❀ || Plant Lovers

Join or create fan clubs about your favorite things!

Re: ❀ || Plant Lovers

Postby Jodjo » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:19 pm

@avior
you're just a meme in disguise...

@kishu.
if you ever figure it out id love to see the succs!! i dont know how to help you though :(( still
sadly a new plant keeper!! (i know it should technically be gardener or something but i like
plant keeper <3)

@lesbian
i do the. same. exact thing!! pretty sure ive named by succulent but i dont remember anymore...

id like some advice on bamboo if anyone has any!! i got a random bamboo from ikea 2 years ago and
since then he has been living in water. he hasn't had any problems till now, but for some reason his
shoot that has 'shooted' i guess from the main shoot (god i hope thats what they're called) is now
turning brown!! also the tips of the second one are doing the same :( should we cut it off? idk what to
do for my poor bamboo boy :( (ALSO IM SO SO SORRY THAT MY KITCHEN IS IN THE BG RIP ME)

edit: forgot to include i purchased 6 marimo moss balls via amazon today!! so excited for them <3

hello! u can call me jo!
i am an adult!
activity is sporadic

talk to me about:
- my little pony
- precure / magical girls
- toy collecting

i don't bite!
trade me!
Jodjo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby mars » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:00 pm

@Jodjo: I have a lucky bamboo plant myself, I might be able to help! <3

without knowing more information, there are four main things that could be wrong: not having enough water to cover the roots completely, using chlorinated water, not having a large enough container to hold the roots, or having the plant in direct sunlight. not cleaning the bamboo's container properly is another option; however, that usually causes issues lower down like a yellowing stem or root rot first instead of yellowing leaves!

lack of water can cause leaves to yellow and die so make sure to keep your bamboo in water that covers its roots at minimum. water should never be directly from the tap (unless you have well water) as chemicals used to treat it can harm your plant! chlorine is notorious for yellowing bamboo leaves over time, and the only way to make it stop is to stop using water with chlorine in it. if bottled or distilled water is not an option, you can let water sit out in an open container for 24 hours to let the chlorine evaporate.

alternatively, plants seemingly watered enough can become root-bound if they are kept in a container too small for their roots, compacting the roots to the point where they can't properly take in water anymore. if this could be an issue, try moving your plant into a bigger container, making sure to gently pull the roots apart so it can take in water again! you can also trim the roots if you want to keep it in the same container, making sure to leave at least an inch of roots. my bamboo recently suffered from this since its roots grew a lot since I first got it, but it has a new, larger glass container to call home and has been in recovery for a week :)

direct sunlight is also very bad for bamboo - it's much too strong for it, so it should be kept in indirect light or it could get sunburned, causing leaves to die pretty rapidly. where I live, sunlight comes in the south side of my house so I keep my bamboo on a windowsill facing north where direct light never enters. if this hasn't been an issue until now and the plant hasn't been moved, this probably isn't the case; however, if you moved it within the past few months to a new window, you might want to monitor light conditions throughout the day to make sure it isn't being burnt as the sun changes positions.

also, if the leaves are dead and don't recover, the best thing to do is to either pluck them off gently or cut them off with scissors. good luck getting your bamboo healthy again !!!

화성 여성 레즈 감각처리장애 + 광장공포증

hi !! I'm mars, a gal with spd + agoraphobia.
I frequent the oc + adoptables side of cs.

my interests rn include genshin, skz,
learning languages, and drawing !! :3c

my cs inbox is full so please chat w/ me
on discord @ mars_v_e

나는 네가 자랑스럽다. 계속 최선을 다하거라 ♡

mars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby lesbian » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:26 pm

@kishu
        that's such a lovely way of creating names, I really
        like it! and I bet you come up w/ super unique and interesting names!

I usually chose names which have meanings behind
        them that I think reflect their 'personality' (by which I
        mean, what I perceive their personality is based upon
        how they look/respond to my care haha

graptoveria tituban is so pretty! I really want one haha,
        sedum morganianum too, I love trailing plants and I'd
        love one in a hanging pot one day! :3

also, re: plant injuries, afaik, it's not possible to heal
        wounds on plants, but as long as their care after that
        point is fine, they shouldn't develop new issues and if
        I really bothers you you could cut off the old, damaged
        growth (unless it is a cactus). ovo

@avior.
        I hadn't heard of kierweed before, what a beautiful plant!
        also, an incredible name, it made me laugh haha

dormant periods are really normal, and, in some cases
        some plants will even die if they don't have a period of
        dormancy! good to know your plants are back and
        growing again, mine are doing the exact same haha
        it's nice to see them growing again!!!

@jodjo
        I know very little about bamboo, but it seems palla has u
        covered! :3 (thanks ➳ palla!!! I'm hoping to get bamboo
        eventually so that advice, I'm sure, will help me one day!!)

omg! 6 marimo moss balls? that's amazing! I love my lil
        dude so much so I know your're gonna love your 6 kids!
        feel free to share pictures of them when you get them too!

❤️
🧡
🤍
💗
❤️
hàlo, is mise fineal! (hello, my name is fennel!)
i'm a queer artist from scotland, & i've been on
cs for 12 years now!! mainly here to collect tho
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
they/them • adhd (bad @ pms/trades) • lesbian
❤️
🧡
🤍
💗
❤️
lesbian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Jodjo » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:56 am

@➳ palla
thank you so, so much!! ive taken my lucky bamboo (thanks for letting me know what it's
called!!), separated the roots a bit (i think that may have been it because sadly the roots
were in a circle shape, just like the vase they were in :() placed him in a new container
thats longer so the roots can grow, added bottled water and put him in a different location.
im not sure what root rot looks like though, and also maybe i should put him in some soil? i
know that sounds so dumb, but he's been living in water just fine for a long time!! im
guessing not though, as he seems fine.

@lesbian
i am so excited!!! every time i remember them i am just so happy. this kinda sounds dumb,
but i think im gonna take them on small field trips, but make sure they dont spill or get to
much sunlight. for sure i will share some pictures!! once i find the right containers, i wanna
make them all pretty for my new babies <3

edit: i just got a bunch of gardening books from the library!! im excited to learn some more
stuff, though i dont know how much time ill have for that kind of thing :|
hello! u can call me jo!
i am an adult!
activity is sporadic

talk to me about:
- my little pony
- toy collecting

i don't bite!
trade me!
Jodjo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby lesbian » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:02 am

@jodjo
          that sounds amazing for your plants and i don't think that it sounds dumb!
          whenever i go anywhere without my plants i get anxious about their health

:Oc that sounds so interesting about getting gardening books, i know it
          maybe sounds silly, but i think i'd love to read some too, if you find any
          especially good/interesting ones, feel free to share!! :3

---

i'm getting a monstera deliciosa within the next few days and im so anxious
          about killing it (especially as it will be my most expensive plant :o ) i keep reading
          things about how tap water tends to be kind of dangerous because the chlorine &
          ammonia can be really dangerous to their roots, and then i read something about
          how if you leave the water for 18-24 the chlorine will evaporate out but some
          places treat tap water with chloramine which doesn't evaporate out and i'm just
          looking for advice on what to do with the water so i don't kill my new plant <3
❤️
🧡
🤍
💗
❤️
❤️
🧡
🤍
💗
❤️
lesbian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby dibidibidis » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:05 am

I bought a new sedum adolphii (firestorm) and an echeveria allegra yesterday, as an early birthday gift to myself!
Just potted them this afternoon, here they are:
ImageImage

I'm super satisfied with how these two came out! NGL I've been planning that Martini setup since my first succulent, just needed to find the right plant for it. Probably going to rearrange some stuff (the blue marbles look really awkward - I tried to make it look like water on a beach but obviously that didn't work out), but other than that, aa they're so pretty!

I highly recommend buying your own materials and building your own terrariums/setups/etc -- the total cost of the Martini set up, including the plant, was only around $8-9 CAD ($6-7 USD), while the total cost of the stump set up was around $15 CAD ($11 USD). Not to mention I still have a lot of extra shells/jewels/stones for my other projects!
Most decorated, prebuilt terrariums and the like I see on the market for anywhere between $20 to $40 CAD ($16 to $31 USD), and they're typically just fishbowl or other glass terrariums -- not really unique at all. If you're looking for some cool containers and flowerpots, try thrifting! You can find all kinds of unique stuff there, not to mention it being cheap, and good for whichever NPO it is. :P
(Also do some research beforehand if you're using unconventional containers!)

Anyhow, does anyone have any experience on propagating? I've been meaning to try it out but I'm too scared to start pruning leaves until I actually know what I'm doing ;w;
you did well today, you worked hard
04.08.1990-12.18.2017

(previously G a i u s)
dibidibidis

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Catskitten » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:27 am

PlantImageFriends

Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Image

succulent plant propagating tips
so many are asking so i wanna help:)

What leafs should i use?
*Green (no discolors like yellow brown)
*Healthy (no limping,wilting shriveled)
*None broken (no snapped ripped)

Gently removing leafs
slightly wiggle leaf till it loosen
(make sure to do so slowly to prevent damage)

let leaf sit for day to form callus on end
than i just put them wherever and mist with spray bottle once a day:)

@dibidibidis
I love making houses for plants those look amazing
i love the stump planter
@Jodjo
i want marimo moss balls so bad

Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Image

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Sootclan - [Login to Sta.sh]Image - My Adopts
The Collectables - Potion Creatures Lab - Babusagi Image

ImageImageImageAvatar Credit
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Catskitten

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby lesbian » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:25 pm

@dibs
        they're such beautiful plants and their setups are so lovely, my first thought when I saw the martini one was just how clever it is! though I must admit that when I saw the log one my first thought was that I need to do it... now...

and yeah catskitten is right, propagation of succulents is pretty easy, most will propagate from a leaf which, once a callous has formed on the area it was removed from the plant, can be left on a shallow plate (or whatever container you choose) to begin growing roots/an offset from the calloused area. allow them to grow until the original leaf has shrivelled up as that is their food source. and then gently wiggle the shrivelled, dried leaf to remove it and repot the new baby plants as you wish.

cacti can be more challenging - more intimidating to me, at least - as it requires cutting through their columns and allowing them to callous over and then planting them (I don't think I'll attempt this one). but cacti with big pads are a bit easier as you can just cut off a pad and plant it!

non-succulent plants have different propagation needs, and some are definitely more challenging than others, but if you need more advice feel free to ask! :3c we have so mmany knowledgeable peeps in this group, it's great
      !

@catskitten
        oh I hope you can get a marimo ball one day, they're such lovely plants and are relatively inexpensive! :)
❤️
🧡
🤍
💗
❤️
❤️
🧡
🤍
💗
❤️
lesbian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Jodjo » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:37 am

@lesbian
➳ palla earlier said that you can used bottled water instead of tap!
it can't have chlorine in it because its for drinking, and chlorine is
kinda dangerous to drink (i think??).
@dibidibidis
oh my goodness!! those are amazing!! i thought i was creative for
cutting up a plastic container for gallon of water and planting
my new cactus in it lol. i really love the little stump one!! the way
you used the shells in the two of them are really creative! im trying
to think of fun ways to plant my new children because i think after
a while it gets a bit repetitive to just have a pot and a plant.
@Catskitten
you can get like 6 of them for about 13 USD on amazon! thats what
i did, and they should be coming on monday <3 im sure you can get
cheaper ones though, and you need a container to hold them in but
you can use something you already have for sure!!

like i mentioned before, because my plant empire is swiftly growing,
i bought a cactus!! i used to have a small, slim cactus from my
grandma, but i killed it :( my new lil guy is kinda chunky and has a
few little yellow flowers on top!! i also got an air plant the other
day. my kingdom is growing rapidly... >:)
hello! u can call me jo!
i am an adult!
activity is sporadic

talk to me about:
- my little pony
- toy collecting

i don't bite!
trade me!
Jodjo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cheesecake. » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:33 am

dibidibidis wrote:I'm super satisfied with how these two came out! NGL I've been planning that Martini setup since my first succulent, just needed to find the right plant for it. Probably going to rearrange some stuff (the blue marbles look really awkward - I tried to make it look like water on a beach but obviously that didn't work out), but other than that, aa they're so pretty!

These are so creative, I love them!! The tree stump is definitely my favourite, but both are beautiful. I would love to try making one of my own some time in the future c:

I got some new plants today, but obviously I picked ones without labels so I would be truly grateful if anyone could help with identifying them!

woah these pictures turned out huge, I'm not sure how to resize them sorry ;-;
cheesecake.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me