NEW POLL CS Community Wants YOUR help on Trading Guidelines!

Discussion about the Pets, Items, Dress-ups, Events, Site, Forum or other CS features!

For pets with the same age and demand, what is most fair to trade for a Common?

3 Very Commons
5%
2 Very Commons
67%
1 Very Common + 1 Extremely Common
8%
All commons can swap evenly
20%

Total votes : 372

Re: NEW POLL CS Community Wants YOUR help on Trading Guideli

Postby nemohappyturtlepants » Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:11 pm

SolarSonnet wrote:
I guess I was hoping to find a ratio of sorbs released to nons released, and if there is even a calculatable ratio that makes sense.
Also finding each UR/OMGSR will give us a ratio for each OMGSR to each other. So not only will we find nons to sorbs, but nons to the others of their litter, etc.

It might be possible to find a trend, chart stuff like how many sorbs and how many nons each year were released, and if there is a similar ratio per year.

I.E.

If we pick 2023, 2020, and 2017, and there's a 4:1 Ratio in 2017, a 2:1 Ratio in 2020, then an 8:1 Ratio in 2023, or if there are more nons than sorbs in some years, then we can probably assume that there isn't much of a "set" amount of sorbs that are released in comparison to Nons. But if it ends up being like, 3:1 in 2017, 4:1 in 2020, and 5:1 in 2023, then we can probably deduce that they're trying to keep the ratio the same and try to do more research on some of the years in between to see if that keeps up.

I'd rather calculate CS data than study for my biostats exam so I volunteer to help out if people decide to take data on a hundred thousand december 18 pets. DM me if you need soldiers lol
Proud member of the Green Smoothie cabin!
nemohappyturtlepants

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby SolarSonnet » Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:50 pm

I would imagine yeah. I remembered something about that project/a post being made by staff or something where they didn’t want people using a script to ID Skim pets? Thats why I was suggesting a manual count.

Also, “We may as well just ask the admins to release the numbers for us”

Problem is that they won’t, so it’s kind of like a, “Fine, I’ll do it.” Kind of response, lol. (/lighthearted)

I definitely don’t blame the admins and tess for not wanting to release the pet counts. Idk if its a “I dont want the community to have that information” kind of thing, or if its a “I don’t want them to have that information from us” kind of thing.

I would imagine they’d have shut down the manual pet count rather than just the DDoS protection being a problem for the script if they didn’t want us having the information period. They also probably would have shut down the OMGSR pet count.

Leads me to believing that its not that they don’t want us to have the information, they just don’t want us to be served the information on a silver platter. We have to gather the ingredients, cook the food, and come out with our own data.

The reason I suggested logging active/inactive accounts is because we may be able to gain data on how pets are categorized if we did.

I guess we could do it with a smaller sample size. For example, if we looked for all of the Basilisks on the site and logged which ones are on active accounts, we could find out why one of them is ER and the other two are OMGSR.

That would give us the ratio, almost exactly, since there are no Basilisk Rereleases. I’d imagine the ER one is on the cusp of OMGSR. It means we’d have a range of numbers that it could be.

I.E.(random number for reference) if there are 1003 ER Basilisks on active accounts, and 982 of one of the OMGSR Basilisks, we can probably deduce that somewhere between those two numbers is the ER/OMGSR cutoff.

We can also log ER Dec 18th pets when we do it, and find the average ratio between ERs and OMGSRs. This is a lot of information we can find if we actually log the activity of an account. I might ask a site admin if we can have the numbers again of what makes an account “active” or where the cutoffs are.
Solar/Wish ✄ He/Him ✄ DM for Commission Info and/or TH ✄ ©

Poll Three + New Google Form up now! Discuss and Vote on New Trading Guidelines
here!

︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾
SolarSonnet

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Screemnigcheesepuff » Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:27 pm

For dec count, i would definitely be willing to help if you are looking for more people. As for active/inactive accounts, do we acctually know what the cut off point is for what is considered to be an inactive account? Otherwise logging that would have to rely on a made up cut off which im not sure how helpful that would be. But otherwise i like the idea of trying to figure out a omgsr to ext rare ect ratio and getting a better understanding of pet values that way.

As for which years, i am thinking its probably a good idea to count this coming dec 18th as there are likely going to be a change to the process this year so this would be the most accurate for how the rarity system is now. And its probably a good idea to avoid the year that had two release days (cant remember which one that was sorry) just because it clearly didnt work as they intended it to that year.

In the mean time, separate idea, if people are thinking the c$ chart is looking finalised, it might be a good idea to have a poll that runs for a while (several weeks) just with a few option for people to share their opinions on it. This is because we have seen from previous polls people are much more likely to click a few buttons than comment on this thread. I would recommend allowing people to select multiple options for answer

It would probably work best at the top of this thread, and maybe have options of;
I would/wouldn’t use this chart,
all prices are too high/low,
some prices are too high/low,
i have a different chart that i would prefer to use
And maybe a couple if other options, or rewording of these options as this is just a rough idea.

This could just run in the background for a while other parts like dec 18th are focused on to allow as many people to be able to have a say in the c$ chart without as much pressure to comment on the more complicated aspects of calculating c$ values.
(Sorry if any of this is worded poorly, i am more than happy to clarify anything if wanted)
Autistic & dyslexic xxxxxxArt shop OPEN! xxxxxx No coloured text please

Screemnigcheesepuff

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby immortality » Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:34 am

SolarSonnet wrote:Personally.. I don't know how set I am in making a trading guide with exact valuations anymore. I think Horror might have that one down (if you guys wanna do that, I'm all for it, but I have an adult life with adult things to do and I realized that actively maintaining a guide is probably.. going to be a lot of work, that I don't have the time/energy for.)

[cut to save space]

I just wanted to say that this is the most straightforward explanation about trading values (like "non") that I have ever seen and you actually lay out WHY some pets were/are considered worth more and where the whole valuation of non even comes from. I've been at CS for a few years now and was STILL confused until I read your post.

Whatever is done for trading guidelines, there should definitely be an ELI5 post to lay out exactly where all the terms come from, because it is really hard for newbies to just jump in and understand values like these. Also, I was speaking with a potential trading partner today over PM and they explained high demand/old rares valuation by converting things to C$ (giving a high/low range) and that was also really helpful.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

remember me as a time of day.
cs tradesfr trades
immortality

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby SolarSonnet » Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:51 am

Screemnigcheesepuff wrote:For dec count, i would definitely be willing to help if you are looking for more people. As for active/inactive accounts, do we acctually know what the cut off point is for what is considered to be an inactive account? Otherwise logging that would have to rely on a made up cut off which im not sure how helpful that would be. But otherwise i like the idea of trying to figure out a omgsr to ext rare ect ratio and getting a better understanding of pet values that way.

As for which years, i am thinking its probably a good idea to count this coming dec 18th as there are likely going to be a change to the process this year so this would be the most accurate for how the rarity system is now. And its probably a good idea to avoid the year that had two release days (cant remember which one that was sorry) just because it clearly didnt work as they intended it to that year.

In the mean time, separate idea, if people are thinking the c$ chart is looking finalised, it might be a good idea to have a poll that runs for a while (several weeks) just with a few option for people to share their opinions on it. This is because we have seen from previous polls people are much more likely to click a few buttons than comment on this thread. I would recommend allowing people to select multiple options for answer

It would probably work best at the top of this thread, and maybe have options of;
I would/wouldn’t use this chart,
all prices are too high/low,
some prices are too high/low,
i have a different chart that i would prefer to use
And maybe a couple if other options, or rewording of these options as this is just a rough idea.

This could just run in the background for a while other parts like dec 18th are focused on to allow as many people to be able to have a say in the c$ chart without as much pressure to comment on the more complicated aspects of calculating c$ values.
(Sorry if any of this is worded poorly, i am more than happy to clarify anything if wanted)

--

I like this, but I think there are going to be multiple charts to vote on, so I don't know if there is a singular chart that should have the poll, or if we should do two separate polls like the above with both charts.

I might make a version of the chart that reflects how people are currently valuing 2010-2011 rares together (as much as I hate that people are doing that) and then group by years since people tend to like grouping some years together.

I'd also separate the options. I think "I wouldn't use this chart" can go unsaid if people are answering that prices are too high/low. Polls can have up to 10 answers so I'd do:

-I would use this chart
-All prices are too high
-All prices are too low
-Some prices are too high
-Some prices are too low
-Some prices are too high and some are too low
-Some of the year gaps are too big
-Some of the year gaps are too small
-I want a chart that has a price/range for each year.
-I have a different chart that I would prefer to use (Share?)

As for the previous pet counts and Dec 18th stuff:

I think the old data needs to be recollected. As much as it might be useful, it was clearly kind of borked and not doing very well. I don't want to use a script. There's think Chrome Extension called URLNext that could probably help us a lot to manually collect data.

This Dec 18th seems like the time to be collecting this data. I think older years can be just as useful, but this one feels like it might be different.

A few things to look out for with the count:
-Is there a disproportionate amount of specific OMGSRs that may prove (or disprove) our theory about OMGSRs being released more often as they reach a rarity "limit"? (If that's the case we'd probably expect to see quite a few URs from last year, as well as old pets that are reaching this "limit"- think like the Sunjewel and stuff.)

-is there a ratio between New URs to Older URs that are released on Dec 18th?

-What kind of ratio is being created on Dec 18th in terms of pets to other pets, and do those ratios persist throughout the years? If they change: How, and does it suggest that all ratios are coincidental? (I.E. A sporadic change of ratio between sorbs to nons might suggest there's just no ratio at all being taken into account. If it's 4:1 Sorb:Non one year, but then there are more Nons than sorbs another year, then it might be reasonable to assume that either, A: There is no ratio being taken into account, or B: Certain Nons may have reached the rarity 'limit' and been released more often. In either case, we'd need more data from more years.)

Especially if we have data like,
20xa: 4 Sorbs : 1 Non
20xb: 2 Sorbs : 1 Non
20xc: 4 Sorbs : 1 Non
20xd: 3 Sorbs : 1 Non
20xe: 2 Nons : 1 Sorb

Then suddenly, 20xe is an outlier. The data suggests a ratio that is being enforced except in 20xe, meaning something happened to make them release more nons in that year. Data points like that could enforce the "rarity ceiling" theory.

immortality wrote:
SolarSonnet wrote:Personally.. I don't know how set I am in making a trading guide with exact valuations anymore. I think Horror might have that one down (if you guys wanna do that, I'm all for it, but I have an adult life with adult things to do and I realized that actively maintaining a guide is probably.. going to be a lot of work, that I don't have the time/energy for.)

[cut to save space]

I just wanted to say that this is the most straightforward explanation about trading values (like "non") that I have ever seen and you actually lay out WHY some pets were/are considered worth more and where the whole valuation of non even comes from. I've been at CS for a few years now and was STILL confused until I read your post.

Whatever is done for trading guidelines, there should definitely be an ELI5 post to lay out exactly where all the terms come from, because it is really hard for newbies to just jump in and understand values like these. Also, I was speaking with a potential trading partner today over PM and they explained high demand/old rares valuation by converting things to C$ (giving a high/low range) and that was also really helpful.

I'm glad it was helpful! It definitely helps things make more sense when you know why pets are valued the way that they are. It makes sense to say "Shouldn't pets of the same rarity swap evenly?" until you realize that pets of the same rarity weren't always that rarity, and it might be negligible when it comes to pets rare and under, but it definitely isn't when you get into OMGSRs.

The reason 1 OMGSR can be worth 4 other OMGSRs isn't for no reason or "just because", it's because there's actual data points that back up that trading value for them, based in old rarities. The fact that there used to be 4 sorbs for every non, makes it make sense that we're using a similar ratio to this day. It's more like 2:1 right now, but personally I'd have kept it at 4:1. I think 2:1 happened because of the demand spike that came when the pink sorb shot up to OMGSR, and some still value the Pink Sorb at 0.75n which is insane to me.

Rarity tags have demand in and of themselves, unfortunately. People thought that the pink sorb shooting up to OMGSR first and then dropping back down meant that the pink sorb was rarer than its littermates, when, in fact, there have been gaps as small as 16 pets before between VR and OMGSR. So it was likely that the entire sorb litter has been on the cusp of OMGSR for a while. I don't think that should have changed their valuation in terms of their relation to nons, though.

If the cutoff for VR-OMGSR was less than 1 pet per 1000 users, there could have just been like 10 less Pink Sorbs than Blue/Green/Yellow Sorbs, and that was enough. Then people logged on again for Dec 18th and it fell back down to VR because they were considered "active" again.

Just because a pet jumps in rarity, doesn't mean that its littermates are significantly less rare than it. It might even suggest that its littermates are of a similar rarity, have been on the cusp for a while, and it's time to re-evaluate the entire litter.

Also: Since there's nothing above OMGSR. Nons could very well be "Less than 1 pet per 4000 accounts" and Sorbs could be "Less than 1 Pet per 1000 accounts" meaning its still 1:4, it's just a different 1:4, and we have no idea, because there's no OMGSR tiers. That's what the guides and lists are for, and why a pet's rarity history is arguably one of the most important things to take into account when calculating what they're worth now. I think the change in Sorbs from 1:4 to 1:2 was arbitrary and not based in fact or actual valuation. I think all sorbs should be able to swap 1:1, as intended since the beginning.

I also don't understand the people who are like, "With the revamps we don't have any idea what the pets are worth now" as if.. the change in rarity labels negate a pet's rarity history? Yes, rarity revamps change a lot, but we can still assume valuation based in their history. It's not like there were any less or more of them before the revamp, they've had the same amount of them this entire time. Doesn't this actually give us more information than before? Especially about pets ranging from Common to VR/ER right now.

A pet that was uncommon previously jumping up to EUC now, means that this pet has been on the cusp of Rare for a while. On the flip side, a pet that was rare turning EUC means that it was likely on the cusp of being Uncommon previously. We now have more information about that pet than ever. I'd call a VUC a "true" Uncommon, since they're the middle-of-the-line Uncommon. I'd bet most pets that were previously "solidly uncommon" are now Very Uncommons. Similarly, in Commons, I'd bet that pets that were solidly 'Common' before are between Very Common and Common. This gives us more information about those pets than we've ever had in the past. I just wish we had even more rare categories with how many OMGSRs there are now.

here!

SolarSonnet

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Palimpsest » Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:16 am

Just checking back in on the thread out of curiosity. Didn't realize there was a second Google poll! Also hit 100 responses on the first one.
Seeing as Dec 18th is coming up, do people still want to organize a pet count? I can probably help.
I also wanted to say thanks to everyone for trying to organize the polls and get more data. It's been helping me see what people want when trading.

If nothing else, I'd love to see a trading preference poll & results linked on something like horrors guide. Even if an actual "guide" isn't made of it, an open and available set of charts for trading preferences is hugely helpful to see what people actually want to trade like - and in creating a friendly trading community that transparency and understanding helps.
Palimpsest

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby SolarSonnet » Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:49 am

I definitely still want to do a count!

I also totally forgot to mention here- probably because my post was the last one made and I didn't want to double post- but..

I now manage the The 'How much is this pet worth in C$?' Thread!

I'm currently on a mini-hiatus (still checking in, just not doing a ton of work rn) for the holidays, so I'd really appreciate if someone else could set up a Dec 18th Pet Count thread and then link it here. Basically, we'd be recruiting a group of people before the 18th, and then after the 18th, dividing the number of pets that were adopted on the 18th into x amount of groups for people to sort through. I.E. if 100,000 pets were adopted and we got 20 people to help us, then each person would get 5,000 pets to log, potentially in a Google Sheet?

The polls would be really nice linked on Horror's Guide, maybe I'll get in contact and see about putting them up there. It'd definitely bring more traction to them, as well.

here!

SolarSonnet

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Miss_Believer » Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:53 am

immortality wrote:

[cut to save space]

I agree, this was super digestible and not full of lingo. Thank you, SolarSonnet!

That is my big issue with many rarity guides. Many of them full of lingo that you would only know if you've been doing high value trades since the beginning and following them like stocks. This makes it inaccessible for many people, and more difficult for someone new to trading (kinda like stocks!).
I am a holibomber!
I have gifted 0 people.
I have received 0 gifts.

Hello, I'm Miss_Believer, but you can call me Miss if you want! I love hanging out with my friends and my pets!! I love getting trades, so feel free to send one! I'm trying to get a full pet and item collection, so any trades or gifts help, and I'm always in need of C$!!! Thank you to Nummy for helping me get my previous dreamie!! My current dreamies are shown below. I would like them because the first one looks like my cat, Jojo, and the second two seem to be the closest I can find to my cat Oni, who recently passed. My fourth dreamie is a Scorpio dog, because I’m a Scorpio!![/center]

ImageImageImageImage

My Trade Thread: https://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3932027
Miss_Believer

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby SolarSonnet » Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:28 pm

I'm sort of back and might be working on C$ Charts with the info we've got in the upcoming days, provided seasonal depression and executive dysfunction stops kicking my butt.

I made a new thread Here looking for people to help me research some old threads and such for the valuation of older pets, how things used to be traded and what research was done with threads as evidence.

I appreciate the feedback on my little mockup for the guide, it was exactly what I was hoping to provide for people when I set out to make it. Along with the C$ Guide, I really hope whatever contributions I make to the CS community will be helpful to this upcoming era of trading. ^^

here!

SolarSonnet

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby chantolove » Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:04 am

I'm a relatively new player, joined this year, and it's interesting to watch the High Value Trading Community deal with the change. The thing I'm most confused about is with this trading guidelines thing is actually the terminology: why is everyone sticking with the full rarity names instead of using the star count? Had to go back and look at some pets to remember what Common and Very Common were valued at, but if the poll had said 'how many 1*s would you trade for a 1.5*, I'd understand the math dilemma and the answer choices immediately. (Is it a 1* + a 0.5*, star-for-star math, or is it two 1*s because the values are pyramidal? (It's two 1*s. The values are pyramidal.))

Is it really just to keep the words "common" "uncommon" and "rare" in play? Dividing the pyramid up into description-based strata? That seems a bit irrational, compared to treating each .5* increment as its own rung on one unified trading ladder. But it seems to be what's happening, given the "all commons should be traded the same" option in the forum poll. Of course a 1* isn't worth the same as a 0* (year math and traders' tastes notwithstanding), but they both have the word 'common' involved, so a surprising amount of people seem to consider them interchangeable. And the google form language seems to reinforce this mindset.

And if we have to have that strata, it's just bothering me that the cutoff isn't a round number, lol. "All pets 1* and below" is much more intuitive than "common and below", innit? Quicker to type, quicker to read, quicker to see on a pet. Etc.
My Trading Thread
project: MASTERS OF THE BAZAAR, my collection of ridiculous fallen london fanbats
if you make ME sort through YOUR folders for doubles that are stored right alongside keepers, i will simply click off your page instead
chantolove

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me