Dog Owner Chat V. 5

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Dog Owner Chat V. 5

Postby ru. » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:40 am

@Middy It's great that it seems like the breeder has given her such a good start. From the sounds of it she is comfortable it most situations! I'm excited to watch her grow from a distance haha and hear about how she continues to progress in her training!
Is she from sporting, working, or show lines? Or a mix?

@doggas: Blue is gorgeous! I actually love her ears, haha!
Were you considering doing a DNA test on her at all?
Anyway, that's really great the progress that she has made in such a short time!
I had the same problem trying to teach that to Edgar. He kept wanting to jump and had problems holding himself up, I think it is due to his size (80lbs & 26in tall) and his lack of core strength.
How big is she, if you know? (height at the withers & weight?)
It might be a contributing factor.
But! It's doable! Just keep at it. Try to hold the treat low enough that jumping won't achieve anything. (She sounds bright so she should catch on soon enough that she won't be rewarded if she jumps). The more you practice the stronger her core should become and holding the position should become easier for her.

방탄소년단 wrote:
      x
      imzadi + ru. - thank you both for the suggestions! i've also thought about irish + english setters, but i haven't looked into them too much. i think a golden would be the best fit so far for a service dog, i'm fine with them shedding a bit, i just don't want to leave a trail of hair wherever we go. poodles would be a good choice, i think they fit most of my needs, but sadly, i'm not a huge fan of them.

little terriers are quite cute, though i'd be constantly scared that i'd accidentally step on them. over the past few days i've seen some really gorgeous & talented aussies competing at crufts, it's made me fall in love with them even more. another breed i'm looking at is a nova scotia duck tolling retriever! they're one of my favorite breeds, though i've seen barely any at competitions, i'm not entirely sure if they'd be a good fit for what i want to do.

anyway, thank you both again for the advice! i appreciate it a lot.

Definitely look into Goldens! Reach out to breeders in your area and see if they have had any success placing service dogs. There is a reason that Goldens are successful as service dogs so it could be the perfect match for what you need.

Other sporting dogs like setters could work but I believe that fewer are really programmed for that sort of thing. With proper they could potentially do beautifully though. My Grandpa had a field line English Setter (Llewellin Setter) that once she matured grew to have a very gentle disposition. Eager to please and a great bird dog. He gave her a job to do and she thrived.
However, since she was such an awesome model a few of my extended family members followed suit and got setters as well but they all ended up being way over their heads with bouncy energetic dogs that they didn't know how to manage so every one of them rehomed their dogs, sadly.
So. In short I think maybe a Setter could work if you communicate with the breeder and you make sure that they know their job so they can grow to love it.

I understand that feeling completely about smaller dogs, haha! They are a good option for those who want a lively dog that doesn't require as intense of exercise for the owner,
but the smallness does have it's downsides.

An Aussie could certainly work if you're​ willing to put the daily effort into mental and physical stimulation. (:
I don't have much first hand experience with Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retrievers (Tollers) but I have always heard that Tollers are very energetic, intelligent/bright and fun. I've actually heard that their energy requirements can be right up there near Border Collie level so that would be something to consider. I would definitely try to reach out to some people who have experience with the breed to see what they think.
I've had success reaching out to dog owners on Instagram or other social media when I'm curious about first hand experience with a breed. Those who have lived with and are serious about a breed tend to know them best! (:

If you like Aussies you should also look into Miniature American Shepherds. They were previously known as "Miniature Australian Shepherds" there was just a recent name change when they were accepted by the AKC. They're not tiny. They're about 20-30 or so pounds so they are a good manageable size without being small. Not too much smaller than a Toller.

| INFJ | Capricorn | Blood Type B | Coyote Dæmon | Neutral Good | Creative Type |
ru.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby liv :) » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:36 am

@ru.

I love Blue’s ears, too... especially when she’s walking and they’re flopping up and down. They’re definitely one of her most endearing features.

As for the DNA test, yes. I’m very interested in doing one, particularly Embark. We were told she’s husky/lab, and after spending these last two weeks with her I think that it’s a realistic guess. Although, using a DNA test to confirm would be fun. Since Embark also tests for genetic health diseases, that’s an additional plus.

Not sure how big she is... her weight is around 35-40 lbs if that helps? She’s kinda smallish, but she probably still has a little room for growing.

Thanks for the advice on sit pretty! I’ll definitely keep working on it with her.
vet assistant
bio-med major
pisces sun, aquarius moon, cancer rising
intj-t
liv :)

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .Middy. » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:00 pm

Baby potato had a fun afternoon! E and Mal came over to finally meet O! Mal isn’t usually a fan of cheese puppies but she really liked Octavia! They make such a cute little pair! They played some fetch and keep away and just enjoyed playing together!

E and I went to a UKC trial this morning and she has convinced me to give conformation a try with O! So we practiced some stacking, then got some movement shots, and I had E check her teeth since she was basically a stranger and she will have to let strangers handle her for confo. She did really well with all of it! I’m so proud!

Also the UKC trial was a ton of fun! There were some beautiful aussies there, and even a MAS that I liked a lot. My favorite was the 3 month old Cane Corso puppy though! We got to talking to her owner and got to spend a good chunk of the day loving on her! The border collie was kinda ugly, and just not impressive at all. Not to mention his tail was stained with pee. 😐

Ru- I’d consider her performance bred. Her parents are both nice all around dogs though! Both have competed in various sports, both do some herding and I know her mom atleast does conformation. I wanna say dad might but I can’t remember for sure. He’s from ABCA lines, so more working than show I think.
.Middy.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby recklessgod » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:21 am

huge pitbull mix w/ a newborn baby

I just thought this was so cute, Pitbulls are my favorite breeds tbh. I really do not think pitbulls are awful dogs. This dog is huge compared to this tiny little baby, but he's just like a regular dog.
Last edited by recklessgod on Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
recklessgod

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Keriae » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:23 am

recklessgod wrote:huge pitbull w/ a newborn baby

I just thought this was so cute, Pitbulls are my favorite breeds tbh. I really do not think pitbulls are awful dogs. This dog is huge compared to this tiny little baby, but he's just like a regular dog.

Unfortunately Hulk isn't a pit c: He's just an overweight American Bully/BBM (I'm not too sure which) who is called a pit for the publicity.
Keriae

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby recklessgod » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:25 am

Keriae wrote:
recklessgod wrote:huge pitbull w/ a newborn baby

Unfortunately Hulk isn't a pit c: He's just an overweight American Bully/BBM (I'm not too sure which) who is called a pit for the publicity.

I believe they think he's a mix tbh. Either way, they all get really bad publicity so I still think it's a good thing for people to see. I just thought it was super cute.
recklessgod

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ru. » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:33 am

@doggas:
I am always so curious about dog DNA test results, so I would be very interested in seeing hers if you ever decide to make the purchase. (:
Since I am absolutely certain of the dog breeds in my family I've never had a reason to do one. Although the health testing would be nice!
I wish they would have been more of a thing back when I had a rescue dog. I always wanted to know for certain what his mix was. The shelter had guessed Rottweiler/"Pitbull"/Lab mix. But it seems like they always assume Lab mix, haha!

It might be worth it to get one for Blue if you want the health testing and affirmation of her breed mix. (: Especially since shelter/rescue dog breeds are usually just best guesses and can be way off unless of course they are an owner surrender and the owner knew for certain. Although I wouldn't be surprised if Blue really is husky/lab! She could very well be.

8 months is usually starting to near full height unless they are a giant breed. Then they start to fill out for the next year or two as they fully mature (depending on the breed/full grown size).

@Middy
She's looking great! & Your friend's Malinois is gorgeous!
That bit about the BC w/ the pee stained tail made me laugh I don't know why 😂 Ah well!
Most of the Border Collies in my area are ABCA working line ranch dogs so that's what I'm most familiar with. Sounds like she's going to be great for whatever job you give her! ;)
Last edited by ru. on Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
| INFJ | Capricorn | Blood Type B | Coyote Dæmon | Neutral Good | Creative Type |
ru.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Marley.&.Me » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:43 am

I know it’s a rarer breed (I think??)

But I was thinking of getting a Lagotto Romagnolo.. They’re just absolutely beautiful and stunning looking.

But are they like Poodles/Bichons etc that need hair cuts? Or no? I can’t seem to find that information?

//NOT getting one ANYTIME soon. I’d like to do more research beforehand//
Marley.&.Me

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ru. » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:02 am

I do believe that the Lagotto Romagnolo is a breed that has hair that continues to grow and needs regular grooming) cutting to maintain it, yes. (:

I've been going on an on about Goldens but I realized that it's been forever since I shared any photos here of my boy Edgar!
He's going grey and it's starting to hit me that he isn't a young pup anymore. :( He turns 7 in May so he's not an old man yet but he's getting up there.

ru.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BananaBean » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:35 am

@ru.

Edgar is such a handsome boy! its been a while since I've seen a golden! no one where i live have goldens and its a shame because they are such good dogs!
BananaBean

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me