The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What kinds of rodents do you own?

Chinchilla/s
5%
Degu/s
2%
Gerbil/s
6%
Guinea Pig/s
16%
Hamster/s
18%
Mouse/mice
8%
Rat/s
20%
None :c
20%
None, but I'm getting some soon!
6%

Total votes : 2028

Re: The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread!

Postby Atheon » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:14 pm

Timber. wrote:
Blizzard;; wrote:Well, Mist likes to sleep in her little cave because I got her it...
And Silk likes to eat pebbles.... but Mist likes to eat bread instead of the pebbles...oh well XD

... Pe.. pebbles? :what:

Also, be sure to only give them tiny bits of bread- bread can easily expand in their throats and cause choking. ;)

Rat food you crazies XD

I feed them very tiny bits, and they seem to like the bread.
They/he. I like video games and music. Straight edge.
carrd
Atheon

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby GummyKarp » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:25 pm

Hi guys!
I don't have any rats right now but boy do I love the fuzzy little buggers :3 I have my hands full with 2 dogs and 3 cats.

I have had many many rats over the years (I had 27 at one point) but due to a busy life I do not have the time to devote to them right now. My favorite girls were Baby (silver hooded) and Peach (mink). Baby lived to be 2 and had to be put down due to massive tumors. Peach was the most wonderful natured girl and I had her for 6 years. Eventually arthritis took it's hold and she was peacefully put down.
I have had my share of boys too. Fabio was my favorite and was a fat little thing. I tried everything to get him to move around but he wouldn't have it. He was a blue boy with a white belly. Then there was Mario. He was white with blue patches all over and had a longer snout than my other ratties.

I used to breed rats and have had gerbils and hamsters too so I can give helpful advice in all areas :)
GummyKarp

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby vulturous » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:31 pm

i renovated the boys' cage today. they're super happy about it.
my boys are bernard and navin (settled on a name!).
(you can add that to the front page.)
vulturous

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ppig » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:38 pm

{ sureile. } wrote:
i renovated the boys' cage today. they're super happy about it.
my boys are bernard and navin (settled on a name!).
(you can add that to the front page.)

CUTENESS OVERLOAD
ppig

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kickin' up dirt » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:40 pm

Thought I'd share some pics since this is a new thread.
Prepare. Hope I'm not cluttering the thread too much. Sorry, Timber! I have another hamster and 10 others gerbils, but they'll probably be sold.
Jazz
Cotton
Violet
Muffin
Andrea
Chewy
Maggie
Fanta and Phantom
Black jack, horrid pic, sorry.
PC and Casey
Kickin' up dirt

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby meku » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:43 pm

so i have another question for y'all who have piggies-

how long did it take until your guinea pigs came out of their hut, or stayed out when you went to their cage?
inspirational quote of the day:
~ the devil works hard, but kris jenner works harder ~

hello all, i have returned from my like, what, 3-4 year hiatus???
god where in the world did time go i feel old now yikes;;;;
and yes, i forgot how to code so mind the sick sig l o l
meku

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kickin' up dirt » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:57 pm

meku wrote:

how long did it take until your guinea pigs came out of their hut, or stayed out when you went to their cage?

It took my boy about a week to get over his shyness. Now he's so loud and obnoxious that you can hear him all the way from the other side of the house.
Kickin' up dirt

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby LabRat » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:50 pm

I don't know if anyone will be able to offer any help, but I'm going to ask anyways. I just got two new bucks from our local humane society a few weeks back. When I first met them, they were both really sweet, although one was definitely shyer than the other. Anyways, everything was going fine but about two days after I get them, the shyer one, named Kryten, bit my finger while I was opening the cage, and it was a good bite. I've had plenty of rats in the past and I've had my share of troublemakers, but never one like Kryten.

At first I thought I may have just startled him, but that quickly left my mind when he did it again, intentionally running to the door to bite me while I was opening it. I know it's probably a territorial thing, but he seems just flat out vicious!

Whenever anyone stand near his cage he just freezes and stares at them until they leave. He will also attack anything I put in his cage until he figures out its not a finger. Then I can put other things through the bars and he was fine, not even giving them a second thought, but the moment I stuck my finger in the cage, and he realized it was me, he lunged at my finger.

At first it was just when you stuck your fingers through the bars, but he did actually attack my hand when I had my hand inside the cage while fixing some bedding. Naturally I'm worried about him, and he makes it hard for me to refill their food or anything. To open the cage you have to slightly put your fingers through the bars to unattach it and he always just sits there and waits. I feel terrible for his brother (who oddly enough is the dominant one of the two), because he's such a sweetie, but I can't take him out as much as I would like to because of Kryten!

I have another male rat, Squiggy, that has his own cage (I had his brother as well, but he had to be put down) and I would like to move Marvin in with him, but even though they get along fine out of their cages I still don't trust them enough to cage them together as they haven't established a dominance yet and I want to be able to intervene if it get too out of hand when they do.

Anyways, I don't have enough money to get Kryten neutered, so does anyone know any other solutions to territorial aggression? Or something else it might be?

On another subject I have a little girl that thinks its fun to chew the bars of her cage at night (Kryten actually does this as well). I've tried both lemon juice and bitter yuck spay, but neither have stopped the habit. Any suggestions?

Kryten-Don't let that cute face fool you!

Marvin <3

My little girl Nyx

Squiggy <3(The dumbo at the bottom) and his brother Lenny, who is no longer with us.

And This is one of my former rats. Her name was Boo and she was my baby, I love and miss her so much <3

The fearless Miss Boo <3

She loved to terrorizes my cat :3

The cutest picture EVER <3

<3 My baby girl

LabRat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby orpheus. » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:22 am

Ooh, lovely new thread. <3

I always get kind of edgy whenever someone says dwarf hamsters are sociable critters - sure, some enjoy company - most actually, but I guess due to my experiences I would never put two together, unless they had a massive amount of space and established their territories without bloodshed. I plan on getting more dwarf hamsters in the future - they'd have to be my favourite - as much as I love Syrians...I just like how they aren't...well, lazy and wake up a bit earlier. Whenever I went to give Silver (robo dwarf) more food, she'd wake up instantly and was automatically hyper and alert, whereas with Momo (Syrian) it takes him a long, long time to get active and he sleeps through every noise - I swear, if there was an earthquake he'd still be asleep in his enormous nest (the nest makes it difficult to clean out his cage, as it takes up half of the base and I don't want to get rid of it. It's huge and took him forever to finish.)
orpheus.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BlingBling » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:26 am

meku wrote:

For Spunky, a little over a week. For Monte, same day. He even wanted me to pet him on the way home from our Petsmart, which was pretty surprising to me. That little guy doesn't have an ounce of fear in his pint-sized body c:

Shawol - Monbebe - Carat - Insomnia
BlingBling

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me