LOCK? DELETE? OLD Rabbit Owners- NEW LINK INSIDE

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Rabbit Owner Chat!

Postby SpaceSpectre » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:23 pm

I have a question, guys.

Pooka is my 10lbs Havana Doe. She's a little over 2 years old now. Since maybe the beginning of winter I've noticed that when she pees its a bit dark. The only thing I can think of is that she may be a little dehydrated, because I have to refill her water bowl a few times a day (she has always refused to use a bottle). She seems completely healthy and has never had any health problems, and she's acting completely normal. It doesn't look like blood or anything, her pee just looks darker than I feel I feel like it should be. Its more or less a light-medium brownish color, whereas before it was more of a light orange color.

Sorry if this is slightly TMI, I'm just hoping some of you guys might know a bit more about this than I do. I can't really afford to take her to a vet right now for them to just tell me she's fine (money's tight at the moment). I'm 90% sure she's probably just a little bit dehydrated, which won't be an issue to fix. What do you guys think?

By the way, here's a picture of my princess (sorry for the terrible quality):
>>Click<<
SpaceSpectre

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ZORAGON » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:39 pm

Sawsbuckler wrote:
I have a question, guys.

Pooka is my 10lbs Havana Doe. She's a little over 2 years old now. Since maybe the beginning of winter I've noticed that when she pees its a bit dark. The only thing I can think of is that she may be a little dehydrated, because I have to refill her water bowl a few times a day (she has always refused to use a bottle). She seems completely healthy and has never had any health problems, and she's acting completely normal. It doesn't look like blood or anything, her pee just looks darker than I feel I feel like it should be. Its more or less a light-medium brownish color, whereas before it was more of a light orange color.

Sorry if this is slightly TMI, I'm just hoping some of you guys might know a bit more about this than I do. I can't really afford to take her to a vet right now for them to just tell me she's fine (money's tight at the moment). I'm 90% sure she's probably just a little bit dehydrated, which won't be an issue to fix. What do you guys think?

>>Click<<

Well the fact is rabbits pee color can change. I have one rabbit that pee is blood red almost. It's nothing to worry about it's very normal. Often urine color is related to something they've eaten. And the color change is something that comes and goes. :thumbup:
ZORAGON

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Onew~ » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:12 pm

Sawsbuckler wrote:
I have a question, guys.

>>Click<<

Veggies can cause color tint in urine. May I ask what you're feeding her? c: Fed anything new?

---------

So today my dad told me about how someone who works at a store we often go to. She works as a cashier there from time to time. Anyways, apparently her 13 yr old son found a (domesticated) rabbit on the side of the road. Someone probably dumped the poor thing there. I haven't seen her yet, but my dad says the rabbit has a couple clumps of hair that fell out on the back. I was a little startled that I found out they never took the rabbit to the vet, but, anyways. She's going to email me with pictures of the rabbit so I can see. The rabbit probably isn't in that much of danger with the fur(who knows, maybe he/she's just shedding a bit.), considering this rabbit loves humans. Runs around the house, begs for pets, I really can't believe how sweet my dad told me he/she is.

They haven't fed her anything too bad. She gets grass hay, and they've fed her some veggies. One of the veggies did include iceberg lettuce, but my dad told her what is okay for rabbits. However, I know more about rabbits than my dad, but anyways.

I know more than a few things about rabbits, and have a bunch of sources and guides to rabbit care just ready to show her. But, is there anything you guys would like to give me? Anything really helpful on rabbit care? ^^
Onew~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Rosario. » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:20 pm

Hi. I got a sweet boy bunny from my friend. I was wondering, what kind of housing would be best for a rabbit? Right now he's in a cage, which I know isn't great housing for a rabbit, which is why it will be changed soon. But I was wondering, what kind of materials would be best? My mom and I have already decided that we're going to make a home for him *we've had a variety of small animal before this, so we know whats safe and what isn't.* I'm just really curious what materials would be the best to use, because I want him to be comfortable and happy ^^ .
██
██ ▌

██ ▌
██ ▌
██ ▌
██ ▌
██ ▌
██ ▌
██ ▌
██ ▌
██ ▌

Trans ftm || He/him

───────────────────────────
[ credit ; domsdead ] | [ avatar credit ]

└───────────────────────┘

─────────
███████
─────────

RAPIDLY
─────────
███████
─────────

.I
T

M
E
A
N
S
F
O
R
G
E
T

.I
T
█ ▌
█ ▌
█ ▌
█ ▌
█ ▌
█ ▌
█ ▌
███████
NOTHING
nothing ! nothing ! nothing !

TOxMExx
to me! to me! to me! to me!
Rosario.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby SpaceSpectre » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:25 am

Onew~ wrote:Veggies can cause color tint in urine. May I ask what you're feeding her? c: Fed anything new?

Well nothing really that she hasn't had before. And nothing I feel like would change the color. In addition to her pellets and hay, she gets things like romaine lettuce, baby carrots (not very often, only when I buy them to put in soups), a little broccoli, spinach, celery, and bell peppers. As for fruits, she absolutely loves bananas, so she gets them as a special treat every now and then (I usually share them with her and let her take bites from it. I usually only let her take maybe three or four bites). She also gets dried mango treats (which isn't really very often because I rarely buy them). She also gets pieces of honeydew and canteloupe on rare ocassions. I don't give her fruits too often because I'm worried it'll upset her stomach if she has too much.

I thought maybe its the mangos but the darker colored urine has been happening since before she's had them. I just got the dried mangos less than a week ago.
SpaceSpectre

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Snowytoshi » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:13 am

♥Nights♥ wrote:
Hi. I got a sweet boy bunny from my friend. I was wondering, what kind of housing would be best for a rabbit? Right now he's in a cage, which I know isn't great housing for a rabbit, which is why it will be changed soon. But I was wondering, what kind of materials would be best? My mom and I have already decided that we're going to make a home for him *we've had a variety of small animal before this, so we know whats safe and what isn't.* I'm just really curious what materials would be the best to use, because I want him to be comfortable and happy ^^ .

Have you considered an x-pen? It will allow your rabbit much more room then a cage, while preventing him from wandering unsupervised.
Snowytoshi

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby tiata » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:32 am

♥Nights♥ wrote:

You can buy a puppy pen for her and buy a plastic sheet and put it on the ground and put blankets so she doesn't slip. Also put a plastic box/litter box(for cats) in her cage so she can be litter trained. I just shred new paper in the shredder machine and uses it in the litter box, its very cheap and works well! :thumbup:
❤ You will forever be in my heart ❤

You have no right to use this gif without my written permission
tiata

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Rosalind » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:16 am

♥Nights♥ wrote:
    There are sooooooo many options for housing. Although of course you want to give him a bigger space, I would still include a cage in his "habitat", it kind of gives him a little place to always go. I, unfortunately, cannot offer my bubba anything more than a cage so I allow for supervised turnout, but his cage is his safe place; I may pet him, but I never force him to come out so it's his "safety zone". This of course is ONLY my opinion. c;

Hi there, I'm Rosalind!
I used to be a General Helper
so if you are looking for any help send in a help ticket. CS's amazing team will help you!
I'm not very active anymore, although I occasionally pop on so replies to PMs and trades could be slow.

[Character Thread] [Fursona Thread]

ImageImageImageImageImage
Rosalind

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Rosario. » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:29 am

Thank you all so much for the suggestions...Sadly I will be unable to try any of them..he got sick last night, and passed away :(
██
██ ▌

██ ▌
██ ▌
██ ▌
██ ▌
██ ▌
██ ▌
██ ▌
██ ▌
██ ▌

Trans ftm || He/him

───────────────────────────
[ credit ; domsdead ] | [ avatar credit ]

└───────────────────────┘

─────────
███████
─────────

RAPIDLY
─────────
███████
─────────

.I
T

M
E
A
N
S
F
O
R
G
E
T

.I
T
█ ▌
█ ▌
█ ▌
█ ▌
█ ▌
█ ▌
█ ▌
███████
NOTHING
nothing ! nothing ! nothing !

TOxMExx
to me! to me! to me! to me!
Rosario.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Rosalind » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:31 am

*hugs* Oh ♥Nights♥ I'm sooooo sorry!!!! :'c

Hi there, I'm Rosalind!
I used to be a General Helper
so if you are looking for any help send in a help ticket. CS's amazing team will help you!
I'm not very active anymore, although I occasionally pop on so replies to PMs and trades could be slow.

[Character Thread] [Fursona Thread]

ImageImageImageImageImage
Rosalind

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me