* Pet Bird Chat * NEW

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What is your favorite fruit/veggie to feed your birds?

quinoa
7%
cucumber
12%
strawberry
20%
carrot
12%
jalapeno
6%
sweet peppers
5%
corn
9%
grapes
13%
rice
8%
sprouts
8%

Total votes : 826

Re: * Pet Bird Chat * NEW

Postby birbmememaster24 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:47 pm

I have a question for ya'll bird owners. I want a bird. But I've never had one, nor has anyone in my family. What are good beginner birds? I do have a 4 year old sister who would probably want to touch and pet the bird every once in awhile. I do want to keep it in my room as well. I do kind of want a bird that enjoys human contact, and wouldn't mind being pet and loved on all the time. I've heard good about cockatiels, but figured i'd double check

I hope someday my sadness will be replaced by something beautiful
    Matthew ♡ Bisexual ♡ He/Him c

Image Image Image
birbmememaster24

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby zaz » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:03 pm

juliebean223 wrote:I have a question for ya'll bird owners. I want a bird. But I've never had one, nor has anyone in my family. What are good beginner birds? I do have a 4 year old sister who would probably want to touch and pet the bird every once in awhile. I do want to keep it in my room as well. I do kind of want a bird that enjoys human contact, and wouldn't mind being pet and loved on all the time. I've heard good about cockatiels, but figured i'd double check

cockatiels are amazing beginner birds!! they're really loving and fun pets
    parakeets can be a bit of a gamble, and usually people get them in pairs, however sometimes the birds will bond with eachother too much and not like you. but they can also be amazing loving animals!

you can take a test here to determine the perfect bird for you as well!
zaz ♦ she/they ♦ <3

buttermilks
ImageImageImage
zaz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby birbmememaster24 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:10 pm

kitana. wrote:
juliebean223 wrote:I have a question for ya'll bird owners. I want a bird. But I've never had one, nor has anyone in my family. What are good beginner birds? I do have a 4 year old sister who would probably want to touch and pet the bird every once in awhile. I do want to keep it in my room as well. I do kind of want a bird that enjoys human contact, and wouldn't mind being pet and loved on all the time. I've heard good about cockatiels, but figured i'd double check

parakeets can be a bit of a gamble, and usually people get them in pairs, however sometimes the birds will bond with eachother too much and not like you. but they can also be amazing loving animals!

should i start off with one bird, and then if it appears to be stressed, get another or just start with two?

Image Image Image
birbmememaster24

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kusakabe » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:10 pm

Username: xthunderbolt
How many birds do you own? ( if applicable ): 2, 1 cockatiel and 1 parrot
How long have you had them?: both for around 3 years
What brings you to the bird chat?: i just love birds <3
Kenji // th //artshop //
Kusakabe

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby zaz » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:13 pm

juliebean223 wrote:
kitana. wrote:

should i start off with one bird, and then if it appears to be stressed, get another or just start with two?

it depends on the bird. some species are perfectly fine being alone, and some like lovebirds, are always in pairs.
    what type of birds were you thinking of?

@xthunderbolt welcome!!
zaz ♦ she/they ♦ <3

buttermilks
ImageImageImage
zaz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby birbmememaster24 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:15 pm

kitana. wrote:
juliebean223 wrote:
kitana. wrote:

it depends on the bird. some species are perfectly fine being alone, and some like lovebirds, are always in pairs.
    what type of birds were you thinking of?

@xthunderbolt welcome!!

generally any type of cockatiel, the one recommended by the quiz was a Pied Cockatiel

Image Image Image
birbmememaster24

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kusakabe » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:16 pm

juliebean223 wrote:
kitana. wrote:

I have 1 cockatiel and she is doing just perfectly (her name is Ruby) ive had my baby for around 3 years and she is perfectly fine she loves attention, but i have older siblings too. A friend would be great but if you are getting 2 get them at the same time that way they will both have a friend <3 and you wont really have to worry about stress and stuff, but every bird is different and getting 2 can be expensive.
Kusakabe

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby birbmememaster24 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:30 pm

Xthunderbolt wrote:
juliebean223 wrote:
kitana. wrote:

I have 1 cockatiel and she is doing just perfectly (her name is Ruby) ive had my baby for around 3 years and she is perfectly fine she loves attention, but i have older siblings too. A friend would be great but if you are getting 2 get them at the same time that way they will both have a friend <3 and you wont really have to worry about stress and stuff, but every bird is different and getting 2 can be expensive.

Yeah, my parents willl probably make me pay for the bird and most expenses from it myself, and i dont currently have a job so i probably would have a hard time paying for two

Image Image Image
birbmememaster24

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Pyjaks » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:33 pm

I wouldn't recommend getting a bird if you don't have the funds for it. They're expensive on their own. Add in cages, toys, food and vet bills and they can be very pricey sometimes.
Pyjaks

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby birbmememaster24 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:52 pm

i do plan to pick up a job once i get a bird, its just actually buying THE BIRD thats my biggest concern, but i've got lots of ways to get money, like just small chores at my nana's farm

Image Image Image
birbmememaster24

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me