mods please close

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: SeaWorld and Marine Mammal Captivity

Postby sun struck » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:00 pm

I love killer whales. They are just so beautiful and majestic and powerful. I don't think I could have ever seen them for real if it wasn't for seaworld.

Now, hang on. This does not mean I think they should hold orcas in captivity. Studying orcas in captivity is like studying prisoners. Orcas are apparently having mental and physical health problems. I love them way too much to have them put in a tank ,where they are slowly dying, even if that was the one and only chance I could see them in real life during my whole entire lifetime. They are just one of those animals who have a free heart. Their freedom and sole cannot be harnessed and shall never be harnessed.
sun struck

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Gypaetus Barbatus » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:59 pm

Captivity aside, this post is super important! Please read and please help wherever you can!

J28 Polaris and J54 Dipper, March 2016 (Photo credit: Dave Ellifrit)

Another orca from the endangered Southern Resident Killer Whale population has died.

Researchers believe that J28 Polaris died of a combination of starvation and septicemia resulting from birthing complications. The whale showed signs of poor condition in January 2016, about a month after her son J54 Dipper was born, and appeared emaciated in July. Her seven-year-old daughter, J46 Star, was seen attempting to feed both J28 Polaris and J54 Dipper as J28 Polaris’s condition steadily worsened.

By October 19, J28 Polaris had disappeared. Researchers believe that she died sometime between October 16 and 18, probably in the Strait of Juan de Fuca. Her body has not been found.

J28 Polaris was about 24 years old. She gave birth to her son J54 Dipper in December of last year during the 2015 “baby boom.” J54 Dipper will not survive without his mother, despite his older sister J46 Star’s best efforts to save him. When last seen, he was barely able to swim on his own, and his body was covered in tooth marks – evidence that his sister J46 Star and cousin J47 Notch had been carrying him to the surface to help him breathe.

J54 Dipper’s rake marks (Photo credit: Mark Malleson)

It is possible, perhaps likely, that J54 Dipper is already dead.

J28 Polaris’s death was announced and her obituary read on October 28 at a press conferenceput on by the Center for Whale Research.

J28 Polaris with J54 Dipper on October 2 2016 (Photo credit: Ken Balcomb)

With J28 Polaris’s death, and J54 Dipper likely to follow her, the Southern Resident Killer Whale population will stand at only 80 individuals. To say that the future of this iconic population is uncertain would be an understatement.

Simply put, the Southern Residents are starving to death.

To learn more about why J28 Polaris died and why her young son will likely die, and what you can do to help (it’s easier than you think), please read on.

Southern Resident Killer Whales, like most populations of orca, are highly specialized hunters: they are limited in their prey choices and cannot easily adapt to a new diet when a prey species disappears. This is a major problem for the Southern Residents, because about 80% of their diet consists of Chinook salmon and Chinook salmon are in very short supply in the Pacific Northwest. Habitat loss in the Columbia-Snake River Basin and overfishing have decimated wild salmon stocks. In particular, the damming of the salmon’s breeding habitat has prevented the salmon populations from returning to their historic levels.

Without a healthy population of salmon, the Southern Residents will not be able to maintain their population, much less increase it.

The lack of food available for the Southern Residents is exacerbated by the pollution of their home waters. The Salish Sea is heavily contaminated with polychlorinated hydrocarbons (PCBs), mercury, lead, and other toxins. These toxins accumulate in the whales’ blubber in a process called biomagnification: as orca eat their prey, their bodies store the toxins that their prey have consumed, and the toxins that the prey’s prey have consumed, and so on. When mother whales do not have enough food to produce milk for their calves, they must break down their blubber to feed their babies. The concentrated toxins from the blubber pass into the milk and then into the calf, who suffers from resulting developmental and health complications.

While these two major problems – food scarcity and pollution – exacerbate each other, the lack of a dependable food source is by far the most pressing.

Luckily, there are active steps we can take, right now, to restore salmon populations.

Enter the Snake River Dams.

The Snake River is the primary tributary of the Columbia River, and the Lower Snake River and the Lower Columbia River both have four dams that spawning salmon must overcome in order to reproduce. Historically, about half the salmon in the Columbia-Snake River Basin were spawned in the Lower Snake River.

Research shows that breaching the Lower Snake River Dams will allow Snake River salmon to rebound to healthy levels/url], [url=http://www.wildsalmon.org/facts-and-information/myths-and-facts-about-lower-snake-river-dam-removal.html]reduce greenhouse gas emissions and pollution, reduce costs to taxpayers who have already spent a great deal of money attempting to salvage the underperforming dams, and more.

Dam removal has worked very well for ecosystem and salmon restoration in other rivers in the US, including the Elwha River in Washington and the Penobscot River in Maine. It’s clear that dam removal works, and its benefits go beyond salmon recovery.

Unfortunately, despite the research showing the benefits of dam removal on the Lower Snake River and dam removal in general, federal agencies have not yet seriously considered breaching the Lower Snake River Dams as a means of salmon restoration in the Columbia-Snake River Basin.

Salmon and orca researchers alike have expressed extreme frustration with these agencies’ hesitation to do what is needed to save the salmon and the whales, and a federal judge has required federal agencies to come up with a plan that adequately addresses the problems salmon are facing - including breaching the dams if need be.

To be perfectly clear: if salmon populations do not rebound, the Southern Resident Killer Whales will go extinct.

To be perfectly clear again: removing the Lower Snake River Dams gives salmon the best chance to recover.

If the Lower Snake River Dams are not removed, the Southern Residents will slowly and collectively starve to death.

It’s time to take down the Snake River Dams.

WHAT YOU CAN DO TO HELP:

Call President Obama to demand the breach of the Snake River Dams:
- Call 202-456-1111
- Tell President Obama’s representative that you support the breaching of the Snake River Dams to restore wild salmon populations in the Columbia-Snake River Basin, rather than continued futile efforts to restore the ecosystem through other means.
- That’s it. If you have phone anxiety, write a script and read from it. The person listening won’t mind. Believe me. I’ve been the person listening. They won’t mind.

Send a message to Governor Jay Inslee, or call him at 360-902-4111.

Send a message to Senator Maria Cantwell, or call her at 202-224-3441.

Send a message to Senator Patty Murray, or call her at 202-224-2621.

Sign the petitions against the Snake River Dams.

Support the Center for Whale Research so that they will have the resources they need to assist the Southern Residents in their recovery after the dams are breached.

Support the Whale Museum and their continued efforts to educate the public about the challenges the Southern Residents face. (Whale adoptions make great gifts!)

The Southern Residents are out of time. We need to take down the dams.

Please help if you can.

Tumblr post by Volk-Morya.
name's alec. legally an adult and thus paying bills. they/them or he/him pronouns have my preference.
Gypaetus Barbatus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MirroredFate » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:40 pm

Wait,hold up, SeaWorld has moved on from their terrible ways?
dank memes yo
MirroredFate

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby SmokeyKitty » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:45 am

I'd like to note that if you do not live in the United States, you can still message/call Washington Governor Jay Inslee and President Obama!

If you're not sure what to write, use this letter I wrote as a template to create your own letter (individuality grabs attention better - try to make the letter your own somehow). You can also find important discussion points here that you should include in your letter. Every voice counts!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxx
██ █
██ █
██ █
██ █
██ █
██ █
██ █
██ █

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
credit - tumblr - 500px - DA - redbubble
Alis volat propriis.
"She Flies With Her Own Wings."

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
█ ██
█ ██
█ ██
█ ██
█ ██
█ ██
█ ██
█ ██
SmokeyKitty

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Gypaetus Barbatus » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:53 am

SmokeyKitty wrote:
I'd like to note that if you do not live in the United States, you can still message/call Washington Governor Jay Inslee and President Obama!

If you're not sure what to write, use this letter I wrote as a template to create your own letter (individuality grabs attention better - try to make the letter your own somehow). You can also find important discussion points here that you should include in your letter. Every voice counts!

I wanted to add this but I forgot. ;; Great addition!
name's alec. legally an adult and thus paying bills. they/them or he/him pronouns have my preference.
Gypaetus Barbatus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby FlightOwl » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:55 pm

I don't support the Seaworld animal captivity.
I don't feel as though they have enough space, and the animals have become claustrophobic, and due to this the Orcas have become 'vicious' because they are confined in a tiny space. I know they are expanding the space, but its STILL not big enough for their freedom. In fact, I don't support zoos either. Keeping animals confined into a small space is horrible, and in my opinion, is animal abuse. The regular argument towards this statement is usually "The animals in zoos/aquariums are endangered, and we are keeping them under human observation so they don't go extinct." WELL, my friend, since my main argument is about the space issue, I'd suggest putting the animals in reserves. Reserves being massive areas built in their normal home, that have to be at LEAST 100 x 100 square kilometres. They will have sufficient fencing surrounding them. They can still be under surveillance by the humans, as they can have hidden security cameras around the reserve. I feel like this is a better option for zoos. It is more important to save the animals rather than put them on display for humans to stare at in zoos. Now, sorry, I got a little off topic. Rather then having Seaworld, we could have an underwater reserve (in the sea) for the animals. I understand this means that not everybody in the world can see them, but this is the better option for the animals. That's my opinion, thanks for reading. My other argument is that the animals are depressed. The Killer whales and other animals have been dying due to depression.
~ FlightO
FlightOwl

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby SmokeyKitty » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:39 pm

Another Southern Resident has been found dead off the coast of British Columbia. This time it was an adult male known as J-34 Doublestuf. The Southern Residents are now down to just 79 members.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxx
██ █
██ █
██ █
██ █
██ █
██ █
██ █
██ █

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
credit - tumblr - 500px - DA - redbubble
Alis volat propriis.
"She Flies With Her Own Wings."

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
█ ██
█ ██
█ ██
█ ██
█ ██
█ ██
█ ██
█ ██
SmokeyKitty

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MerciResolution » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:38 am

The latest in this heartbreaking string of SRKW deaths is now J2 Granny, believed to be anywhere from 76 to 106 years old.

The population is now down to only 78, with J-Pod consisting of a mere 24 individuals.
.:MerciResolution. Christian, Artist, RIP Tilikum. Retire Shamu:.
~Rest in Peace, J2 Granny.~
.:DeviantArt:..:Tumblr:.
"A dolphin's smile is nature's greatest deception. It creates the illusion they're always happy."
---
MerciResolution

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby magnapinna » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:07 am

Tilikum is dead..

Swim in peace.

-pfp by lifora
magnapinna

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Gypaetus Barbatus » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:08 am

Tilikum, a very beloved by so many, has passed and I'm so upset. We've lost so many killer whales in the span of a year it's kinda ridiculous.
Gypaetus Barbatus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me