Film Review & Discussion

Games, Movies, TV, YouTube, Books and Music - discuss it all here!

Re: Film Review & Discussion

Postby polerberr » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:34 pm

Schumacher Phantom of the Opera is my guilty pleasure. :oops: Just can't resist Gerard Butler.

My sister saw the stage production in London, where she bought a DVD of one of it's anniversary showings. So I've seen the stage production, but on a screen. I think it's pretty fantastic! The light crashing down from the ceiling is much more dramatic on stage than it could be in film, I think. The theater having a smaller stage to work with makes the big things feel a lot bigger, in a way. I imagine that the barricade in the stage version of Les Mis seems a lot more impressive than the barricade in the movie. I imagine that's because the smallness of the stage exaggerates big things.
polerberr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Nitro Indigo » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:45 pm

The thing about plays is that they're designed to require a lot of suspension of disbelief, with things such as only removing a few objects to mark a new location.

Also, I keep getting Captain Peregrin and Silverhart confused with each other. DX
Greetings, citizens of the internet! You can call me Nitro Indigo, and I want to be identified by what I do, not what I am. I like Pokémon, The Legend of Zelda, Klonoa, among other things. I also have a YouTube channel.
Nitro Indigo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Silverhart » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:45 am

I could see that Captain Peregrin - there isn't as much spectacle in modern musicals when compared to the old classics (I would argue there was sometimes more spectacle then story in some of them XD). But I guess people don't want those types of movies anymore. It also seems to me that, with the exception of Disney films (like 'Frozen' and 'Moana'), a lot of musicals recently have been stage-to-film adaptations, instead of being made directly for film. And a stage-production is somewhat limited in how much of a spectacle they can create. You could definitely tell in 'Into the Woods' for example that despite having the camera being a bit more free to move around, it was originally made for a much smaller stage, just with how everything was shot and staged. At least that's what I thought. XP

Speaking of stage-plays turned film, I finally got a chance to watch "Arsenic and Old Lace". It was so funny! XD I would recommend it to anyone who likes a bit of morbid humor in their old movies. It feels like it's been so long since I laughed out loud at a comedy movie.

I also started watching that new Tarzan movie "The Legend of Tarzan" - I am so lost with that. I'm pretty easy-going with 'Tarzan' movies (I've said it before and I'll say it again - every Tarzan movie is better then the original book). But what were they thinking with this movie? Has anyone else seen it? It feels like I missed out on a whole other movie - but it's not a sequel as far as I know. And Jane and Tarzan are so incredibly unlikable. Now again - I'm only about halfway through the film (maybe less? I'm not sure how long it is - feels like I've been watching for an hour or two), but already Tarzan has managed to mope around, kiss Jane, mope some more, probably kiss Jane again (sort of zoned out during the awkward kissing scenes), stare off into space, and say hi to some CGI lions.
EDIT: Finished watching it, and... yeah, it didn't improve. Had some really awful inappropriate-for-the-time-period jokes (I think they were jokes... bad sign when your audience doesn't know if it's a joke or not XD). Had a nice scene with elephants though - not that it went anywhere and we never saw the elephants again.

And do you Nitro Indigo? How funny! XD (I get people confused all the time honestly XP)
Silverhart

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby polerberr » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:28 am

Do we have anyone planning on watching the Oscars live?

I will be. It starts at 2.30 am where I live and I've been watching some of the nominated movies today with my sister. We've seen Hidden Figures, Arrival, and Hacksaw Ridge so far. Now we're going to watch Life, Animated. After that the awards will be about to begin... Which we may or may not be using as a drinking game.

I'll pop in here tomorrow or later to drop my reviews of those movies, but to give a brief opinion: Hidden Figures was nice and uplifting, but in my opinion not worthy of Best Picture. The other nominees seem bigger. Arrival was an incredible sci-fi film. I loved the concept and the execution. Hakcsaw Ridge is an incredible story, and I hope it goes down as a classic WWII movie. A bit cliché in the beginning, but you have to keep in mind that what happens in the peak of the movie is based on true events, so maybe cliché can't be avoided.
polerberr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Leopardnight » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:47 am

I'm going to be watching the Oscars live with my neighbor. I've seen a few of the movies nominated for Best Picture, including Lion, Arrival, La La Land and Hell or High Water. I regret to say I wasn't able to watch Hacksaw Ridge in time for the Oscars, but I've heard from more than one person that it was a really good film.

I'm not really sure which I want to win, but I wouldn't mind Arrival or Hell or High Water winning Best Picture.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Who is Mr. Robot? Who is Mr. Robot?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxx
mind awake
body asleep
mind awake
body asleep
mind awake
body asleep
mind awake
body asleep
mind awake

xxxxxxxx

Leopardnight

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby reservoirdogs » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:36 am

I didn't watch the Oscars live, but I'm super glad that Moonlight won Best Picture; I saw it in theaters and I loved it. I'm also glad Manchester by the Sea got the two awards it did! I thought that movie was one of the best that came out in 2016, I loved every second of it, the acting, the story, and the cinematography were all great! The only award I was kinda eh about was Emma Stone winning for Best Actress over Amy Adams; I like Arrival a lot more than I like La La Land, and thought that Amy Adams did such a fantastic job with it (not that La La Land or Emma Stone were bad, I just thought Arrival was better). But yeah, how do y'all feel about all the winners and everything that happened?
reservoirdogs

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Captain Peregrin » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:54 am

It seemed like a pretty good year for the Oscars! I watched the first two hours, and I was pleased to see how many of the winners were either first time nominees or first time winners. Not surprised at Zootopia, but I'm happy with Piper winning for animated short. Also Jungle Book totally earned that visual effects award ^.^

I also watched Arrival this week (not really in preparation for the Oscars, I just hadn't realized it was out yet xD). I really liked it! I was not disappointed with the way they explored language and its effect on people.
Captain Peregrin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Nitro Indigo » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:15 am

I'd never heard of Moonlight until today, and I watched the 2017 Oscars honest trailer. Maybe I wasn't paying attention?
Greetings, citizens of the internet! You can call me Nitro Indigo, and I want to be identified by what I do, not what I am. I like Pokémon, The Legend of Zelda, Klonoa, among other things. I also have a YouTube channel.
Nitro Indigo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Spock and Kirk » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:24 am

I am so disappointed that I missed the Oscars last night since I got called in last second to run auditions at work. I got live text feed from a friend though, and honestly I have never been more disappointed.
    I already can say that I do have a little bias on the topic of who won the Hairstyling and Makeup award but here we go. Alright, I am going to say this flatly, I haven't seen suicide Squad nor am I going to see it as I have no interest in such things. But I have seen my fair share of both trailers and photos of the effects and makeup. Compared to what they did for Star Trek Beyond, I personally feel that they didn't even come close.Just look at the Makeup they did for Jaylah, Or Krall for goodness sake. Its a pure masterpiece, and even the tattoos that they did on some of the characters in Suicide Squad is just no where near as impressive. I don't think that I have ever been this both confused and upset about who ended up getting the oscar.
    If someone has another take on this it would be cool to hear.Like I said, I do have a pretty biased perspective on the topic Did anyone think that the makeup art done on Suicide Squad was better than Star Trek Beyond?
{𝒦𝒾𝓇𝓀} ⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯

{ Sound designer | Screen Writer | Adult | Storyteller|Books
Funko pop enthusiast | Reading | Animal Lover | INTP }

Song | An awesome friend | Need help? | Pm me!
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯ {𝒮𝓅𝑜𝒸𝓀}
Spock and Kirk

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby polerberr » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:38 am

I'm glad that Jimmy didn't revolve the whole event around criticising Trump. I can appreciate the few jokes that were made here and there, but I find it incredibly annoying when the same jokes are made over and over.

So I didn't really get to see a lot of the nominated films this year, but I do have a few responses.

I agree that Suicide Squad winning that award was odd. I wasn't too impressed by it.

I'm glad Fantastic Beasts got recognition for it's costumes. It was a really lovely movie to look at.

Super super glad The Jungle Book got that special effects award! It is literally the best CGI out there right now, so there's no way anything else could have won, haha.

I think the live performances were all pretty good. Last year the singers were pretty terrible, but this year they all sounded great.

I'm a bit disappointed that La La Land got best song, since I thought the songs were pretty underwhelming. I'd have liked to see How Far I'll Go get it.

As for the movies that I saw:

Hidden Figures. I'm really glad this movie was made. I had never heard of those women until I saw this movie, and I'm glad that they've been represented in film and that their stories have been told. For a movie on it's own, I didn't find it to be particularily spectacular. It was well acted and well executed, but other than that I don't have much more to say about it.

Arrival. I love these sci fi movies that are going for a sort of "realistic" take, like Interstellar. They introduce extremely interesting concepts and execute them in a visually stunning way. They're not the same kind of fantasy that you see in Star Trek and Star Wars. These movies take place in our universe. They're "what if" scenarios. What if aliens landed on our earth? How would we communicate them? Why would they come here? Arrival offers a scenario that answers those questions. Like how Interstellar offers a scenario where the Earth suffers from dought and we turn to space travel to save humanity.

I love the design of the aliens in Arrival. It's always hard to design a believable but strange creature to represent alien life. Little green men are overdone now, so these squid-spider like beings were fascinating to look at. At first I thought the film wouldn't show us the aliens because it would make them less mysterious, but honestly the design was so effective that they only seemed more mysterious than if we hadn't been shown anything at all. That's my opinion, at least.

Also, I'm very happy that Arrival won best sound editing. There was one scene in particular, during a dream sequence, where I noticed just how freaking great the sound design in that film is.

As for Hacksaw Ridge, I would almost say that it's editing is on par with that of Saving Private Ryan. It was intense and engaging. I felt like I was there on the battlefield. The story itself is quite moving. The man who this movie is based on is such an incredible inspiration to staying true to your own beliefs. I can hardly believe it's based on a true story, and I'm glad it is. I'm sure this man had his bad sides which the movie didn't show, but his good side is just... incredible.

Life, Animated is a fascinating documentary about a boy with autism called Owen who, at the age of three, suddenly stopped communicating. Over time, he used Disney movies to relate to the world around him and used those movies as a communication tool. Now he's a 20-something young adult, living on his own, but he still needs a lot of guidance with responsibilities like having a job, paying bills, etc.

Honestly I found Owen such a charming guy. It's evident that even though he's held back by difficulties in communication, he loves being around people and interacting with people. Having a mental disorder doesn't make someone any less human, and this documentary is a great illustration of that.

So yeah, those are my opinions on the movies I saw.

Just a last quick word on the Oscars. It's funny, but the thing where candy dropped from the ceiling to the celebrities in the audience was just so ridiculous. Watching these insanely rich people get super excited about candy floating down from the sky, hahaha. I wanted to feel happy for them, but I can't because they can easily afford those candies even if they didn't manage to grab one. And it was super weird that Jimmy Simba'd that little kid. Why? It was funny, but just so weird. Ellen is still my favorite Oscars host.

What did you all think of the Best Film screw up? It's one thing to have that happen at all, but to have it happen to the biggest, main award of the whole ceremony, and to not have it corrected until the whole crew of La La Land are already up on the stage freaking out... Yikes.
polerberr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me