Thoughts about pitbulls/pit chat!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Click if you ...

Are scared of them
9%
Would own one
60%
Have one
19%
Know anyone who has one?
13%

Total votes : 998

Re: Thoughts about pitbulls/pit chat!

Postby taurus ; » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:21 am

FlamingEmber wrote:I've already commented before but I'm just gonna tell my story on why I dislike the breed (even though I have one).

Summer of 2014, I rescued a kitten from underneath my porch. She was quiet and feral. I was the first person to take her out and give her some food and water. I was basically her mother at this point (even came when I called her name!). Skip forward to July 2015. She got out of the house even though she's an indoor cat. I had three dogs at the time a pitbull, yellow lab, and a chihuahua terrier mix. I heard some barking at around 8 o clock at night so I went outside to check. I saw my cat pinned up against the side of the house cornered by my two fairly large dogs. I was screaming and crying and having a panic attack so I ran back inside to get help. I ran back out and tried to help her but I wasn't trying to get my arm bitten off. By the time help came (my aunt) it was too late.

I basically witnessed my cat being torn to shreds and I feel as if it were my fault. I will never have a large breed of dog ever again.

1. Why own a breed that you 'dislike', that makes no sense.
2.. Many, many dogs see cats as a prey item, they're fast and will run if chased and will also fight back, two things that will definitely spur a dog(can be ANY dog, ANY breed) into attacking/killing it. Keep the cats and dogs separated and no stuff like that won't happen.

Cats are smart, I own a cat, but also two dogs(pekingese and APBT) who will attack him if they get the chance. He's learned to stay away and avoid them, no incidents have happened between them, other than the first snap that he learned from.
☆ kenya|she/her|istj|adult player
(simply vibing, that's it <3)
taurus ;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Impractical » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:07 pm

I have a 5 month old pup of my own, he has three brothers (a pug, a terrier mix, and a cat) and he's the most lazy thing you'll ever meet. He's scared of leaves and once hid under our truck the first time he heard a flock of geese. You can be laying on the couch with the much smaller (and lighter) dogs and this big oaf will come and jump on you and try to compress himself to be able to fit on your stomach with the other dogs :lol:

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it is 100% based on the type of dog and ESPECIALLY HOW YOU RAISE THEM, you have to do research on this breed before getting one. I for one didn't know not to play tug of war with a Pitbull puppy because it will teach them to roughhouse and not listen to people trying to pull objects away from them, I was taught this by an old woman who said she had three pits of her own.

Our Odin is the most gentle puppy you'd ever meet and it's because we took the time to do research and care for him.

If you teach them to be gentle and considerate they will act as so, if you train them to be anxious or viscous, as will any other dog, they will adapt accordingly. A Pitbull is no more trigger happy than a golden retriever and people need to understand this.
ImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImage
Impractical

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby SaraCO2013 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:10 am

Hello everyone. I haven't posted in a VERY long time! Just a refresh, I own an APBT named Molly, and an American Bully named Apollo! Molly is now turning 4 and Apollo will be turning 2 at the end of the year. I have read over a few post and I've missed so many good discussions! I'll just drop my 2 cents on some of the recent stuff though. (:

In regards to the ongoing uphill battle of "IT'S HOW YOU RAISE THEM" vs "IT'S GENETICS", its actually both! I can tell you from personal experience training and raising pit bulls that you can honestly raise a pit to be the most friendliest dog in the world, but that doesn't mean it will turn out as so. Molly is an amazing example, she is dog aggressive. I did not raise her to be dog aggressive, that came from within her. She was socialized from the moment I got her at the dog park every weekend if the weather was good. She was raised with a Chihuahua and had play dates with my friends dogs. She was a very friendly puppy, but as she reached maturity things changed. She no longer likes other dogs, especially smaller dogs. The only small dog she likes is the Chihuahua she was raised with. She has never attacked but thats because I can read her body language very well. I know the way she looks at certain dogs that she wants to hurt them and is fixing to lunge, I just remove her from any situations that can cause a fight or will escalate into one.

As for Apollo, raised the exact same way. Except it took us awhile to take him to the dog park but omg when we did that was his paradise! He LOVES other dogs, especially smaller ones and is scared of dogs bigger than him! Molly and Apollo are complete opposites but were both raised the exact same way, only difference is Molly is an APBT and Apollo is an American Bully. Both considered Pit Bulls but different blood different genetics.

This all just boils down to a dog as a individual when it comes to this breed. So many things come into play when you get a Pit Bull, not only do you have to do your research on this breed before you get one but you must always have in the back of your mind that regardless on how you raise it, it still might turn out dog aggressive. And you have to be prepared to deal with that and work through it, if not then NEVER get a pit bull. You cant ignore their past nor can you train genetics out of a dog. But at the same time, if you do neglect your pit and don't train it properly then you could have an even bigger issue on your hands then just dog aggression alone. Especially if you train your dog to be aggressive, that is just a huge NO.

Destiel&Sabriel wrote: I for one didn't know not to play tug of war with a Pitbull puppy because it will teach them to roughhouse and not listen to people trying to pull objects away from them, I was taught this by an old woman who said she had three pits of her own.

Just wanted to throw this in here because this is false. It does not teach a dog to rough house or not listen to people getting objects away from them. You have to teach them the difference between playing with a toy and playing with a object that isn't theirs, and the dog also has to be taught prior to tug of war to drop objects when told to. Mollys favorite game is tug of war and she drops the toy on command. She also knows when to get crazy with it (with me or my boyfriend outside), or when to be gentle when our 2 yr old wants to play with her in the house. I didn't introduce her to tug of war until she was 6 months though and fully listened to "drop it" and of course it takes a lot of training, especially with a high energy puppy which pit bulls can be! (:

If your having issues with your puppy not listening, take a step back and re train the skills that require him to listen to you especially the one that requires him to drop it. I've had to use it many times other then just toys and its very useful, especially when your dogs goes to eat something random! Also before you play with him, try letting him run around for a bit to bring his energy down some. I've dealt with a lot of puppies that are just rough because they have so much energy! (:
SaraCO2013

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cornspurrd. » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:11 am

I have 3 pit bulls, They are all wonderful but I have to get rid of 2 of them because they have killed too many animals
They have killed 2 cats, And a dog. And there are 3 strikes and you get your dog taken to a shelter. And I am really mad because the 2 cats jumped over our fence, And the dog crawled under our fence, Yeah our dogs killed them but they did not get loose or anything.
But I am really going to miss my puppers :(
Smile and wave...
cornspurrd.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby blueh » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:35 pm

someone was talking about their bully mix and corrected someone and was like "yeah, they are actually nanny dogs! they were bred to raise children" and i wanted so badly to butt into that conversation and tell that woman that no, they were not but unfortunately I Hate Confrontation

makes me frustrated tho. i mean, I get why people would want to make the breed seem friendlier, but that doesn't work and often times ends up doing more hurting than it does helping. This goes for the dog aggression too; "how you raise them" is such a horrible thing to tell people who have apbt/bully mixes w/ dog aggression because it makes them feel as if they are doing horrible even when they're not. you put a lot of pressure on people and a lot of pressure on the dogs too and its just a mess

my reptiles (aka my personal pets)
1.1 Uromastyx geyri, 3.1 Uromastyx ornata, 1.0 Uromastyx acanthinurus nigriventris, 2.0 piebald ball pythons, 1.0 puma ball python

i study lizards & bugs and like animals

Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.
blueh

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Eremite » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:34 am

Destiel&Sabriel wrote:
I guess what I'm trying to say is that it is 100% based on the type of dog and ESPECIALLY HOW YOU RAISE THEM, you have to do research on this breed before getting one. I for one didn't know not to play tug of war with a Pitbull puppy because it will teach them to roughhouse and not listen to people trying to pull objects away from them, I was taught this by an old woman who said she had three pits of her own.

Our Odin is the most gentle puppy you'd ever meet and it's because we took the time to do research and care for him.

If you teach them to be gentle and considerate they will act as so, if you train them to be anxious or viscous, as will any other dog, they will adapt accordingly. A Pitbull is no more trigger happy than a golden retriever and people need to understand this.

Its not 'all in how you raise them' genetics will always play a bigger role in a dog's temperament than upbringing. My favorite example is a Border Collie being raised never herding or even seeing sheep but 9 times out of 10 if you put that dog around sheep it'll start to herd. Its the same with (ADBA) APBTs, animal aggression is commonly genetic in them, it won't matter how you raise them genetics are genetics.

As for the tug of war thing that comes from people not training their dogs and wanting to blame something besides themselves for their dog's poor behavior. Teach your dog 'drop it', 'give it' etc, and you won't have an issue getting things from them(training solves a lot of 'problems'). It doesn't teach them 'to rough house' its a form of intense play that acts on natural instinct of dogs (tugging on objects with playmates). Its a great form of stimulation and exercise that a dog shouldn't be deprived of because the owner doesn't want to train proper obedience.

As for being 'trigger happy' that also depends on genetics, training, exposure, thresholds, etc. and being a breed commonly AA their threshold (trigger happiness) with other animals tend to not be the highest. Not saying they can't have a high threshold and do well with other animals but a real(ADBA) APBT is going to have some level of dog aggression 99% of the time and is going to react on some level most of the time.
Blame is a coward but self-righteous
A funny little creature hiding out in me
Hate is power with a price tag
A funny little creature screaming out in me
Listen to me
Fear is a liar but he's been right before
If you fight your shadow, you'll get lost in a war
Ambitions a champ, but he's also greedy
Drunk or sober he always wants more
I always want more
I always want more
Lust is beauty in a body bag
A funny little thing that's screaming "Just use me!"

Eremite

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby PikaPerfect » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:36 am

My mom sent me this article and you guys need to read it. It takes both views into consideration, is very well written, and really shows a lot about the pit bull breed. Definitely give it a go.

-----------

BOTTOM LINE:  if this pit bull mix would have been a beagle or I could name 300 dog breeds, this innocent person would be alive today. Choice Matters for keeping our community safe.

Pit bulls have been bred for violent blood sports with a deadly bite. They are not safe or appropriate pets and should never be considered as such.

Most dog breeds don't have the genetic makeup to execute a dog bite level 5 or 6.

Most breeds bite and release. Pit bulls bite and do not let go until their victims are dead. This is part of their genetic code called their 'gameness' trait.

"The dog is extremely dangerous and mutilates. The dog is simply not safe around people. I recommend euthanasia because the quality of life is so poor for dogs that have to live out their lives in solitary confinement" BITE CHART:  http://www.dogtalk.com/BiteAssessmentScalesDunbarDTMRoss.pdf

Most pit bull advocates lack the basic understanding of dog breeding 101 where breeders are purposely trying to produce a 'stereotype' for retrieving, herding, pointing, scenting, racing, guarding and fighting.

Most normal breeds have a highly developed canine  etiquette, with a language that allows them to resolve conflict without  killing. In contrast, pit bulls have had this etiquette systematically  bred out of them, for success in the killing pit. A normal dog will  signal, bluff, air bite nip, and only as a last resort will he really  bite, and will bite and release. A pit bull skips all the signals and  preliminary posturing and gets right down to killing, and once they  start in on a victim they will not stop. Many a distraught parent has  found out the hard way when the so-called family pit bull goes after  their toddler and is oblivious to kicks, punches, baseball bats etc.

New Warning from Pediatricians: A University of Arkansas for Medical Science’s largest dog bite study to date at a Georgia hospital in July 2016 came to this conclusion: “The study corroborates the largely negative interactions between pit bulls and children of any age.”

From the abstract: "Pit bull bites were implicated in half of all surgeries performed and over 2.5 times as likely to bite in multiple anatomic locations as compared to other breeds." https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... nstitution

Medical peer-reviewed: Level 1 trauma center dog bite studies from all geographical regions in the U.S. are reporting a higher prevalence of pit bull type dogs injuries than all other breeds of dogs. In many cases, the studies (2009 to 2016) also report that pit bull injuries have a higher severity of injury and require a greater number of operative interventions. http://blog.dogsbite.org/2016/10/report ... lence.html

Correct there are nice pit bulls. The problem is that you can't tell them apart from the pit bulls that decide to kill. Would you deliberately choose a crib, car, or helmet with the highest record of fatalities and the worst safety rating? Pit-bull type dogs are responsible for 95% of severe attacks (dog bite level 4-6) on people, pets and livestock in breed neutral zones. Please follow for one month. You will be shocked at all the people and pets that are severely maimed or killed by pit bulls.
http://www.nationalpitbullvictimawareness.org/

Please spend some time witnessing to the victims of pit bull attacks. Most attacking pit bulls are not due to bad owners but naïve owners who do not understand the dangerous pit bull breed traits. From 2005-2017, 259 people killed by pit bull type dogs. http://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-statis ... lities.php

I agree all dogs can bite. The issue with pit bulls is the degree of damage they inflict, and their attacks being more likely to result in fatality. Appellate courts across the United States have recognized the dangers of the pit bull breed for over 25-years. We've listed excerpts from court decisions that demonstrate this.  http://www.dogsbite.org/legislating-dangerous-dogs-appellate-court-decisions.php

Pit-bulls are dangerous because they have the capability of inflicting life-threatening injuries in a split second. Pit bulls are zero-mistake dogs.

Two words to prove pit bull type dogs are inherently dangerous: "BREAK STICK".

Does this sound like a normal and safe dog breed to have live in our neighborhoods? Pit Bull Rescue Central recommends ALL pit bull owners to have a "break stick", a wedge-shaped piece of wood used to pry open a pit bull’s jaw during an attack. "Since pit bulls have a strong fighting background, we recommend that pet owners also have a breaking stick as a precaution, even if they don't plan to use it in an illegal context. However, please be discreet. Breaking sticks are not something to brag about and the general public might have the wrong impression if you walk around with a stick in your hand. Breaking sticks are not illegal, but they are considered dog fighting paraphernalia in certain states and/or with certain law enforcement agents."
http://blog.dogsbite.org/2008/09/break- ... n-pit.html

This person demonstrates how to use a break stick on a pit-bull: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfMVH4wY5Pg

Just because you would like the American Temperament Test Standard to be a temperament test for a balanced pet, it is not. It was developed by Alfons Ertelt in 1977 as a screening test for potential Schutzhund candidates - ie dogs that do bite work like police dogs. He was not an animal behaviorist, he was a schutzhund fan. He wanted a quick way to screen dogs to see if they were bold and aggressive enough to do police work. As much as you wish otherwise, it is not in any way an indicator of a safe pet. The test itself only takes 15 minutes and as a screening test, was designed only to weed out the most unlikely candidates for attack dog training. A dog that panics when it hears a gunshot will fail this test. A dog that balks when asked to walk on wire fencing will fail this test. No part of this test looks at how the dog reacts in a home or with children or with other animals. These are things that are immediately obvious to anyone who takes even a cursory glance at the test. Why would you be attempting to prove pit bulls make great pets based on this test?

[removed link due to gore]

So you think this lady trained her dog to kill her?

I'm growing very tired of people like you, who make that claim without backing it up with FACTS. Prove it.

If you really believe it's the owner, then cite specifically cases where a pit bull was 'raised wrong’ or 'abused' and severely mauled or killed a person. In most cases, where a pit bull has severely attacked or killed a victim, the owner is not held accountable with criminal charges because the law could not prove the owner was negligent and the dog was not aggressive before the incident.

I'm in a support group with some of these families. All these families were blind-sided by a horrific pit bull attack. All these killer pit bulls were house dogs and considered members of the family. None of these dogs were trained to fight. Pit type dogs are hardwired to maul and kill without warning, it is a part of the genetic code like border collies herd, labs swim, goldens retrieve, pointers point, and bloodhounds track.

So are you saying these families raised their pit bulls to kill their children, family members, friends or themselves?

Here are a few examples:

*WV family thought they had a safe pit bull but then it killed their child right in front of them: [removed for gore]

* Never allow your children to visit a home with a pit bull. It simply is not worth the risk. You can't trust pit bull owners because they all think their dog would not hurt a fly. This 9-year-old was killed by his friend's pit bull.: [removed for gore]

*This mother was a fan of Pit bulls & Parolees. Her daughter died on her 4th birthday. She was killed by her beloved pit bulls. She even picked them when they were puppies. They pulled her out of the grandmother's arms mauled and killed her. If the parents would have picked a safer pet like a beagle or I could name 300 dog breeds, she would be alive today. [removed for gore]

*Dear parents. Do not ever allow your child to visit the home of a pit bull owner. THE END. Jordan Ryan killed by a friend's pit bull. [removed for gore]

*I will keep saying this until I am blue in the face. Never, ever trust a pit bull owner. Another person is dead because of her friend's pit bulls attacked her. [removed]

* Social Justice Warrior killed by his pit bull. ‏ It is insane to have a type of dog that can easily kill you. More of the tragedy: [removed]

*Sister's pit bulls killed her brother: [removed]

*Mother of two daughters killed by rescued pit-mixed: [removed]

*This misguided family fell for the pit bull propaganda that pit bulls make safe family pets and now their infant is dead. [removed]

*Child killed by babysitter's 3 pit bulls:[removed]

*Pet sitter killed by 3 pit bulls in front of dog owners: [removed]

*Pit bull “raised from a puppy, kills animal expert: [removed]

*Rescued Pit Bull Kills Owner, 87, As He Takes Down Christmas Tree, Dog Euthanized
Read more at http: [removed]

* Pit bull advocate's child was killed by her pit bulls on [removed]

*Little girl killed by family pit bull: [removed]

*There are many people who thought they had a safe, well-socialized, loving pit bull that killed a loved-one: This mother whose 2-year old son was killed by the family pit bull of 8 years named “Kissy Face”. She fell for the pit bull propaganda that pit bulls are nanny dogs that I see pit bull advocates say all the time. She thought she had a safe pit bull. She was in shock she was not able to stop the attack. She saw her son be ripped into pieces. If this mother would have picked a safer family dog like a collie, her son would be alive today. Kissy face was raised around the older daughter without any incident. [removed]

More victims accounts of family pit bulls turning on family members:http://www.daxtonsfriends.com/victims-stories/

Family pit bull attacks:http://www.dogsbite.org/staying-safe-family-dog-attacks.php

Pit bull-type dogs make up 5% of the U.S. dog population but are responsible for 95% of the severe attacks on people, pets and livestock every year in the U.S. By taking time to read these tragedies, you’ll discover most of the killing pit bulls came from loving homes. No other dog breeds even come close to the carnage pit bulls cause.

The bottom line is if these pit bulls would have been a beagle or I could name 300 dog breeds, all these people would be alive today. Breed Choice Matters for keeping our children safe.

How is speaking on the behalf of all the people, pets and livestock that have been severely mauled and/or killed mostly by pit bulls being hateful? That is your choice if you do not want to learn from other people's tragedies. But I will keep speaking up for all the people and pets that have been severely mauled and for the families who have lost a loved one or a beloved pet to a pit bull attack.

I don't hate pit bulls at all. It's not the dogs fault that they were selectively bred for certain traits that aren't remotely necessary or wanted now. That they continue to be bred by fools and thugs and continue to be pushed as family dogs by the ignorant and gullible. I hope for mandatory spaying and neutering and letting the breed be phased out so the poor animals no longer fill shelters and landfills.

I don't hate lions and bears either, but like pits, they are not suitable pets.
Pit-bull type dogs are responsible for 95% of severe attacks on people, pets and livestock: http://www.nationalpitbullvictimawareness.org/

"Not all pit bulls are bad"

If anything, the fact ‘They aren’t all bad’ is what makes the situation even more dangerous than if they were 'All BAD". It is this unpredictability, the inability to tell a dangerous from a non-dangerous pit bull that sees pit bulls as an unsuitable breed for society. If they were simply 'all bad’, society would simply take strong measures to protect themselves from the breed. Nobody is arguing that all pit bulls are bad, the argument is based on the fact that more than enough pit bulls regularly maim, maul and kill to result in an unacceptable actuarial risk, just like drunk driving. Just like all drunk drivers won’t cause harm or kill anybody, doesn’t mean they aren’t participating in high risk behavior.

People aren’t seeking legislative protection based on the belief all pit bulls are bad, but based on the reality they carry far more risk to innocent people than non fighting breeds of dog. Just as the average person doesn’t want to take the risk of being killed by a drunk driver, the average person also doesn’t want to risk being maimed, mauled or killed by a fighting breed of dog. If they are incapable of understanding such basic self preservation, then there is little hope for them. It must be noted that these people are either risk takers or poor assessors of risk, and quite often have no idea they are putting themselves and others in harms way. It is a battle against stupidity as much as it is dangerous breeds of dog.

---------

So I agree with this person a lot. It's not the dog's fault, it's really not, it's the fact that they were bred to kill. They are wild. The breed was ruined by thugs and dog fighters and people keeping them alive is just doing more damage because there are so many unwanted dogs and so many people dying. Of course there are nice pit bulls, that's a proven fact. Some of them are sweethearts who wouldn't hurt a thing, but the sad truth is that's the minority. I'm not saying a single thing here to be mean or rude or offensive, I'm just trying to help spread the word.

It's the people's fault, not the dog's, but not for the reason so many people say. It goes back much farther than the owner, because rarely is it a crappy owner that causes the dog to attack. It's the crappy people from 500 years ago who destroyed the breed and turned them into killers.
call me pika - he/him - gay - i like cats, pokemon, and genshin impact
sorry if i don't respond to your DM, random messages give me anxiety 😎✌
The summoning gif worked :)
PikaPerfect

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby maninkari » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:57 am

Do some research on dog fighting, like actual research, and it helps a lot with understanding the breed. Talk to long time dog breeders, people who have known fighting dogs. They were bred to fight, even when they're loosing and faced with death, and they were bred to NEVER be human aggressive. Of course, there have been dogs that have bit, as with all breeds, but they are never, ever, supposed to be human aggressive. Humans would be in the pit with the dogs, you don't want to do that if your arm is going to get torn off.

Gameness is that willingness to fight even when they're loosing. Their brain tells them "go go go" even when they're thoroughly exhausted. This trait makes them a great breed for work other than dog fighting, such as hunting, or sports such as weight pull. I don't agree with dog fighting at all, I think it's awful and cruel, but the fact that they were bred for it is what makes them the wonderful dogs they are.

There's also no "pit bull type". There are bull breeds, and block headed mixes, that are constantly mislabeled for pit bulls, but pit bulls are American Pit Bull Terriers. They are a bull breed, they are not a group of breeds in themselves.

A well bred pit bull is going to be very game, possibly dog aggressive, extremely people pleasing, and loyal.They will be athletic, with high energy AND a good temperament around humans.

Like many dogs, they've had that instinct of self preservation bred out of them. Its the same in mastiffs, GSDs, and other working breeds because they need to be fearless to do their job. This does NOT make them human aggressive.

Again, I hate dog fighting, but I've read books by dog fighters, talked to people who grew up with fighting dogs, and am always looking to learn new things from breeders who have known these dogs for longer than I've been alive. Research will tell you that pit bulls are not human aggressive.
heck
maninkari

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Cardinal » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:41 pm

maninkari wrote:Do some research on dog fighting, like actual research, and it helps a lot with understanding the breed. Talk to long time dog breeders, people who have known fighting dogs. They were bred to fight, even when they're loosing and faced with death, and they were bred to NEVER be human aggressive. Of course, there have been dogs that have bit, as with all breeds, but they are never, ever, supposed to be human aggressive. Humans would be in the pit with the dogs, you don't want to do that if your arm is going to get torn off.

Gameness is that willingness to fight even when they're loosing. Their brain tells them "go go go" even when they're thoroughly exhausted. This trait makes them a great breed for work other than dog fighting, such as hunting, or sports such as weight pull. I don't agree with dog fighting at all, I think it's awful and cruel, but the fact that they were bred for it is what makes them the wonderful dogs they are.

There's also no "pit bull type". There are bull breeds, and block headed mixes, that are constantly mislabeled for pit bulls, but pit bulls are American Pit Bull Terriers. They are a bull breed, they are not a group of breeds in themselves.

A well bred pit bull is going to be very game, possibly dog aggressive, extremely people pleasing, and loyal.They will be athletic, with high energy AND a good temperament around humans.

Like many dogs, they've had that instinct of self preservation bred out of them. Its the same in mastiffs, GSDs, and other working breeds because they need to be fearless to do their job. This does NOT make them human aggressive.

Again, I hate dog fighting, but I've read books by dog fighters, talked to people who grew up with fighting dogs, and am always looking to learn new things from breeders who have known these dogs for longer than I've been alive. Research will tell you that pit bulls are not human aggressive.

Basically this. If you read book written by dogmen it described conditioning for fighting and keeps track of matches and how a winner is detremed... And its rarely death. Once the other dog had submitted or turned tail the fight was immedaitely over and dogs were pulled out, or depending on which rule book dogs were fought in short pretty quick rounds and winners were decided by who hit the scratch line and how many times. Think of the original dog fighting as more of human boxing or other contact sports were you beat your rival bloody.

Quote from a rule book: " The referee should declare the dog that was taking the count the winner. Why?? Because a dog has the right to quit! That’s why we have a referee, because we have too many people that aren’t gentlemen and sports, and don’t understand what they are doing. No rule will prolong the contest unnecessarily. Unawareness and stupidity can not prolong the contest either."

Dog fighting was a terrible sport but fighting dogs were not monsters.
Honey, it's in the stars
And you're my everything from here to Mars
And every word I say I truly mean
Dear darling, I hope I'm being clear
'Cause there's no one like you on earth
That can be my universe

Cardinal

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Winstalgia » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:49 am

I used to have a pit and we dearly loved him. The last year of his life he killed one dog and injured our other dog. I can say that it was our fault we got another dog. Yes, it is more genetics than how you raise them but if you focus properly -training and how to you introduce them to other animals, there is a less likely chance for them to attack.

I am upset mainly that some people say do not trust a person with a pit. Or a pit owner.
I used to have one.
My parents would invite company over for dinner and we have a blast! He never harmed anyone but DID Get dog aggressive toward our other fog at the time. When the doorbell rang, they were eating, its natural for any dog to want to protect there family. Sometimes the littlest member in the family, my 4 year old sister would cuddle him. He would play fetch at the beach and we could keep him off of his leash.

I understand why people would be afraid of them, really. It is genetics and partially-at least 40% how you raise them. But I have never been hurt by pitbulls. There is one always down the street who never attacked anything and he also likes my cat.

Example...
If you hire a nanny who has a dog or two and you send your kids to her house, the dogs do not recognize you. Its like a pack of two Either they will leave you alone or attack. And because of genetics, depending on what the dog was bred for they have a higher chance of a or b. Leave alone or attack.

A pitbull and its dog fighting past means they are more prone to dog aggression but if they have been abused by humans.. Another example.. They may be timid, which means they have an even higher chance of attack.

All dogs can attack a person. Some rarely do due to genetics and their past but Akita's, pits, German Sheppard's, Rottweiler's etc are more prone to dog aggression and human blah blah blah. I am so tired. Augh. And on mobile. My fingers hurt...

Any who, I just want to point out that even though genetics play a big part, a dog cannot be loving.

They can still lash out like any dog!

You can trust a owner, but maybe have trouble with a pit. I had a friend who was bit by one.

My uncle was attacked by an akita but escaped. He was about 7 years old and jumped a fence. If that was a pitbull, I wouldn't think any different. Just a dog.

But dogs do not make mistakes (pitbulls go to!) We do not know if the choose god or the devil and we may never know. Also, while you may disagree with me, just leave this be.

Pits I can assure were not bred for nanny dogs- they were bred for fighting other dogs. But keep in mind people bred them then threw them in a cage with another dog.

Please do not quote and respond!
Being honest, I do not even know this point to this... I'm so tired I forgot what a typed.

Arriverderci!
"𝕹𝖔𝖙 𝖆𝖑𝖑 𝖙𝖗𝖊𝖆𝖘𝖚𝖗𝖊"
adult
Hi! Call me Rain or Wins! hope all is well.
I love philosophy, paradoxes, and thought
experiments. Fermi paradox is my favorite.
Really avid blink-182 fan! I love their music.
I also really like DnD and fantasy stuff.
Currently working on a visual novel!

"𝖎𝖘 𝖘𝖎𝖑𝖛𝖊𝖗 𝖆𝖓𝖉 𝖌𝖔𝖑𝖉."
Winstalgia

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me