Dog Owner Chat V. 5

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Dog Owner Chat V. 5

Postby Imzadi83 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:46 pm

Cardinal wrote:Ive been stretched really thin recently and havent had a chance to really be around.

Sardonyx had a vet visit Monday where she got a yearly work up and we went ahead and had her spayed. I wanted to keep her intact longer but she made it until 2 years old, which is generally my personal requirement lol, and with family living with us and Sentry being an intact male.. I cant trust folks in the house to follow my directions when she goes into heat next time. I can easily crate and rotate, keep an eagle eye, etc as can my husband but throw in well meaning family... yeah no. We nearly had an incident with her last heat as I got stuck at my tattoo shop far longer than I thought itd take and family let them out to go potty and family couldnt remember if they went out together or seperate. It was seperate but.. how do you not remember?!

She got a glowing review from staff and on her chart shes in great shape... except heartworm positive. Ive had time to process but I was devastated. Got her history and we either got extremely unlucky using preventative or shes been carrying them since we got her. Until recently most vets in our area used a filter test; the test would detect heartworms in the llarval stage. Dogs on prevention can easily pass these as prevention kills the larval stage while still carrying adult worms. Now they use a test that detects a hormone the adult female worm puts off. She has a medium load which is probably several active female worms.

A routine vax, check up, and spay has turned into a $1,000 vet bill. : throws confetti:. For the next month she will be on doxycycline twice a day. Heartworms share a symbiotic relationship with an organism that aids in most of its functions including reproduction. A high prolonged dose of doxy kills these organisms and renders adult heartworms weakened and infertile. From there she gets a shot of medication to kill the adult worms and stays with the vet, later two more shots and two more over nights. Its a 6 month process and Im leaving stuff out but thats the treatment gist. Hurray.

Its like... you do everything right and still get slapped.

Ouch, I'd never heard of that in regards to heartworm. I'm going to ask my vet what kind of test they use next time I'm there.

I'm glad Sardonyx's spay went well. Yeah, it's amazing how quickly vet bills can escalate.

@halogen. - It's hard to say since some dogs do fine mixing raw with kibble and some don't. There's no way to know unless you try. You can also give the chicken feet at another time, like midday or at least a couple hours after they've eaten their kibble, that might be easier if they do have a sensitive tummy. You could also offer dried feet instead of raw. Be aware though if your dog is a gulper they may not get as much teeth cleaning effects as you would like. In that case I'd try something else that takes them longer to eat.

Do you brush their teeth? My vet recommened this https://www.healthymouth.com/DOG_Essential_Healthymouth_Topical_Gel_2oz_Jar_p/dg02.htm, and I've also used http://www.petzlife.com/ as well which seems to help.
Looking for a real life pet? http://www.petfinder.com Adopt a homeless Pet!
Give Food To Homeless Pets FREE & Freekibble
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby oddball1234 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:09 pm

I meant to post this a few days ago but forgot. xD Killian is now 6 months old :D turned that on the 15th! he is like 11 pounds now ^^
I did finally get him a comb and a slicker brush and i brush him like every other day. He's slowly getting use to it. yesterday he let me put him on his back and stayed there chilling while I brushed his chest and some of his legs.

he's grown sooo much

Last edited by oddball1234 on Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

╔═════════════════════════╗

“All I can see is my life
flashing before my eyes.
But that’s okay: I always skip
the boring bits.”

╚═════════════════════════╝

oddball1234

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:15 pm

^ Aw he's adorable. Way to go on getting used to grooming.
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:20 pm

^ LOL, I love Oppie's expressions. He should be a meme.
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Temper » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:23 pm

I love doing my own grooming!
I recently got a dremel so I’ve been doing the nails every few days. I also keep his toe hairs and ear hairs from getting too overgrown by trimming with the scissors every so often. I think I have too much fun haha.

.......... Image Krasivi Collies
...........Image Krasivi Trotters
...........Image Krasivi Euphorians
...........Image Krasivi Wolfhounds
...........Image Lone Bashkir Curlies
...........Image Andaluz Sport Horses

....................Image
Temper

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Rachel Amber » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:41 pm

Never posted here before, hi!

I rescued my dog Sydney, a black lab and pitbull mix, about 5 years ago from a kill shelter and she's grown up to be healthy and amazing. She's pretty big for a female, about 96 pounds. She's pretty well behaved but she barks a lot and I've tried to stop it, but she hasn't gotten better. She's super sweet though, whenever I go downstairs my mom says she just stares at me, because I'm basically her mom and she is very clingy and protective of me. She's my first dog, but I'm loving the experience.
Rachel Amber

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:55 pm

Anyone ever do feather hair extensions for your dog? Chloe's hair won't hold a bow, even using a dental rubber band and a hemostat, but I was thinking maybe a crimp bead might have a better chance of staying in.
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Luzien » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:24 pm

Imzadi83 wrote:Anyone ever do feather hair extensions for your dog? Chloe's hair won't hold a bow, even using a dental rubber band and a hemostat, but I was thinking maybe a crimp bead might have a better chance of staying in.

not sure about this :)
but why not, try it, but please tell how it did go :D

or..maybe try rubberband with those soft cover like you use for small kids?

also try to brush her top hair up with slicker brush then put in the rubber band and then the bow or clip or such
or

something like those, from Amazon or other places for Dogs...dog Show..

- Ezerbery 40 pcs 1.8" Baby Girls Ribbon Hair Bow Clips Barrettes
-Hair Bands Ties Elastics Toddler Baby Girl, 100 PCS 10 Colors, No Crease Ponytail Holders, Tiny Soft Rubber Bands for Baby Kids Women Men, 7MM Small Size No Aches Durable

-Roche Ornament – Pack of 6. No-Slip Grip Premium Quality Hair Clip Transparent Brown Color with Super Strong Solid Spring for Thick Long Hair-Pumpkin Design
-Scunci No Slip Octopus Jaw Clips, 6 ct, Mini, 2.5 cm
-Pet Silk, Inc. Top Knot Gel
-100 Pack Orthodontic Elastics 1/4" MULTIPLE MIXED NEON COLORED Rubber Bands Great for Dog Grooming Top Knots, Bows, Braids, and Dreadlocks
-Set of 12 Black Mini Silicone Non Slip Hair Elastics

-english Hunt Dressage 800 Count TUB Braiding Banding Bands Braiding Comb Mane
-Braiding Thread Black 4oz Spool
-Straight Arrow Mane N Tail Spray and Braid Formula for Professional Braiding (maybe a tiny bit of this , or something i did see for Dogs but dont know the Name anymore^^)
Please klick them or they will die°°!!!
http://dragcave.net/user/Miriya I really search for the 2013 SUMMER EVENT missed pets
- the store pets and pets from wl, I search for german shepherds and rainbow doted dogs of '09--other dream pets ) RPG Costumes -Mage - Necromancer--RPG Flags and Banner-sun- moon...^//^
search this items:
Image-Image--Image-Image-Image
Luzien

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:06 am

Luzien wrote:
Imzadi83 wrote:Anyone ever do feather hair extensions for your dog? Chloe's hair won't hold a bow, even using a dental rubber band and a hemostat, but I was thinking maybe a crimp bead might have a better chance of staying in.

not sure about this :)
but why not, try it, but please tell how it did go :D

or..maybe try rubberband with those soft cover like you use for small kids?

also try to brush her top hair up with slicker brush then put in the rubber band and then the bow or clip or such
or

something like those, from Amazon or other places for Dogs...dog Show..

- Ezerbery 40 pcs 1.8" Baby Girls Ribbon Hair Bow Clips Barrettes
-Hair Bands Ties Elastics Toddler Baby Girl, 100 PCS 10 Colors, No Crease Ponytail Holders, Tiny Soft Rubber Bands for Baby Kids Women Men, 7MM Small Size No Aches Durable

-Roche Ornament – Pack of 6. No-Slip Grip Premium Quality Hair Clip Transparent Brown Color with Super Strong Solid Spring for Thick Long Hair-Pumpkin Design
-Scunci No Slip Octopus Jaw Clips, 6 ct, Mini, 2.5 cm
-Pet Silk, Inc. Top Knot Gel
-100 Pack Orthodontic Elastics 1/4" MULTIPLE MIXED NEON COLORED Rubber Bands Great for Dog Grooming Top Knots, Bows, Braids, and Dreadlocks
-Set of 12 Black Mini Silicone Non Slip Hair Elastics

-english Hunt Dressage 800 Count TUB Braiding Banding Bands Braiding Comb Mane
-Braiding Thread Black 4oz Spool
-Straight Arrow Mane N Tail Spray and Braid Formula for Professional Braiding (maybe a tiny bit of this , or something i did see for Dogs but dont know the Name anymore^^)

The thing is that no matter how tight I pull the hair through the rubber band (I can't physically get it any tighter) it still won't stay put. Her hair is just too silky. No barrette will stay either, one good shake and it's gone.

I didn't think of adding anything to the hair, I'll look into that. Thanks for the idea! :)
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Naeco » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:52 am

Anyone ever try bikejoring with their dog/s? And not like run alongside the bike, actually pulling. Skai absolutely loves it. I tried it before the snow and she is amazing besides the fact that when she sees dogs she needs to say hi. Any tips for that?

I would be on the bike, by myself, so I cannot correct her or treat her. I always have a line hooked to her collar so I was thinking maybe verbal correction then prong correction? It worked when I trained her to walk properly.
Links
http://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3303502
MainThingaMajiger

Pets

Maple Creek
Naeco

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups