NEW POLL CS Community Wants YOUR help on Trading Guidelines!

Discussion about the Pets, Items, Dress-ups, Events, Site, Forum or other CS features!

For pets with the same age and demand, what is most fair to trade for a Common?

3 Very Commons
4%
2 Very Commons
67%
1 Very Common + 1 Extremely Common
8%
All commons can swap evenly
21%

Total votes : 370

Re: NEW POLL CS Community Wants YOUR help on Trading Guideli

Postby musicgurl333 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:13 am

chantolove wrote:I'm a relatively new player, joined this year, and it's interesting to watch the High Value Trading Community deal with the change. The thing I'm most confused about is with this trading guidelines thing is actually the terminology: why is everyone sticking with the full rarity names instead of using the star count? Had to go back and look at some pets to remember what Common and Very Common were valued at, but if the poll had said 'how many 1*s would you trade for a 1.5*, I'd understand the math dilemma and the answer choices immediately. (Is it a 1* + a 0.5*, star-for-star math, or is it two 1*s because the values are pyramidal? (It's two 1*s. The values are pyramidal.))

Is it really just to keep the words "common" "uncommon" and "rare" in play? Dividing the pyramid up into description-based strata? That seems a bit irrational, compared to treating each .5* increment as its own rung on one unified trading ladder. But it seems to be what's happening, given the "all commons should be traded the same" option in the forum poll. Of course a 1* isn't worth the same as a 0* (year math and traders' tastes notwithstanding), but they both have the word 'common' involved, so a surprising amount of people seem to consider them interchangeable. And the google form language seems to reinforce this mindset.

And if we have to have that strata, it's just bothering me that the cutoff isn't a round number, lol. "All pets 1* and below" is much more intuitive than "common and below", innit? Quicker to type, quicker to read, quicker to see on a pet. Etc.

I guess it depends on how you think. Personally, that sounds like a NIGHTMARE to me. I don’t know off the top of my head how many stars each rarity equals. I don’t want to have to figure that out and/or count them each time. I do realize that different people think and process information differently, though!

Another issue is that I think a “1” is going to be confusing to a lot of people. Does it mean a single pet, or a “1” rarity? Maybe if it said “1 star”, but not everyone uses the star display bar for rarity. I guess you could say “1 rarity”?

As far as it being longer to type, a lot of people use abbreviations: OMGSC, EC, VC, C, UC, etc. So it’s really not that much more typing than just using a number.
musicgurl333

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: NEW POLL CS Community Wants YOUR help on Trading Guideli

Postby SolarSonnet » Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:42 am

I agree with Music, on my rarity indicators, I don't even use the one that has multiple stars on it. I think it looks clunky/ugly.
Using the star system would be super confusing for me.

Keeping in mind that 2 of the options don't even include the stars, I think it's intended that people use OMGSC, EC, VC, C, UC, etc as labels rather than the stars themselves. The only two displays I actually like are the ones without the multiple stars, funnily enough. I only visually like the "notched bar" and the "bar with single star" options.

I do get where chantolove is coming from, it just makes it a little more nonsensical to me. It definitely doesn't make sense that a 0* and a 1* might be able to swap, but here we are.

I also had to go to the above thing to check what a 1 star even is, and was surprised to see that a 1 star is a Very Common, and not either a Common or an Uncommon. Intuitively, I'd think a 1-star would be a "common" or "uncommon" and a 0-star would be an "OMGSC" but the problem with that is that there are 2 rarities between OMGSC and Common.

Basically, the star rating as a whole feels unintuitive to me. If I were making rarities it would be that 0-star and its fractions would be OMGSC-VC/C, 1-2 would be Uncommon, VUC, EUC, Rares would be 3*, VR 4*, showing the gap between each rarity as I personally view them. And then Idk where ER and OMGSR would be, since I think there's an even bigger gap between those. It kind of feels like ranking them on a scale of 1-10.

To me, it doesn't feel like there's a massive gap between OMGSC and C, nor an UC and VUC, but it does feel like there's a massive gap between Rares and Very Rares.

So for me, Rarity trading feels like a 1-10 ranking:
0 - OMGSC
1/3 - EC
2/3 - VC
1 - C
1 1/3 - UC
1 2/3 - VUC
2 - EUC
3 - R
4 - VR
6 - ER
10 - OMGSR

Some of the following analogies I'm making are using USD/American money examples, feel free to convert it into your currency of choice to keep the analogy, whatever makes the most sense to you. Some of the stuff I'm talking about might also just be a U.S. thing, I don't know enough about how other cultures treat money to know.

It takes very few OMGSC-VC to swap around with each other, as well as UC-VUC. A jump to a new number = a more significant gap mentally, meaning that even though the "One and Two-Thirds" of a VUC is still only "One-Third" away from EUC, the fact it brings it up to 2 makes it feel bigger to me (which is how I feel about trading Uncommons). Kind of like the psychological aspect of stores where they'll write "$1.99" on things to make you go, "Oh! That's only $1!" When actually it's literally $2, but in reverse.

You could almost represent a jump up in star value as a "1:2" ratio, and anything within the same star value as an "eh its not that much of a difference between pets, I'd take something unfair, its not worth the time/effort to come up with something fair every single time."

So the bigger gap between valuations means more you have to offer, and if it makes it a new/whole number then its inherently different.

It would take quite a few ERs for me to trade for an OMGSR, so much so that Idk how many it'd even be, heavily depending on the pet itself.

I think maybe like 1:3 or 1:4 for ER:VR, and 1:2 is fine for VR:R as a baseline.

So I feel better when trading VUCs up to EUCs than I feel about trading EUCs down to VUCs. If I have $2, Idk if I wanna trade it for $1 and some change that adds up to $2, especially not in an economy where your change isn't worth as much as the full dollar to quite a few people.

But, if I have 33 cents, and somebody needs some change, I'm happy to give it away if I have it to spare. This is how I feel about pets OMGSC-C. It's less than a dollar. Kind of like how people go, "Keep the change" because they don't want to deal with having it.

Sometimes, (especially for the people who have lots of valuable things), Commons and Under are more of an inconvenience to own and figure out fair trades for than the actual value of it is worth. But for people who only have a few dollars, that 33 cents goes a long way. To ones with higher value, it's like if we were printing money, but the cost of printing the money (for this analogy: the inherent labor of trading commons and under for equal value amongst themselves) was worth more than the money (commons) itself.

Yes, two quarters (0.25 each) and a dime (0.10) does not equal 3 quarters (0.75 total) , but its such a tiny amount that nitpicking it is not worth the energy for somebody who has thousands of dollars. If something costs $1.89, and I give you $2.00 for it, sometimes I just don't want my 11 cents. It's more of an inconvenience for you to hand me the 11 cents, put it in my wallet, and then find a use for 11 cents later, than it is for me to just stop acknowledging the 11 cents as existing and eating it as a "cost" of the trade. But for someone who only has $3 to trade in the beginning, that 11 cents is important and they will want it.

Pets that are OMGSC-C are often not worth figuring out a fair trade for to people who have high-value pets, because they are so low-value. Which is why the option of "All commons (and below) can swap evenly" is there. I'm also more likely to give away pets that are lower in rarity. So if the change is something like 75 cents, I'm more likely to want it back, but if its less than 25 cents then I probably don't care too much about it, if I can afford to not care at the time.

In this way, you can also think of Hoarders of one outcome as Specific Coin Collectors. Maybe they're willing to pay $100 for a bunch of Quarters with a specific state on the back that only total $25, because otherwise the quarters are spread out, not in one place, and laborious to trade individually for. It's kind of like hiring somebody else to collect the quarters for you, and paying for your time. (I'm talking about those auctions where people trade list pets for massive boosts to their hoards- like this)

Sorry I got kind of rambly there, but I do enjoy rambling about how I feel about pets on CS in relation to money irl. It feels very similar and intuitive to me.
Solar/Wish ✄ He/Him ✄ DM for Commission Info and/or TH ✄ ©

Poll Three + New Google Form up now! Discuss and Vote on New Trading Guidelines
here!

︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾︾
SolarSonnet

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me