Low maintenance pets pllease lock mods

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Low maintenance pets

Postby Echo Revna » Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:04 am

Last edited by Echo Revna on Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Forever isn't long enough, I need you forever and a day,
in every lifetime and every universe, through every smile and tear,
by my side, not forever, but for eternity. - ➸

VET
Echo Revna

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Angelus Gaston » Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:14 am

Echo Raven wrote:
First of all, don't attack Ferret because you are mad at me. Secondly, I didn't say they don't live a long time, I didn't say they don't take commitment, all I said, if you would actually pay attention, is that the long term cost is higher for dogs and cats than some other animals, you don't have to agree with me, I really don't care, I have raised animals for years with no issues at all. I love and take care of my pets, I cry when something happens to them, I'm just saying from personal experience that the long term cost is less for some pets than others. .

I wasn't attacking anyone I was literally just making a statement about something that's been suggested in a thread and offering my OPINION AND EXSPERIANCE.
If you notice the person who originally stated fish actually agreed that there not easy till after you have made the commitment and actually put in the work.

Know I will say something If Ferret didn't want advice then I would suggest not asking in a forum were people are going to give there honest opinion.
Last edited by Spaceinmyhead on Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed rule breaking content
CharsArt WantedTradescredit
╔══════════════════════╗
We would do something
Sarcastic and witty with this but
We cant be bothered. We go by
Angelus One Piece and Yu-Gi-Oh lover

╚══════════════════════╝
Angelus Gaston

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby FerretMonarch » Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:22 am

I don't mind people giving their opinions honest or not (though I'd rather have an honest one), but there have been multiple people here that have jumped to conclusions and I would rather them not do that when they do not know me, my situation, or how I think and act.

That's the part that is a bit upsetting; perhaps i'm seeing it wrong, but either way it's upsetting to see so many decide that I'm 'bad' because of an o3dea someone had of me.

That being said I am editing the front page to have common things I have seen asked or said here to hopefully clear up things that people may be upset or concerned about
FerretMonarch

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Angelus Gaston » Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:52 am

FerretMonarch wrote:I don't mind people giving their opinions honest or not (though I'd rather have an honest one), but there have been multiple people here that have jumped to conclusions and I would rather them not do that when they do not know me, my situation, or how I think and act.

That's the part that is a bit upsetting; perhaps i'm seeing it wrong, but either way it's upsetting to see so many decide that I'm 'bad' because of an o3dea someone had of me.

That being said I am editing the front page to have common things I have seen asked or said here to hopefully clear up things that people may be upset or concerned about

I wasn't trying to attack you in anyway I was just literally making a statement on why I don't think fish are as easy as people make out.
I never said you were a bad person or was trying to make it seem that way I was just saying that no pet is easy no matter what.

You stated you were only living were you are till you get on your feet, I said if you get fish you got to think about when you move out.
Depending on the size of the tank and the equipment are you going to take it with you or leave it when you move out and if you are, are you willing to loose fish or risk the tank breaking in transport (I've had it happen).
I was just trying to asking questions in regards to if you were wanting to set up a fish tank to make it the best it can be ( and if you would be looking at self maintaining which can be expensive) or if the thought of lugging it to were you will be moving eventually will be a big no.
If self medicating or treating illnesses in the tank would be to much if they ever happened because you might need to set up a second tank for quarantine to prevent a potential out break in your tank and to keep other fish in if you want to add to a tank.

I've had multiple fish tanks as I said and its always off putting when someone says there easy with how much work and money can often go in to them and its often more expensive than a regular pet if you go about it the right way.

I wasn't trying to bully or be mean I don't even think I came of as that towards you, I was genuinely interested as to if a fish tank would be the right thing long term if or when you move.
CharsArt WantedTradescredit
╔══════════════════════╗
We would do something
Sarcastic and witty with this but
We cant be bothered. We go by
Angelus One Piece and Yu-Gi-Oh lover

╚══════════════════════╝
Angelus Gaston

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby FerretMonarch » Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:21 am

Angelus Gaston wrote:I wasn't trying to attack you in anyway I was just literally making a statement on why I don't think fish are as easy as people make out.
I never said you were a bad person or was trying to make it seem that way I was just saying that no pet is easy no matter what.

You stated you were only living were you are till you get on your feet, I said if you get fish you got to think about when you move out.
Depending on the size of the tank and the equipment are you going to take it with you or leave it when you move out and if you are, are you willing to loose fish or risk the tank breaking in transport (I've had it happen).
I was just trying to asking questions in regards to if you were wanting to set up a fish tank to make it the best it can be ( and if you would be looking at self maintaining which can be expensive) or if the thought of lugging it to were you will be moving eventually will be a big no.
If self medicating or treating illnesses in the tank would be to much if they ever happened because you might need to set up a second tank for quarantine to prevent a potential out break in your tank and to keep other fish in if you want to add to a tank.

I've had multiple fish tanks as I said and its always off putting when someone says there easy with how much work and money can often go in to them and its often more expensive than a regular pet if you go about it the right way.

I wasn't trying to bully or be mean I don't even think I came of as that towards you, I was genuinely interested as to if a fish tank would be the right thing long term if or when you move.

I didn't mean for you to think that, that was directly aimed at you it was more of directed towards the general whoevers reading this kind of thing. That being said, I did think you were a bit upset with me a few times, but I'm bad at reading subtext in conversations and the internet makes it 1000 times harder, so I'm sure that, that was my fault. I am looking to move as soon as I get a new car and a nice downpayment for a house which is probably around 4ish years which sucks, but its a more realistic timeframe. But because of that timeframe and also because moving fish would suck and I would literally cry if I lost a fish if i get fish it would be after I find myself a house.
FerretMonarch

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby - Alice - » Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:05 pm

Heya- I have taken the time to read through this and seen all the edits ect. I at this time don't believe it is viable for you to own a pet! I would possibly branch out to your sister and see if you could spend more time bonding with her animals. I am uncertain as to why she would keep them away from you [or you away from them! I'm not meaning for this to sound negative!!] I understand the want for companionship in a fluffy or scaly ect companion but if you take a step back and look at everything that was repeated / mentioned then it might be a little clearer!

it is obvious you don't want to cage an animal nor do you have the time to have them out [for the majority of the day]. They can cost a lot of money and other expenses such as illnesses and insurance ect may put your plans to move out and put a down payment down behind which seems to be the priority right now[? do say if I am wrong!] as this feel like a temporary and unexpected deviation from your plans!

The reason you may feel people are attacking you on the thread is because initially on a first read before the edits it was a little worrying. We have little to no context on the situation but we have someone asking about low maintenance animals when animals themselves are complex and difficult to deal with creatures! It admittedly does still feel a little worrying it feels like a big step to take when mayhaps your not fully prepared. Are you willing to delay yourself moving out in order to house an animal you will hardly see much of +/ interact with [depending on the animal! e.g. people above have mentioned fish which admittedly can be very interactive for the most part are not]. It would make more sense to wait

So in summery why don't you for the time being hold off and get some more wonderful plants! I am more then sure that we can help you pick out some pretty, unique and interesting plants that are non pollenating and non toxic :3 As well as branching out to your sister and her partner to see if you can spend some more quality time with the fur babies!

And a final point I would like to reiterate that none of this is meant to come off as rude or abrasive or anything of the like! I just wanted to offer my honest opinion and a possible solution for said problem! :3
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁
hey everyone! I am slowly quitting chicken smoothie [something
I've been saying for the last 3years pff]
and am slowly trading
everything for art or ocs! your welcome to dm me for art or oc
sales but I also have forums linked to below with all info :3

▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁
- Alice -

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby snowdrake » Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:35 am

hello, I have read through this thread and just wanted to offer an alternative in case you don't end up getting a pet. I know having pets is awesome, but if you decide against it for whatever reason, I wanted to say that you could also spend your free time occasionally on observing nature! I love doing it personally! for example, when I was outside today I saw a bunch of baby lizards and they were adorable! obviously, it's not the same as directly interacting with the animal or always being able to observe it, but it can still be a great experience just sitting and watching nature! plus you get to see many different animals: bugs, lizards, birds, maybe even the occasional fox or raccoon depending on where you live! if you have water nearby or like a pond, you could also catch a glimpse of some frogs and dragonflies! nature is amazing, I highly recommend giving it a try regardless of whether or not you end up getting a pet! :>
things just got a lot more relaxed for me, I'll be able to be online more often! responses still won't be instant most times, sorry </3
snowdrake

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby PinkAngel » Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:56 pm

Here are some things to take into consideration. (some stuff you already answered, but having a fleshed-out list can be helpful. I am sure there is more that can be asked, but these are all I can think about, you do not need to fill out this list)

1. How many hours a day will you be able to spend with your pet? (After you take into consideration how many hours you sleep in a day, your 40-hour work week, the time it takes for you to drive to work/drive home, the time it takes for you to eat, do your hygienic practices, do any chores if required, etc?) You do not have to be exact in your estimation.

2. How much do you prefer spending on animal necessities a month?

3. How much are you willing/anticipating to spend on your future pet upon purchasing/adopting it? (how much are you willing to spend outright on an enclosure/cage/feeding equipment/food/cleaning equipment/required vaccinations/toys/tank equipment/etc)

4. Do you want a pet that you can interact with? (cuddle/hug/hold/play/,etc)

5. Do you want a pet that needs to be walked/exercised?

6. Do you mind if you get a pet that you can only really watch?

7. Do you want a pet that needs to be trained?

8. If you get a pet, will it be allowed to have free reign of the house when you are home?

9. What pets is your sister okay with your owning?

10. What pets is your sister not okay with you owning? (her saying creepy is broad as what she may find creepy, others may not)

11. What pets do you want?

12. What pets do you not want?

13. What are your fears/worries about owning a pet?

14. What is your sister's fear/worry of you owning a pet/of a new pet being in the house?

15. How often would you like to care for the pet's hygienic/grooming needs? (cleaning tank/litterbox/clipping nails/cutting fur (if needed)/assisting in the shed (if needed)? Would you prefer an animal that can take care of itself for the most part?

16. Have you thought of putting money aside for potential vet bills/potential short-term/long-term medications? (safety nets are important)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
After reading your main-post, I believe that Sea-Monkeys would be a good fit for you.

Sea-Monkeys (or Brine-Shrimp) are relatively easy to care for. (Sea-Monkeys are a Brine Shrimp Hybrid, they grow larger and live longer)(I provided a bunch of links that give better descriptions and more detail of care.)

o They are filter-feeders and remove organic particles by themselves. So do not be alarmed if you see algae growing in their tank (too much can kill them), that is their food self-producing. To help clean off the algae completely covering the tank, very carefully use a toothbrush to scrape the sides and let it fall to the bottom.

o If the water is murky/cloudy, it is not necessarily a bad thing, just stop feeding the sea monkeys until the water clears up a bit. (the monkeys will eat the murkiness/cloudiness away) (If the tank smells bad, then you will need to clean it)(usually sea-monkeys should be fed once a week, or less once algae start to grow)

o If you absolutely want/need to clean the tank, you could transfer them into a temporary holding tank with the same water. Take the dirty tank and clean it out with sink water. (Do not use soap or any chemical-based cleaners or you will kill your shrimp) Once the tank is clean, add the shrimp back in (with the same water)

o If you notice the shrimp not feeding/or being covered in algae or anything else that prevents movement, then it would be good to introduce newer water. Remove some tank water to keep, use something to scoop up the shrimp, and put them into the water you are keeping. Then you can dump the remaining tank water and clean out what decorations you have added. (make sure there are no shrimp remaining in the tank first, not sure of the effect it would cause if you dump it down the drain/toilet. Personally, I would dump it outside) Add back in the shrimp and original tank water that you saved, then add in distilled water and your conditioner packet/or just create a saltwater environment yourself.

o Sea-Monkeys can asexually/sexually reproduce. So if you lose a few shrimp along the way, if all the males happen to die, your shrimp should still reproduce. (Use a dropper to pick up the dead body/If it is a dead pregnant female, the eggs should still hatch, once hatched, you can remove the female)

o Remember to aerate your tank every so often and that the tank is at the proper temperature. (temp is provided in one of the links)

I feel like the biggest struggle would be getting the conditions correct for a healthy sea-monkey environment. But sea-monkey colonies can live up to 5 years or less, so by the time you move out, the sea-monkey colony may have run their course, if not, I also provided Reddit links that give advice on how others transported their sea-monkeys.

These links give better descriptions than I did, I just did quick research which mostly just covers tank-care/what to expect. (links even cover what to do if white-fluff builds up in tank)
https://www.sserc.org.uk/wp-content/upl ... hrimps.pdf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttlYkpcct1M
https://youtu.be/6s7OnpNp6Pw
https://youtu.be/gTRl8cu7jlc
https://youtube.com/shorts/lRZAYBJiT0I?feature=share
https://youtube.com/shorts/54ulunBUOnI?feature=share
https://youtube.com/shorts/WtZK8gtPu24?feature=share
https://www.familyfuntwincities.com/diy ... nkey-care/
https://www.reddit.com/r/SeaMonkeys/com ... a_monkeys/
https://www.reddit.com/r/SeaMonkeys/com ... or_a_week/ (if you have to travel)
https://www.familyfuntwincities.com/diy ... 20a%20week.
https://www.wikihow.com/Care-for-Sea-Mo ... 20bacteria.
https://www.wikihow.com/Feed-Sea-Monkey ... ven%20days.
https://www.flickr.com/groups/seamonkey ... lon%20tank. (why large tanks are not the best for sea-monkeys)
https://weirdscifi.ratiosemper.com/seamonkeys/care.html

Benefits to Sea-Monkeys
1. Do not require to be fed daily.
2. Do not need their tank cleaned out often. (only if you see white-fluff/smells bad/overtaken by algae)
3. Will not jump out of the tank and eat your plants.
4. Do not need daily interaction/or interaction at all.
5. Relatively cost-effective.
6. Do not require a vet.
7. Can be left alone for a couple of days.
8. Can be kept in your room.
9. Reproduce fast.
10. Do not need a large tank.

FerretMonarch wrote:Gekos are so cute too! Those and frogs are the only ny sister will let me have. Also if i didnt have to clean a fish tank twice a week i would have a tank or two. I also sent you a insta message

Since you do not want to clean a fish-tank out twice a week, I assume that also includes not wanting to clean a tank out once a week. Will be okay with cleaning any other animals enclosure out once-twice a week? With Sea-Monkeys you rarely have to clean the tank.
Click the icons if you want to join!
Please refer my Xanje user, poptarts.

I love having Wermz.
Praise the Wermz.
Let us all get Wermz!

PinkAngel

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby FerretMonarch » Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:26 pm

snowdrake wrote:
    hello, I have read through this thread and just wanted to offer an alternative in case you don't end up getting a pet. I know having pets is awesome, but if you decide against it for whatever reason, I wanted to say that you could also spend your free time occasionally on observing nature! I love doing it personally! for example, when I was outside today I saw a bunch of baby lizards and they were adorable! obviously, it's not the same as directly interacting with the animal or always being able to observe it, but it can still be a great experience just sitting and watching nature! plus you get to see many different animals: bugs, lizards, birds, maybe even the occasional fox or raccoon depending on where you live! if you have water nearby or like a pond, you could also catch a glimpse of some frogs and dragonflies! nature is amazing, I highly recommend giving it a try regardless of whether or not you end up getting a pet! :>

Due to having super close neighbors, a slightly angry raccoon somewhere, and super angry ground hornets i aint comfy with staring and looking for lizards like i usually do but there is a couple families of purple martins (birds) so i'll try to catch a couple pics of them hopefully soon. They're a bit angry as well since they're egg sitting but they'll stop swooping once there babes hatch and i can get a nice picture
FerretMonarch

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby FerretMonarch » Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:38 pm

PinkAngel wrote:Here are some things to take into consideration. (some stuff you already answered, but having a fleshed-out list can be helpful. I am sure there is more that can be asked, but these are all I can think about, you do not need to fill out this list)

1. How many hours a day will you be able to spend with your pet? (After you take into consideration how many hours you sleep in a day, your 40-hour work week, the time it takes for you to drive to work/drive home, the time it takes for you to eat, do your hygienic practices, do any chores if required, etc?) You do not have to be exact in your estimation.

2. How much do you prefer spending on animal necessities a month?

3. How much are you willing/anticipating to spend on your future pet upon purchasing/adopting it? (how much are you willing to spend outright on an enclosure/cage/feeding equipment/food/cleaning equipment/required vaccinations/toys/tank equipment/etc)

4. Do you want a pet that you can interact with? (cuddle/hug/hold/play/,etc)

5. Do you want a pet that needs to be walked/exercised?

6. Do you mind if you get a pet that you can only really watch?

7. Do you want a pet that needs to be trained?

8. If you get a pet, will it be allowed to have free reign of the house when you are home?

9. What pets is your sister okay with your owning?

10. What pets is your sister not okay with you owning? (her saying creepy is broad as what she may find creepy, others may not)

11. What pets do you want?

12. What pets do you not want?

13. What are your fears/worries about owning a pet?

14. What is your sister's fear/worry of you owning a pet/of a new pet being in the house?

15. How often would you like to care for the pet's hygienic/grooming needs? (cleaning tank/litterbox/clipping nails/cutting fur (if needed)/assisting in the shed (if needed)? Would you prefer an animal that can take care of itself for the most part?

16. Have you thought of putting money aside for potential vet bills/potential short-term/long-term medications? (safety nets are important)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
After reading your main-post, I believe that Sea-Monkeys would be a good fit for you.

Sea-Monkeys (or Brine-Shrimp) are relatively easy to care for. (Sea-Monkeys are a Brine Shrimp Hybrid, they grow larger and live longer)(I provided a bunch of links that give better descriptions and more detail of care.)

o They are filter-feeders and remove organic particles by themselves. So do not be alarmed if you see algae growing in their tank (too much can kill them), that is their food self-producing. To help clean off the algae completely covering the tank, very carefully use a toothbrush to scrape the sides and let it fall to the bottom.

o If the water is murky/cloudy, it is not necessarily a bad thing, just stop feeding the sea monkeys until the water clears up a bit. (the monkeys will eat the murkiness/cloudiness away) (If the tank smells bad, then you will need to clean it)(usually sea-monkeys should be fed once a week, or less once algae start to grow)

o If you absolutely want/need to clean the tank, you could transfer them into a temporary holding tank with the same water. Take the dirty tank and clean it out with sink water. (Do not use soap or any chemical-based cleaners or you will kill your shrimp) Once the tank is clean, add the shrimp back in (with the same water)

o If you notice the shrimp not feeding/or being covered in algae or anything else that prevents movement, then it would be good to introduce newer water. Remove some tank water to keep, use something to scoop up the shrimp, and put them into the water you are keeping. Then you can dump the remaining tank water and clean out what decorations you have added. (make sure there are no shrimp remaining in the tank first, not sure of the effect it would cause if you dump it down the drain/toilet. Personally, I would dump it outside) Add back in the shrimp and original tank water that you saved, then add in distilled water and your conditioner packet/or just create a saltwater environment yourself.

o Sea-Monkeys can asexually/sexually reproduce. So if you lose a few shrimp along the way, if all the males happen to die, your shrimp should still reproduce. (Use a dropper to pick up the dead body/If it is a dead pregnant female, the eggs should still hatch, once hatched, you can remove the female)

o Remember to aerate your tank every so often and that the tank is at the proper temperature. (temp is provided in one of the links)

I feel like the biggest struggle would be getting the conditions correct for a healthy sea-monkey environment. But sea-monkey colonies can live up to 5 years or less, so by the time you move out, the sea-monkey colony may have run their course, if not, I also provided Reddit links that give advice on how others transported their sea-monkeys.

These links give better descriptions than I did, I just did quick research which mostly just covers tank-care/what to expect. (links even cover what to do if white-fluff builds up in tank)
https://www.sserc.org.uk/wp-content/upl ... hrimps.pdf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttlYkpcct1M
https://youtu.be/6s7OnpNp6Pw
https://youtu.be/gTRl8cu7jlc
https://youtube.com/shorts/lRZAYBJiT0I?feature=share
https://youtube.com/shorts/54ulunBUOnI?feature=share
https://youtube.com/shorts/WtZK8gtPu24?feature=share
https://www.familyfuntwincities.com/diy ... nkey-care/
https://www.reddit.com/r/SeaMonkeys/com ... a_monkeys/
https://www.reddit.com/r/SeaMonkeys/com ... or_a_week/ (if you have to travel)
https://www.familyfuntwincities.com/diy ... 20a%20week.
https://www.wikihow.com/Care-for-Sea-Mo ... 20bacteria.
https://www.wikihow.com/Feed-Sea-Monkey ... ven%20days.
https://www.flickr.com/groups/seamonkey ... lon%20tank. (why large tanks are not the best for sea-monkeys)
https://weirdscifi.ratiosemper.com/seamonkeys/care.html

Benefits to Sea-Monkeys
1. Do not require to be fed daily.
2. Do not need their tank cleaned out often. (only if you see white-fluff/smells bad/overtaken by algae)
3. Will not jump out of the tank and eat your plants.
4. Do not need daily interaction/or interaction at all.
5. Relatively cost-effective.
6. Do not require a vet.
7. Can be left alone for a couple of days.
8. Can be kept in your room.
9. Reproduce fast.
10. Do not need a large tank.

Since you do not want to clean a fish-tank out twice a week, I assume that also includes not wanting to clean a tank out once a week. Will be okay with cleaning any other animals enclosure out once-twice a week? With Sea-Monkeys you rarely have to clean the tank.

I aint gonna answer all your questions cause there's a lot; i do think right now just due to space and cause i'd rather not have to move a big ol glass tank when i do i think a sea monkey would probably be the most logical option (and also i dont think a shrimp would really care if i had to move it in about 4 years).

You have a lot of really useful and fleshed out questions and I absolutely appreciate it since some of them I didnt think about
FerretMonarch

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me