Paperclip Challenge Discussion Thread

Discussion about the Pets, Items, Dress-ups, Events, Site, Forum or other CS features!

Paperclip Challenge Discussion Thread

Postby Galaxy Figs » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:55 pm

Hey! So I figured I'd start a thread dedicated to talking about the paperclip challenge, any great pets you've managed to acquire through it, and any strategies you may have for others!

Every Dog PPS in the game achieved 7/3/18!
Galaxy Figs

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Paperclip Challenge Discussion Thread

Postby Deerless » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:19 pm

This sounds interesting! I've got a little question though, what is a paperclip challenge?

Is it the same as in real life, where one tries to trade something for something better and stuff? Would it also be a paperclip challenge if I were to try to trade one deer (for example a 2014 uncommon) for multiple more deer and keep doing that until I reach a really big number of deer? ö
Hi, I'm Deerless and I am a hoarder of Deer and Dwarf Hamsters
You are always welcome to send me trades including any of those two! I love to trade! <3
I have a complete deer collection!

My Collection & Hoards Thread

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------Current Hoard Goal
------------Reach 2.500 deer in my hoard
---------------------2370 / 2500
------------------- 391 deer to go!
--------------------
--------------------
-----------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Deerless

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Silverstar » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:30 pm

Deerless wrote:
    This sounds interesting! I've got a little question though, what is a paperclip challenge?

Is it the same as in real life, where one tries to trade something for something better and stuff? Would it also be a paperclip challenge if I were to try to trade one deer (for example a 2014 uncommon) for multiple more deer and keep doing that until I reach a really big number of deer? ö

A paperclip is when you take a pet of your own and trade it for something of slightly higher worth.
You continue doing this until you achieve the pet you want.

Some users do not like paperclips, as the paperclip owner is essentially underpaying.

Silverstar
she/her - adult - avid animal lover
languages: German - English
playing genshin impact like 24/7

Image Image
Image Image
Silverstar

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby chunkypeanutbutter » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:34 am

I think, probably the best way to paperclip would be to get a store pet (or a set of store pets) and trade them one at a time, one release back until you get further and further. This is probably a lot easier than trying to start with an uncommon or a rare because you are always insured that there is another set back to shoot for, while with uncommons and rares it's more unpredictable. Of course, you may run into some demand issues the further back you get, and I guess that could be an issue, but if you have other store pets you've been clipping it may be worth sacrificing a few rares here and there to progress further. The only potential issues I could see here is just getting the store pet; however, there's lots of ways to get a store pet and that may either be:

1. just get some C$ from the store yourself or,
2. sell some pets for bits of C$ or,
3. make some art/do an offsite trade for C$/pets

I've had a lot of failures with non-VR clipping, unfortunately :(
I have never actually tried this method, but it may be worth giving it a shot. Logically it should work :)
chunkypeanutbutter

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby VanyaDuvainel » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:26 am

Now that I’ve started the Paperclip Challenge myself, I’ve found that users participating try sending out random trades asking for an edit into a trade up. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn’t- I’ve also gotten random trades from people wanting to help me with my paperclips.
I’m curious to know if strictly using the 3-month rule to very slowly work your way up might be an effective strategy, but I imagine it would take a lot of time and determination to pull that off :)
Last edited by VanyaDuvainel on Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
VanyaDuvainel

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Spearow » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:17 am

I’ve gotten some rather rude trades from users doing this. I would like to suggest some tips at doing this successfully, while benefitting both parties.

• If you follow the three month rule, your trade is more likely to be accepted than year jumping. That is like asking for a handout.
• Try to trade you paperclip pet(s) to people that have them on their wishlist, they are more likely to accept if there is something in it for them. ^^

I think I will try this for fun, now to pick a pet to begin with. What sort do you all choose? I’m thinking using a group of 2010 uncommons canines and horses to backtrack to ‘09 rares.
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
xx
xxxImage
xx
xxx
❥ Trade me?
xxstatus: tired
x x
xxtradesisolistoAuction
xx➵ Looking for wishlist!
Spearow

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby •єтнαи• » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:19 am

What I've been doing is I have been giving away all the rares I get from it. I don't think "The Kindness Of Others" should just benefit the person who feels like copy pasting a message to 300 different people. It should be to benefit the kind people who helped them.
•єтнαи•

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Spearow » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:21 am

xmaug wrote:What I've been doing is I have been giving away all the rares I get from it. I don't think "The Kindness Of Others" should just benefit the person who feels like copy pasting a message to 300 different people. It should be to benefit the kind people who helped them.

Exactly! Thats very sweet. I trade fairly up with mine, I hate getting trades demanding pets 3 or 4 years older. That defeats the purpose of the challenge and is called asking for handouts y’know?
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
xx
xxxImage
xx
xxx
❥ Trade me?
xxstatus: tired
x x
xxtradesisolistoAuction
xx➵ Looking for wishlist!
Spearow

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Eaglespirit » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:00 am

VanyaDuvainel wrote:Now that I’ve started the Paperclip Challenge myself, I’ve found that users participating try sending out random trades asking for an edit into a trade up. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn’t- I’ve also gotten random trades from people wanting to help me with my paperclips.
I’m curious to know if strictly using the 3-month rule to very slowly work your way up might be an effective, but I imagine it would take a lot of time and determination to pull that off :)

I actually tried doing that with '09 rare dogs once, it worked somewhat. I didn't try very hard but going from Jan '09 to Dec '08 was difficult, despite still being under the 3 month rule.
I suppose if you put the effort into it you could do it with any pet
Currently Collecting:
Cats- 8 Left - Lions - UR Lion
2013 - ??
All Advent List Pets - ??

Trades/Chicken$ stores
Rares For Trade
1C$ Each
2 For 1C$ 2C$ and Over
Eaglespirit

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby nickjr » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:37 am

Eaglespirit wrote:
VanyaDuvainel wrote:Now that I’ve started the Paperclip Challenge myself, I’ve found that users participating try sending out random trades asking for an edit into a trade up. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn’t- I’ve also gotten random trades from people wanting to help me with my paperclips.
I’m curious to know if strictly using the 3-month rule to very slowly work your way up might be an effective, but I imagine it would take a lot of time and determination to pull that off :)

I actually tried doing that with '09 rare dogs once, it worked somewhat. I didn't try very hard but going from Jan '09 to Dec '08 was difficult, despite still being under the 3 month rule.
I suppose if you put the effort into it you could do it with any pet

Three month rule is kinda shaky/almost nonexistent once you step into 2008. I wouldn't feel comfortable doing even a general 1-month rule with the non-extended release 2008 pets except for possibly October 2008 and November 2008... the differences in availability basically every month in 2008 were just too big. I could feel it
Spread the word to end the word, because discrimination based on perceived or actual IQ/"intelligence" is no better than discrimination based on race, gender, etc.

Context, consistency, and clear antecedents are golden.
I neither read nor speak between the lines. But I will analyze your language.

Often on phone |||| Timezone: EDT/EST (CS Time -4/-5) |||| Very turbulent life IRL
Intentionally turned off signatures; PMs off June 2013 - June 2020, may turn off again later
Banner by Moonflight Image It's been over 10 years since my request, and I still love it. Thank you so much!

Character in avatar is from CS's 2015 Sucrose City summer event. Border made by me in MS Paint, Windows 8.1 xD
nickjr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me