Goats

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: goats

Postby .Middy. » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:25 pm

Congrats on switching to NDs lol

Speaking of getting new goats, I'm getting a adorable little wether tonight! My realtor/chicken guy has a doe that's getting ready to kid, and he's started trying to nurse off of her. So they decided to go ahead and sell the wether.

He knew that Athena was alone so he called me up to offer him to me, and my stepdad said to go ahead and get him! He's about a year old, and was a bottle baby so he's super sweet (I met him once and fell in love with him, but haven't seen him since)

He's a tri color, but that's about all I know lol! Not even sure what color his eyes are! Still trying to decide what I'll name him!

I'll post pics as soon as my mom sends me some! (Tomorrow probably, I'm out of town so gotta wait for her to send one)

Edit: picture!
.Middy.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby GoatLover20 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:47 pm

Hes such a cutie! Love the colors!
GoatLover20

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Mean Kitty » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:32 am

.Middy. wrote:Edit: picture!

What a cutie! <3

I just got home a bit ago with my new goat, Stormi. (The older black and white nanny) She's such a sweetie, and leads a whole lot better then my other goats, lol!

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Mods: My nieces are Kaylee197 and Rosie197. We sometimes share an IP.
The Mean Kitty

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .Middy. » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:58 pm

Got to meet my new boy today! He's a total sweetheart but a bit naughty! His name is Loki now! He seems to love Athena, but kinda picks on her (nothing bad, just some head butting)

He is terrified of Zeus and Rally though! I had them all out today (Athena tied up in sight so her and Zeus couldn't go off and do anything naughty) and Zeus and Loki were rearing up and kinda prancing at each other. But anytime Rally came near Loki, he took off to me or my mom to protect him lol
.Middy.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Keriae » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:55 pm

I don't own goats myself, but I do work with them :3 at my job we have a small herd of pygmy goats, consisting of one buck, three breeding nannies and a two year old kid who is still absolutely tiny. A couple of days ago, one of the nannies gave birth, so now we have two gorgeous little girls <3 They're currently unnamed, but I'm thinking of asking my boss if we can name them after flowers or egg and spoon for egg and spoon races /shot

Keriae

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby nice » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:03 am

I love goats, I don't personally own any but my aunt and uncle own quite a few, they're all sweethearts.

Last time I visited their house, one of their billy goats was limping around and they couldn't get close enough to check it because he gets spooked easily. Hope he's alright ;n;
nice

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby GoatLover20 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:34 am

Im getting really excited now!! Haha Only a week and 3-4 days until our 5 does are due! Ill defiantly be posting pictures of the adorableness! :lol: The picture is Asher from last year kids. He was only 4lbs. at birth while his siblings were 8lbs.
Attachments
IMG_6636[1].JPG
IMG_6636[1].JPG (73.98 KiB) Viewed 68 times
GoatLover20

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .:FarmGirlAtHeart:. » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:48 pm

Hello everyone! As you can see from my siggy, the girls will be giving birth in 3 weeks! We can feel and sometimes see the babies moving, and the girls are doing great in their milking stand training! Of course, as a first time goat-grandma, I'm worried sick! What do you guys have in your kidding supplies? Is there anything I should know? Also, for all of you who own barn cats as well, how do you keep them out of the goat's feeders?

Everyday, it's getting closer...

Going faster than a roller coaster...
.:FarmGirlAtHeart:.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ۞Silverheart۞ » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:04 am

.:TrueToHens:. wrote:Hello everyone! As you can see from my siggy, the girls will be giving birth in 3 weeks! We can feel and sometimes see the babies moving, and the girls are doing great in their milking stand training! Of course, as a first time goat-grandma, I'm worried sick! What do you guys have in your kidding supplies? Is there anything I should know? Also, for all of you who own barn cats as well, how do you keep them out of the goat's feeders?

well i am not sure how to keep barn cats out of feeders but i have some advice for taking care of baby goats. if you haven't already its a good idea to keep the mom goat and her kids or billy's in a small stable this helps her have more time with her babies. also if you have any other females they might want to take her babies, yes i know it sounds odd but sometime if the alpha female in the herd sees that another female has kids and they don't they don't they can get a little aggressive and take the babies away.

i hope this helps :)

'
a small stable like this>Image
well
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
۞Silverheart۞

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby GoatLover20 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:48 am

.:TrueToHens:. wrote:Hello everyone! As you can see from my siggy, the girls will be giving birth in 3 weeks! We can feel and sometimes see the babies moving, and the girls are doing great in their milking stand training! Of course, as a first time goat-grandma, I'm worried sick! What do you guys have in your kidding supplies? Is there anything I should know? Also, for all of you who own barn cats as well, how do you keep them out of the goat's feeders?

My goats just finished kidding, I was always worried at first now it is my 4th year so I'm pretty chill with it Haha. I have barn ctas but they dont really go in the goats feeder so sorry Im not sure how to help with that.... But for kids, Like silverheart said, It is good to separate them.We didn't this year and one doe stole another ones kids when they were born. But we separated the mom and her babies and had her realize they are HERS and so they're all fine and back with the herd now. As for kidding supplies, Im not the most prepared person Lol but I keep some towels in the barn to help clean newborn kids ( Still let the mom lick them though so she knows its her kid). Iodine is good to have to dip the umbilical ( Is that spelled right?) chords. Heat lamps are good too if its still chilly there. We have a board across the corner of the goat pen and a heat lamp in there for a place for the kids to sleep while staying warm and not getting stepped on. Paper towels, bottles/nipples, scissors in case you need to cut the chord shorter or something... If you're at the birth make sure the kids nose/mouth are cleaned off first so it can breath okay. And be sure the kids get their colostrum not too long after they're born. You may need to help the kids find where to nurse at first but they'll get it soon! And for the moms, We've been milking ours out twice a day to make sure they don't get mastitis. Then we offer the milk to any kids that are still hungry. Don't be surprised if your does don't let their milk down when you first start milking, Usually they save milk for their babies. But remember, Don't worry TOO much that you cant enjoy it, and enjoy your babies! :D Feel free to ask more questions, I just listed what I could think of off the top of my head.
GoatLover20

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me