Betta Fish Owner Chat V.1

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Betta Fish Owner Chat V.1

Postby BlingBling » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:55 pm

The local Petco has been tempting me with their pretties since the new location opened. Seen quite a few cheap koi although they've almost all had obvious blue marbling and the ones that didn't were either scrawny young males or female. I'm really hoping to find a nice male koi plakat and maybe split a 10gal with a pretty butterfly

I'm not quite the most knowledgeable on bettas inparticular, so I have a question before shopping: Are there any tail types that are unhealthy? For example, ones that weigh the fish down too much and often cause biting I'd certainly not want to keep

Shawol - Monbebe - Carat - Insomnia
BlingBling

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby PeachFuzz » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:06 pm

Oratorio wrote:The local Petco has been tempting me with their pretties since the new location opened. Seen quite a few cheap koi although they've almost all had obvious blue marbling and the ones that didn't were either scrawny young males or female. I'm really hoping to find a nice male koi plakat and maybe split a 10gal with a pretty butterfly

I'm not quite the most knowledgeable on bettas inparticular, so I have a question before shopping: Are there any tail types that are unhealthy? For example, ones that weigh the fish down too much and often cause biting I'd certainly not want to keep

Halfmoons and delta tails are usually the ones with heavy tails that make them more likely to be tail biters. Double tails are prone to internal organ issues because they tend to have shorter bodies than other tail types which means the organs are cramped. I'm not aware of any other tail type specific health problems but someone else may know more.
Image Image Image
PeachFuzz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BlingBling » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:50 am

PeachFuzz wrote:
Oratorio wrote:The local Petco has been tempting me with their pretties since the new location opened. Seen quite a few cheap koi although they've almost all had obvious blue marbling and the ones that didn't were either scrawny young males or female. I'm really hoping to find a nice male koi plakat and maybe split a 10gal with a pretty butterfly

Halfmoons and delta tails are usually the ones with heavy tails that make them more likely to be tail biters. Double tails are prone to internal organ issues because they tend to have shorter bodies than other tail types which means the organs are cramped. I'm not aware of any other tail type specific health problems but someone else may know more.

Thank you so much! I'll 100% skip the doubles then c:

Shawol - Monbebe - Carat - Insomnia
BlingBling

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Syddeycat » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:33 pm

I used to own a Beta Fish and he kind of froze to death.. so just make sure that your beta fish live in a warm environment!
Syddeycat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby DemureGirl » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:08 am

I own and have recently started to breed Betta

The betta I currently own are:

Sub-Zero, a stunning black and blue boy

Chakrii, a halfmoon boy who I ordered from Thailand.

Now, the girls...

Nora, a dumbo halfmoon plakat

Ember, a double tail with the most amazing combo of colours

Calypso, a halfmoon

Marble, a real rainbow fish! The colours incuded in her scales are: White, celophane, black, blue, red and yellow

Misty, beautiful halfmoon but one heck of an attitude

Violet, a wild coloured girl

Princess Pearl, pure white with transparant fins, halfmoon plakat

Evita, halfmoon female. Silver with red fins

Some photos of my brood:
Sub-Zero

Chakrii

Nora. This was after she had been bred with Sub-Zero so she was looking a bit worse for wear. Betta breeding is not something to undertake lightly. Nora got off very very lightly. It's not uncommon for betta to kill their mates

Marble

Ember. She has a lot more blue on her now!

Bonus! Baby betta face
DemureGirl

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sunny! » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:44 pm

DemureGirl wrote:I own and have recently started to breed Betta

The betta I currently own are:

Sub-Zero, a stunning black and blue boy

Chakrii, a halfmoon boy who I ordered from Thailand.

Now, the girls...

Nora, a dumbo halfmoon plakat

Ember, a double tail with the most amazing combo of colours

Calypso, a halfmoon

Marble, a real rainbow fish! The colours incuded in her scales are: White, celophane, black, blue, red and yellow

Misty, beautiful halfmoon but one heck of an attitude

Violet, a wild coloured girl

Princess Pearl, pure white with transparant fins, halfmoon plakat

Evita, halfmoon female. Silver with red fins

Some photos of my brood:
Sub-Zero

Chakrii

Nora. This was after she had been bred with Sub-Zero so she was looking a bit worse for wear. Betta breeding is not something to undertake lightly. Nora got off very very lightly. It's not uncommon for betta to kill their mates

Marble

Ember. She has a lot more blue on her now!

Bonus! Baby betta face

Those are adorable! I am going to add you to the roster.

link
link
link
link
link
©

I’m not as active as I used to be, I’ll be here for big events such as Christmas and Summer.

Sunny!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby marinara sauce » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:43 pm

i used to have two bettas, which my cousin now owns (he takes care of them better) and put them in a large-ish tank together. they didnt fight at all, but now they're in a separate tank. i never checked to see what their gender was, but does that mean they're both females? i heard female betta fish are much better in a tank together than males as long as they had a bunch of hiding places and enough space
┏━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┓
pisces ☀ | taurus ☾ | virgo ⇡
she/her
i'm not as active on CS anymore,
apologies for the late responses
to anything

┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛
marinara sauce

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby OliCat » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:56 pm

This is my betta here :) only picked him up yesterday!
I've named him Apollo, Like the greek god of the sun because of his colours.
He's a Crowntail Betta, quite rare colouration to find in the crowntails.
So far he's eating fine and is very active all good signs!
Please excuse the lack of decoration in his tank still needing to get plants for it, wasn't planning on getting a betta until the tank was fully set up but then I seen him in the shop yesterday and just had to have him before someone else got to him first!!

IMG_1020.JPG
IMG_1020.JPG (92.08 KiB) Viewed 49 times

IMG_1026 (2).JPG
IMG_1026 (2).JPG (67.2 KiB) Viewed 49 times
OliCat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:06 pm

DemureGirl wrote:I own and have recently started to breed Betta

You have gorgeous fish! I especially love the black and blue plakat boy <3

I have two bettas, a cellophane and partial dragon scale/pineapple marking plakat boy Ossu and a red delta tail Manfred Von Maserati (Mammu). Ossu has been with me for more than a year and a half, Mammu about 7 months. Both live alone in heated, filtered and planted tanks, active Ossu has 12 gallons, heavily finned Mammu 6.6 gallons.

Both came from the same LFS. Ossu was the fish no one wanted, he'd been in there for at least two months before I bought him. Mammu was a rescue - in a way. This store takes good care of their fish, but Mammu had just lost his will to live. His fins were so clamped they looked like tiny melted plastic sticks. I couldn't leave him there to die so home he came. Three days later his fins were fully open and magnificent :)

Re:

Postby DemureGirl » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:05 am

++® wrote:
        i used to have two bettas, which my cousin now owns (he takes care of them better) and put them in a large-ish tank together. they didnt fight at all, but now they're in a separate tank. i never checked to see what their gender was, but does that mean they're both females? i heard female betta fish are much better in a tank together than males as long as they had a bunch of hiding places and enough space

Quite possibly. Most of my girls live in a 150l community, but Ember and Calypso live in a smaller 60l tank by themselves. Some girls don't do well in a soroity and there will be the ocasion where they will beat each other up but it's rarely worse than a slightly torn fin. You have to be careful though, sometimes they will do some serious damage. Calypso was attacked badly in the soroity which is why she now lives with Ember.
If you have a photo of them I could probably tell you their gender :)

Gariana, thank you! He is quite a looker <3

Olicat, oh he is STUNNING. The name suits him so well <3
DemureGirl

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me