next weekend and I'm so excited [no I will not consider not putting my BPs in a rack, and no I do not keep them in there with paper towels and a water bowl with nothing else]. This leaves me with a 3 ft x 15 in glass door front opening PVC tank to fill. I really wanted a rosy boa or a hognose, and my boyfriend wants a sand boa, but due to it being front opening I don't think the tank would work for any of them as they're all burrowers. Someone suggested kingsnakes, and I've had my eye on a Mexican Black King for a while. Anyone with experience with Kings know if this is a large enough enclosure for a male? I was assuming it would be too small for a female, but I'm not sure what the rule of thumb is for tank size for them.
rose;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby kivr & fireflii » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:25 pm

grapenuts wrote:
-
-
-
-

(Long post oops I swear I didn't mean to go on a huge tangent!)

Expos are good for buying snakes, they are usually cheaper, but the breeders aren't always quality. But the good thing about expos is you can see the animals in person, see if they're healthy, ask questions in person, etc. You can also stand to the side (or across the room if you don't want to feel awkward like me LOL) and look up the breeder on your phone.

As for a beginner snake, ball pythons typically aren't recommended. They don't require extreme husbandry like some snakes and their size is manageable, but they are very sensitive to their environment. So sometimes even just a few degrees off of the ideal temperature, too much open space, too much handling, a feeder that's too cold, etc. can all make a ball python go off feed. Once you've had a snake, you already have the experience and knowledge to know "doing XYZ will help raise the humidity" or "doing this or this will make the food more appealing", etc. but as a beginner, you have to do some trial and error to figure out how to fix something. Sometimes this can just make it worse for ball pythons (for example, if they're off feed, you don't want to keep trying every other day because too many failed feeding attempts can stress them out even more).

However, I'll play the devil's advocate and say that... I would rather someone get the snake they're interested in and dedicated toward rather than going for the most commonly cited beginner snake that they're going to have for 10+ years only to use it as a "stepping stone" in experience. And I speak from experience that I know even being told "don't get a ball python, they're not good beginner snakes", most people who have their minds set on it will do it anyway (like myself). I would still say go for corn snake if you're open to it (they have some cool morphs like palmettos or scaleless, which are much less expensive in corn snakes than in ball pythons!), but if you really just think you're going to get that snake, not love it, and may even only have it for a year or two, then at least take your time on researching ball pythons (don't rush it!).

My three biggest, overall tips:

1) no matter what snake you get, do LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of research. Don't assume that all your research is enough! Think of any problems you can encounter, do research, learn from other's mistakes, know how to fix it if it happens, know how to avoid it if at all possible. This definitely isn't a "I spent 10hrs on the computer today researching, and I'm prepared for a ball python" situation. I would definitely make sure you're still researching and still interested MONTHS later. Most snakes, specifically ball pythons in this case, live for 20+ years (some bps have been known to be 40yrs+, the oldest one being almost 50 years old!). That's all the way from diapers through college to owning your own house, getting married, and having children! If in a few months you find yourself losing interest, chances are you're not going to be interested in that snake 20 years from now. So take your time. Also don't just take "any" research and "any" advice. Look for the best. If you're not sure about something that one care sheet/person says, or two people conflict on their opinion, take it to another person/community and ask about it!

2) Get involved in multiple communities! This seems obvious, but if you ever encounter a problem, the first thing you're going to do is probably look up the issue and how to fix it. But just because someone is part of a community doesn't mean they give good and/or knowledgeable advice. Some communities are not open to other methods of keeping, some will shame/attack people for not taking their advice. I know of one community that will outright remove/ban people that disagree with them. Not all communities are great. So join a lot, get involved, figure out which ones you trust to be friendly and knowledgeable.

3) MOST importantly: don't be afraid to ask questions and be open to criticism. Even with all your research, no one expects anyone to be perfect or do perfect on their first try. Heck, I did research for at least half a year, got involved in 30+ communities, asked questions, got myself a sort of "mentor", and I still had trouble fixing the problems I completely expected I would have. Just know that no one is trying to attack you if you make a mistake, but when it comes down to it, your animal's welfare should mean more than your pride.

ANYWAY. There's too much to just tell you our experiences or give "more information" (I have no idea what you've researched, what you've learned, what you consider "good" or "bad", etc.), and tips--aside from the above--can... be about anything. If you have a specific question/set of questions, that would be a better place to start.
-fireflii
kivr centers | fireflii signs
kivr & fireflii

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Taiger Lilly » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:00 am

Hmm, I've been thinking about switching my BP to a tank from her tub.
Honestly, I really like the tub, it's been easy to maintain, and she's done really well in it. I more just wanna switch her to a tank for 'selfish' reasons. My partner got a Bearded Dragon recently, even though we wern't ready for one (was an unexpected birthday gift, so angry) and we have the tank set up with a nice desert aesthetic.
It kinda inspired me, it would be nice to make her more of a display too, and a green jungle theme would contrast nicely.
Honestly I just worry about having to go through getting the temps and humidity right again in a new setup, and I only have the one herpstat so I can't have it running before I put her in..
If she's happy maybe I shouldn't bother her with a change

She's four years old and her name is Princess Buttercup :)
Oh, and she's Pastel
Taiger Lilly

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby grafaiai » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:23 am

I do wanna throw my two cents in re: ball pythons as beginner snakes: my first snake was a ball python. I was planning on getting a corn but the closest reputable breeder didn't have any so I threw my heart into bp research instead. I ended up loving him dearly, even though he wasn't the breed I'd been planning on getting. His care took a few months of trial and error, and I don't think I'd recommend it to anyone (those were some very stressful and scary months). That being said, if you have experience with snakes or have done a lot, and i mean a lot of research, I think you'll be okay with almost any breed.

But I think it's weird how hyperfixated a lot of new hobbiests are on ball pythons, specifically. It might be because their introduction to snakes was something like a william-snekspeare ball python comic, or a diagram of a noodle-puppy with cute labels like "snooter" and "munchies locator" or something. They are particularly puppy-like and cute, but so many newcomers are just so decided that they want a ball python for sure and nothing else will do. I promise, if you get a corn snake instead of a ball python, you'll fall just as much in love with your corn as you would a bp. There are so many other breeds out there, but ball pythons remain Super Uber Popular and it just... idunno, it doesn't really bother me, but I do think it's weird. I do admit it's kind of hypocritical of me to say that cause I am especially fond of them now that I've had one, but if I had a corn I'd love corns, or if I had a carpet python I'd love carpet pythons.

What do you guys think?

oh and @Taiger Lilly: I wouldn't change it personally, but you can really get some nice aesthetics going even with a tub! I follow a couple people on tumblr with beautiful tub setups (lots of fake foliage) and stuff, lemme poke around and see if I can find pictures and then I'll edit this post with a link haha. edit: Here is WMSS's post on how she set up her tubs, and exactly the tubs I was thinking of. I especially love the climbing branches and substrate haha.

adult 🐸 xe/he 🐵 trashguts
aka tg, cricket, weevil
🐛
discord : trashguts
...but! be warned that i am not
much of a conversationalist

toyhou.se : trashguts
prone to Experiencing Mental Health,
please understand
🦟
adopt & base usage TOS
art shop thread!
🪳
i have lots of free toyhou.se
codes, message me for one
🦗
C4C / AMA / art thread / <3
grafaiai

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby taurus ; » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:02 pm

'Uhm, privacy ???!!'
After I lifted his hide lol.
Long noodle baby.
Still fits in the palm of my hand.
'hello mahm, hru?'

Ok, so I know snakes aren't really mentally capable of feeling love or hate, etc., but there was once a time when Khaa was the only thing stopping me from dropping into depression. He means so much to me and him trusting me enough to even handle him is enough for me <3333

Found this picture of Choco, a tiny male ball python I tried to save(PetSmart), but sadly he didn't make it.

So it seems like Khaa is full grown, and I'm kinda sad I see males waayy bigger than him. Maybe he will grow a bit, he's only a year old, BPs are full grown at 3 years. I want a big snake but not boa or retic/burn big, a female BP is perfect.
Time to check out my local breeder. A big lesser/butter girl would be awesome.
☆ kenya|she/her|istj|adult player
(simply vibing, that's it <3)
taurus ;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby OutdatedBoombox » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:33 pm

I don't hang out on these CS reptile forums much anymore (For personal reasons), but I need a bit of advice.

I finally got a UTH for my BP (Yes, she was doing amazing without it, but I want it to be perfect). It's ZooMed brand, and I got the thermostat required to regulate it. To those of you who use ZooMed UTHs and thermostats, what setting do you suggest for a ball python? It'll be going onto her warm side underneath her two warm hides, opposite her damp moss area/hide and water dish area.

Edit*

I've owned my BP for over a year now. She has never had any issues (Feeding, health, or other) with the exception of when I first got her and my humidity wasn't high enough for a proper shed. I don't want care tips or sheets unless they contain useful UTH info, I just want help with the UTH heater thing. I realize that a lamp isn't ideal but I've done my best to keep her ground warm so that she can digest properly and everything. I got a UTH because I want to fix that and prevent any possible future issues.

Sorry if I come across as snippy, I'm tired as all heckie
Last edited by OutdatedBoombox on Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OutdatedBoombox

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby grafaiai » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:56 pm

Ball pythons need their warm belly heat to be in the 89-92F range and the ambient temperature to be 78-80F. They should never drop below 75F or you'll risk RIs. Make sure you're measuring it with a infared heat gun, otherwise you're either a) relying on the thermostat to be accurate (which isn't necessarily the case) or b) not getting the temperature of the ground itself that the snake is on. Where my scales slither has a good care sheet, as well as a bunch of other good info you should consider checking out.

If you were using a heat lamp before I'd recommend doing away with it if altogether you haven't already, since it can really dry out your enclosure!
Last edited by grafaiai on Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adult 🐸 xe/he 🐵 trashguts
aka tg, cricket, weevil
🐛
discord : trashguts
...but! be warned that i am not
much of a conversationalist

toyhou.se : trashguts
prone to Experiencing Mental Health,
please understand
🦟
adopt & base usage TOS
art shop thread!
🪳
i have lots of free toyhou.se
codes, message me for one
🦗
C4C / AMA / art thread / <3
grafaiai

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rose; » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:02 pm

trashguts wrote:Ball pythons need their warm belly heat to be in the 89-92F range and the ambient temperature to be 78-80F. They should never drop below 75F or you'll risk RIs. Make sure you're measuring it with a infared heat gun, otherwise you're either a) relying on the thermostat to be accurate (which isn't necessarily the case) or b) not getting the temperature of the ground itself that the snake is on. Where my scales slither has a good care sheet, as well as a bunch of other good info you should consider checking out.

And remember that the probe goes between the heat mat and the tank, not on top of the tank/under bedding or whatnot. Just set thermostat and after warmed, measure with infrared gun, and adjust thermostat as needed up or down to get it to read 92 on the heat gun. So the thermostat might not say it's set at 92. My thermostat is set at 85 but when I use an infrared gun, the back of my tubs measure 92
This is to help keep the snake from wrapping up in the cord, or anything from disturbing the heat probe so it moves away from the spot it's supposed to be measuring
rose;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me