Cat Chat 2

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Cat Chat 2

Postby zlotoz » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:13 pm

My mom and I just adopted the most gorgeous girl from the shelter yesterday! She is a fluffy all black love monster who is about 15 years old. We have decided to name her Selina after Selina Kyle (aka Catwoman.) This is the sweetest, most loving cat I have ever met. When you hold her she just headbutts your face over and over and purrs. She follows you around the room and just wants nothing more than your constant love and attention.

She was given up because she had bladder stones and her family of 14 years couldn't afford the surgery. The shelter was able to get the surgery done and she was adopted out by another woman who brought her back after 3 months because she stopped using the litter box. I think this was because she took Selina off of her prescription food, which apparently her vet said was ok to do! So dumb!!

I mostly just wanted to brag because I am exploding to tell the world about this sweet little kitty. If you take anything from this though please know that older animals are just incredible and that shelter pets rock!!!!
zlotoz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby samm. » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:37 pm

@veggie Aw, your boys are both adorable! Winston reminds me of my boy Tonka, he has similar facial markings, the under the nose one is almost identical to his! I'm glad you and the other volunteers helped Oliver and his siblings out, that vet must of been out of their mind, honestly, how could anyone mistake a 3 week old for anything other than a 3 week old?? >.<

@zlotoz Congratulations on the new addition to the family! I absolutely adore older animals as well ^_^

Lunarsnow wrote:I'm assuming Theo is red/ginger since you've got tortoiseshell kittens? But regardless, if he's not dilute himself then yep both mama and papa are carriers since they had two lovely little dilute ladies. If he is dilute then Prue is still a carrier since the dilute kittens need two dilute genes to have it visible.

Hm, are you sure your black kitten isn't male? If dad's red then all mollies should be torties since he'd pass his red X while mom would pass her black X making tortie girls while toms could be either red or black since they're XY rather than XX.

I just realized I've yet to even mention what Theo looks like, oops..! Theo is red/white, here's a picture I took of them all just a little while ago. Also, I checked just shortly before taking that picture and I'm positive that the black kitten is a female.

Linda-058 wrote:What breed is Prue anyway?

Domestic Shorthair.
samm.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Shooting Stars » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:20 am

Hello! ^-^ I've been stalking this thread for a while now, I thought maybe it was time to post. c:
I have two furbabies, Toby and Harley. <3

I kind of had a small problem though, with Harley. But before anything, I just want to say that I love Harley so much. I used to think tabbies were plain and boring until this sweetheart came into my life. So please don't think I hate him or anything </3

He has a really annoying habit of waking people up, mainly my mom. Once-in-a-while (last night), he wakes me up.
He'll jump on your bed with full force, landing on your stomach (at least for me), purring extremely loud. For a few minutes, he'll allow you to pet him and he'll mark your fist over and over. But then he gets overstimulated and starts to bite, the upper arm by your armpit and stuff, so you gotta hide your arms (and sometimes legs) from him. Sometimes, he'll actually climb under the blankets just to bite you. He'll try to pull the blanket down if it's covering your face, and he also loves to sneeze on faces. If you so happen to lift your head, he thinks you're awake and comes back. He tries to come up on your pillows too, and my mom and I are both allergic to cats, and Harley sheds a little more.

If you ignore him, he'll start to get into things (jump on tables and try to knock things down), and he'll scratch on posters or papers on the wall. If you spray water on him, he'll leave for like, 30 seconds, and then come back. Pushing him off the bed results in the same thing.
My mom gives him and his brother cat candy every night the first time Harley wakes her up (and this is every night), which sometimes settles him down, but my mom tells me he usually just comes back a couple hours later. But he never wants anything, he has food, doesn't want more candy or anything.

My mom doesn't have a door to lock him out. I do, but the past couple of nights I've left it open, so heat can come in. (It's kind of annoying to pick between freezing or being woken up, and I do have a lot of trouble falling back asleep.) We have an unused room upstairs, but we can't lock him in there (obviously with litterbox and things) because then he'll cry (he has a super loud cry) and wake my dad up.
We don't have a cage, and we don't really have the money to spare to invest in one, especially one that's big enough for him not to feel cramped. We do play with him before bed to wear our cats out, and it really only wears Toby out. (Toby loves to play though, Harley isn't as playful.)

He's 4 years old, and I believe he's been doing this for a couple of years now. My mom has lost countless hours and nights of sleep, sometimes he'll wake her up every 20 minutes, or get her up at 1:30 (like last night). My mom thought maybe he's lonely, but we give our cats so much attention through out the day, and if I'm up in the night, I'll pet them both for a few minutes before I head back up. We play with them often, well try, Harley isn't as playful as stated before. They get plenty of food and water, and tons of variety of toys and two cat trees. We don't exactly have a lot of rooms with doors to lock him in. There's the bedrooms, the bathroom (which has the food and litterboxes so we can't lock him in there because of Toby), and the basement (which is very dangerous for a cat, tons of wires and things from my dad's equipment, tons of places he can get lost and stuff).

My question is, is there any way to get him stop? I might have left out some info, but I got most of it. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as Harley is really annoying at night.

I'm kind of afraid one night he'll start waking my dad up, and he could say we'd have to get rid of him. My cat Toby doesn't like him (more like hates), and swipes (rarely scratches), meows, and hisses at him. One time my dad lost his temper, and told Toby "you better not pick a fight with me because that's a fight you're not gonna win." We actually had to lock Toby in the unused room (when my dad came home, not all the time) because we were afraid my dad was going to hurt him. Luckily he doesn't have to be locked anymore. I wouldn't want my dad to hit Harley or anything, my dad isn't exactly caring or compassionate or anything.

Thank you for any replies. <3

♫ Currently living on the air in Cincinnati ♫

| xxx |
Featured Song: All The Things You Are -
Helen Forrest w/ Artie Shaw & His Orchestra
Shooting Stars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lepisma » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:22 am

I just realized I've yet to even mention what Theo looks like, oops..! Theo is red/white, here's a picture I took of them all just a little while ago. Also, I checked just shortly before taking that picture and I'm positive that the black kitten is a female.

I think Lunarsnow might be right - your little black kitten might be a boy! Since Theo doesn't have a black gene to pass, he isn't able to pass anything but red X chromosomes (no color on Y). Your kitten should be a calico/tortie if it's a girl because dad HAS to pass her a red X and mom HAS to pass a black X, meaning all girls HAVE to have both colors.
Unless there's another intact male she's had access to - in which case the kittens (even in the same litter) could have different fathers.

In a mating between an orange male (OF) and a black female (O+O+), all females produced are tortoiseshell and all males are black. ...
Male to male transmission does not occur.
It is apparent in the examples just given that males transmit their color types to their daughters and not their sons. This is because a male receives his X chromosome from his mother and the Y chromosome from his father.

Source: Link
Lepisma

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Crossflare » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:16 pm

❥Shilou&Crew wrote:
Linda-058 wrote:What breed is Prue anyway?

Domestic Shorthair.

Domestic shorthair is not a breed of cat. it is coat type. so while you may think it's breed it's never ever been one.

American Shorthair is a breed also just want to ask are your cats with papers.
Crossflare

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lunarsnow » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:58 pm

Linda-058 wrote:Domestic shorthair is not a breed of cat. it is coat type. so while you may think it's breed it's never ever been one.

American Shorthair is a breed also just want to ask are your cats with papers.

Actually, Domestic Shorthair used to be the term for Amercian Shorthairs until the 1960's! :p

Yes Domestic Shorthair is not a breed, but it's what you call a cat that has no breed and is shorthaired so it's an appropriate response to being asked what breed your cat is in my opinion.
Random cat spotlight <3
Lunarsnow

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lepisma » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:01 pm

^What Lunarsnow said. You're right in that it may not be a breed, exactly - it's more a lack thereof - but it is the correct term. In Britain they're referred to as "Moggies," but in the US we don't have a term for "mutt" cats, and "Domestic (Short/Medium/Long)hair" or just "mixed" is used instead. Domestic Shorthairs are also not the same thing as the American Shorthair, which yes, is a recognized breed. Calling them the same thing would more or less be equivalent to calling a seal point domestic shorthair a Siamese.
Lepisma

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Rainbow Dash » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:34 pm

Lepisma wrote:^What Lunarsnow said. You're right in that it may not be a breed, exactly - it's more a lack thereof - but it is the correct term. In Britain they're referred to as "Moggies," but in the US we don't have a term for "mutt" cats, and "Domestic (Short/Medium/Long)hair" or just "mixed" is used instead. Domestic Shorthairs are also not the same thing as the American Shorthair, which yes, is a recognized breed. Calling them the same thing would more or less be equivalent to calling a seal point domestic shorthair a Siamese.

"Moggy" is an adorable name. But yeah, when inputting clients at the first clinic I worked at, if we didn't know what a cat was, the owner didn't specify, or the owner wrote down "cat" under the breed (that happens more than you think,) they'd be classed as a DSH/DMH/DLH.

I've never seen an American Shorthair but I have seen an Oriental Shorthair kitten. Reeeeally chatty, talked her little head off the whole night and especially if we walked by without petting her.
[: Veterinary professional | Female | Hobbyist artist :]
Image Image Image Image
New Chicken Smoothie Tarot
[: Free-to-Use CS Graphics || Request Free CS Graphics || Every Pet As a Stamp Project :]
Sig art by me || Avatar by Scragster || Busy with work! Might be slow to respond!
Rainbow Dash

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lepisma » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:27 pm

Rainbow Dash wrote:I've never seen an American Shorthair but I have seen an Oriental Shorthair kitten. Reeeeally chatty, talked her little head off the whole night and especially if we walked by without petting her.

I don't believe I've seen one in person, either. British Shorthairs and Scottish Folds seem to be more common in this area, as far as that body/face shape type of cat go.
The "Oriental" type breeds tend to be really chatty, haha. We used to have a Siamese who would board and you could hear him from any point in the clinic, non-stop, day or night.
Bengals, too, seem to like to talk for some reason.
Lepisma

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cornspurrd. » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:35 pm

Is Tabby A breed?
I've Always Called My cat A 'blue Tabby"