Updates to the pound!

Announcements about events or changes to the website and forum

Re: Updates to the pound!

Postby sosadtoobad » Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:27 pm

I thought this was going to be a good update, but my gumdrops was the lag terrible!
idk if it was bc of this update or the servers, but please check the servers the next time pound is open 0⌂0
heyo, im soapy!
my current hyperfixations are hfjone, will wood, and lemon demon!

i use she/her pronouns, pls be respectful!/gen

oh yeah, im also autistic

pls dont use pastel text, its hard 2 read and its annoying

[left]current hyperfixations: hfjone, will wood, lemon demon, tally hall, and more i cant think of
sosadtoobad

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Pyromaniacal » Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:04 pm

It does seem to me that the Pound is closing much, much faster than it was before the update. I haven't noticed any more or less lag in the Pound itself, but I've definitely noticed a ton more lag on other parts of the site the last few weeks (since before the Easter event started, so I don't think it's that). I've seen some people saying that the lag is spiking specifically during the Pound openings? Which is entirely possible and would make sense, though I haven't been paying close enough attention to the openings to have any evidence for that beyond other peoples' anecdotes. If true, it's a bit unfortuante since this update was meant to reduce lag.

Can't complain too much about luck - I've never expected to get rares from the pound (the few times I have I counted myself very lucky), and I've gotten older EUs maybe 4 out of 5 times I've caught the Pound since it updated, sometimes on the second or third page, so I'm pretty happy with that at least. I rarely get the first pet I try to click on, though.
    linebreak
    ✧ ---------- PYRO - HE/ANY ---------- ✧
    SKILLS: Artist - Writer - Musicianii
    SPECIES: Simas - Obakefolkxixxxi
    FIXATIONS: Dinosaurs - Sonicxxx
    COMMISSIONS: Open for URsxxiii

----------------------------------------
    YOU COME TO THE SOBERING REALIZ-
    ATION THAT THINGS WILL NEVER STOP
    FROM KEEP HAPPENING CONSTANTLY.

✧ ------------------------------------------ ✧
Pyromaniacal

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Yomi Aino » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:37 am

For me, unfortunately this update has also seemed to cause a lot of lag when the pound opens. I used to be able to refresh in the first few seconds and then get a pet, ranging from rares to very commons. Now I've had twice that the pound opened, and there was severe lag. I clicked one pet, already adopted. Refresh. Next pet. Same story. Up to about five times and then the pound was closed. So in theory the update sounds very good and I was excited, but in practice, it has prevented me from adopting from the pound due to lag and that feels frustrating.
~Returning Player as of 8 March 2022~ and again July 2023~

~D&D nerd~ wrote: Feel free to PM me about Dungeons and Dragons!
Talk to me about D&D, your characters, your campaigns!
Ask me about my characters!
Always willing to roleplay d&d-esque settings, just dm me!
Yomi Aino

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby kennethan » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:40 am

i love the idea of pets being released over a period of about a minute but as others have mentioned, by the time my page finally loads all of the pets are taken which hasnt been a problem for me in the past. hopefully something can be done to fix the amount of lag there is

hi im kennethan
he/they ☆ adult ☆ audhd
art shop
the boyf-riend
kennethan

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Simon » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:48 pm

Like a couple of people have pointed out a lot of the issues mentioned here over the past few days are just typical symptoms of having pound openings during a busy event. More people online = pound emptying out faster and greater chance of lag. We will look into ways to try and support lag during high traffic events but I wouldn't make any conclusions on the specific updates outlined in this thread based on pound openings during the event!
Simon
Admin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Nomi » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:59 pm

i was wondering how come pound emptied out so fast, haven't seen that in a while. but nevertheless sounds like a good update
Nomi

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sashtato » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:03 pm

Been waiting to post until I've experienced several pound openings. Comparing my PESONAL experiences before and during the easter event I have seen no difference in the problems I've encountered.

1) Even scanning all of the pets on every page I have not once seen a pet older than 2013, which is odd
2) The lag has been a LOT worse post update, again, even before the easter event. I sit reloading with 1 second left for between 10-25 seconds. I wish I were exaggerating. Lag before would maybe be about 2-8 seconds on average.
3) It has been harder than EVER to select a pet, even if it isn't the oldest or rarest on the page. It has been nearly impossible for me to get anything at all before page four. Edit to add: Plus, once page four hits everything is from 2020 or newer.

I have really good internet and used to be able to get something pretty decent, or at least wishlist, on the first page almost every time... Now it seems it doesn't matter how good my connection is because opening the pound is nearly impossible.

Also, is it just me, or is the pound open way less frequently than before?

ImageImageImageImage
I may be slow to respond or
get anxious over certain messages
or posts, I apologize in advance!
ImageImageImageImage

•❅──────✧❅✦❅✧──────❅•
My sister in law <3
My best friend <3
My Husband <333
•❅──────✧❅✦❅✧──────❅•

Nelinha | She/Her | Adult | Sped Para | Disabled

Sashtato

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby SupernaturalJem » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:10 pm

It does seem to be emptying out faster lately. Twice this week, it's said it would be open in X amount of time. I would go do something else to pass the time and when I come back to check the pound, it's already closed. That never happened as quickly in the past when it was open during an event. However, I will try sometime after the event is over to see if this is still an issue for me. I haven't noticed lag on the site in general (or at least not anymore than usual during an event). I haven't been able to find the pound open, so I cannot speak to lag with the pound specifically.
My clickable adopts All on my LJ rather than putting all in my sig.

Please do NOT send trades for my event tokens. I rarely trade tokens before I get all of the event items/pets that I want. When my tokens are for trade, I will put that in my trade posts on the trade threads. Thank you.
SupernaturalJem

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kinchovi » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:55 am

I think some of these issues must be time zone dependent. I watched this most recent pound opening.
The pound opened at 12:22 GMT.
There were a few extremely rare pets still available after a couple of minutes.
The last rare was adopted at 12:28 (so even if you were 5 min late, you could still snag one).
There were some extremely uncommons still available until 12:38, which could turn rare relatively soon.
The pound didn't close until 12:51 (almost 30 mins after opening).
I think this is much better than prior to the updates, and I definitely noticed that rare & older pets stayed available for much longer. In the past these have all been snagged at least within 30sec-1min. I also have not had any lag whereas previously I did notice some (and i'm not on any high tech PC).
This might be due to the fact that there were only about 1k users online, whereas it seems at more popular times there is far more users than pets which could be causing the lag and pound shutting so quickly.

x╔════════════════════════════════╗
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

my pet collection
trade thread

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
╚════════════════════════════════╝
Kinchovi

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby not zinnia » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:27 am

I would like to recommend releasing pets even slower—at least during events! I think that would combat the issues that people are seeing during this Easter event and for future events.

Also, maybe increasing the amount of pets in the Pound during events would help, too, to match the larger amount of users online during events.
“Love does not make me gentle or kind.” —Anne Carson, Autobiography of Red

Art ShopTH
not zinnia

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me