* Pet Bird Chat * NEW

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What is your favorite fruit/veggie to feed your birds?

quinoa
7%
cucumber
12%
strawberry
20%
carrot
12%
jalapeno
6%
sweet peppers
5%
corn
9%
grapes
13%
rice
8%
sprouts
8%

Total votes : 826

Re: * Pet Bird Chat * NEW

Postby Pyjaks » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:01 am

Yeah there's nothing unhealthy about clipping a birds wings. If they have adequate space, toys, love and attention they will be completely fine with clipped wings.
Pyjaks

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:08 pm

LeiaWolfe wrote:Aw, I'm so sorry, I really hope that he knows his way back.. Good luck, Ranger~ :?
Luzien wrote:im sory for this, hope you catch him soon!!!
could you maybe set up a bird trap at the aviary with food he does like? or set up a small cage next to it so he can fly in there...
hope you find him soon....most birds are best caught in the early morning or beginning of night, as you can use a blanket or net and a flashlight to blind it for a second to faster catch it! good luck!
He's gone :( Thanks for the support and ideas, guys. I had been holding food out to him, but he was a bit overexcited, I think, and wouldn't come. If he had just staged his escape in the morning, he would have been alright! I could have just kept an eye on the cats, and he should have been hungry enough and calm enough by the afternoon/evening. But no; 'cleverness' got the better of my poor boy :( That being said, I believe Summer (his mate) has chicks, or at the very least, more eggs. I'm going to buy a honey-bell as soon as I can, but do you guys have any ideas on what supplements I could add to their diet to keep her strength up, since she'll now be tending babies on her own? A bowl of sugar-water, perhaps? Or would crushing their seed so it's easier to eat help?

Blackiie wrote:I have both clipped and I clipped birds. I clip them for their own safety. For example my cockatiels are unclipped because they don’t fly fast and are lazier birds. But if you have ever owned a kakariki you know they need to be slowed down in doors. My kak is extremely fast and he crashed into things in a small room. He doesn’t sit and talk, he explores and climbs up curtains and hangs upside down of lampshades, he’s crazy. So I clip his wings just enough to slow him down. Same with my little cousins budgies. They have small bedrooms and twice one the budgies have flown too fast and got caught behind a wardrobe or down the back of the bed. We don’t clip to stop flying. But captive birds with high energy are a risk. I would never ever clip my African greys wings. Just depends on the species to be honest
Wait, you have a kakariki?! :O Do you mind sharing a photo of him? (Or even finding a photo online of one would work, really.) I'm wondering if he's the same kind of bird I'm thinking of c:
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby leiawolfe » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:46 pm

Ranger of the North wrote:do you guys have any ideas on what supplements I could add to their diet to keep her strength up, since she'll now be tending babies on her own? A bowl of sugar-water, perhaps? Or would crushing their seed so it's easier to eat help?

I have a feeling that crushing her seeds could help, but I recommend not giving her sugar-water in case she gets ill. Although, that being said, you might need a second opinion since I am no breeding expert.
Gee, imagine a second Peanut!! :lol:
Oh, and plus, I have a strong feeling I should be worried about how excited he would get about a female around, judging by how he reacts to our fingernails..(he goes C-R-A-Z-Y, thinking that fingernails are female budgie beaks. He taps them and dances around them and sometimes throws up on them sympathetically :| , and, well.. there is one other thing we try to stop him from doing.)
--------------------
Also, @Ranger -
I saw your post about kakarikis, and I'm just saying that I love them so much! I have been to New Zealand twice and they were actually my favourite (well, actually, second favourite - maybe we can leave a spot for the Kea) bird there. They're so pretty, too, I had no idea you could keep them as pets!!
leah
australia
she/her
talk to me about anything and everything, my dms are always open !! sig is a wip ^^
leiawolfe

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby emjayy » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:38 am

This is my kakariki ^^

Edit; I’m on my phone, sorry if it’s too large ^^;
His name is Tui (too-eee) and his wings are clipped because he is CRAZY.
He’s a lutino yellow fronted kakariki so not the ones you see in pet stores. I got him from a special breeder in Ireland but the yellow fronted kakarikis are endangered in NZ 😥
Attachments
05B8ED26-603D-4818-9EFA-C039A528F538.jpeg
05B8ED26-603D-4818-9EFA-C039A528F538.jpeg (140.06 KiB) Viewed 27 times

roses, reasons, gay best friend.
♡ saoirse don phalaistín
♡ complete item collection - 29/12/19
♡ complete pet collection - 09/01/20
emjayy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:00 pm

LeiaWolfe wrote:
Ranger of the North wrote:do you guys have any ideas on what supplements I could add to their diet to keep her strength up, since she'll now be tending babies on her own? A bowl of sugar-water, perhaps? Or would crushing their seed so it's easier to eat help?
I have a feeling that crushing her seeds could help, but I recommend not giving her sugar-water in case she gets ill. Although, that being said, you might need a second opinion since I am no breeding expert.
Okay, thank you! C:

LeiaWolfe wrote:Gee, imagine a second Peanut!! :lol:
Oh, and plus, I have a strong feeling I should be worried about how excited he would get about a female around, judging by how he reacts to our fingernails..(he goes C-R-A-Z-Y, thinking that fingernails are female budgie beaks. He taps them and dances around them and sometimes throws up on them sympathetically :| , and, well.. there is one other thing we try to stop him from doing.)
Ahahaha! Birds are fun little sillies XD

LeiaWolfe wrote:Also, @Ranger -
I saw your post about kakarikis, and I'm just saying that I love them so much! I have been to New Zealand twice and they were actually my favourite (well, actually, second favourite - maybe we can leave a spot for the Kea) bird there. They're so pretty, too, I had no idea you could keep them as pets!!
Neither did I! :O

Blackiie wrote:This is my kakariki ^^

Edit; I’m on my phone, sorry if it’s too large ^^;
His name is Tui (too-eee) and his wings are clipped because he is CRAZY.
He’s a lutino yellow fronted kakariki so not the ones you see in pet stores. I got him from a special breeder in Ireland but the yellow fronted kakarikis are endangered in NZ 😥
He's so pretty! I had no idea there were other species! :D
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lexi<3 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:04 pm

Hello everyone!! I've been gone for awhile. Anyone remember me?

I have 35 parakeets now, and im selling them
╔═══════════════════════╗
Hello! Call me Lexi.
Pronouns are she/her
Feel free to trade me<3
I love birds.-- I'm a parakeet breeder with around 30 of them.
Need help with budgies? Ask me. Ive owned them for 7+ years.
soon to be cockatiel breeder

╚═══════════════════════╝

Lexi<3

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:57 am

Worthless wrote:Hello everyone!! I've been gone for awhile. Anyone remember me?

Oh, cool! How much do they usually go for?
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lexi<3 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:31 pm

Ranger of the North wrote:

I usually sell them for 15
But rn im selling them for 10 $

Im getting more buyers at Christmas time lol
Hello! Call me Lexi.
Pronouns are she/her
Feel free to trade me<3

Lexi<3

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:26 pm

Worthless wrote:
Ranger of the North wrote:

I usually sell them for 15
But rn im selling them for 10 $

Im getting more buyers at Christmas time lol
Oh, sweet! Sounds like a good business cx I usually sell my budgies for $15 except I accidentally sold most of this year's birds so-far to a petshop that gives $10, oops XD but I think the newest clutch are going to miss Christmas by a mile :p
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lexi<3 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:05 pm

[/quote]
Oh, sweet! Sounds like a good business cx I usually sell my budgies for $15 except I accidentally sold most of this year's birds so-far to a petshop that gives $10, oops XD but I think the newest clutch are going to miss Christmas by a mile :p
[/quote]

That's awesome! Fellow breeder :3.... which pet store did you sell them to? did you have to put bands on their legs to sell them?
Hello! Call me Lexi.
Pronouns are she/her
Feel free to trade me<3

Lexi<3

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me