Oekaki Weekly Challenge - thoughts please?

Announcements about events or changes to the website and forum

Oekaki Weekly Challenge Board: Your thoughts (tick all that apply)

I don't use or visit the oekaki boards at all
7%
I use or browse the oekaki sometimes, but I never go to the weekly challenge board
12%
I sometimes browse or draw in the weekly challenge board
13%
I try to use the weekly challenge board every week
2%
I like the weekly challenge board the way it is and don't think it should change
4%
I think we need longer than 1 week to submit entries for the weekly challenge
8%
It would be good if some of the old weekly challenges were used again so that we could do the ones we missed
14%
It would be good if we could submit weekly challenge ideas
21%
It would be good if the weekly challenge is announced at the top of the forum each week to remind us to check it
20%

Total votes : 2912

Re: Oekaki Weekly Challenge - thoughts please?

Postby Tea_Leaf » Wed May 07, 2014 5:30 pm

1. Have you ever posted art in any of the oekaki boards before?: (if your answer is no, please skip question 2 and 3)
Yes, I have.

2. Have you ever posted art in the oekaki weekly challenge board before? If so, how many times have you joined the challenge?:

Again, yes, I have. I do believe that I've posted a grand total of one entry?
I tried to do another weekly challenge, but the post wasn't made until a month and a half later. XD

3. Do you think that the oekaki challenge time limit (1 week) is enough time? If you think it's too short, how long do you think each challenge should last?:
I think the time limit is a bit too short. There are people who might have great ideas for the challenge, but simply don't have the time or speed to complete it in time.
I think that each challenge should last for two weeks, instead of one.

4. Do you think the old themes should be used again sometimes for people who missed them?:

No, since people who have done those themes wouldn't find it challenging enough.
Or, you could do old themes, but only after a long-ish period of time.

5. What do you think about the themes we've used so far? (some examples were to draw your fursona as another species, or to design a character inspired by the current season)

I like the ideas. c:
They're very original and stimulating.
In other words, they're definitely challenging.

6. If you're someone who uses the oekaki but doesn't use the weekly challenge board - tell us why you don't use it:

Usually, I don't have enough time, or I feel a bit dwarfed by the amazing entries that have already been posted.
░▐ ║
░▐ ║
░▐ ║
░▐ ║
░▐ ║
░▐ ║
░▐ ║
░▐ ║
░▐ ║
░▐ ║
░▐ ║
░▐ ║
░▐ ║
░▐ ║
░▐ ║
░▐ ║
░▐ ║
░▐ ║
║▐ ░
║▐ ░
║▐ ░
║▐ ░
║▐ ░
║▐ ░
║▐ ░
║▐ ░
║▐ ░
║▐ ░
║▐ ░
║▐ ░
║▐ ░
║▐ ░
║▐ ░
║▐ ░
║▐ ░
║▐ ░
I'll wither,
So peel away the bark.

'Cause nothing
Grows when it is dark.

Whoa-oh-oh oh
Cover your crystal eyes
And feel the tones
that tremble down your spine.

ImageXImage
Tea_Leaf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Expresso. » Wed May 07, 2014 6:34 pm

1. Have you ever posted art in any of the oekaki boards before?: Yes
2. Have you ever posted art in the oekaki weekly challenge board before? If so, how many times have you joined the challenge?: No
3. Do you think that the oekaki challenge time limit (1 week) is enough time? If you think it's too short, how long do you think each challenge should last?: No, I think one more week would be sufficient, because I tried doing the weekly challenge once, and I didn't end up finishing it, so I just posted it as a normal drawing
4. Do you think the old themes should be used again sometimes for people who missed them?: Maybe, but if you have already done the challenge, I guess it could be a bit harder to come up with another drawing for the same theme
5. What do you think about the themes we've used so far? (some examples were to draw your fursona as another species, or to design a character inspired by the current season) I like it! Very peculiar ideas and it is very interesting to see all the art
6. If you're someone who uses the oekaki but doesn't use the weekly challenge board - tell us why you don't use it: Because I didn't notice it at first, but I think I'm going to become more active now :D
My Characters | Trades | dA | Art Shop
ImageImageImage
I'm on a hiatus :'(
Expresso.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Hidden Insanity » Thu May 08, 2014 2:05 am

1. Have you ever posted art in any of the oekaki boards before?:
Yes. Not heaps but a little. (Doesn't help that my laptop is broken at the moment.)

2. Have you ever posted art in the oekaki weekly challenge board before? If so, how many times have you joined the challenge?:
Yes, once. There we a few times I started but never submitted anything too.

3. Do you think that the oekaki challenge time limit (1 week) is enough time? If you think it's too short, how long do you think each challenge should last?:
No, that's the problem I kept having (well now a broken laptop, but before that). 1 week was never enough time for me to flesh out an idea and get it drawn. Maybe 2 or 3 weeks would be better.

4. Do you think the old themes should be used again sometimes for people who missed them?:
Yes please! I'd love for some of them to come up again, even ones people have already done, it gives people a chance to improve or draw something different.

5. What do you think about the themes we've used so far? (some examples were to draw your fursona as another species, or to design a character inspired by the current season)
The ones I've seen have been fine. I'd love some one word ones though, things like Blue or Summer or Love. Just to see how people interpret that single word.

6. If you're someone who uses the oekaki but doesn't use the weekly challenge board - tell us why you don't use it:
N/A.
Amber & Chev

Extra animal eggs for trade ^
(Looking for the Steampunk items, if you've got a spare set PM me, thanks.)
Hidden Insanity

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ~Nonexistant » Thu May 08, 2014 6:25 am

2. Have you ever posted art in the oekaki weekly challenge board before? If so, how many times have you joined the challenge?: Yes, but only once

3. Do you think that the oekaki challenge time limit (1 week) is enough time? If you think it's too short, how long do you think each challenge should last?: 1 week should be good, but bumping it to 2 weeks would be a considerable idea.

4. Do you think the old themes should be used again sometimes for people who missed them?: Yes, but rarely. People who try to do all the challenges would get bored if you reuse too often.

5. What do you think about the themes we've used so far?: There are so many themes that can be used. The ones I've seen are fine, but I think suggestions from the public would be a good way to get fun themes.

6. If you're someone who uses the oekaki but doesn't use the weekly challenge board - tell us why you don't use it: I generally draw whatever I feel like drawing. The weekly challenges sort of 'think for me', and I feel my own creativity is limited sometimes. Though, sometimes I just don't have time to do the challenges that I want to do. Other times, I just don't like the theme.
~My characters have new homes now. This account will no longer be used; quit CS, probably for good.
((Eriecht given to my sister to take care of until further notice!!))
~Nonexistant

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Musical Neko » Thu May 08, 2014 9:51 am

cool stuff
Musical Neko

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ojoku » Thu May 08, 2014 12:54 pm

1. Have you ever posted art in any of the oekaki boards before?:
    Yeah ^-^ Unfortunately, my security now sees Oekaki as a threat so I'm unable to.
    I used to quite a bit, I wanted to do them all. I only posted four, however ^^"
    I thought it was enough time, but then there was always the problem of being stuck with a wip for the last theme... A month would be too long, however. Maybe around holidays and such the time would be two weeks since people with be busy? -shrug- I remember a week was definitely enough time for me and I would wish it would go faster for another challenge to come, but I do realize that a lot of people are very bust or take a lot of time on their work.
    Probably not, though maybe every week there could be the main theme and then a recycled theme as well, so that people could choose between or do both and not feel as though they missed out? That way people who do every one don't have to repeat.
    5. What do you think about the themes we've used so far?
    I liked some of them but I became lacking when it was things having to do with a fursona and things. I usually just used an oc for those times. But everyone obviously has different tastes, so I'm in favor of doing a wide variety of things.
    N/A
    ❥❥ OJOKU
    read, learn, travel
    teen nomad girl
    pro-love, pro-choice
came for the pets, stayed for the friends.
into everything about taking part in art
will update w links c: thanks for being' alive

ojoku

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby SplashofOrangeJuice » Thu May 08, 2014 3:26 pm

Have you ever posted art in any of the oekaki boards before?:
    Yes, and I enjoy doing so.
Have you ever posted art in the oekaki weekly challenge board before? If so, how many times have you joined the challenge?:
    I have a few times, 3 I believe.
Do you think that the oekaki challenge time limit (1 week) is enough time? If you think it's too short, how long do you think each challenge should last?:
    I do think it is sufficient for most users, but like many others I agree two weeks may be more efficient. Although I enjoy the variety, perhaps run two challenges at the same time through the two weeks? A simple suggestion, but as stated it would mean the continuation of many themes and that wouldn't be reduced. Also, from my experience I am usually only available for the weekend, during the week I have time constrains, and when I venture to the board the weekly challenge is coming to a close, and the next one isn't posted for a few days(at least earlier on. I'm unaware if that has gotten better.)
Do you think the old themes should be used again sometimes for people who missed them?:
    I would like that.
What do you think about the themes we've used so far? (some examples were to draw your fursona as another species, or to design a character inspired by the current season)
    So far I've enjoyed many of the themes I've seen, but there have been several I am just not in the mood to participate in, so it all depends I think.
If you're someone who uses the oekaki but doesn't use the weekly challenge board - tell us why you don't use it:
    Primarily it's a time and motivation issue. That, and the fact I forget to visit the board frequently.

starfin wrote:

I have a suggestion:

What if there were multiple challenges at once? Maybe three or so. It could be a month to be able to complete these challenges so you have time to do one, two, or even all if you felt like it.
And if you don't want to enter a challenge, you could enter in the other(s) if you wanted to instead of waiting a week for a new challenge.

Would anyone else support this?

I also support this idea, as I had one similar I mentioned above. <3
╔══════════════╗

░░░░░░░ ❚❚ ► ░░░░░░

kota // artist
🌵just your average art nerd🌵

my gallery.
my tumblr,

message me

*tumblr sometimes nsfw

╚══════════════╝
SplashofOrangeJuice

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby qwertyo » Thu May 08, 2014 4:02 pm

1. Have you ever posted art in any of the oekaki boards before?: Yep, I've been drawing on the oekaki boards ever for about 5 years now. I draw there almost every day, even if I don't post everything.

2. Have you ever posted art in the oekaki weekly challenge board before? If so, how many times have you joined the challenge?: Yeah, I drew for a challenge before. I've only entered once.

3. Do you think that the oekaki challenge time limit (1 week) is enough time? If you think it's too short, how long do you think each challenge should last?: This is kind of a hard one. We all put different amounts of effort and time into drawings. For me, I can draw in one sitting, but for some, they have to draw little by little every day. So, a week may be fine for some, but not others. But I feel like a week is already a fair amount of time though. Should it be increased, it'd have to be 2 weeks then, which seems pretty long, to me at least.

Sure, why not? I've seen some pretty interesting challenges before, but never really drew anything. I'd be nice to have that chance again.

5. What do you think about the themes we've used so far?
I like the themes! It looks like you guys really try to make us think outside the box and draw away from our comfort zone. My personal art motto is that you should always experiment when drawing!

6. If you're someone who uses the oekaki but doesn't use the weekly challenge board - tell us why you don't use it: Well, I drew a thing there once, but that's it. I guess the reason is because a majority of the themes don't really interest me, like the fursona/character ones, I don't really have any. I think it'd be pretty fun to see some themes where we're given a color palette and a subject to draw w/ it. Not too general of a theme, but not too constraining.
Who are you wrote:
Sol (or qwertyo!) ☀︎ She/Her ☀︎ PST time

Links wrote:

☀︎ Toyhou.se
☀︎ Deviantart
☀︎ Commissions
☀︎ ♫ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWER♫
qwertyo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby extra mayo » Thu May 08, 2014 4:21 pm

2. Have you ever posted art in the oekaki weekly challenge board before? If so, how many times have you joined the challenge?: yes I have, once
3. Do you think that the oekaki challenge time limit (1 week) is enough time? If you think it's too short, how long do you think each challenge should last?: I think the time limit is good
4. Do you think the old themes should be used again sometimes for people who missed them?: yes, but only the really old ones.
5. What do you think about the themes we've used so far? their really cool.
6. If you're someone who uses the oekaki but doesn't use the weekly challenge board - tell us why you don't use it: N/A
She waits upon the island now, a prisoner of the sea
extra mayo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Grotesquegore » Fri May 09, 2014 5:31 am

maybe be able to put oaikai in your signature by choice (im new i dont know much) like with the checkmarks instead of writing it in img !AWESOME AVATAR TESS I LIKE IT ALLOT MORE!
ImageImage
Grotesquegore

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me