Film Review & Discussion

Games, Movies, TV, YouTube, Books and Music - discuss it all here!

Re: Film Review & Discussion

Postby durden. » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:58 pm

ahh im glad i found this thread, i’ve been looking for one like it ! hope it’s not too dead :0??

Favorite Movie(s) and Why
ooh, it’s so difficult for me to choose, but my top four in my letterboxd rn are barton fink, once upon a time in hollywood, reservoir dogs, and there will be blood. i’ve only seen barton fink once but the way that it perfectly represents my fears about going to work in the entertainment industry stuck with me. also, i really admire the coens’ versatility. there is such a stark difference between barton fink & raising arizona but both are done so well! ouatih & res dogs are two of my comfort movies and i usually have em on in the background while on work on homework. i love the production design in ouatih and it kind of gave me an idea of what i want to do when im older hehe. & res dogs is just fun to watch. there will be blood has two of my favorite performances i’ve ever seen; daniel day-lewis is incredible and paul dano gave a stellar performance considering how young he was.

Least Favorite Movie(s) and Why
i felt that the hateful eight was far too long, although the ending kind of made up for it. it was also a bit dialogue-heavy for me. i tend to get distracted/zone out so i need some action to keep my attention.

Favorite Director(s)
the coen brothers, quentin tarantino, and wes anderson,,, maybe stanley kubrick, too (dr strangelove was soo good, i need to watch more of his filmography)

Favorite Actor(s)
in no particular order: john turturro, owen wilson, paul dano, jake gyllenhaal, christian bale, brad pitt, leonardo dicaprio, jason schwartzman, luke wilson
Last edited by durden. on Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
durden.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby 04891 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:26 pm

texas chainsaw, akira, godzilla vs hedorah
    kinda offtopic but my favourite genre is monster movies! theres so much fun

idk i just never liked any a24 film they just feel so boring

Favorite Director(s)
    shusuke kaneko, tobe hooper, dario argento

Favorite Actor(s)
    idk if i have one but ive always had a crush on anne hathaway

Any Film Critics you follow?
    i dont rlly follow any lol

anyways if yall would like to follow my letterboxd just search up 04891s!

Val - Any - Adult
----------
Full Time Wizard
Kirby + Digimon Fan
Not That Active On Here

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Flynnian » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:14 pm

It's Such A Beautiful Day: Quite literally shaped my life as it is.
E.T.: Pure nostalgia, I cry every time I watch it, and have slept with an E.T. plushie since I was 6.
The Emperor's New Groove: Always cheers me up when everything is going bad.
Zoolander: Mind-numbing nonsense for the soul.
Freddy VS Jason: One of my favorite Freddy Krueger charaterizations, ridiculous, the most c r i s p camera quality.

Last Christmas: Made me crave death
Midsommar/Hereditary: I find it extremely tacky when mental illness/deformities are used for scare value in modern horror movies. Keep Aster ALL the way away from me.
Love (Gaspar Noe): Like... I get it, but I still hate it (If there r any youths reading this Do Not watch it xx). That lead character was a rage-inducing, terrible, horrible, no good, very bad person and I just couldn't stand looking at him.
Gloria Bell: It was so painfully boring. Nice overall message, but I nearly decided to leave the theater, and I never do that. Ever.

Favorite Director(s)

Don Hertzfeldt, Mike Flanagan, Tom McGrath, Leigh Whannel, Paul Feig, Panos Cosmatos, and uhh Richard Stanley!

Favorite Actor(s)

Robert Englund, Ben Stiller, Will Ferrell, Steve Carell, Eddie Murphy, Jim Carrey, Leslie Jones, Will Arnett, Seth Rogen, and uhh.. Winona Mae.

A few but I don't know them by name.
Flynnian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby fali. » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:11 am

wolf children: this has been a favourite since i was a young teen. it's such a feel-good film, and the ending makes me smile. watching the children grow up and find their own paths is fascinating.

a nightmare on elm street [1984]: a classic of the slasher genre. freddy kruger is such a unique slasher villain with an established personality by the end of the franchise--and this was the film that started it all. have watched it many times before and will continue to do so.

i know what you did last summer: more of a guilty pleasure obsession. i'm a big fan of the characterisation of the main characters as they try to figure out this mystery of who could know about their crime. julie james deserves more love.

pom poko: this one made me cackle. and i'm a sucker for animal-based films.

texas chainsaw massacre: it's not bad ofc, it just wasn't my thing. made me physically uncomfortable and not in the fun way i usually enjoy in horror.

a nightmare on elm street 4 + 5: i'm gonna group these two together. i am a massive fan of the nightmare on elm street franchise as a whole, but i find these two films borderline insufferable. i didn't find them funny enough to hold the franchise up in this new direction, it felt it strayed very far from the source material but not in a 'so bad it's good' enough way imo.

Favorite Director(s)
    dario argento ; steven spielberg ; christopher landon

Favorite Actor(s)
    samara weaving ; sarah michelle gellar ; anna kendrick ; jessica rothe ; diane guerrero

not yet on places like letterboxd, but i plan on following a few in the future! however, i do watch video essays by ryan hollinger and schaffrillas productions on youtube!
→ fali

→ adult

my sweet ♡

letterboxd

writing storage

horror fanclub

→ female ; she/her - they/them
——————————————————————
we used to be a lot of things
fali.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Flynnian » Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:31 pm

fali. wrote:
    wolf children: this has been a favourite since i was a young teen. it's such a feel-good film, and the ending makes me smile. watching the children grow up and find their own paths is fascinating.

a nightmare on elm street [1984]: a classic of the slasher genre. freddy kruger is such a unique slasher villain with an established personality by the end of the franchise--and this was the film that started it all. have watched it many times before and will continue to do so.

i know what you did last summer: more of a guilty pleasure obsession. i'm a big fan of the characterisation of the main characters as they try to figure out this mystery of who could know about their crime. julie james deserves more love.

pom poko: this one made me cackle. and i'm a sucker for animal-based films.

texas chainsaw massacre: it's not bad ofc, it just wasn't my thing. made me physically uncomfortable and not in the fun way i usually enjoy in horror.

a nightmare on elm street 4 + 5: i'm gonna group these two together. i am a massive fan of the nightmare on elm street franchise as a whole, but i find these two films borderline insufferable. i didn't find them funny enough to hold the franchise up in this new direction, it felt it strayed very far from the source material but not in a 'so bad it's good' enough way imo.

Favorite Director(s)
    dario argento ; steven spielberg ; christopher landon

Favorite Actor(s)
    samara weaving ; sarah michelle gellar ; anna kendrick ; jessica rothe ; diane guerrero

not yet on places like letterboxd, but i plan on following a few in the future! however, i do watch video essays by ryan hollinger and schaffrillas productions on youtube!

I see Nightmare 6 in your sig! That one's my second favorite next to VS :lol:
Flynnian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby fali. » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:42 pm

Flynnian wrote:I see Nightmare 6 in your sig! That one's my second favorite next to VS :lol:

yeah! nightmare 6 is my third favourite (next to the original + nightmare 3)—to me, it’s so bad it’s brilliant, it made me laugh so much i had to include it in my sig. very glad to find another fan of it!
→ fali

→ adult

my sweet ♡

letterboxd

writing storage

horror fanclub

——————————————————————
fali.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Flynnian » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:13 am

fali. wrote:
Flynnian wrote:I see Nightmare 6 in your sig! That one's my second favorite next to VS :lol:

yeah! nightmare 6 is my third favourite (next to the original + nightmare 3)—to me, it’s so bad it’s brilliant, it made me laugh so much i had to include it in my sig. very glad to find another fan of it!

Hehe same here!! I always have the most fun with movies that really embrace how silly they are. You can always tell when fun is an aspect that's really valued in the making of a movie.
Flynnian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby fali. » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:56 am

Flynnian wrote:Hehe same here!! I always have the most fun with movies that really embrace how silly they are. You can always tell when fun is an aspect that's really valued in the making of a movie.

yeah!! i find that films that are wacky but are having fun with how terrible they are tend to be more fun than films that try to be serious but fail! while they may not be good, there's something to talk about with them (like how on earth certain elements were decided--like freddy's wizard of oz reference, what the heck was with that). i really like to see it!
→ fali

→ adult

my sweet ♡

letterboxd

writing storage

horror fanclub

——————————————————————
fali.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Flynnian » Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:48 pm

fali. wrote:
Flynnian wrote:Hehe same here!! I always have the most fun with movies that really embrace how silly they are. You can always tell when fun is an aspect that's really valued in the making of a movie.

yeah!! i find that films that are wacky but are having fun with how terrible they are tend to be more fun than films that try to be serious but fail! while they may not be good, there's something to talk about with them (like how on earth certain elements were decided--like freddy's wizard of oz reference, what the heck was with that). i really like to see it!

Yeah definitely :3 It's great when filmmakers set out to just have a good time.
Flynnian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Клетка » Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:54 pm

bump
Клетка