❀ || Plant Lovers

Join or create fan clubs about your favorite things!

Re: Plant ❀ Lovers

Postby EllaBellaElla » Fri May 29, 2015 2:26 pm

Hi
I'm really happy to see that there is a plant group :) Does anyone here have sugar cane or any tips for growing sugar cane?
EllaBellaElla

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Thalassic » Fri May 29, 2015 7:32 pm

@wenom
cacti are usually pretty easy to take care of and don't require a lot of attention, I'm sure you will be fine!

I really want to try my hand at growing a citrus plant again, but since I'm not entirely sure why my lemon tree never looked very healthy, I'm scared I might just screw it up again. (poor baby died ;-; was only like 2 years old, too)
xxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxx
x
x
x
x
xxxx

x
x
x
x
xxxxxxxx

x
x
xxx

x
xxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Zan | NB | they/them | pan/ace
xxxxxx lgbtq+ | atheist | satanist | artist xxxxxx
sig art ; avatar art
xxxxxxxxxx
x
x
x
x
xxxx

x
x
x
x

xxxxxxxx
x
x
xxxxxx

x

xxxxxxx
Thalassic

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby lesbian » Sat May 30, 2015 9:48 am

EllaBellaElla wrote:Hi
I'm really happy to see that there is a plant group :) Does anyone here have sugar cane or any tips for growing sugar cane?

Welcome! When I initially made the thread I was very surprised to see there were no other threads dedicated to plants and the like so I decided to make one! I'm afraid I have no experience with Sugar Cane, but, I'm curious about it. Do you grow it to use or as decoration?

The Kraken wrote:@wenom
cacti are usually pretty easy to take care of and don't require a lot of attention, I'm sure you will be fine!

I really want to try my hand at growing a citrus plant again, but since I'm not entirely sure why my lemon tree never looked very healthy, I'm scared I might just screw it up again. (poor baby died ;-; was only like 2 years old, too)

Hehe, I hope so!

I'd really love to grow a lemon tree, my dad already has an apple and a pear tree so I might convince him to buy me one. Do you know what went wrong? If it always looked sickly there's a chance it had disease and there was nothing you could have done anyway. You can't control that, don't blame yourself, and don't give up, try again! If you were able to keep a sickly plant alive for two years, imagine what you could do with a healthy one.

--

My dad bought me a bunch of succulents today, I think almost all are cacti except one {I could be wrong though, it might also be a cactus} which looks like aloe, but I don't think it's aloe as it's leaves don't look quite right for it. Unfortunately the plants didn't come with their species names so I'm not sure if they have different requirements from one another and if some need more or less water than others, and if some prefer different types of soil {I know they're cacti and as a general rule survive on very little water, but I am a very concerned plant-parent}. Anyway, they're all beautiful: My cuties!

For Samwise, I was curious, does anyone have any idea what the brown spots on him are? I'm a little worried.
❤️
🧡
🤍
💗
❤️
hàlo, is mise fineal! (hello, my name is fennel!)
i'm a queer artist from scotland, & i've been on
cs for 12 years now!! mainly here to collect tho
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
they/them • adhd (bad @ pms/trades) • lesbian
❤️
🧡
🤍
💗
❤️
lesbian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Thalassic » Sat May 30, 2015 10:47 am

I thought I've had for a while is that the soil wasn't right for it.
Since keeping it in sunlight for longer and shorter times didn't change anything. And neither did how much I watered it or what I fed it with.
xxxxxxxxxx
x
x
x
x
xxxx

x
x
x
x
xxxxxxxx

x
x
xxx

x
xxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
sig art ; avatar art
xxxxxxxxxx
x
x
x
x
xxxx

x
x
x
x

xxxxxxxx
x
x
xxxxxx

x

xxxxxxx
Thalassic

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby lesbian » Sat May 30, 2015 11:26 am

Do you know what type of soil you used for it? If I recall correctly, citrus fruits prefer slightly acidic soil with a lot of drainage. And they're quite sensitive to the cold. On a site I just looked on it suggests that you plant the tree quite shallowly with mulch over the top. It also says that they require watering once a week.
❤️
🧡
🤍
💗
❤️
❤️
🧡
🤍
💗
❤️
lesbian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Thalassic » Sat May 30, 2015 12:41 pm

I didn't think to check what kind it was and I think I used up he whole bag back then : /

I'm going to try to see if some stores don't have citrus-specific soil or something, though. If not, gonna have to google what exactly is good for them and what isn't.
I do really hope I can try again. Last time I planted a good handful of seeds, half of which grew, from which I then picked out the strongest looking ones and replanted them. And after a couple months, only 3 were left. Until I noticed that 2 of them didn't seem to grow anymore or grew oddly. So out of a handful of seeds, I ended up with one decently healthy plant.
But it never did get the "shiny" green leaves like lemon trees are supposed to have, but more like this.
xxxxxxxxxx
x
x
x
x
xxxx

x
x
x
x
xxxxxxxx

x
x
xxx

x
xxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
sig art ; avatar art
xxxxxxxxxx
x
x
x
x
xxxx

x
x
x
x

xxxxxxxx
x
x
xxxxxx

x

xxxxxxx
Thalassic

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby EllaBellaElla » Sat May 30, 2015 4:07 pm

wenom wrote:

Welcome! When I initially made the thread I was very surprised to see there were no other threads dedicated to plants and the like so I decided to make one! I'm afraid I have no experience with Sugar Cane, but, I'm curious about it. Do you grow it to use or as decoration?

Where I live sugar cane seems to be popping up all over the place in people's gardens. You can eat it raw and use it as a substitute to normal white sugar. Some people though just grow it for decoration.
EllaBellaElla

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby lesbian » Sat May 30, 2015 11:02 pm

The Kraken wrote:I didn't think to check what kind it was and I think I used up he whole bag back then : /

I'm going to try to see if some stores don't have citrus-specific soil or something, though. If not, gonna have to google what exactly is good for them and what isn't.
I do really hope I can try again. Last time I planted a good handful of seeds, half of which grew, from which I then picked out the strongest looking ones and replanted them. And after a couple months, only 3 were left. Until I noticed that 2 of them didn't seem to grow anymore or grew oddly. So out of a handful of seeds, I ended up with one decently healthy plant.
But it never did get the "shiny" green leaves like lemon trees are supposed to have, but more like this.

It's fair enough, most people don't worry so much about soil pH, it's nbd. If you can't find any soils which are slightly acidic from any stores in your area, there are soils which you can buy online like for carnivorous plants {though they might be slightly too acidic, I'm not sure though} and they will likely be more expensive.

EllaBellaElla wrote:
wenom wrote:

Where I live sugar cane seems to be popping up all over the place in people's gardens. You can eat it raw and use it as a substitute to normal white sugar. Some people though just grow it for decoration.

Oh wow, I've never seen sugar cane irl, it'd be quite nice to grow it.
❤️
🧡
🤍
💗
❤️
❤️
🧡
🤍
💗
❤️
lesbian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby sapiosexual » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:21 am

ahhh my shy plant is growing<3
sapiosexual

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby lesbian » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:28 am

Oh my goodness, shy plants are so darn cute!<3
      Do you have any pictures of it?
❤️
🧡
🤍
💗
❤️
❤️
🧡
🤍
💗
❤️
lesbian

My pets
My items