Dog Owner Chat v4

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Dog Owner Chat v4

Postby orpheus. » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:02 pm

Just marking this. x
╔═════════════════════╗

𝑊𝐸'𝐿𝐿 𝑁𝐸𝑉𝐸𝑅 𝐺𝐸𝑇 𝑇𝑂 𝐻𝐸𝐴𝑉𝐸𝑁 𝑂𝑁 𝐴 𝑁𝐼𝐺𝐻𝑇 𝐿𝐼𝐾𝐸 𝑇𝐻𝐼𝑆.

those nights when your friends are gone,
when you're holding on for someone to leave with

those nights when you crave someone
to be there at dawn, to wake with, 'cause aren't we all just
looking for a little bit of hope these days?

oekaki . art insta . @danti#6119 .

╚═════════════════════╝
orpheus.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby mr.robot » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:03 pm

Undie wrote:heya! is this a good place to ask for doggo advice?

Yup. Unless it's medical.

.kestral wrote:If I wanted advice on a dog breed to fit a certain lifestyle what info would you guys need?

Your typical day to day routine. Previous experience with dogs. Your lifestyle. Weight range, size range, training ability range, whether or not you're capable of grooming dogs who are high maintenance in that respect. Things like that.
mr.robot

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .kestral » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:15 pm

Okay, bearing in mind this is a year, maybe two in the future.

Previous experiance is where I'm going to start. I have owned personally, a staffy (when I was young), two mutts (young), a border collie from the age of 8-20, a lurcher x rottweiler, a saluki x bc, and two patterdales. I have also worked with a range of dogs, helping friends and family with there dogs.

Daily routine, I work part time, mostly evenings, my partner works full time, mostly mornings. One of us is always in the house unless we are out shopping. We don't live alone together yet, but it is in our plan, our options are a two bedroom flat or bungalow, or a two bed house. We are leaning towards the bungalow due to location, the fact its really nice and a few other factors. Its also the only one with a decent garden. I am more active than him, I am happy to be out for hours walking, I often go for walks and swims with a friend and her Toller haha.

I don't mind starting from the very bottom, we did so with one of the Patterdales, the bc and the lurcher x. I have also helped friends house train, and generally trick train there dogs including things they didn't think were required like nest (I use it instead of bed as bed for my dogs has always been my actual bed. Nest is there dog bed for when I needed them settled out the way).
Weight and size are no issue, I prefer larger dogs though, or medium dogs. Training, I don't mind a dog that slower to teach, as long as they can learn with enough effort. I am personally able to groom a dog to a decent degree, and my neighbour who I get on very well with (we often buy reptile food in bulk together, I saved her beardie from choking) works in a vets that has a grooming parlour that she is fully trained in. She has openly said when I get a dog she will help me out.

One random thing, I love swimming, and having a dog willing to get in the water with me would be fantastic.

Anything else you need?

Have you had dogs before? What breeds?
Border Collie
Lurcher X Rottweiler
Saluki x Border Collie
Patterdale
Staffy
Two random mutts, can't remember specifics.

Are there any breeds that have already caught your eye? If so, why?
I would adore another Collie, but honestly since losing my boy I don't think I could own a collie again. Too many memories.
Dobermans and Rottweilers are both breeds I adore and have done some research into. Tollers again, one of my favorite breeds, and potentially one I would honestly consider.

How much time a day do you have to devote to training your dog?
Any dog I own wouldn't be alone very often and so every part of the day is an oppertunity for training. Obviously it would depend on the breed and how they learn, but could potentially spend a couple of hours a day working on different things.

What kind of grooming needs are you prepared to handle?
As said above, any and all levels of grooming are fine with us. Shedding is no issue either.

What kind of energy level are you looking for?
Medium to high energy levels would be good. I like to be out, I'm not a fan of sitting around and would love a dog willing to be out and about with me. We could easily between us fit in 4-5 hours worth of walks in a day. More on days off.

What do you plan on doing with your dog?
I said above, I would love a dog who would swim. I love being in the water at the beach, lakes, holidays. A lot of places I visit regularly have dog friendly swimming areas and pools and such so that would be brilliant. I openly admit I have no plans of showing or anything with any dog I own. Unless they are little fun shows which happen a lot around me.

What size dog are you wanting?
Medium to large. There are small breeds I would consider? But not many. Not a fan of small dogs.

What age dog are you looking for?
Preferably a pup, because I like to train from the very begining. But really anything, I am not even set on a breed a mix or rescue mix or something would work. Just trying to find out if I went breed route what would be best.

What kind of livestyle do you live? (Active, couch potato etc)
I'm quite active. 90% of my cs posts come from the middle of a field, or a hill overlooking the city I live in and stuff. I like to be moving.
Last edited by .kestral on Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Having serious issues viewing dark colours at the moment. May delay replys to pms. Sorry.

The Leopard Pups
Grey, Black and White. The world revolves and we go with it. Twisting in this everlasting monotony, eyes of green and gold, watching and waiting for our chance, our time. Cytor, Liliana, Serenade, Bayonet, the Prankster, the sweet one, the mother and the lost soul. There birth was a lost event, one in a million, two wandering souls met in the shadows, and these four were created. There pups are the stuff of legend, one lost there sight, one lost there path, one lost there love and the other? The other lost his family, everyone they cared about. He lost his family.
.kestral

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Mako. » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:19 pm

.kestral wrote:If I wanted advice on a dog breed to fit a certain lifestyle what info would you guys need?

The dog subsection on Reddit has a really nice and detailed questionnaire for dog breed advice c:

Code: Select all

What breeds are you interested in and why? If not specific breeds, then what types of dogs are you interested in? Some examples of types include herding dogs, retrievers, small terriers, and more.

What role is your dog expected to fill and how do you envision your dog fulfilling that role? Here's a brief list to get you started: companion, hobby (tricks and casual sports participation), working dog, serious dog sports prospect, watch dog (intruder deterrent), service dog for a disability, emotional support animal to mitigate mental illness, etc. Click here if you’re interested in more than just a watch dog.

What experience do you have owning dogs? How about training dogs? Have you been the primary caregiver of a dog before? If yes, what breed(s)? What is your experience with puppy or senior dog care?

Do you have other pets or are you planning on having other pets? If so, what breed/type, age, and sex are they? Please include cats and small animals.

Do you have children or are you planning on having children? Do you often have children as visitors, such as nieces, nephews, cousins, or friends' children? If you have children or children visitors, what are their ages? If you're planning on kids, when?

Do you rent or will you be renting in the future? If so, what breed or weight restrictions are on your lease? What type of building do you rent (condo, apartment, high-rise apartment, townhome, single-family home, etc)?

Who lives in your household and who will be responsible for taking care of the dog? How do the other members of the household feel about having a new dog?

How often do you have visitors to your home?

Do you have a preference for rescuing a dog vs. going through a knowledgeable and reputable breeder? Please consider adopting a dog from a rescue or shelter. Look for a rescue organization that fosters their animals to get a more reliable assessment of a rescue dog’s behavior and needs. If you need a dog with very predictable health and behavior, you must go through a good breeder—not craigslist, not the newspaper, not Puppyfind or Kijiji, or anywhere else. Here is an introduction on why the quality of breeder is important and here is a list of questions that can help you find a good breeder. Feel free to search the subreddit or make your own post for more information.

Do you want a puppy, a young adult (1-3 years), an adult, or a senior? Why? Puppy- huge time commitment required, adult personality/behavior unknown and impacted by early life experience but ultimately limited by genetics; Young adult- youthful exuberance and energy without the puppy headache, adult temperament/behavioral traits mostly apparent but fairly moldable by new life experiences; adult- personality fully formed but slightly moldable by new life experiences, steady energy requirements; senior- old, lazy, needs cuddles, grateful to be adopted.

What size dog are you looking for? Give the approximate height of the dog at the shoulders or mention breeds that are around the size you want. Also indicate if there are sizes you really don't want. Here is a size chart for your convenience.

How much barking is too much barking? Are you put-off by other, quieter vocalizations like grumbling or mumbling?

How much regular brushing are you willing to do?

How much shedding do you think you can handle? Some breeds of dogs shed more than others. Some breeds don't shed, but require trimming or other coat maintenance instead.

Are you open to trimming your dog's hair, cleaning ears, clipping nails, or doing other grooming at home? If not, would you be willing to pay a professional to do it regularly? Dogs that don't shed require regular trimming and other grooming to maintain their coat. All dogs need nail maintenance. Many breeds need regular ear cleaning.

How do you feel about slobber? What about farts? All dogs drool, but some breeds leave a slime trail. Others tend to be abnormally gassy.

How eager-to-please or independent do you want your dog to be? Eagerness to please is known as being "biddable". Do you want your dog to listen to you because that's what dogs should do, or do you not mind if your dog ignores you unless you have something they want? Are you okay with something in between? Independent dogs require more motivation and effort to train and are less likely to look to you for help, giving the impression of being stubborn.

What sorts of training do you want your adult dog to have? Being able to learn a lot of commands and tricks is known as being "trainable". Think about the level of training your adult needs to have, as well. Aspirations beyond "sit", "stay", and "down" will be easier for some breeds than others. Some breeds struggle to get the basics.

Is there any behavior you can’t accommodate? For example, aggression towards other dogs, stealing/carrying household objects, mouthiness, unbreakable focus on small animals, barking at the door, escaping enclosures, etc. Many undesirable behaviors are related to training and habits, but some are breed-related.

How important is being able to let your dog roam off-leash in an unfenced area? Be aware of your area's leash laws and follow them.

How long can you exercise your dog each day, on average? What kinds of exercise are you planning to give your dog regularly? For example, biking in the neighborhood for an hour, several 20 minute leisurely neighborhood strolls, two-hour long visits to the dog park, 45 minutes of fetch in a fenced yard, regular hiking or swimming, doggy day care two days a week, etc. For jogging or running, please include pace, distance, and terrain covered. Take note that puppies can’t start regularly biking/running/jogging until they’re over a year old, so think of ways to exercise your dog for the first year or two, as well.

How long do you have to devote to mental stimulation each day? Mental stimulation is necessary for many working breeds and encompasses training of all kinds, from basic obedience training at home to training for a serious competitive sport, or even training for a real job. Games and puzzles where you actively engage the dog count as mental stimulation too.

Where will the dog be kept when alone and where will the dog sleep? Will the dog be crated, kept in a single room, left to roam the house, kept outside in a yard, in a dog run, or somewhere else?

How often and for how long will the dog be left alone? On an average day, how long will nobody be in the house?

If needed, could you hire a dog walker, pay for doggy day care, or come home during lunch to take care of your dog? Puppies need to be let out every few hours and your schedule should be flexible for the first few months of owning a new puppy. Adults can be left alone all day, but more than 9-10 hours is pushing it.

What is the average temperature of a typical summer day where you live? A typical winter day? Please indicate Celsius or Fahrenheit. Also include the climate of places you may move to, if known.

On a scale of 1 to 10, how prepared are you to care for a dog and prioritize its well-being over your career, entertainment, or other life choices for the next 12 or more years? Do you have an emergency plan for the dog in case something were to happen to you or your living situation?

Are you aware of the costs associated with dog ownership on an average annual basis? Have you budgeted for additional emergency veterinary care and/or pet insurance? Dogs are expensive. If you can’t afford the maintenance costs of a dog including routine vet care, emergency vet care, and medications, then you can’t afford a new dog. Please fully budget for your new pet. The purchase price of the animal is a drop in the bucket compared to the lifetime costs associated with caring for that animal.

You obviously do NOT have to answer location questions, as I'm not sure if that's allowed here. Credit given to the r/dogs of Reddit.

Edit;; removed location question
Last edited by Mako. on Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Our Last Night~ Oak Island wrote:
The mystery continues

Hundreds of feet below the ground,

A treasure that cannot be found.

Could it be our true history?

Unsolved and undecided,

Buried deep beneath an island

Female

bye-bye-bisexual

Violinist

Flight Rising
Mako.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Saracirce » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:38 pm

You are not allowed to reveal any person information on CS, including where you live.
"Only ignorance! Only ignorance! How can you talk about only ignorance? Don't you know that it is the worst thing in the world, next to wickedness? - and which does the most mischief, heaven only knows. If people can say 'Oh! I did not know, I did not mean any harm,' they think it is all right."
~ Black Beauty by Anna Sewell
Saracirce

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Transkitty » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:46 pm

I'll be putting a skeleton for people looking for breed suggestions in the reference post! Thanks for the reminder!

As for the topic of a vegan diet for dogs, I don't recommend them. Dogs are considered “facultative” carnivores, meaning that they are true carnivores (flesh eaters), but they need not depend solely on animal matter to meet all of their nutritional needs. They can survive on other sources of food, such as plants and insects, for a time or as a supplement when meat is scarce. The thing you have to keep in mind is that surviving and thriving are two different things. A lot of dogs on vegan diets suffer from dull coats and eyes, a lack of energy and a shortened life span.

Here's an article that goes more into depth about this.

Also I'm glad everyone likes the new layout! I was thinking of featuring various thread members dogs every two months or so. If you'd like to see your dog(s) used on one of the first posts, just pm me! You can decide which post if you'd like, or you can leave it up to me. Your dog's name and your name will be placed under their photo as well!
Last edited by Transkitty on Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Transkitty

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby shadow~wolf » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:03 pm

new pictures coming soon!

𝐬𝐡𝐚𝐝𝐨𝐰
𝑠𝘩𝑒/𝘩𝑒𝑟
═════
█████
─────

═════

───────────────────
hi! my name is shadow &
i am a dog enthusiast &
writer! artist, roleplayer.
pms open!!
═══════════
TH ✧ art ✧ link here ✧ ©
───────────────────

shadow~wolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Pizza Lover #1 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:43 pm

Does any one have information on huskies? I really want to own a husky some day and I want to know all the facts there is to a husky.
You can PM me the answers as well as put them here. I also wanted to ask, are huskies good dogs with children?
Pizza Lover #1

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Keletheryl » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:49 pm

I think in the future i'd like to breed some sort of dog.
I'm not sure what kind yet; I've always wanted to breed huskies but I have a love for pit bulls.

Either way, I'd obviously make sure to do it properly and for the better of the breed.

If I was to breed huskies I'd want to breed them as working dogs, of course they'd probably end up as pets but they'd have the potential to be working dogs if anybody wanted one.

For the pit bulls, I'd want to make sure to help breed the "aggression out of them". To help the breed become more like companion dogs and less of fighting dogs. I would love to help out in that way.

Just my luck.. posted on the other thread just before it closed haha

╭━━━━━━━━╮
• Stamps •

╰━━━━━━━━╯
╭━━━━━━━━╮
• Credit •
NebulaWolf
╰━━━━━━━━╯
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╭━━━━━━━━━━━━━━╮
• Bio •
Hello! My name is Keletheryl. I love
all things fantasy or mythological. I
live in Canada, BC! I am an animal
lover and own lots of pets! See you
around!

╰━━━━━━━━━━━━━━╯

Keletheryl

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby mr.robot » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:03 pm

.kestral wrote:Okay, bearing in mind this is a year, maybe two in the future. -SNIPPED-

Wow! I'm not gonna lie, I never expect to find anything good when someone asks me questions like this. You seem like you have the time, space, money and passion for a dog and that's wonderful - I cant wait for you to begin your adventure!

Breed wise, I think you should take a look at the following:

- retrievers (golden, labrador, flat, etc.)
- spaniels (field line imo, the drivey-er the better for you, i think)
- rottweilers
- dobermans (please research these deeply. theyre not a lighthearted breed.)
- australian shepherd
- belgian shepherd (lots of research into these guys too!)
- rhodesian ridgeback

these are just a few that i can think of off the top of my head.
mr.robot

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me