Film Review & Discussion

Games, Movies, TV, YouTube, Books and Music - discuss it all here!

Re: Film Review & Discussion

Postby Captain Peregrin » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:14 pm

Keep forgetting that I saw Lion, which kind of tells you how I felt about it. It has some nice cinematography, but I feel like I'll forget I ever saw it in a year or two. I watched it with my mom, and she was really moved by it - I feel like it's a good movie for people totally unaware of the plight of third world orphans or whatever, but after reading The Kite Runner no PG-13 movie on the subject will really shock or surprise me.
Captain Peregrin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby polerberr » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:31 pm

For anyone whose interested in keeping up with Jon Favreau's Lion King remake, the confirmed cast members so far are:

Donald Glover as Simba

James Earl Jones as Mufasa (the original voice of Mufasa!)

John Oliver as Zazu

Seth Rogen as Pumbaa

Billy Eichner as Timon

I like the cast so far. I'm really interested in who is going to be cast as Scar. Still hoping Lupita gets cast as Nala.
polerberr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby horchata » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:14 am

^ i'm interested in the lion king remake and i think most of the voice actors are really fitting!! even though it wouldnt be "live cation" per se since there are no human characters, so more like photorealistic??

(woah there hasn't been a post in ages)

i haven't seen any movies in theatres for ages so i don't really have anything to review but i was wondering what you guys would recommend i put on my 'to watch list'? (or what your favourite movies are) i love movies in general but i only recently reallyyy started getting in to them and i know there are heaps of amazing ones i haven't seen, so i'm happy to watch pretty much any suggestions!! i'm just asking here instead of looking at like... a top 100 film list or whatever bc i know there are heaps of amazing underrated movies and i don't reallyyy have a genre (basically any movies that are really well-made lmao) but i'm not so good with horror
a gardener told me some plants move
───────
libra - hufflepuff - infp
forum game!

───────
but i could not believe it

horchata

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby arabella !! » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:08 am

The new spiderman move was fantastic holy

hii ! call me ara :3 i luv
all things cute n insane
└───── ♥ ♡ ♥ ─────┘
▀▀▀▀▀ミ★ ▀▀▀▀▀
she/her gamer adult silly
────────────────────

arabella !!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Captain Peregrin » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:49 am

acaycia wrote:
    ^ i'm interested in the lion king remake and i think most of the voice actors are really fitting!! even though it wouldnt be "live cation" per se since there are no human characters, so more like photorealistic??

i haven't seen any movies in theatres for ages so i don't really have anything to review but i was wondering what you guys would recommend i put on my 'to watch list'? (or what your favourite movies are) i love movies in general but i only recently reallyyy started getting in to them and i know there are heaps of amazing ones i haven't seen, so i'm happy to watch pretty much any suggestions!! i'm just asking here instead of looking at like... a top 100 film list or whatever bc i know there are heaps of amazing underrated movies and i don't reallyyy have a genre (basically any movies that are really well-made lmao) but i'm not so good with horror

Well, my area of expertise is animated films, so I'll just give a few lesser known animated films (although it would be helpful to hear your current favorites):

Princess Mononoke: My personal favorite Miyazaki movie - it's just gorgeous! But unfortunately, it's one of his least well-known, probably because of the PG-13, and also it came out before he made a name for himself with Spirited Away.
The Secret of NIMH: I'm not a huge Don Bluth fan, but this is without a doubt his masterpiece. It was made before the "Disney formula" was a thing, which makes it really stand out in a good way.

And that's all I can think of right now xD

On a totally different note, West Side Story was on TV recently, and I think it's my favorite Sondheim musical. I didn't really sit down and watch it until the last hour or so, but I could hear all the music. He did a great job breathing life into the story of Romeo and Juliet and making it relevant to modern audiences (and the catchy music sure don't hurt). Into the Woods is interesting and all, but there are so many other stories that have explored the same themes better since then, and the music isn't terribly memorable on its own. As much as some people love Sweeny Todd, I highly doubt I'll ever watch it. Everything I've heard of it screams THIS WILL MAKE ME PHYSICALLY ILL.
Captain Peregrin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby polerberr » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:05 am

acaycia wrote:

I know you said you came here instead of looking at a list, but since you mention it, I do want to recommend the IMDb Top 250. It's a really solid list. I'd call pretty much every movie on there a must-see. Most of my favorites are on it.

As for movies I'd recommend personally, it's difficult to say when you don't have a specific genre you like in particular, so I'll give a few small lists.

I have a few thrillers that are based on true stories that I really like:
Captain Phillips
Argo
Bridge of Spies
Room (not to be confused with The Room, infamous for being really bad)
Edit: I don't think Room is based on a specific event, actually. It's definitely happened before though.

Some fictional drama comedies:
Little Miss Sunshine
The Way Way Back

Based on true story dramas:
Philomena
Intouchabes - French film, seriously great

Other stuff:
Little Shop of Horrors - A musical about a plant.
Clue - A comedy based on the board game Cluedo.
The Mummy - This is the one with Brendan Fraser. I used to be obsessed with this movie.

70s/80s movies that are pretty well known but you should still see anyway:
Jaws
Silence of the Lambs
Back to the Future - All three
Raiders of the Lost Ark - Also all three
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
First Blood
Jurassic Park

Movies notorious for being really bad:
The Room
Troll 2
Birdemic: Shock and Terror
Sharknado - Though to be fair, this movie is intentionally bad

Directors with a specifc style or taste you could look into:

Wes Anderson - Most famous for The Grand Budapest Hotel. He has a very specific type of cinematography that you don't see anywhere else.
Christopher Nolan - Known for making intense movies that mess with your mind, like Memento, Interstellar, and The Prestige.
Quentin Tarantino - Violent and a lot of swearing, but usually also funny. Most famous for Pulp Fiction.
Sergio Leone - The most famous Spaghetti Westerns. Italian made westerns. Don't knock it till you've tried it?
Tim Burton - Dark humor, but generally in a more quirky than violent way. Known for Nightmare Before Christmas, Sweeney Todd, Corpse Bride, etc.

Also if you like clay animations, check out Laika studios. Their latest film was Kubo and the Two Strings.
Last edited by polerberr on Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
polerberr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby holmes221B » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:47 am

Woah, I almost forgot about the movie Clue. That movie was really good, so I also recommend that movie to you @acaycia. The Indiana Jones movies are also really good, but sadly, I only fully watched the first two. I would recommend some others:

• The Hobbit
  • The Lord of the Rings
  • Kingsglaive Final Fantasy XV (prologue to Final Fantasy XV)
  • Pirates of the Caribbean
  • Beauty and the Beast (the new one was good)
  • Beverly Hills Cop (1, 2, and 3)
  • Many others that I can't think of right now

@acaycia
    You probably already saw most of these, though,
    but I hope I helped! c:

"Sherlock Holmes. Surely you've heard of me?"

xxImage
Imagexx
- Sherlock Holmes
(Dai Gyakuten Saiban)

holmes221B

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Salsaverde » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:37 pm

I'll add a few of my own favorites:

Alien/Aliens - imo, the first two are the only worth watching
    The Terminator/Judgment Day
    Casablanca, The African Queen, Treasure of the Sierra Madre, The Maltese Falcon - my favorite of Bogart
    A Streetcar Named Desire
    Star Wars IV-VI - if you haven't seen them (I know a few people who haven't... shocking I know)

Must-see War/Holocaust films:

All Quiet on the Western Front (1930)
    Saving Private Ryan
    Schindler's List
    Der Untergang (Downfall)
    The Pianist
    Grave of the Fireflies

I think quite a few of those are in the IMDB Top 100 but I can't stress enough how amazing each and every one of them are.

⌜ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ⌝
[female] - [video games] - [film student]
[science fiction] - [history buff]
[cephalopods] - [Christian] - [dare to play]

⌞ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ⌟

ImageImageImageImageImage

Katrina wrote:"May happiness find you and yours...
and remember that bad times
are just times that are bad."

in space no one can hear
‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ you scream ‍. . .
Salsaverde

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby horchata » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:07 am

@captain peregrin, idk my favourite animated movies are probably mulan, sinbad: legend of the seven seas, road to el dorado & stuff like that (i wayy prefer 2d animation over 3d) i think i've seen the secret of nimh!! but it actually scarred me (my grandma put it on for me when i was super young and i made it to the part where they're injecting the rats with the stuff.. i started crying that move was terrifying), i might rewatch it though!! and princess monoke is definitely on my list (and the tale of princess kaguya too.. it looks really cool)

@polerberr oh wow, thank you for the list! and yeah, i'm definitely not discounting movie lists (i've been going through a few and making notes of ones that look cool) but they tend to repeat a lot of the same titles (which is understandable ofc); i like pretty much all the directors you listed!! i loved interstellar (christopher nolan), the hateful eight (quentin tarantino) and nightmare before christmas, corpse bride, edward scissorhands (tim burton) but i should definitely look into their filmographies more - i definitely need to watch some wes anderson and sergio leone sounds really cool!! spaghetti westerns are great. i haven't seen too many of the films on your list but i'll definitely check out.. basically all of them (esp the thrillers, they sound really interesting), thankyou so much!!

@holmes221b thanks!! i've seen the hobbit & lotr series (some of my favourite movies), and the pirates of the caribbean but none of the others (excluding the original beauty and the beast) i've been meaning to see the new one but never got around to it, but i've added kingsglaive & beverly hils cop to my list, thanks a lot!

@zitrone thanks for the suggestions! i have casablanca & the star wars series on my list (i've seen most of them but kinda wanna have a marathon), and i've seen schindler's list (but should probably rewatch since i missed a lot of the sadder parts since i was busy), i definitely want to watch all quiet on the western front because i recently finished the book, but i will definitely add those to my list! i've wanted to see the terminator (i think i watched about half) and alien/aliens for a while now so

but yeah, thankyou again everyone! this was really helpful
a gardener told me some plants move
───────
libra - hufflepuff - infp
forum game!

───────
but i could not believe it

horchata

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Captain Peregrin » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:46 am

@acaycia:
Speaking of Dreamworks reminds me of The Prince of Egypt - it's my favorite adaptation of the Exodus story!
Also, if you want to try some more recent anime films, Mamoru Hosoda is an up and coming director - no Miyazaki, but still worth a look. I enjoyed both The Girl Who Leaped Through Time and Wolf Children ^.^
I've also heard really good things about your name. - can't wait for it to come out on video!
Captain Peregrin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me