Reptiles - Geckos, Lizards, Snakes, and Turtles!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Reptiles - Geckos, Lizards, Snakes, and Turtles!

Postby kivr & fireflii » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:05 pm

The expos I've been to don't allow outside food (I can't remember drink), and they had concessions inside. A lot of people take card these days, but bring cash just in case if you're planning on buying something (especially if it's an buying an animal). I like taking lots of pictures, too, so I always bring an extra portable charger.
-fireflii
kivr centers | fireflii signs
kivr & fireflii

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ZagaZero » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:15 pm

i own a Kenyan sand boa, a ball python, and im getting either a Ghost hett albino columbian red tailed boa or a lueistic king snake, though im not sure yet. i know the person with the columbian, but the king is a good deal. though i do like columbians. which one do yall think i should get?
ZagaZero

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby gamorasass » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:09 am

Differences between Leopard Geckos and Crested Geckos?

My now ex girlfriend had six leopard geckos so I'm very well versed in how to care for them, but for myself, I am interested in getting a crestie C: How different is their care? Of course, I'm going to do extensive research before I get one, I just wanted some input with fellow gecko owners C:

♕── IT'S JUST SOME]XXX
      XXXXUNSPOKEN THING

just you average marvel nerd &
      starmora enthusiast living life as
      a full time working cat mom!
      LIGHTS OFF!

┌──────────────────┐
      service dog chat job chat
      └──────────────────┘
gamorasass

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rose; » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:30 am

King Kakashi wrote:
      Differences between Leopard Geckos and Crested Geckos?

My now ex girlfriend had six leopard geckos so I'm very well versed in how to care for them, but for myself, I am interested in getting a crestie C: How different is their care? Of course, I'm going to do extensive research before I get one, I just wanted some input with fellow gecko owners C:

Pretty much the opposite of leos. I had a crestie for a year or two before rehoming it. Cute little buggers, I just prefer bigger big lizards. Need vertical space instead of horizontal space with lots and lots of cover and plants to climb on. I'd suggest looking into bioactive set ups- they're fairly simple for cresties and I don't know how you'd keep the tank sanitary otherwise, I certainly couldn't figure it out, and breaking it down entirely every other week was a pain. They can be feed on repashy or pangea with supplemented live food every once in a while. Fairly humid, may be worthwhile getting a mister if you live in a dry area. Not as interactive as leos, and you can end up with one that you hardly ever see because they like to hide
rose;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby darwins » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:09 pm

hullo :> i have a handsome pastel ball python named finn.
      i'll post a picture of him when i get the chance.
    equestrian, naturalist, biologist, outdoorswoman.
    i like to read and paint and play video games.
    animal and plant obsessed.
darwins

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Luxio » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:54 am

Hi, i have am looking for advice about a skink my dad has, my dad has a fire skink and it gets lonely when its in its enclosure, it is very bonded to me but when i try to put it back in the enclosure when i take her out for like an hour or so, she quickly runs off and it takes me a long time to catch her again, which then i hope she is tired out but if she isn't she will just run off again, im living with my dad more frequently so i will see the skink more frequently, which im happy about, i just wanted to know if there are any ways to get her use to being put back in his enclosure, i dont want to leave her in there because she stops eating if she isn't fussed over, i love here and so does my dad but we are starting to not take her out so much because she hates going back in, we've tried to change the enclosure but its not that, she loves all of them and she has alot of hidden treats she finds in there and he looks really happy, she just dosent like to be put back in there, i dont know if its something about the enclosure door or anything ive ran out of idea on what to do anymore. We dont have any other lizards in that enclosure or that room, we do have another but they are both female and always separate because they dont get alot very often. It is not because she dosent like being handled because i can hold her for hours and she would love it, is there any similar events with other people's reptiles? Or does anyone have any advice on how i may be able to fix the situation?
Oakley 17/06/19 - 26/9/19
Luxio

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby blueh » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:14 am

animalspartytime321 wrote:Hi, i have am looking for advice about a skink my dad has, my dad has a fire skink and it gets lonely when its in its enclosure, it is very bonded to me but when i try to put it back in the enclosure when i take her out for like an hour or so, she quickly runs off and it takes me a long time to catch her again, which then i hope she is tired out but if she isn't she will just run off again, im living with my dad more frequently so i will see the skink more frequently, which im happy about, i just wanted to know if there are any ways to get her use to being put back in his enclosure, i dont want to leave her in there because she stops eating if she isn't fussed over, i love here and so does my dad but we are starting to not take her out so much because she hates going back in, we've tried to change the enclosure but its not that, she loves all of them and she has alot of hidden treats she finds in there and he looks really happy, she just dosent like to be put back in there, i dont know if its something about the enclosure door or anything ive ran out of idea on what to do anymore. We dont have any other lizards in that enclosure or that room, we do have another but they are both female and always separate because they dont get alot very often. It is not because she dosent like being handled because i can hold her for hours and she would love it, is there any similar events with other people's reptiles? Or does anyone have any advice on how i may be able to fix the situation?

So reptiles don't actually have the capability to bond with people in the way that animals such as dogs or cats do. I don't think this is so much of "loneness" as it is improper husbandry. If a reptile goes off feed that is a clear indicator that something is wrong. I don't know your enclosure, but I would read a reputable caresheet and make sure your temperature, humidity and minimum enclosure size all match up and are correct. You can also try putting more hides in the enclosure.
Reptiles can get stressed out with too much handling--I typically don't handle my reptiles outside of weighing but that's a personal preference. I wouldn't get them out for more than two hours a day, especially with a reptile such as a skink.

anyways, some updates on my guys!!
https://www.facebook.com/recklessdrivin ... 658953445/
I posted a video of Fruit Salad on my tumblr and that basically blew up into this ^^ So I've been out here trying to convince people that a) he's male. he's not laying eggs and b) he's not pooping.

some of my younger uros have started to color up really nicely and I'm excited! Unfortunately my breeding plans failed due to my U. geyri not taking, so that's a bummer but we'll try again next year.

my reptiles (aka my personal pets)
1.1 Uromastyx geyri, 3.1 Uromastyx ornata, 1.0 Uromastyx acanthinurus nigriventris, 2.0 piebald ball pythons, 1.0 puma ball python

i study lizards & bugs and like animals

Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.
blueh

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Clawdina » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:28 am

Hi! I'm looking for some advice on my turtle:
Since last night, bender, my turtle, has been swimming around his tank frantically (the best word I currently have), especially when my dad or I are around. He's also been using his front left leg sparingly as well as swimming lopsided and I'm concerned that he may have a respiratory infection since that's what I've been seeing from multiple websites about turtles, but I wanted to see what other turtle/reptile owners had to say about it
Thanks for any and all replies!
Edit: he's a red eared slider just in case that's important

she/her | ace ♠️
Need to vent?
Want help?
My PMs are open!
Looking for Art
Barn + Stables
Clawdina

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Cetacea » Tue May 08, 2018 9:53 am

Hi, just need some quick advice. So my crested gecko lost his tail a week ago, and it looks fine and all that, but he recently shed and he has stuck shed around it. I don't want to irritate the wound, and it's not cutting off the circulation to anything, so should i just leave it? i dont want to stress him more than needed
Cetacea

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby delet--- » Tue May 08, 2018 10:04 am

Clawdina wrote:Hi! I'm looking for some advice on my turtle:
Since last night, bender, my turtle, has been swimming around his tank frantically (the best word I currently have), especially when my dad or I are around. He's also been using his front left leg sparingly as well as swimming lopsided and I'm concerned that he may have a respiratory infection since that's what I've been seeing from multiple websites about turtles, but I wanted to see what other turtle/reptile owners had to say about it
Thanks for any and all replies!
Edit: he's a red eared slider just in case that's important

i don't have any experience with turtles, but i would definitely consider seeing a vet if you can! they will be able to help you diagnose the issue and provide you with the best course of action. hope everything ends up alright with your little buddy! good luck <3
i'm cadet kippy!
kip | she/her | intp-t | lesbian
please ask me about my pets

[x][x][x]
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
delet---

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups