The Cavy(Guinea Pig) Lovers Club

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: The Cavy(Guinea Pig) Lovers Club

Postby d i z z y p i e » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:02 am

Cubone. wrote:
d i z z y p i e wrote:
    My guinea-pigs sadly both passed away, a few years ago but I still adore guineas <3

I'm intrested to know whether you guys think boars or sows get along better when kept in groups/pairs as my two boys had to be kept seperately for 90% of their lives due to fighting. :c

It really varies on the guinea pig's personality, and relationship with the other(s). I have two girls, and two boys and all of them are related. The mother is with the daughter, and the father is with the son. And, it's been like that for two years now. During this time, I've really noticed that the girls tended to be more aggressive towards each other, and the boys were more calm, and mellow. My two girls always tug on food like a game of tug and war, and are always fighting over food. My boys on the other hand just kind of take what's theirs, and run to the other side of the cage not bothering each other until they're finished. But, this is just my experience of my guinea pigs living in groups. So, if your guinea pigs were related, then it must have been just their personalities. If they weren't, then it's more possible that that was the problem. But once again, that's just my experience. :)

Thank you very much for replying!

Yes, before I bought my two we were told boys get along better, however, obviously, that didn't quite work out XD

They were brothers so I guess it was just their personalities :/
d i z z y p i e

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby yetzali » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:34 pm

ImageImageImage
      xxxxxxxxxxxxxlydia [f]xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxlester [m]xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxhowell [m]

i never got around to posting pictures of the lil' babies ! it's been a while, they're 12 weeks old now. here's a (kinda crappy) recent photo of each of the three! (they're only in a box for the sake of easier photo-taking, they enjoy running away from me))

their mom's been doing well, despite the two pregnancies. she's been living with lydia and harlow (the female pup from the first litter), they take good care of her. the two males are together and enjoy each other's company!
xImage
sarah
infj
she/they
pm me for dog pictures
yetzali

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Meoauniaea » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:02 am

Got my first two in August. One passes last Tuesday, the other one week before. Not sure where I went wrong. I think uri, since my rats fell ill and passed the same week. I wasn't home and my brother was caring for them...

I'll post pics sometime.

You can call me Hadley, that's fine too.
How to say my username (and the meaning)
Toyhou.se || Flight Rising || Pixpet || Final Outpost || PFQ
Discord: redfailhawk

Lilypad won her AKC CGC title on 10/18/23!
Lilypad won her CGCA title on 11/8/23!

NaNoWriMo Winner:
2018-2019-2020-2021-2022-2023
Meoauniaea

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby PeachFuzz » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:49 am

d i z z y p i e wrote:
Cubone. wrote:
d i z z y p i e wrote:
    My guinea-pigs sadly both passed away, a few years ago but I still adore guineas <3

I'm intrested to know whether you guys think boars or sows get along better when kept in groups/pairs as my two boys had to be kept seperately for 90% of their lives due to fighting. :c

It really varies on the guinea pig's personality, and relationship with the other(s). I have two girls, and two boys and all of them are related. The mother is with the daughter, and the father is with the son. And, it's been like that for two years now. During this time, I've really noticed that the girls tended to be more aggressive towards each other, and the boys were more calm, and mellow. My two girls always tug on food like a game of tug and war, and are always fighting over food. My boys on the other hand just kind of take what's theirs, and run to the other side of the cage not bothering each other until they're finished. But, this is just my experience of my guinea pigs living in groups. So, if your guinea pigs were related, then it must have been just their personalities. If they weren't, then it's more possible that that was the problem. But once again, that's just my experience. :)

Thank you very much for replying!

Yes, before I bought my two we were told boys get along better, however, obviously, that didn't quite work out XD

They were brothers so I guess it was just their personalities :/

It definitely varies with personality and I think age also plays a role too.
I have two boars who are brothers. I got them when they were three months old. At around seven to eight months they started fighting. They had to be separated when one of them bit the other's nose and drew blood. I attempted to re-bond them many times after that but it never lasted. Last year, around their fourth birthday, I successfully re-introduced them and they've been together since. It's been over a year now and they're both happy as a clam. They still have daily squabbles but it's just chasing and squealing. c: At five years old they've mellowed out a lot so I think that has contributed to the success.
Image Image Image
PeachFuzz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Minty Bunni » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:01 pm

These are my sister and I's shared pair. Alexiel (mine) is the one with the orange nose and Jinxy Gadget (sister's) has the white.
They are spoiled rotten babies. They currently live in a 5 by 2 c&c cage with a 2 by 2 second floor, have a minimum of 4 hides and 30 chews and tunnels at all times, and get tons of out time and cuddles.

They are litter mates who were born mid September 2015 to an American father and Abyssinian mother after somebody accidentally ended up with a misgendered guinea pig.

As the runt, people kept saying that Jinxy would not be healthy but, other than two twisted claws and still being a bit small, he is perfectly fine. He is the more adventurous brother and prefers exploring during floor time and climbing onto shoulders. My sister sometimes puts shirts on him and he can't sit still very long without running off to play unless "All I Ask of You" is playing. Surprisingly, at only 2/3s the weight of his brother, he is dominant.

Alexiel is a sweet little guy. He is very soft and tends to look like a fluffy teddybear in photos. Of course, he does come with a temperment! If you do something he doesn't like, you will know pretty fast. Nail trimmings, even when given food and treats, usually end with plenty of rodent bites and him cuddling up to me. If you don't pet his fur in the wrong direction, he will cuddle, nibble your fingers, and love you. Unlike his brother, he loves just sitting in a lap and getting pet while he eats. Super friendly little dude.
Attachments
IMG_42381.jpg
IMG_42381.jpg (191.7 KiB) Viewed 267 times
IMG_38531.jpg
IMG_38531.jpg (238.9 KiB) Viewed 267 times
My little sister pogo789 and I share an Ip address.
Watch the new pumpkin pet grow:
I enjoy trades.
Minty Bunni

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby arcticwolf » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:41 am

Christmas photoshoot with the trio. :)

ETA: I'm starting to get nervous for my babies as they're going to need to be boarded soon. I'll be staying a distance away from home for my dad's surgery and recovery time and they'll need someone to look after them. The good news is that the vet I volunteer for is offering to board my girls for free at her clinic!

ETA2: Everything went well and the girls are safe and sound at home again. :)
ImageImageStandard Poodle Mom Image Pro Dog Groomer Image Engaged Image Image
arcticwolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby desertcommunity » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:17 pm

arcticwolf wrote:
Christmas photoshoot with the trio. :)

Omg That's so freaking cute!!! What did you use to make a gif out of the piggys?
desertcommunity

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby arcticwolf » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:35 pm

BasicPiper wrote:
arcticwolf wrote:Christmas photoshoot with the trio. :)

Omg That's so freaking cute!!! What did you use to make a gif out of the piggys?

Thank you! :) I used a free online program called EZ GIF.

Today was Callie's 1st adoption anniversary. The top photo was taken on the day I got her; the bottom was taken today.
One year ago, I never thought that tiny little piggy would become my biggest girl, alpha of the trio, and my little (big) chirper. She's a special girl.
ImageImageStandard Poodle Mom Image Pro Dog Groomer Image Engaged Image Image
arcticwolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Rose Gold <3 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:30 pm

I have 1 guinea right now cuz my parents won't let me have more then 1 at a time. I've had 2 previous ones. My 1st was named Sprinkles and I had her for 3 years and 8 or 9 months. My 2nd was named Luna and I sadly only had her for 4 months. My current is named Cookie and I've had her for almost a month and a half.
Rose Gold <3

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby leg » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:05 am

Avery The Pegasister wrote:I have 1 guinea right now cuz my parents won't let me have more then 1 at a time. I've had 2 previous ones. My 1st was named Sprinkles and I had her for 3 years and 8 or 9 months. My 2nd was named Luna and I sadly only had her for 4 months. My current is named Cookie and I've had her for almost a month and a half.

please strongly consider encouraging your parents to get another girl for cookie. guinea pigs are incredibly social animals and often have a much happier life with another cagemate. it's expected you can't be there all the time, and cookie is likely lonely. it's like sticking a human in a room and only seeing contact from another species for a few hours a day or less. while she probably loves your company, she will benefit hugely with another companion x

edit; not sure why its reposted? ive been asleep
“can’t catch a break today.
let’s go get a milkshake.”
leg

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me