ASL~ American Sign Language

Discussion in other languages - Deutsch • Español • Français • Italiano • Nederlands • Polski • Русский • Svenska • 日本語 • 中文

Re: ASL~ American Sign Language

Postby Cherry » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:46 am

That's cool! I want to get to the point where I can sign songs the whole way through. Mainly, though, I just want to learn conversational skills. I want to be fluent in ASL one day.
I don't like the finger spelling craze in schools. Most people aren't going to remember the alphabet by the next year, and signs are way more important than finger spelling. They should learn "please" and "thank you" and "hi, my name [is] ___" There is WAY more to ASL than the alphabet, but no one really knows that. *Sigh*
Your thoughts, anyone?
Cherry

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby SoundAndVision » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:27 pm

Cherry wrote:That's cool! I want to get to the point where I can sign songs the whole way through. Mainly, though, I just want to learn conversational skills. I want to be fluent in ASL one day.
I don't like the finger spelling craze in schools. Most people aren't going to remember the alphabet by the next year, and signs are way more important than finger spelling. They should learn "please" and "thank you" and "hi, my name [is] ___" There is WAY more to ASL than the alphabet, but no one really knows that. *Sigh*
Your thoughts, anyone?

I agree with you though also I think we should let the finger spellers be and those of us who know more than that should offer to teach them. Sign language is a lanaguge the deaf use and both aspects of the language it self as well as ethics. (like polite way to get a deaf persons attention.) Its important that people keep learning to sign because there will always be deaf people in this world and it wasn't thier choice to be deaf. When I was in 6th grade I had a group of me and two other people and I taught them sign language and to this day one of the girls remembers the signs that she had learned. I'm thinking about restarting a group like that this year at my high school.
SoundAndVision

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Cherry » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:50 am

That sounds neat! I'd join a group like that.
I agree with your point. Although, I wasn't saying everyone needs to learn some ASL on their own--I meant to say that everyone should be taught a few basic signs if the ASL alphabet is really so important to schools. It sounded like I didn't explain that well. ^^
Would you want to PM me with your YouTube channel name, or no?

Once I helped out at a low-key ASL event at my library, and the librarian wanted us to do sim-com while introducing ourselves. Well, I was an EXTREME beginner, only knew 10-15 signs. I spelled my name out loud, letter by letter while fingerspelling. It was embarrassing because you're not supposed to do that. But I wasn't even a great finger speller back then... Also, we did a song in ASL (Twinkle Twinkle, Little Star) but it was really PSE. The ones who set it up were liars. XP (Well-intentioned liars, anyway.) :lol:
Cherry

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby SoundAndVision » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:43 am

Cherry wrote:That sounds neat! I'd join a group like that.
I agree with your point. Although, I wasn't saying everyone needs to learn some ASL on their own--I meant to say that everyone should be taught a few basic signs if the ASL alphabet is really so important to schools. It sounded like I didn't explain that well. ^^
Would you want to PM me with your YouTube channel name, or no?

Once I helped out at a low-key ASL event at my library, and the librarian wanted us to do sim-com while introducing ourselves. Well, I was an EXTREME beginner, only knew 10-15 signs. I spelled my name out loud, letter by letter while fingerspelling. It was embarrassing because you're not supposed to do that. But I wasn't even a great finger speller back then... Also, we did a song in ASL (Twinkle Twinkle, Little Star) but it was really PSE. The ones who set it up were liars. XP (Well-intentioned liars, anyway.) :lol:

PSE isn't ASL...or an official sign language, langaue but yet it still lcounts as sign language, or at least I count it. There is nothing wrong with it to be honest. And sure I'll pm you the link! Later this weekend I'm doing a green day song.
SoundAndVision

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Cherry » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:54 pm

I don't think there's anything wrong with PSE either, that's what I use, because I'm just now learning the nitty-gritty parts of ASL syntax. It just was weird that they got it online, and it STILL wasn't strong ASL. But we were doing sim-com (singing and signing) so I guess that's why. ;)
On another note, today was my first ASL class! I'm really happy about that. I've waited to take ASL for a whole year, but couldn't fit it in with my previous class schedule.
Cherry

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby SoundAndVision » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:59 am

Cherry wrote:I don't think there's anything wrong with PSE either, that's what I use, because I'm just now learning the nitty-gritty parts of ASL syntax. It just was weird that they got it online, and it STILL wasn't strong ASL. But we were doing sim-com (singing and signing) so I guess that's why. ;)
On another note, today was my first ASL class! I'm really happy about that. I've waited to take ASL for a whole year, but couldn't fit it in with my previous class schedule.

My school (and county I love in school wide) literally has no ASL classes, I was so distraught when I found out because I would have done great in that class lol I could have probaly jumped right into ASL2 or 3! And I spoke with my mom this past weekend and she told me that she auctaly taught me a few signs when I was very little and she though ASL was a great form of communication (and it sure is)
SoundAndVision

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Cherry » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:13 pm

Cool! That's really neat about your mom teaching you!
Stinks that there's no classes near you. :( I'm homeschooled, and I was lucky my homeschool co-op had an ASL class. The high school here where I live has ASL classes, too, though.

I've been thinking about asking the library that I volunteer at to have another Signing event--but one for older kids, where we practice signing and it's mainly voice off. The problem is whether the librarian I'd ask thinks it's good enough to host or not, and having enough people interested in coming. Plus, I technically know more PSE than strong ASL, so I might not be able to be fully voice off.
What do you guys think? Would people feel like coming to that?
Cherry

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby SoundAndVision » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:38 am

Cherry wrote:Cool! That's really neat about your mom teaching you!
Stinks that there's no classes near you. :( I'm homeschooled, and I was lucky my homeschool co-op had an ASL class. The high school here where I live has ASL classes, too, though.

I've been thinking about asking the library that I volunteer at to have another Signing event--but one for older kids, where we practice signing and it's mainly voice off. The problem is whether the librarian I'd ask thinks it's good enough to host or not, and having enough people interested in coming. Plus, I technically know more PSE than strong ASL, so I might not be able to be fully voice off.
What do you guys think? Would people feel like coming to that?

Not to sure about the people where you live but I know I would come!
SoundAndVision

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me