Poultry Lovers Club

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Which type of fowl is your favorite?

Standard Chicken
34%
Duck
15%
Geese
3%
Turkey
3%
Peafowl
4%
Pigeons
15%
Bantams
18%
Other
8%

Total votes : 471

Re: Poultry Lovers -- Chat Thread/Club

Postby claypigeon » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:11 pm

Luzien wrote:
xXLuciferXx wrote:
I keep my coops 100% clean, never neglected. But alas; I have stumbled into a mite outbreak. {I'm aware it happens because of wild birds but still} I'm using DE on them and their coop but I feel like it just isn't working. SIGH. It's been about a week and still I don't see much of a difference. Wednesday I'm going to pick up a spray that is suppose to work and I hope it does cause I can't stand seeing my ladies so itchy and grumpy.

maybe try Diatomaceous Earth (food grade...not sure if other are good for pets), on/in the chicken coop, on the bird, and some in the food... i did read that this powder is a natural product that works well for mites and such... i did read that you should do this every day till mites are fully gone, and then only once a week to the full cleaning or every other day...
but you Need to clear out the whole coop first, use small brush to get every part clean, clean everything with hot water and maybe vinegar, inside and outside when possible, maybe when real bad use an vet aviary cleaner and when all is dry , spray the powder out...when i understand it right atleast^^

Funsized
hey! when we got our chickens they had nasty feet mites we couldn't shake. One has overcome it, but one, our friendlyier and Chubber one named Betty is still pretty tender on her legs and her scales are still uprooting.

any simple remedies? We tried feet bathing in oils and things.

I hate seeing her in pain. But I was also wondering, I'm a vegan that raises chickens and I was wondering if anyone else here raises chickens ( for fun or if their parents farm the eggs\meat) that are also against meat and animal products ? Any poultry raising vegetarians or vegans?

Maybe try the same as above :)
may i ask if your birds have grass on a pasture or your backyard, and fruit to eat, do they sand to dust bath and maybe something with water in it to bath too...i did know chickens who did like both and it was good for them. also sun is good. and some herbs in there feed.
when it is a wound maybe some honey on it could work....just ask your bird vet what they do think how you can help your chicken more:)

--> for you both: the chicken owner here will know bether and help you more...., i only go from other pets like horse, bird and rabbit and so^^

they free range and dust bath. I'll try it, thanks!

hi!
clay★ she/her
i have many classes, work and no time. ((so please be patient w me !!)
electric guitar connoisseur. dead head and led head
pm me if you need to talk or just want a friend !!
If I owe you an unfinished commission I never did from years ago, which I did often bc I was a horrible little gremlin, please just let me know : )
johnny says stay cool
claypigeon

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby dante the peapod » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:04 pm

.Earl Gray. wrote:
Hello!
I bought a buff orpington hen earlier today, it was crammed into a small bird cage and was going to be butchered if not bought.
The thing is, I know little to nothing about chickens.
I would prefer to keep her, and get her a friend or two since they're social animals, but the thing is, I don't know if my set up will be proper.
Right now she's in a 3 foot rabbit cage, of course that isn't going to be her home for long, it's just till I can sort things out.

What I'm thinking of doing, is basically keeping her in an empty room that I don't use, and put the rabbit cage on the floor and open for her to nest in.
But she'll have free rein of the room, and I'll chicken proof everything.
I can't keep her outside, nor can I let her roam around the house like normal due to my dogs, who would tear her apart given the chance.
Would that be suitable?
I don't know anyone who could take her and I'd prefer to keep her if possible, she's a sweetheart.

Also,
if I got her friends, do they have to be the same species, or would others work?
Thank you!! <3

Hiyo! What i did for my girls when they lacked calcium is crushed egg shells and mixed it with their food. Until you can get oyster shells i recommend doing the same. As for other chickens, its okay to have different breeds together as long as they are the same size. Breeds I've owned are Australorps, Barred Rocks, Buckeyes, and a Wyandotte. All are excellent layers and docile breeds. My dog (cocker spaniel poodle mix) roams outside with the girls, but it took him a little getting used to. He's a very calm boy though, I dont know about your dogs. Best of luck.
Hi! I'm Amber and I like listening to Chicago. I usually post in Forum Games and if you'd like to chat feel free to shoot a PM or trade.
dante the peapod

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby magnapinna » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:26 pm

Username:Orcinus.
Why are you joining:I'm a new owner of poultry birds! and i love them so much! <3
Favorite poultry bird: Myscovy duck
Other:Owner of 4 hens currently!
magnapinna

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby 'Possum » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:56 pm

orcinus. wrote:Username:Orcinus.
Why are you joining:I'm a new owner of poultry birds! and i love them so much! <3
Favorite poultry bird: Myscovy duck
Other:Owner of 4 hens currently!

Hiya!
And welcome ^_^

Muscovies you say?
I uh... Happen to have been chosen by a big sweet muscovy drake recently.
A friend adopted two little yellow ducklings last spring thinking they were Pekins.
They grew into Muscovies instead and proceeded to terrorize her entire household for the past year or so. One died over the winter and the other is currently hanging out at the corner of my deck in the yard watching me play on my phone lol

Since he came to stay here this past Saturday I have absolutely fallen in love with him lmao

For how vicious and crazy he was in his previous surroundings, he's equally sweet and adorable and absolutely endearing over here with us.
I really think he was just sadly misunderstood.

Anyway... I don't have a huge yard, and it's currently occupied by a mixed flock of chickens and a pair of Magpie Call Ducks.
I really don't know if I have the room, being totally new to Muscovies, and I'm torn between bringing home one of three prospective female Muscovy girlfriends for mister stinky duck here or taking him over to a farm down the road where there is an established flock of Muscovies on the creek.

Since you have muscovy hens maybe you can give me an idea on how they are to keep?
'Possum

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby magnapinna » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:45 am

I dont own muscovy ducks yet!

But someone i know has 4 of them and i adore them so much!

I'm getting 4 eggs next spring to hatch some muscovy ducks!
magnapinna

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby 'Possum » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:08 am

orcinus. wrote:I dont own muscovy ducks yet!

But someone i know has 4 of them and i adore them so much!

I'm getting 4 eggs next spring to hatch some muscovy ducks!

How are they housed? Do they have a drake as well? I just have a ton of questions.
My chickens have a raised coop and enclosed run where I keep them locked up when unattended. At least this time of year, there's too many tomatoes and cucumbers for them nibble on so when they're in the yard it's supervised only lol
The Call Ducks, however have the run of the yard always and I just send them into the run with the chickens at night for safety.
The Muscovy I won't allow into the run because I'm afraid he'll unintentionally hurt some of my smaller chickens in the confined space.
So for now the poor guy, rather than sleep under the deck or in the bushes, sleeps next to the run on the walkway every night.
'Possum

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby claypigeon » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:55 pm

My chicken is egg bound!! I'm fairly sure because she's squatting. Any idea what I can to? I have been soaking her butt in warm water for at least fifteen minutes a day as recommended online.

hi!
clay★ she/her
i have many classes, work and no time. ((so please be patient w me !!)
electric guitar connoisseur. dead head and led head
pm me if you need to talk or just want a friend !!
If I owe you an unfinished commission I never did from years ago, which I did often bc I was a horrible little gremlin, please just let me know : )
johnny says stay cool
claypigeon

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ch!cken » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:46 am

Username: Cosmic_Chicken
Why are you joining: I love chickens and birds in general! im very happy i found this thread on cs!
Favorite poultry bird: Chickens to be exact Black australorp chickens or silkies!
Other: Thank you for creating this thread! <3
ImageImage she/they/he :3
Ch!cken

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Luzien » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:11 am

claypigeon wrote:My chicken is egg bound!! I'm fairly sure because she's squatting. Any idea what I can to? I have been soaking her butt in warm water for at least fifteen minutes a day as recommended online.

why do you think this, how long did this go,
when you did not already do this....call your vet as fast as possible, when it is really like this, then they need to help the poor thing or it could be to late....just ask them.. or go to a animal clinic!
Please klick them or they will die°°!!!
http://dragcave.net/user/Miriya I really search for the 2013 SUMMER EVENT missed pets
- the store pets and pets from wl, I search for german shepherds and rainbow doted dogs of '09--other dream pets ) RPG Costumes -Mage - Necromancer--RPG Flags and Banner-sun- moon...^//^
search this items:
Image-Image--Image-Image-Image
Luzien

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Argentsilk » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:40 am

I just joined Chicken Smoothie. I'm new to this forum but not new to raising 4-H Poultry.

Thank You for creating this thread.
Attachments
Bantam Rooster face.jpg
Bantam Rooster face.jpg (18.03 KiB) Viewed 35 times
Argentsilk

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me