obscure cartoons/animation thread

Games, Movies, TV, YouTube, Books and Music - discuss it all here!

Re: obscure cartoons/animation thread

Postby Tin Soldier » Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:05 am

Is Homestar Runner considered obscure these days? That's wild. Seemed like it had such a grip on everybody for the longest time.

It doesn't seem like Motorcity has been mentioned here yet. It was canceled after only one 20-episode season, but featured flashy animation and some of my favorite character designs in a cartoon. While it wasn't perfect, I do think it deserved more than it received.

Stormhawks was one that got tuned into a lot growing up, too. Can't say too much is remembered about it, but it was fun, and not a lot of people seem to recall it when it's brought up.

he/him - plural
Tin Soldier

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MooMooCow22 » Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:12 am

Probably super niche but does anybody remember or has watched The Trap Door? It's quite an old British claymation series, I find it super nostalgic hehe and it's my fave thing to put on when it's a rainy 'spooky season' day <3

I think there are episodes uploaded on YouTube if anybody wanted to check it out:D
🐄HI <3 I love pokemon and all things nature!🐄

🍄Always looking to trade🍄

MooMooCow22

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BESM » Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:31 am

Not exactly a TV series but rather a '70s French animated film; I'm a very big fan of the work Fantastic Planet/La Planete Sauvage. Wondering if anyone here has seen it as well? Accompanied by a brilliant jazz score (which I can never get enough of), the world of the film has stuck with me ever since I first saw it. Incredibly immersive in its art and bizarreness.

As for an actual TV series, the most obscure I can think of at the moment is Robin, which was a Swedish adult animated sitcom from the '90s that I got obsessed over for some time. Never watched it in full, IIRC only until recently all episodes were unavailable via the internet.
Inactive for the most part.
BESM

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Tin Soldier » Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:41 am

wabot wrote:Not exactly a TV series but rather a '70s French animated film; I'm a very big fan of the work Fantastic Planet/La Planete Sauvage. Wondering if anyone here has seen it as well? Accompanied by a brilliant jazz score (which I can never get enough of), the world of the film has stuck with me ever since I first saw it. Incredibly immersive in its art and bizarreness.

As for an actual TV series, the most obscure I can think of at the moment is Robin, which was a Swedish adult animated sitcom from the '90s that I got obsessed over for some time. Never watched it in full, IIRC only until recently all episodes were unavailable via the internet.

Fantastic Planet is a one-of-a-kind work of art. I love the paper animation method it uses, and reading about the when, where, and why of its creation was interesting, as well.
he/him - plural
Tin Soldier

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lifora » Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:49 am

Tin Soldier wrote:Is Homestar Runner considered obscure these days? That's wild. Seemed like it had such a grip on everybody for the longest time.

It doesn't seem like Motorcity has been mentioned here yet. It was canceled after only one 20-episode season, but featured flashy animation and some of my favorite character designs in a cartoon. While it wasn't perfect, I do think it deserved more than it received.

Stormhawks was one that got tuned into a lot growing up, too. Can't say too much is remembered about it, but it was fun, and not a lot of people seem to recall it when it's brought up.

Stormhawks was my favorite for SOOOO long! That and Slugterra, which, I think Slugterra is not really obscure? I'm not sure. I don't remember much from Stormhawks but I do remember that I loved the show. I think it had fart jokes. I hate fart jokes.
I'm an artist.

When I order art, please message me when I ask you too! I do NOT always recheck forums as I am a busy person. There's a chance I won't have payment, I only keep payment when I know that a commission was accepted.
Lifora

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Tin Soldier » Sun Sep 17, 2023 7:04 am

Lifora wrote:Stormhawks was my favorite for SOOOO long! That and Slugterra, which, I think Slugterra is not really obscure? I'm not sure. I don't remember much from Stormhawks but I do remember that I loved the show. I think it had fart jokes. I hate fart jokes.

I'm not sure. I can't say I know of Slugterra, but it looks cute. I can definitely see the connection. I don't think there was much TV being watched in those years, so it's not surprising I wouldn't know about it either way.

I wouldn't be surprised if it had fart jokes, considering the time. I'm not a fan of them, either, or the grand majority of gross-out humor that was so prevalent in cartoons for the longest time. From what little I can retrieve from the Brainvaults though, other parts of it were pretty charming and nifty.
he/him - plural
Tin Soldier

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby lonedonut » Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:25 am

Tin Soldier wrote:Is Homestar Runner considered obscure these days? That's wild. Seemed like it had such a grip on everybody for the longest time.

abt homestar runner...i don't think it's *exactly* obscure, it's just got a loyal cult following. but anyone who hasn't browsed certain parts of the internet wouldn't get it
▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰

"But what did I expect? You're a stupid, stupid idiot gamer like the rest."
▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪
◖mint◗
◖she/they/any◗
◖current robot enthusiast◗
lonedonut

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby lonedonut » Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:54 am

bump

◖mint◗
◖she/they/any◗
lonedonut

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Mortuary » Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:02 am

The Little Flying Bears! Had it on VHS as a kid but it ended up getting chucked because of water damage:') I've been thinking about it for yearss trying to remember the title.. only found it again because I saw some account dedicated to obscure characters posted something about it. I have no clue if it's worth rewatching though
──────────────────────────────────────
Gabe he/him ♣ art amphipod fanclub ♠ Trades
──────────────────────────────────────
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxArt by Osamu Tezuka!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxImage
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx*splat*
Mortuary

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby lonedonut » Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:36 am

Mortuary wrote:The Little Flying Bears! Had it on VHS as a kid but it ended up getting chucked because of water damage:') I've been thinking about it for yearss trying to remember the title.. only found it again because I saw some account dedicated to obscure characters posted something about it. I have no clue if it's worth rewatching though

ohhh it looks interesting...reminds me of old sonic the hedgehog cartoons

◖mint◗
◖she/they/any◗
lonedonut

My pets
My items
My wishlist