An "Advanced" board has been added to the oekaki!

Announcements about events or changes to the website and forum

Re: An "Advanced" board has been added to the oekaki!

Postby tanner » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:10 am

I think that both Oofay's and gypsyannerstallion's drawings should be included as examples in advanced, as they are already moved there.
Imageby
I'm not active on CS anymore, but if it's important, PM me, although I can't promise I'll respond.
Outside of CS, I post my photography on Flickr and Pack.
tanner

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby PumpkinP » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:55 am

I don't mind using my art as examples :)
She is my candle,
Lighting me up,
Just like a Pumpkin glow,

Hey I'm PumpkinP, feel free to call my Pumpkin, or even Pumpkin Pie. Since I've always known I've lived with cats but I never knew that when my cat Leo died I could be so sad. Now I have Pumpkin, a rescue cat, who lit me up like a candle. I also live with my puppy Friday (who Pumpkin isn't so keen on) and my mum. I live in England and hope one day to be a writer and work for cats protection part time. Feel free to PM me I don't bite :)

ImageImageImage

PumpkinP

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby waterlilly111 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:04 am

I'd be happy to have you use my art as examples!

Okay, this may sound rude but I have read all of these posts, and it sounds like most of the people who are complaining are beginners. I posted in the beginners oekaki for a looong time, two years i think, and when i started drawing better, I just wanted to get more recognition in my artwork. I drew a snail a while back, and it maybe got two comments, I'm not even really sure, and I've got to admit it was my best drawing on here at that time, and i wanted more recognition so i posted in the intermediate, I got moved for my first few drawings that I posted, and then I drew the cardinal. That was my one and only feature, but with all of that positive feed back I just loved it, so I set a goal to draw these realistic pictures, and I've got to say I'm Happy with this new division, but I'm not sure if the mods are letting in what deserves to be in it. I drew a lion and it was one of the best pictures I've drawn and I posted it there, then it got moved to intermediate, and when it was there, three or four people said it should be in advanced. Plus, I haven't seen much anime or cartoony-style in there, and I know there are many anime artists that feel intimidated by Photo-realistic artist like me, Oofay, GypsyVannerStallion, etc so I think that there should be a beginners Oekaki, for the people who are just starting to learn how to draw, for the younger people on CS, but then, instead of intermediate or advanced, there should be different categories. Maybe there should be: anime, realism, commissions, MLP, comics, abstract and other topics like those that put them into categories instead of skill level. A lot of people are saying that when they try to post in intermediate they get bumped down to beginners and get discouraged. I did too, But knowing that, I knew I wasn't ready, so I just kept trying, and... Look at where I am now. You can take a look at my gallery. My first picture that I drew. It was pathetic. I have to admit. but that was two years ago and I know that things like this take time, and maybe, if you want to take things to another level, you have to commit, buy a tablet, draw a lot, take art lesson, do whatever you can, just don't give up, because you might end up posting in the intermediate, or even advanced as a regular, instead of taking a chance. Don't give up, but please don't complain about it, thanks.
waterlilly111

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby PumpkinP » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:33 pm

waterlilly111 wrote:I'd be happy to have you use my art as examples!

Okay, this may sound rude but I have read all of these posts, and it sounds like most of the people who are complaining are beginners. I posted in the beginners oekaki for a looong time, two years i think, and when i started drawing better, I just wanted to get more recognition in my artwork. I drew a snail a while back, and it maybe got two comments, I'm not even really sure, and I've got to admit it was my best drawing on here at that time, and i wanted more recognition so i posted in the intermediate, I got moved for my first few drawings that I posted, and then I drew the cardinal. That was my one and only feature, but with all of that positive feed back I just loved it, so I set a goal to draw these realistic pictures, and I've got to say I'm Happy with this new division, but I'm not sure if the mods are letting in what deserves to be in it. I drew a lion and it was one of the best pictures I've drawn and I posted it there, then it got moved to intermediate, and when it was there, three or four people said it should be in advanced. Plus, I haven't seen much anime or cartoony-style in there, and I know there are many anime artists that feel intimidated by Photo-realistic artist like me, Oofay, GypsyVannerStallion, etc so I think that there should be a beginners Oekaki, for the people who are just starting to learn how to draw, for the younger people on CS, but then, instead of intermediate or advanced, there should be different categories. Maybe there should be: anime, realism, commissions, MLP, comics, abstract and other topics like those that put them into categories instead of skill level. A lot of people are saying that when they try to post in intermediate they get bumped down to beginners and get discouraged. I did too, But knowing that, I knew I wasn't ready, so I just kept trying, and... Look at where I am now. You can take a look at my gallery. My first picture that I drew. It was pathetic. I have to admit. but that was two years ago and I know that things like this take time, and maybe, if you want to take things to another level, you have to commit, buy a tablet, draw a lot, take art lesson, do whatever you can, just don't give up, because you might end up posting in the intermediate, or even advanced as a regular, instead of taking a chance. Don't give up, but please don't complain about it, thanks.

I agree with you, I myself have only been on CS for a few weeks but I've straight away set up an art shop and doing an oekaki at least everyday, I've also been entering into contests. Just try and practice more and your art will get better, some day you'll be in advanced. I'm not trying to show off here but my second or third oekaki (can't keep track XP) got moved into intermediate. And this was because I kept on practicing. First on paper. Then I watched a few videos how to draw fur (to be honest they didn't help but if you go on youtube loads of free art lessons will come up), I asked criticism from my mum and then lastly I actually did it on Oekaki. It's just about practice. Even if it takes years. One day you'll get into Advanced.
She is my candle,
Lighting me up,
Just like a Pumpkin glow,

Hey I'm PumpkinP, feel free to call my Pumpkin, or even Pumpkin Pie. Since I've always known I've lived with cats but I never knew that when my cat Leo died I could be so sad. Now I have Pumpkin, a rescue cat, who lit me up like a candle. I also live with my puppy Friday (who Pumpkin isn't so keen on) and my mum. I live in England and hope one day to be a writer and work for cats protection part time. Feel free to PM me I don't bite :)

ImageImageImage

PumpkinP

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby DaDwarf » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:47 am

Just wanted to point out that not everybody that voiced their opinions on this matter was A) complaining or B) a beginer artist c: some people just dont use oekaki that much for their art ^.^ and people have the right to disagree with this change just as you have the right to agree with it! keep that in mind before you jump to conclusions.

-not directed at anybody, just pointing it out as ive seen some provoking posts being made. Keep it polite xD-
DaDwarf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby zelay » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:18 am

Everybody who is complaining that they can't be 'good enough' now,
You should understand that the advanced artists spent years perfecting their work and making it worthy of being there, you don't become an amazing artist overnight. And I don't understand why you absolutely HAVE to be 'good enough' or the best artist on here. It's time you understood that there will always be somebody better than you, but you can always try your best and improve.
Sorry if I am sounding rude, but I'm getting a little offended from certain PM's.
█████ ███████████████
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Lights are Currently OFF
Treated| 37 Received| 8
▬▬▬▬ ▬▬▬▬ ▬▬▬▬
Image Image Image Image
▬▬▬▬ ▬▬▬▬ ▬▬▬▬
I am extremely busy with school
and sports. You might not find me as
active :c

zelay

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cmichb » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:52 am

This will surely make everything a lot more helpful. :)
hi n' stuff.
cmichb

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby supernovacity » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:55 am

Whether or not the change was intended to hurt beginning artists it can and it will.
I felt so confident when i posted my first intermediate, and i was instantly bombarded with "this doesn't belong here" and i did get constructive responses, but not very many. I lurk is the sketches and experiments forum now because it's where i feel comfortable posting because people do red lines, and criticize fairly in the sketches and experiments forum. I believe it should be organized by style rather than skill.
Let me rephrase that.
You could have a sketches area for work in progress sketches or red lines or something like that.
And a realism side for realistic art, cartoony for cartoony art, and a general board that is for all styles, and things of that sort.
By doing this i just feel like lots of artists, like myself, will feel like it's just another board full of artists who can do better than them.

My comments are in Blue
Cherry wrote:
Cherry wrote:
Advanced art is to make a place for art that tends to outshine the real intermediate art, so now you can see the real 'middle artists'! Outshines? That just makes it look like it's way better, albeit it could be, but that just seems like another reason why you buy a photo rather than a Picasso because it is realistic, because it's a photo.

think of this as your chance! A big break!
you are a real artist. (Yes, beginners, that includes you. [Please note I'm a beginner as well.])
And every single real artist deserves in there too. It only takes time.even if it's a scribble someone's a real artist. However by the advanced boards standards not every real artist will make it in there without drawing things that look like photos, which is all i've been seeing in the advanced board from what i've looked at.

Bovidae wrote:...
The categories are not in place to degrade artists
If your ego is not extremely inflated you should be able to tell if your art belongs in intermediate or beginners or whateverWell i must have a huge ego. I have trouble because i see my art as lesser or not good enough. Does that mean i have an inflated ego?
The beginner boards are great actually! You can show off your skills and PRACTICE without having to be overwhelmed by a ton of art that is better than yours. I said it, yes, THERE WILL ALWAYS BE ART THAT IS BETTER THAN YOURS AND THAT'S OKAY!!!It is okay, however as a new and upcoming artist i felt like i would never be where i am now, because i got completly ignored. You should use that fact as a tool to improve. Don't just sit around feeling sorry for yourself. That's not cool you guys.

So if you're offended by these boards please step back and remember that there will always be better artists than you; there is no need to be discouraged by this. Use this as a learning experience!

Won't waste more tears on yesteryears
───════════════◈════════════───
ImageImage
nova - she/he/they
icon - pixels

───════════════◈════════════───
Instead we'll carry on
supernovacity

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lady Yunalesca » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:18 am

More I hear about this change, the less I care. I stick all my art in S&E because that seems to be the only 'middle ground.'
But please, do not list everyone off the disagrees with the change as a complainer or a beginner artist.
I would hardly call myself a beginner or a complainer and I did disagree with this change.

We are told to remember the idea, not the man, because a man can fail. He can be caught, he can be killed and forgotten, but 400 years later, an idea can still change the world.
- Evey, V for Vendetta
Voila! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin van-guarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it is my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V. And you would be?
- V, V for Vendetta
Lady Yunalesca

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby tinydoodles » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:07 am

Kiwi In A Bottle wrote:Whether or not the change was intended to hurt beginning artists it can and it will.
I felt so confident when i posted my first intermediate, and i was instantly bombarded with "this doesn't belong here" and i did get constructive responses, but not very many. I lurk is the sketches and experiments forum now because it's where i feel comfortable posting because people do red lines, and criticize fairly in the sketches and experiments forum. I believe it should be organized by style rather than skill.
Let me rephrase that.
You could have a sketches area for work in progress sketches or red lines or something like that.
And a realism side for realistic art, cartoony for cartoony art, and a general board that is for all styles, and things of that sort.
By doing this i just feel like lots of artists, like myself, will feel like it's just another board full of artists who can do better than them.

I, personally, don't mind terribly what board my art is placed in, but I do completely agree with sorting the art by style rather than skill level. I posted several pages back pointing out how the advanced board guidelines make it very difficult to get more cartoony art in. it wasn't really addressed, and I won't quote it, but I just said that more cartoony art does not necessarily have
Tess wrote:-Very detailed drawings and intricate designs
(which is rarely seen in cartoony styles) but the detail has nothing to do with effort or skill. On my most recent oekaki I did a sort of hatching pattern in the background, which seems to appear very difficult and takes a lot of skill but in reality it was just tedious and very simple to do. This, I think, applies to a lot of things pertaining to the differences in cartoony and realistic styles. The difference between a drawing in intermediate and advanced might be the addition of some rougher lines to change a soft shaded look to a "realistic" one.
Basically what I'm saying is that there are so many more factors than style that go into effort and skill, and I agree wholeheartedly with sorting art by style. (it would also make art easier to find, in my opinion, and give beginners more exposure since people won't pass up the beginner board to look at more "detailed" or "advanced" drawings)
Code: Select all
                                              *                                 *
          *     __                   *
   *        ,db'                                                *                     *
          ,d8/        *                                               *
          `db\            *                               *
            `o`_                    *                                              *
                                  _                ___       _.--.
          *                       \`.|\..----...-'`   `-._.-'_.-'`
                *                 /  ' `         ,       __.--'
       *                          )/' _/     \   `-_,   /
                                  `-'" `"\_  ,_.-;_.-\_ ',
//---\/---------__--/-------\\-------- _.-'_./----{_.' ; /----\//--v-----//---\/---------__--/-----
                                     {_.-``-'         {_/

tinydoodles

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me