Dungeons and Dragons Club

Join or create fan clubs about your favorite things!

Favorite Basic Rules Race

Dragonborn
12%
Dwarf
No votes
Elf
26%
Gnome
No votes
Half-Elf
10%
Halfing
5%
Half-Orc
5%
Human
5%
Tiefling
38%

Total votes : 42

Re: Dungeons and Dragons Club

Postby guroboss » Tue May 07, 2019 1:57 am

Hey all! I'm super new to d&d (I've never played, but I'm in that "everyone wants to play, but nobody wants to DM" sitch), so I'm kind of DMing my first campaign as well! I'm familiar with it through TAZ, and through my sister, who's played a bit. I was originally going to play an adventure with a premise I saw on another forum, but ended up scrapping it, and writing my own instead, but I'm very excited (and hopefully my hubris isn't my downfall lmao).

From what I've seen in my sister's group (and the one time I almost played until our initial DM turned out to be an awful person), we've mostly used alignment to get an idea of what our character might be like when coming up with one, but not necessarily as a big mechanic in the game as much as it might've been in earlier editions. (Also imo race-based alignments are Whack)

friday. they/she. bi. adult. istp.
⏤⏤⏤⏤⏤⏤⏤⏤⏤ᦸᦸᦸᦸᦸᦸ☎
𝙙𝙤 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙡𝙞𝙠𝙚 𝙨𝙘𝙖𝙧𝙮 𝙢𝙤𝙫𝙞𝙚𝙨? 𝙬𝙝𝙖𝙩❜𝙨 𝙮𝙤𝙪𝙧 𝙛𝙖𝙫𝙤𝙧𝙞𝙩𝙚?
playing: bg3 // watching: tokyo ghoul⏤⏤ spotify. toyhouse.

📌naming all my pets!
📌current count:
847!
guroboss

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby KickingPixies » Tue May 07, 2019 2:00 am

geocities wrote:
    Hey all! I'm super new to d&d (I've never played, but I'm in that "everyone wants to play, but nobody wants to DM" sitch), so I'm kind of DMing my first campaign as well! I'm familiar with it through TAZ, and through my sister, who's played a bit. I was originally going to play an adventure with a premise I saw on another forum, but ended up scrapping it, and writing my own instead, but I'm very excited (and hopefully my hubris isn't my downfall lmao).

From what I've seen in my sister's group (and the one time I almost played until our initial DM turned out to be an awful person), we've mostly used alignment to get an idea of what our character might be like when coming up with one, but not necessarily as a big mechanic in the game as much as it might've been in earlier editions. (Also imo race-based alignments are Whack)

Good luck! Dm'ing is a big job, so I hope it goes well for you!
KickingPixies

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby idky, » Tue May 07, 2019 2:25 pm

geocities wrote:

yeah...i agree about race-based alignments... i wouldn't even agree with class-based alignments, even though they would make a lot more sense in the case of paladins and necromancers for example.
    good luck dming btw! do tell us how it's going!
    and gosh i can't help it; ur signature rocks♡ paint is my childhood

landslide wrote:
      woah !! i left for health stuff, but i'm so happy to come back and see the thread all decorated and such !! :0c honestly i came back to cs to see if i could get more dnd pals sfuidgfsui

would i be able to join the discord? ik there's a link on the front page, i just feel a little funky hoppin in without askin, ya feel?

also a note on the alignment thing; tbh i only find alignment useful in the case of extremes. for instance, in my campaign, i have a lawful good paladin who is very strict abt her oaths. we're currently in a very crime-centric arc, and it plays HUGELY into how she acts, so it comes up often.

but the rest of our characters ? honestly the alignments (two chaotic neutrals and a true neutral) never really come up in a significant way. but, on the other hand, i think losing the alignments entirely might lead to a bit of spiral towards evil, at least with my players

hmm haven't thought about it that way... i suppose alignment is useful there. my party's just been lucky to always have two goody two-shoes to balance it out (i always fall into this category, the other's a paladin, so). the other two, well, one of them always chooses the exact opposite of what the party wants, and the other is a bloodthirsty barbarian who wouldn't mind if the whole campaign was a single huge killing spree. so they are quite problematic, to say the least :v not really the diplomat kind

┌────────────────

today's song:__________________________
『more productive comfortable』
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾fitter happierradiohead,

────────────────┘
idky,

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re:

Postby Arya22 » Thu May 09, 2019 8:16 am

landslide wrote:
      woah !! i left for health stuff, but i'm so happy to come back and see the thread all decorated and such !! :0c honestly i came back to cs to see if i could get more dnd pals sfuidgfsui

would i be able to join the discord? ik there's a link on the front page, i just feel a little funky hoppin in without askin, ya feel?

-snip-

Of course you can join!! ^^ Come on in, we're always looking for more friendly peeps! Sorry I didn't reply earlier, I'm not much on CS anymore. XP
Bookworm | she/her | bi & demisexual
I am Arya22 and I'm a female who likes reading
Pm me to chat about anything at all!
Signature coded by Amburned. Thank you!!
Arya22

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Actionbat » Fri May 10, 2019 7:30 am

Hello, all the new ppl!
With the alignment discussion, as a DM I've always used it here and there. I feel like at times it can be a good mechanic for certain situations and such. I find it most useful in situations dealing with religions (like landside said, with paladins often alignment can be important). I'm usually not too strict on it though, and I've said before in the discord that I think that alignment can be really restrictive for players and i'd rather players just make a character and act according to how they think that character would act based on their background, traits, etc, etc rather than "what would a GOOD character do".

Keep up updated on ur campaign Geocities! If you need anything, i've been Dming for a while now so I can try to answer any questions you have (though warning I will say I am largly taught by google and youtube and "whatever i don't care just do what you want").
Dming can be a lot of fun, but I have to warn you its a test of patience that often feels like babysitting a bunch of intoxicated 5 year olds.
"Bat" - She/her - Art Major

I sit around and play dnd and stuff.
I casually watch anime, mostly just
Sweetness and Lightning tho.
Check out The D&D Club sometime
Actionbat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby PARK » Fri May 10, 2019 8:58 am

hey! my friends and i are planning a campaign, the dm has been working on world building on and off and i'm super excited! this will be my first ever campaign, and the character i made is honestly one of my favorite ocs i've ever made. his name is rurvus (links to his toyhou.se page) and he's a triton!

i had trouble figuring out how to calculate stats and stuff. it was so frustrating, ugh. most websites weren't helpful at all because there's math involved which i'm horrible at, but orcpub made it 100% easier! it might be a good link to add to the helpful links section!
PARK

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Actionbat » Fri May 10, 2019 2:11 pm

Hello there, Grubby Animal! Ur character looks super fun. I love tritons... and pirates. I hope you have lots of fun with ur first campaign! Homebrew campaigns can always be super fun especially with friends, cause in my experience it's a little bit more of a relaxed game.
I took a look at orcpub, and ill definitely add it. A lot of the new players in the campaign we're doing on discord had issues doing stats too, so I think that would help a lot in the future! Thank you!

I'm currently writing a campaign to do with my friends IRL in the summer, but am kind of stuck on what to have as the main conflict, I was thinking of having something along with a more political plotline but I wasn't sure if that would be interesting? Like the group is in a richer city that's currently in a time of political unrest due to the death of their latest ruler, there's a current election for a new ruler, there's a conspiracy of murder, uprisings, etc etc. But again, not sure how much fantasy politics would interest ppl

Actionbat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby idky, » Sat May 11, 2019 5:56 am

Actionbat wrote:I'm currently writing a campaign to do with my friends IRL in the summer, but am kind of stuck on what to have as the main conflict, I was thinking of having something along with a more political plotline but I wasn't sure if that would be interesting? Like the group is in a richer city that's currently in a time of political unrest due to the death of their latest ruler, there's a current election for a new ruler, there's a conspiracy of murder, uprisings, etc etc. But again, not sure how much fantasy politics would interest ppl

how about getting inspiration from history that is sure to be thrilling? like the french revolution, the abolition of serfdom or the gunpowder plot. i bet anyone would be interested in those :)

┌────────────────

today's song:__________________________
『more productive comfortable』
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾fitter happierradiohead,

────────────────┘
idky,

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Actionbat » Sat May 11, 2019 6:06 am

nua, wrote:
    how about getting inspiration from history that is sure to be thrilling? like the french revolution, the abolition of serfdom or the gunpowder plot. i bet anyone would be interested in those :)

Oooh I hadn't thought about actually pulling from history. I don't know a lot about history, but my boyfriendis really into it and I could pretty easily get him to help me with it. I like the thought of drawing from the french revolution especially.... hmmmm you've definitely given me ideas. Thank you!!

Actionbat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Noraku. » Sat May 11, 2019 6:16 am

First time I've seen DnD out there in the world...
On CS. I've always been interested in DnD, and I think I have the board game somewhere, but I've never really been able to find anywhere to play it.
I also had a problem with being inactive sometimes, but most the time I usually am active, which is why I've had a spark of interest in it.

I did play Pathfinder on Discord though. However, it died after an argument over the environment between 2 mods and the DM. The server then got deleted, which was pretty upsetting for most of us-

I also did get involved in a non-canon arena space for it too, which was pretty fun to play around with. They sometimes used it for testing weapons and races.

I'm sat here typing this message because I'm really interested in the game, and I would love to get involved! Hope I can be welcome in the DnD server!~
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
``one day, i'll
leave you behind!``

➤ call me roku or merit!
➤ she/her and they/them
➤ pisces!
➤ probably obsessed with
blue exorcist, the rising
of the shield hero,
the disastrous life of
saiki k and pokemon!
➤ pms are always open!