Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

The members list is getting long. Should I change the way it's set up?

Yes, only list people's usernames
25%
Yes, only list people's usernames and the species of fish they own
60%
No, I like it the way it is
14%
Other (PM me with your idea)
2%

Total votes : 502

Re: Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Postby Gvvdgrief » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:08 am

Phantasmagoria wrote:
    Hey guys, what product would you recommend for treating a fungal infection in a betta? Noticed that MacCready has a white fuzzy spot on one of his fins, and it looks like it got torn because it's hanging on by a thread.
    I can't get any decent pictures of it, but I believe it's cotton fin fungus. It seems like most don't like Melafix/Pimafix because oil and labyrinths don't mix, but what should I use instead?

API fungus cure worked perfectly for my betta with a fungal infection. It turns the water bright green but as long as you leave the tank filtering it goes away in a day or two. It takes 2 doses for a full treatment, you can get it online on Amazon!

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━---------
-=.==--------Todd / Adult / He/Him

Hi my name is Todd and I spend an absurd amount
of time thinking ab the band COIN. Returning long
time player coming back to trade a lil and see wha
ts up.

-----------------------
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
Gvvdgrief

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby StrikingEmber36 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:04 pm

Well I got a new betta today! A beautiful halfmoon betta that I saved from a cracked cup about a week or so ago. I told him i'd come back and get him, and I did. His name is Jupiter, and he's been at my local Petsmart for about a month. I was finally able to get him because my other halfmoon betta, Luci, went to his forever home <3 (he was a christmas gift for my friend, don't worry, he has a 10 gal tank now to himself!) I haven't explained all of my fish in a while, I don't think, so I have now 8 bettas, 5 female guppies, 2 male guppies, and around 38 guppy fry! I have three 10 gallon tanks, one 2.5 gallon tank, and one 5.5 gallon tank. anyways,
here's Jupiter!
December 30th
IMG_7071.PNG
IMG_7071.PNG (258.36 KiB) Viewed 24 times

Today!
IMG_7067.JPG
IMG_7067.JPG (82.98 KiB) Viewed 24 times

i bet he's going to marble out into a darker color, probably even red. what do you guys think?
Image megan ~ she/they Image
hello! i make art sometimes
pls disregard my old stuff, i've been on this site since i was a literal child
i like to draw, roleplay, and trade!
i have a service dog and love dogs+fish!!
user since 2011 | previously JiminSpazz | x
StrikingEmber36

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby yetzali » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:11 pm

i was wondering if any of you have used aquabid? i've been browsing it lately, and oh boy. i was planning to purchase a betta from a breeder on there who seems all good, they've got good reviews and a good DOA policy. i was just wondering if any of you guys have used it and what you thought of it?
Last edited by yetzali on Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xImage
sarah
infj
she/they
pm me for dog pictures
yetzali

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ever changing » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:24 pm

I'm on a very large and educated betta group and I've
      heard nothing but great things about AB. I was going
      to buy my own from them, but decided against it.
ever changing

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Naeco » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:24 am

FINALLY, was able to get pictures of my pleco. I have no clue what kind he is and wanted to know to make sure he is doing okay.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPFkdnEBPQd ... .dog&hl=en
https://www.instagram.com/p/BPFkZTvhvC7 ... .dog&hl=en
Links
http://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3303502
MainThingaMajiger

Pets

Maple Creek
Naeco

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby adelphi prime. » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:07 am

I need your help desperately to make a decision I don't want to make.
    So I have a 'problem' goldfish who has never had a good immune system. He'll get sick with the most mundane things while the other goldfish are perfectly healthy. He and three other fancy goldfish currently reside in a 29 gallon (it's overstocked, I know...). He's gotten a number of infections and illnesses, and all seem to come and go. However, recently he had a day where he must have swallowed air and got it caught in his digestive system, because he was flailing at the top of the water, struggling just to stay upright. He's had this problem before, and it's the reason why I'm very careful to feed them flakes directly from my hand rather than off the surface of the water.

Now yesterday he was sitting at the bottom acting lethargic, but he did eat some. I was a little worried about him, so I kept an eye on him, but nothing seemed to change all day. This morning I go to feed them and he's bloated, scales are starting to protrude, he won't eat, and he's got red splotches on his sides and head. He's still laying on the bottom, and what little effort he puts into trying to swim is stiff and painful. He's my favorite fish, and he'll most readily eat from my hand, he likes to swim around and through my fingers, and he's always so happy looking even with all the problems he's had in the past. Seeing him like this is the worst thing I can possibly see from him... never, despite ich, swim bladder disorder, and several bacterial infections, have I ever seen him act like this.

I know Dropsy at this stage has a very unlikely chance to be cured... and I do have clove oil to put him down if necessary. But what should I do? After all he's been through, I will NOT make him suffer longer than he has to... but at what point should I put him down? Is it now, or should I wait? He's my favorite fish, so the decision is all the more hard... but I want his welfare to be placed before my feelings.
↠ EDS ᎳᎪᏒᏒᎥᎾᏒ ↞
adelphi prime.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby PeachFuzz » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:32 am

Extermination² wrote:
    I need your help desperately to make a decision I don't want to make.
    So I have a 'problem' goldfish who has never had a good immune system. He'll get sick with the most mundane things while the other goldfish are perfectly healthy. He and three other fancy goldfish currently reside in a 29 gallon (it's overstocked, I know...). He's gotten a number of infections and illnesses, and all seem to come and go. However, recently he had a day where he must have swallowed air and got it caught in his digestive system, because he was flailing at the top of the water, struggling just to stay upright. He's had this problem before, and it's the reason why I'm very careful to feed them flakes directly from my hand rather than off the surface of the water.

Now yesterday he was sitting at the bottom acting lethargic, but he did eat some. I was a little worried about him, so I kept an eye on him, but nothing seemed to change all day. This morning I go to feed them and he's bloated, scales are starting to protrude, he won't eat, and he's got red splotches on his sides and head. He's still laying on the bottom, and what little effort he puts into trying to swim is stiff and painful. He's my favorite fish, and he'll most readily eat from my hand, he likes to swim around and through my fingers, and he's always so happy looking even with all the problems he's had in the past. Seeing him like this is the worst thing I can possibly see from him... never, despite ich, swim bladder disorder, and several bacterial infections, have I ever seen him act like this.

I know Dropsy at this stage has a very unlikely chance to be cured... and I do have clove oil to put him down if necessary. But what should I do? After all he's been through, I will NOT make him suffer longer than he has to... but at what point should I put him down? Is it now, or should I wait? He's my favorite fish, so the decision is all the more hard... but I want his welfare to be placed before my feelings.

I'm sorry you're dealing with this. :c Unfortunately, if he's starting to pinecone (scales sticking out) there's very likely nothing you can do. I've personally never seen a fish get better after getting to that point. Dropsy is a build-up of fluid in the organs usually caused by an internal bacterial infection. Once the scales begin to pinecone the fish is usually experiencing organ failure. Since we can't give a fish an organ transplant like we would with a person, there's nothing that can be done for organ failure.

No one can make the decision for you but when a fish reaches that point I personally believe the kindest thing is to put them down. The chances of recovery are so slim that I don't think it's worth the suffering.
Image Image Image
PeachFuzz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rose; » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:53 am

how many gallons minimum should be provided for a giant/king betta?
rose;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby PeachFuzz » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:08 am

control wrote:how many gallons minimum should be provided for a giant/king betta?

Are you referring to the bettas they call "kings" at Petco? I'd say 5 gallons as a minimum.
Image Image Image
PeachFuzz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rose; » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:17 am

PeachFuzz wrote:
control wrote:how many gallons minimum should be provided for a giant/king betta?

Are you referring to the bettas they call "kings" at Petco? I'd say 5 gallons as a minimum.

Not at petco, no. But isn't 5 gals what's required for a regular betta?
rose;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me