Hedgehogposting -- A Sonic Thread

Games, Movies, TV, YouTube, Books and Music - discuss it all here!

Re: Hedgehogposting -- A Sonic Thread

Postby Mr. Taker » Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:53 pm

I've raged more than I'd like to admit while playing sonic games because I have the same issue with my reflexes...
I've been playing Sonic Origins Plus lately and I'm honestly shocked how bad I am at the og games because teenager-me used to oneshot those games back in the day smh.
I've heard some fans complaining about the games being too short but it's a bit hard to make a long lasting game when the main character is literally going at the speed of sound lol.

^ Also HI FERNGOAT I love Metal Sonic too!
And absolutely adored Chaos Sonic in Sonic Prime, especially when we haven't had a talking metal sonic in ages! Loved his personality.
Mr. Taker

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ItsAsher0 » Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:55 pm

Honestly it’s hard for me to keep up with his speed, I can never watch correctly, it makes me rage quit every time. The games may be short, but literally it’s the best sonic can do 💀
𝐀𝐬𝐡𝟑𝐫 • BDAY 4/20
Wafflecats Art! <3 • PXL

𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘦 𝘢 𝘭𝘪𝘵𝘵𝘭𝘦 𝘤𝘭𝘰𝘴𝘦𝘳 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘺𝘰𝘶'𝘭𝘭 𝘴𝘦𝘦.
𝘛𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨𝘴 𝘢𝘳𝘦𝘯'𝘵 𝘢𝘭𝘸𝘢𝘺𝘴 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘺 𝘴𝘦𝘦𝘮 𝘵𝘰 𝘣𝘦

𝐀𝐬𝐞𝐱𝐮𝐚𝐥 𝐃𝐢𝐠𝐢𝐭𝐚𝐥 𝐀𝐫𝐭 𝐋𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐬 𝐇𝐨𝐫𝐫𝐨𝐫 𝐀𝐧𝐢𝐦𝐞𝐕𝐢𝐝𝐞𝐨 𝐆𝐚𝐦𝐞𝐬

Excuse me sir, there must be someone you've confused me for!

Image 𝘊𝘶𝘳𝘳𝘦𝘯𝘵 𝘎𝘢𝘮𝘦𝘴; 𝘋𝘦𝘢𝘥 𝘐𝘴𝘭𝘢𝘯𝘥 2, 𝘡𝘦𝘭𝘥𝘢 𝘉𝘖𝘛𝘞 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘛𝘖𝘛𝘒, 𝘔𝘢𝘯𝘦𝘢𝘵𝘦𝘳, 𝘍𝘰𝘳𝘵𝘯𝘪𝘵𝘦 +! 𝘚𝘩𝘰𝘸𝘴/𝘔𝘰𝘷𝘪𝘦𝘴: 𝘍𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘰𝘶𝘵, 𝘛𝘩𝘦 100, 𝘋𝘪𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘨𝘦𝘯𝘵, 𝘏𝘢𝘭𝘰, + Image

ImageImageImageImageImage
ItsAsher0

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Mr. Taker » Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:01 pm

Exactly.
Mr. Taker

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rabbithaver » Sat Aug 05, 2023 4:33 am

Mr. Taker wrote:-snip-
^ Also HI FERNGOAT I love Metal Sonic too!
And absolutely adored Chaos Sonic in Sonic Prime, especially when we haven't had a talking metal sonic in ages! Loved his personality.

Chaos Sonic is honestly the highlight of Season 2 for me. Deven Mack's performance as Sonic has already been fantastic, but hearing him do Chaos Sonic was a religious experience lmao.

i love what he had to say on Twitter about the role. it sounds like he had an absolute blast recording these lines <3

call me rabbit || they/them
adult player || hedgehog enjoyer

Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image

my mom || my homie || my buddy
trade thread || dreamies || dragon cave
fursona || shadow playlist || sonic fans
rabbithaver

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Mr. Taker » Tue Aug 08, 2023 1:49 pm

Lmao the mentioning of that Brawl line instantly reminded of this video my old friend showed me back in primary school. It was a remix of different annoying phrases used in the series and that "you're too slow" was included. It was a horrible earworm and I can still hear it echoing in my head.

I think the character design too is a masterpiece regarding Chaos Sonic. I love how he looks more futuristic than other badniks and the animated eyes were a refreshing feature.
Mr. Taker

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rabbithaver » Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:39 am

Mr. Taker wrote:I think the character design too is a masterpiece regarding Chaos Sonic. I love how he looks more futuristic than other badniks and the animated eyes were a refreshing feature.

the animated eyes are peak character design. i keep going back and rewatching that episode specifically because watching Chaos Sonic is a total treat for the senses. his animations are still fluid, but there's also something just slightly robotic about the way he movies. i think my favorite example is that when Sonic runs, his feet blur, but Chaos Sonic's don't, and we hear every step.

i also have noticed that in the scenes where they're fighting, the music is equal parts techno and strings. Sonic's musical theme in Prime has consistently been strings and woodwinds -- organic instruments. Chaos Sonic? every time he's on screen, the music is almost dubstep. when Sonic is about to win with the bus, the woodwinds and strings take over the dubstep, but when Chaos Sonic comes back and is beating the crap out of Sonic, the music goes back to dubstep.

the fact that they even contrast these characters musically is part of why i adore this show so much.

call me rabbit || they/them
adult player || hedgehog enjoyer

Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image

my mom || my homie || my buddy
trade thread || dreamies || dragon cave
fursona || shadow playlist || sonic fans
rabbithaver

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ZeXaL » Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:02 am

A SONIC THREAD???? MY TIME HAS COME
I have literally been hyperfixating on Sonic since I was like. At least a small little toddler, this series has plagued my autism to the point of no return as my go-to comfort series.

I've been obsessed with the series for YEARS. Recently, my mom actually gifted me the first IDW collection, which comes with issues 1-12 of the IDW comics and I LOVE them so far. This funny little hedgehog has so much control over my life. Frontiers was easily my game of the year for 2022 and I've been obsessing over Sonic 3 AIR lately. Sonic Prime was also REALLY good, though I must say, it's personally really lackluster to me in the writing department? Like dialogue and everything is fine, but at the same time, Sonic has these weird "friends slow me down" type beats that throw me off and feel untrue to the character. Not Deven Mack's voice acting though, he does an AMAZING job as Sonic, I already loved his voice work as a huge fan of his role in Chris Niosi's TOME, but he's extremely faithful to the character and you can see his passion clear as day. At the very least, season 2 was a notable upgrade in writing with only a few moments I didn't really like. That whole thing with the actual writer saying "Sonic maybe hasn't appreciated his friends" though...That is a WILD statement about the character. At least Shadow was handled perfectly tho

I've heard a lot of people say Chaos Sonic was a bad Metal Sonic but honestly, I loved him!! He has a super 90s slapstick kind of vibe that honestly makes his bickering with Sonic super entertaining. Plus, he's a nice contrast to the normally VERY serious robot Sonic copies like Metal, Silver and Mecha Sonic. Chaos Sonic is a different take and I think he's just as valid as the other robot copies. Plus, I'm pretty sure the last time we had a talking robot Sonic was literally the first arc of the IDW comics which is honestly insane that even Metal Sonic hasn't had a proper speaking role in years.

x
x

𝓘'𝓜 𝓕𝓡𝓞𝓜 𝓣𝓗𝓔 𝓕𝓤𝓣𝓤𝓡𝓔!

Hi there, I'm Debby! The transfem that
the news warned you about and the punk
newbie around town! I'm a huge gamer,
weeb and writer as well as a punk enthusiast.
I also have an interest in computer science
and tech-related stuff! Hit me up sometime,
I don't mind making new friends. :3

xx.𝓓𝓞𝓝'𝓣 𝓨𝓞𝓤 𝓕𝓞𝓡𝓖𝓔𝓣 𝓘𝓣!
ZeXaL

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Mr. Taker » Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:15 am

HI ZeXal!
OMG yes Sonic has been my main special interest since 2011 and it brings me so much comfort so I can relate lmao. It literally rules my life and my whole identity kinda wraps around it at this point.

But at the same time I have to be kinda careful since I take it very seriously and I can't go consume Sonic media without being mentally prepared because it can also be very exhausting to me sometimes. I think this is because while it is a special interest, it's also a very big coping mechanism and the reason why I've created so strong connections to certain characters in the series is because of some bad childhood traumas. And Sonic Fronties ripped open those specific traumas! Thanks Sega.

I kinda find the whole "sonic needs to think about his friends" concept interesting. The point isn't that he doesn't care about his friends - OFC he does - But it's more about getting too used to them always being there to help him. I mean if I'd be in Sonic's role and I'd go saving the world like a thousand times and I'd have my friends every time to back me up... I'd probably eventually, over the course of the years, kinda forget that they have to be there for everything to go that smoothly. Sonic is a teenager and he has that "rushing into things" type of mentality. Saying he doesn't appreciate his friends sounds kinda bad, but it's not that he doesn't value them, it's more about getting too used to the pattern. LOL I'm not sure if I'm making any sense at all!

Also, I haven't heard anyone dissing Chaos Sonic, which is good because he is a 10/10. I agree completely!
I didn't even realize how much I missed a talking Metal Sonic, but in the other hand I'm not against the main series Metal Sonic going beep boop only. It's cute. :>
Mr. Taker

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ZeXaL » Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:23 pm

I fully understand taking Sonic media seriously, I take it way, WAY more seriously than I probably should but it's also been a huge source of comfort in my life...Plus, some of the main story themes and messages have really changed my worldview, something I think goes underappreciated in the fandom when talking about the stories. It's changed my life for the better and I think Sonic is an insanely good role model in the series.

I kinda find the whole "sonic needs to think about his friends" concept interesting. The point isn't that he doesn't care about his friends - OFC he does - But it's more about getting too used to them always being there to help him. I mean if I'd be in Sonic's role and I'd go saving the world like a thousand times and I'd have my friends every time to back me up... I'd probably eventually, over the course of the years, kinda forget that they have to be there for everything to go that smoothly. Sonic is a teenager and he has that "rushing into things" type of mentality. Saying he doesn't appreciate his friends sounds kinda bad, but it's not that he doesn't value them, it's more about getting too used to the pattern. LOL I'm not sure if I'm making any sense at all!

I think that makes sense!! I haven't particularly thought about it before, my main issue lies in minor dialogue scenes like "friends slow me down" type beats that feel really unfitting for the character. Personally, my only issue with it originates from the canonical status of the show, because if it was non-canon, I'd be happy with whatever we got :). Even then, I'm still happy with it, it's all minor stuff that bugs the inner obsessive fan in me, y'know? I think if Sonic was written more to reflect that instead, it'd honestly be more fitting. Sonic's a mature character, no doubt, we see in Black Knight and Frontiers that when he takes stuff seriously, he can be really mature about things. I think it'd be more interesting if the story followed something more correlated to how, in friend groups, we all need to support each other. Sonic supports his friends, he'd sacrifice anything for them, he'd save them at a moment's notice, but it'd be neat if the story went more in a direction of exploring how that affects him personally. I mean, he's a very mentally stable character, with his "free as the wind" mentality and how he's already accepted even the inevitable end of his own story.

Personally, I think of Sonic as a flat arc character, sort of like Goku. He doesn't necessarily have his own character arc, as flat characters already hold the "truth" (in a writing sense) and use that knowledge to help others. His character is designed to support others, but if the story wanted to give him his own character arc, I think it should've gone all out and explore how his nature of sacrificing himself for his friends at every turn affects him when he's not entirely sure WHAT to do in scenarios like the shatterverse. Sonic's cocky and he rushes ahead, primarily because his mentality is that he's as free as the wind. He does whatever he wants and if he decides his mind on something, he'll follow through on it. We see this in Black Knight, how he goes out of his way to help people even if it interrupts his journey and how he continues fighting Merlina even if he's at a disadvantage. Or how in Frontiers, where he kept moving forward even after taking in so much cyber-corruption because he wanted to save his friends and he was willing to sacrifice himself for that. Even at the end of the game, he's taken on the will of the Ancients in order to avenge them for what The End did to their home and their people. Sonic's a very inspiring character and I personally just wish Prime better reflected who he really is; a selfless hero who's spirit is as free as the wind, always willing to do anything to help other people simply for the sake of doing so. He's someone who never needs a reason to save or help someone, he'll just do it. :)

Also, I haven't heard anyone dissing Chaos Sonic, which is good because he is a 10/10. I agree completely!
I didn't even realize how much I missed a talking Metal Sonic, but in the other hand I'm not against the main series Metal Sonic going beep boop only. It's cute. :>

I browse Twitter a lot unfortunately and I saw a lot of discourse, even tho he's just a little baby guy :( He's literally SO fun on screen and, for me, was the highlight of season 2. He's just super fun and likable, idk how anyone could dislike him!!! I like when Metal Sonic talks too, but I'm also fine with him going beep and boop. I think when he does talk, it helps serve to enhance his whole character as a machine that, in a weird way, has created his own identity to center entirely around surpassing Sonic, no matter what.

x
x

𝓘'𝓜 𝓕𝓡𝓞𝓜 𝓣𝓗𝓔 𝓕𝓤𝓣𝓤𝓡𝓔!

Hi there, I'm Debby! The transfem that
the news warned you about and the punk
newbie around town! I'm a huge gamer,
weeb and writer as well as a punk enthusiast.
I also have an interest in computer science
and tech-related stuff! Hit me up sometime,
I don't mind making new friends. :3

xx.𝓓𝓞𝓝'𝓣 𝓨𝓞𝓤 𝓕𝓞𝓡𝓖𝓔𝓣 𝓘𝓣!
ZeXaL

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Mr. Taker » Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:23 am

You had a lot of good points there!

ZeXaL wrote:I think that makes sense!! I haven't particularly thought about it before, my main issue lies in minor dialogue scenes like "friends slow me down" type beats that feel really unfitting for the character. Personally, my only issue with it originates from the canonical status of the show, because if it was non-canon, I'd be happy with whatever we got :). Even then, I'm still happy with it, it's all minor stuff that bugs the inner obsessive fan in me, y'know?

Yeah, I understand. I don't personally see the main series and Prime being in the same canon. It's clear that they used the game world as a basis for the Prime canon but they're not necessarily still in the same universe. I kinda take this mentality almost always whenever they make these "spin-off" projects because it's a lot easier for me to accept the decisions they make regarding the characters and the stories. xD Same with Sonic Boom. I hated it a lot, but I was a lot more okay with it when I looked at it as a completely different universe. But's that's also why Amy mentioning Sticks at the very end of Frontiers pissed me off, because in my opinion you should never cross canons like that without any good reason lol.

ZeXaL wrote:I browse Twitter a lot unfortunately and I saw a lot of discourse, even tho he's just a little baby guy :(

Aww :( I don't use Twitter so that explains why I wasn't aware of this xD
Mr. Taker

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me