✰ Anime Discussion ✰

Games, Movies, TV, YouTube, Books and Music - discuss it all here!

Re: ✰ Anime ✰

Postby Griddle » Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:14 am

Hmm, think I'm gonna make a long post! :shock:

> What got you into watching anime?
    Pokemon!
> How long have you been watching anime?
    uhhhhh
> What are some of your favorite anime?
    Cowboy Bebop! It's been having something of a renaissance lately, due to the Netflix show, and I am over the moon about that! I still haven't seen the live-action, but I am interested in it! Kinda bummed it got cancelled before it really got out the door, though? The people behind it seemed really excited about it. I need to grab the soundtrack!

Wish Knockin' on Heaven's Door was uh, available at all. It doesn't appear to be streaming anywhere and the US releases are OOP. ):

I also love the works of Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli! I got Future Boy Conan and a collector's edition of Princess Mononoke for the holidays! (According to the booklet with it, they redubbed San's English VA? Replaced Claire Danes with Tara Strong? Or it was a typo?? I haven't actually watched it to find out yet.)

Satoshi Kon was amazing and his works are near and dear to my heart. Also really digging Mamoru Hosada so far! I haven't seen The Boy and the Beast yet, and I'm looking forward to Belle! (Not braving a theater in plague-times for it, though.)

The race scene in Mirai... I think about it a lot.

Uhm, besides that, it's a lil hard to pick like favorite series and stuff. I like Studio Bones a lot (although Vanitas was disappointing, and I dropped it) and 90's Sunrise. Samurai Champloo is by the same director as Bebop, has similar character vibes and amazing music. FLCL is something AMAZINGLY else (I do Not acknowledge the sequels).
> Do you also read Manga?
    Yes! Although I haven't been reading a lot of books or comics lately. I did receive the first volume of Beastars for Christmas! And I picked up JJK 0 while Christmas shopping, lol. (I haven't read either... yet.)

I also picked up Pluto for my bestie for their birthday last year (they are a fan of Tezuka, and Urasawa!) The volumes were so hard to find though that the last few wound up arriving in German. 😭 By serendipity I found the last few volumes in English(!!!) in a Books-a-Million, also while Christmas shopping, so the series is now complete. >:3c

Thinking about hunting down 20th Century Boys next... It looks like it was at least released recently in super-big versions.

Also thinking about picking up reading JJK in earnest, but I'm a little intimidated getting into a long-form shounen manga again, so I haven't dropped on a subscription yet.

Reading manga by a lesbian author actually helped me come to terms with my identity!
> Have you ever done any sort of cosplay?
    Nnnnope. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
> What’s your favorite genre of anime?
    I am going to be a little negative, because it's easier to list things I don't like, lol.

I got... worn out by centuries-long shounen series with tons of side characters. (Boruto's Dad and His Army of Frenemies, etc.) I am just Tired lol. I haven't been able to get into more recent popular series like BNHA because of it. I am not sure how hard Demon Slayer leans into this, I've been afraid to pick it up.

Queer-baiting instantly ages me 1,000 years, and I have very little tolerance for it, in or out of anime.

Also: high school. Anime, pls. Feed me something that is Not high school. I swear there are other... periods... in the human life. I think. It's hard to see through all the sailor fuku.

Despite this, I somehow managed to watch Jujutsu Kaisen last summer? And enjoyed it? The whole rival school tournament arch wore on me, though. I might be surviving through this series entirely because I HC* Megumi as trans, idk. Also, I would absolutely watch Anime Lord of the Rings.

*I honestly don't know if this is a headcanon at this point.
> Do you watch dubbed, subbed, or neither?
    W--... what is,,, neither

Uh aside, I usually try to watch new things subbed first! It takes more attention/energy for me to do that, though, so it's harder for me to pick up new things these days. Stuff I've already watched can be put on as background noise as either language track.

Some shows I prefer dubbed (Bebop), some I prefer subbed (Riza screaming in FMA does not kick me in the face quite as hard in English), others are pretty switchable!
> What are some good recommendations for those just starting out?
    That is such a question, though.

It like, entirely depends on people's individual tastes? Why are you here? Is it for the actual animation and art, story, participating in fandom...?

Some folks will totally be into the popular shounen stuff with all the characters you can get attached to! (That is Cool and more power to you!) Some people are looking for animation that is treated as a medium for all sorts or stories instead of being insta-designated as kid's stuff (although Western animation has been getting better about this.) Romance? Comedy? Action? Thriller? Curious about other cultures? There's... so much stuff.

I guess my advice would be to not miss out on older stuff that informs the newer, popular stuff. There's history, there! It's cool! And some pretty things to look at, too. (The new and popular things are good too though! Have fun!)

Okay, I filled out your questionnaire. When I found this thread, though, I was looking for an anime discussion thread! Are we allowed to discuss in this thread? 🥺 I say, not waiting for an answer before Starting Discussion--

Specifically, I saw Orbital Children mentioned in an article about Winter '22 season anime, with this trailer. I am so intrigued! I haven't seen Dennou Coil yet (stares at the BRD set on the coffee table in front of me) but I've heard good stuff. I watched a couple episodes when it was new and then it Became Apparent that it was going to break my heart and I couldn't continue it at the time, lol.

Are there any anime that you're just getting into, or that are coming up that you're excited about?
-
ImageImage
ImageImage
of course I have [NONE] hair and pronouns
queer • grown-up • est
ImageImageImage
🌲SIBLING ALERT!!🌲
Griddle

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby another eternity » Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:39 pm

Vulpix wrote:Okay, I filled out your questionnaire. When I found this thread, though, I was looking for an anime discussion thread! Are we allowed to discuss in this thread? 🥺 I say, not waiting for an answer before Starting Discussion--

Specifically, I saw Orbital Children mentioned in an article about Winter '22 season anime, with this trailer. I am so intrigued! I haven't seen Dennou Coil yet (stares at the BRD set on the coffee table in front of me) but I've heard good stuff. I watched a couple episodes when it was new and then it Became Apparent that it was going to break my heart and I couldn't continue it at the time, lol.

Are there any anime that you're just getting into, or that are coming up that you're excited about?

i feel like discussion would be allowed? surely? hopefully bc ooohh oh that trailer looks beautiful;
the final line being "have we been helpful to everyone" is so hard hitting too after that like. uh oh!
the story evverrr so slightly reminds me of a book i got awhile back too

i've been out the anime scene for so long but recently getting back in, i know vanitas no carte is getting a season two this month i think? which is so exciting ngl (absolutely no hate, i feel like animes like that are a veryy acquired taste ghghgh, it's very...kuroshitsuji-y imo and that possessed me in 2009 so. truly. the curse never ends). and i wanna say sk8 the infinity got renewed for a season or they had a project in the works..? i think belle either just got an eng sub or dub or smth recently too so i have my eyes on that bc i saw the trailer ages ago before it had english anything so i was just vibing with it, and im curious to see what its like when i can read whats going on bc it looks wonderful
hiii, im not around all the time,
but i try to hop on for monthly drops and events.
im chronically ill, so i may not seem all there, but i dont bite! hard.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

another eternity

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Griddle » Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:38 pm

another eternity wrote:
i feel like discussion would be allowed? surely? hopefully bc ooohh oh that trailer looks beautiful;
the final line being "have we been helpful to everyone" is so hard hitting too after that like. uh oh!
the story evverrr so slightly reminds me of a book i got awhile back too

Right?? The jump from kids in space camp having fun to "btw 40% of the population needs 2 go" gave me whiplash. What will happen!? The designs look so nice, too (big fan of the designer's work on Eureka Seven)!

A book, you say? 👀

another eternity wrote:
(absolutely no hate, i feel like animes like that are a veryy acquired taste ghghgh, it's very...kuroshitsuji-y imo and that possessed me in 2009 so. truly. the curse never ends).

I... am not sure what you mean by this? lol. To be fair I completely missed Black Butler so I don't know much about it except that I see the characters floating around in profiles and fanart on occasion!

I was originally pretty excited about the Vanitas no Carte anime! I haven't read the manga, but my roommate is buddies with someone who is a fan of it. It's beautiful! And I am such a fan of the whole Princess Mononoke two-page spread from a few chapters ago, lol.

I went into it knowing Noe is a ✨treasure✨ and Vanitas is a brat, but it was the treatment of the ladies that really turned me off the anime. It's my understanding it's less gross in the manga...? Idk. I might try reading the manga at some point but my attention/energy is limited and I have other stuff that's higher priority.

I hope the second season is excellent for you!!!

(Also, the OP slaps, and I stalked the internets until they released the full version. It now permanently lives on my playlist.)

another eternity wrote:
and i wanna say sk8 the infinity got renewed for a season or they had a project in the works..? i think belle either just got an eng sub or dub or smth recently too so i have my eyes on that bc i saw the trailer ages ago before it had english anything so i was just vibing with it, and im curious to see what its like when i can read whats going on bc it looks wonderful

Aaa, I've heard good things about sk8! 👀 I don't know a lot about it BUT good people whose tastes I trust have had high opinions! It's on the watchlist along with half of... everything.

And yeah! Belle's getting a US release in theaters with gkids! I look forward to seeing it but I'm not going to a theater anytime soon (devastated the second Spiderverse movie's going exclusively to theaters. 😔) I'll wait for a streaming/disc release! I don't know a lot of details, but it kinda sounds like a cross between a Beauty and the Beast story and Summer Wars.

Also, to steal from an earlier post...

another eternity wrote:speaking of manga if you like ghibli, witch hat atelier. trust me.

I have heard such good things! 👀 (Actually, Vanitas buddy is also a Witch Hat buddy!) I picked up the first couple volumes during a comic store run a few months ago but haven't read them yet... Story of my life. The art is so lovely and the characters all look so cute! 💖

Also intrigued by the author's Eniale & Dewiela. Lesbian Anime Good Omens? 🤔
-
ImageImage
ImageImage
of course I have [NONE] hair and pronouns
queer • grown-up • est
ImageImageImage
🌲SIBLING ALERT!!🌲
Griddle

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby another eternity » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:59 pm

i feel like doing so many quotes in one post will kill CS so im gonna juusttt
- 40 percent is like. insane man like Helloo,,shakes this anime like a vending machine. i cannootttt remember the book for the life of me (too sweeby to move rn) but it was basically these kids who were raised on a satellite and having to go down to earth bc some kind of crisis? which the only similarities are,,,kids in space and trauma but yknow! ghgg

- OH i mean like.. there's a certain like. vibe? they both go for and thats what i thought you meant rather than the treatment of women but there does seem to be a thing with like. animes being more -gestures- ew towards women and mangas being better bc i've heard black butler handles its women and girls waaaayyy better in the manga as well? like uwu romance sniveling child (which she is literally like. 12. but also they do her nooo favours with having these as traits and they tend to just make her,,,annoying? rather than sympathetic which is depressing ) vs literally will sword fight you, character growth and development actually Happening rather than uh oh we gotta save her <3 but also BB just,,isnt the best with characters that arent white dudes as a whole HFHJGJNG it's more of a nostalgia thing for me so seeing the actual Feeling and aesthetics and iirc even some humor of it being almost reincarnated with VNC was like. oh my god 2011,,,, ty!! i hope it's good too ;;-;;
the OP is SOOO good; it's funny actually, i recognized the band name and turns out they did a vocaloid cover i had saved from way back

- sk8 is super fun ngl, though it falls back on the theme of like. gestures. where's the girliesss wheres the wommeeennn theres only moms HJFJGHJGKN. the characters they have are??? really fleshed out though and i love the route it takes with reki's depression and langa and all that. also the villain is just,,,fun? unhinged but fun mood. mood. i should actually make a proper list instead of keeping the tabs to the animes up

- literally what is up with companies and like, exclusive to theatres stuff uuggghghh. it looks gorgeouuss tho, and the voice acting is lovely ;;-;; i wonder how they're gonna handle the route of like, him doing stuff to make ppl hate him (troll?) bc i've seen a couple films from this studio and they like to make you Hurt so im like. huh what backstory is this guy gonna have

- it's such a...hooooooo boy WHA really balances its beauty and its societal stuff and all the backstories and traumas and hardships SO well. like, what realllyyy gets me is that the series itself kinda has disability as a core theme, and i love how they focus on not ~fixing~ the people but rather fixing the world they're in that's so hostile to them. also certain spoilers make it intriguing on how they'll go further and i hope they keep the theme of disabled ppl needing accommodations and not necessarily some miracle cure. i actually haven't looked at all of shirahama's stuff but ohhh?? oohhhh i am looking now eyes emoji it seems SO cute
hiii, im not around all the time,
but i try to hop on for monthly drops and events.
im chronically ill, so i may not seem all there, but i dont bite! hard.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

another eternity

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: ✰ Anime Discussion ✰

Postby Johto » Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:26 am

> What got you into watching anime? I honestly can't remember exactly what got me into it, but during my childhood I fell in love with Digimon and Pokemon
> How long have you been watching anime? Since I was a little girl
> What are some of your favorite anime? Wolf's Rain, Cardcaptor Sakura, Studio Ghibli films. There's so many to list
> Do you also read Manga? Yes! Not super often, though. I want to get into it more
> Have you ever done any sort of cosplay? Yes, but only video game cosplays
> What’s your favorite genre of anime? Magical Girl and Shonen
> Do you watch dubbed, subbed, or neither? Both, it depends on what I have access to, and if I genuinely like the dub or not
> What are some good recommendations for those just starting out? I don't know, I feel like Ghibli movies would be a great place to start out, seeing as they're very famous, and not series

I just started watching Naruto for the first time, and it's super inspiring for my own stories.
Anna | She/her | Nonbinary
Fictional middle aged
man Enthusiast | I love
Zelda, Pokemon, Sonic,
FFXIV, No More Heroes,
MGR, Okami and Devil May Cry

I love animals in general, I
think marine life is really cool

Fandoms on my Carrd
Carrd | Toyhouse | Click if you dare
Funny video that I change sometimes

(I go by TwilightBard on most platforms)
Johto

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Stormfalll » Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:36 am

I used to watch Pokémon every morning having breakfast before school when I was a kid. And my sister was into a lot of animes so it was kinda natural :D
For a loong long time
My favorites are Naruto, Pokémon, Asasination Classroom and Tokyo revengers
I have some! But I’ve always watched the episodes first so I’m not that into it.
Once we went to a convention and they offered discounts if you went fessed up. So I went dressed as an eevee! Just a hat and a brown shirt tho :D
I like fantasy adventure I guess?
I prefer subbed but I’m okay with Spanish or English too!

My recommendations are Naruto and Pokémon (especially xyz)

Stormfalll

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Foxfire2468 » Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:43 pm

What got you into watching anime?
My family actually! A lot of Ghibli when I started out haha.

How long have you been watching anime?
I actually have been watching anime since I was suuuuuuuuuuper little. I've pretty much been watching since I can remember o//o

What are some of your favorite anime?
Oooh good question! A few ones I like are My Hero Academia, Komi Can't Communicate, Sailor Moon, Madoka Magica, Tokyo Mew Mew, Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai, Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni, any Ghibli Movie, A Silent Voice, and Lucky Star!

Do you also read Manga?
Yea!! Currently reading Boys Run the Riot, and the MHA manga. Also was caught up on PPPPPP but I fell behind lol.

Have you ever done any sort of cosplay?
Yea!! I haven't posted anything in a looooooooong time, but I love to cosplay!

What’s your favorite genre of anime?
I don't really have one specific favorite honestly! I guess I rlly like the horror and magical girl genre!! >//<

Do you watch dubbed, subbed, or neither?
Prolly gonna get burned at the stake for this one but it really depends. I love the dub for MHA, but I only watch Bunny Girl Senpai, Komi Can't Communicate, and Higurashi subbed. It probably doesn't help that I draw while I watch lol.

What are some good recommendations for those just starting out?
Komi Can't Communicate and Words Bubble Up Like Soda Pop are good starters for people who like cute slice of life stuff that can also be funny, but I recommend Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood if you like the more fighting and adventure stuff.
This is under revision, but all info is accurate!!

Swamp, he/they. Tired and bi lol. Here for a good time, not a long time uwu. Shoot me a dm if you feel, might not respond quickly tho lol. Interests: MLP, My Hero Academia, TLoZ (Esp Breath of the Wild plz try to keep ToTK spoilers down if talking about it to me directly!), YouTube, art.
DM me whenever you want! I like talking to people!!
_________________________________________________________________________________________
Foxfire2468

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Wogg » Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:27 am

> What got you into watching anime? A watched a lot of Pokemon on TV as a kid, as well as Naruto. My sister would also show me anime on her laptop like Sgt Frog, Lucky Star, and Ouran High School Host Club. I also remember watching Kirby Right Back at Ya but I don't know where I watched it from. Another thing I watched as a kid was a VHS tape of Cardcaptor Sakura which I watched several times at my Grandma's house and I would watch the Pokemon movies a lot too.

> How long have you been watching anime? Don't know

> What are some of your favorite anime? Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Mob Psycho 100, Jujutsu Kaisen, Bungou Stray Dogs, Hunter x Hunter, Attack on Titan, Death Note, Made in Abyss, Cells at Work, Tower of God(from a webtoon so technically korean)

> Do you also read Manga? Yes, as well as light novels

> Have you ever done any sort of cosplay? No

> What’s your favorite genre of anime? Adventure, Supernatural

> Do you watch dubbed, subbed, or neither? Whichever

> What are some good recommendations for those just starting out? Maybe Death Note, Cowboy Bebop, Stein's Gate, Mushi-shi or Lucky Star for different genres. Anything from Junji Ito obviously if you like horror, Higurashi When They Cry is also pretty messed up
Wogg

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Anasui » Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:05 am

I genuinely do not remember how I got into it

I'm sure exactly how long, but I'd say it's been at least 10 years

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. I had kind of stopped watching anime for a while, but I'd watched FMA 2003 back in the day and I decided to watch this one to see how different it was. I not only loved it, but it also got me back into watching anime, which I am glad for.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. I only finally decided to watch it back in December after thinking about a long while and I honestly didn't expect to like it as much as I do now. I am truly obsessed with JoJo and I am so glad I finally decided to watch it. I honestly wish I could forget everything about it just so I could watch the whole thing again for the first time.

Kirby Right Back at Ya. I can't say it's like, the best, most amazing anime ever or anything, but it is a lot of fun and I love Kirby, so I always find myself going back to watch it again. And I love Meta Knight having a Spanish accent lol.

Sometimes, but I really don't do it often.

I've only cosplayed once in my life and it wasn't even an anime cosplay (it was Frisk from Undertale). I would love to cosplay, but I don't live in a place where there's conventions or anything like that, so I wouldn't really have an occasion to wear my cosplays. It's sad, really.

Shonen, but I'm willing to try almost anything.

Depends on the anime. I mostly watch subbed, but there's a few I've watched dubbed instead, like FMAB. And for some reason, I watched Death Note with the French dub. I usually tend to avoid French dubs like the plague because I find that they usually sound like garbage, but I don't know, I like French Death Note.

I'd say Death Note is easy to get into even for people who don't usually watch aime. Even my parents have watched Death Note and they both liked it.
Certified simp for Jojo characters

Maru
-She/they
-Adult
-Bisexual
-I love anime, video games,
fanfics and birbs
-Would love if it you clicked my mons! :3

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Anasui

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby FunFace » Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:20 am

My sister! The first anime I ever watched was the og Fruits Basket, but the anime that really got me into it was Fairy Tail (looking back I was like 8, probably shouldnt have watched it lol.)
Since I was 8
Some of my favorites would be
-No.6
- Fist of the North Star
-Banana Fish
-Mo Dao Zu Shi (technically a Donghua)
-Saiki K
-Haikyuu
- Yup! And Manhua
I have! Nothing super serious from any anime though. The one convention I've been to I cosplayer but it was a Dimension 20 character.
This really depends on my mood to be honest. I typically end up watching anime that have some sort of romance aspect to it, but not necessarily a romance centric anime. I like dramas and romance though and fantasy can be really good if it's done well.
Almost exclusively subbed
For starting out, a good slice of life is Saiki K. It's very funny and doesnt really have a plot until you watch Saiki K Reawakened. Good romances to start off with would be Kamisama kiss, Monthly Girls, Your lie in April (sad tho), or Given (also sad). Haikyuu is a good starter anime and has many shipping opportunities.

please oh please click my eggs
Image Image Image Image
FunFace

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me