Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!

Click here to see the full Art Rules!
Need help using the Oekaki? Check out this Guide to the Oekaki!

2/3 by qwertyo

Artist qwertyo [gallery]
Time spent 2 hours, 35 minutes
Drawing sessions 1
81 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

2/3

Postby qwertyo » Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:04 pm

wanted to study and practice some snow before doing a larger snowy piece. top right is a super experimental thing where I was wondering if I could add a bunch of colors to the snow while having it still mostly read as snow. idk how I feel about it lol

it can be intimidating/overwhelming trying to paint a full scene, especially when it's an environment you're not too familiar with, so practicing the individual elements of it first (in this case, snowy rocks and foliage) on a smaller scale can help a lot and give you more confidence in tackling larger backgrounds
Who are you wrote:
Sol (or qwertyo!) ☀︎ She/Her ☀︎ PST time

Links wrote:

☀︎ Toyhou.se
☀︎ Deviantart
☀︎ Commissions
☀︎ ♫ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWER♫
qwertyo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: 2/3

Postby IceFire » Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:30 pm

Love this any tips that you might have learned
IceFire

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby qwertyo » Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:53 pm

IceFire wrote:Love this any tips that you might have learned

hm, I'm not sure if they'll be helpful lol, but here's some things:

- in general, snow is pretty one tone. it really is just white (or grey/blue/etc., depending on your time of day/color scheme you're using) in mostly a single value. basically, snow can be drawn as just patches of plain color with not too much variation, for the most part. whether it be on top of rocks or trees. tbh this makes it one of the easiest things to draw lol, you don't have to deal with a bunch of colors and variation like grass and dirt

- unless it's freshly fallen snow in a large untouched open field, there's usually various things in nature that'll break up the snow! it's not just white and nothing else. oftentimes there will be grass/sticks/trees/rocks poking out from the snow. and various things under the snow giving it a "bumpy" appearance (and thus shadows are being cast) or the wind blowing it/creatures stepping in the snow creating various holes and melted areas. keeping these things in mind when creating winter landscapes can help make the scene feel more lively.

- uhhh for the top right pic I really just added a bunch of colors that are really close in value to make the snow multi-color. here's what it looks like in grayscale:

despite there being pinks/blues/yellows/greens in there, they're all similar in value and thus read as "one thing" (the thing being the snow in this case)
Who are you wrote:
Sol (or qwertyo!) ☀︎ She/Her ☀︎ PST time

Links wrote:

☀︎ Toyhou.se
☀︎ Deviantart
☀︎ Commissions
☀︎ ♫ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWER♫
qwertyo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Nero1007 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:50 am

All of it looks so good! Especially the upper right snow
She/Her
If I win any raffles or bid the highest on a character auction please message me or something because it’s highly likely I won’t end up seeing it
Check out my free base!
Forum/viewtopic.php?t=4731505
And my current adopts:
Forum/viewtopic.php?t=4774726
Forum/viewtopic.php?t=4661052
Forum/viewtopic.php?t=4678273
Forum/viewtopic.php?t=4680273
I’ll always accept gifts from my wishlist! Also trade me please!
Trade Group: accounts/viewgroup.php?groupid=7234101&userid=1007517
ImageImageImageImage Image
Nero1007

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby IceFire » Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:33 am

qwertyo wrote:
IceFire wrote:Love this any tips that you might have learned

hm, I'm not sure if they'll be helpful lol, but here's some things:

- in general, snow is pretty one tone. it really is just white (or grey/blue/etc., depending on your time of day/color scheme you're using) in mostly a single value. basically, snow can be drawn as just patches of plain color with not too much variation, for the most part. whether it be on top of rocks or trees. tbh this makes it one of the easiest things to draw lol, you don't have to deal with a bunch of colors and variation like grass and dirt

- unless it's freshly fallen snow in a large untouched open field, there's usually various things in nature that'll break up the snow! it's not just white and nothing else. oftentimes there will be grass/sticks/trees/rocks poking out from the snow. and various things under the snow giving it a "bumpy" appearance (and thus shadows are being cast) or the wind blowing it/creatures stepping in the snow creating various holes and melted areas. keeping these things in mind when creating winter landscapes can help make the scene feel more lively.

- uhhh for the top right pic I really just added a bunch of colors that are really close in value to make the snow multi-color. here's what it looks like in grayscale:

despite there being pinks/blues/yellows/greens in there, they're all similar in value and thus read as "one thing" (the thing being the snow in this case)

Thank you that actually made sense for me. I would have never thought about the bumpy parts cause of what was underneath just drifts from the wind. Thank you 💙
IceFire

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Adamented » Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:56 am

I think these all turned out gorgeous!

I will say, I think having the snow in the top right reflect specifically colors in the adjacent area might make it feel less... Supernatural. Like blues and deep unsaturated purples, slightly brown toned greys, and desat greens reflected from the sky, foliage, and bare bark around.

Mind you, I really can't paint digitally that well so I'm sure you have a better idea than I would for these things. I don't know why, I have a good handle on painting traditionally, but I can't seem to wrap my head around digital painting x.x

[ ABOUT ]

Ada
          AdamAddie
          he / she / they

✦ ✦ ✦
          [ MY STUFF ]
          ImageImageImage
          discord: @adamented

[ LINKS ]
          ImageImage
Adamented

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby IceFire » Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:22 pm

Adamented wrote:I think these all turned out gorgeous!

I will say, I think having the snow in the top right reflect specifically colors in the adjacent area might make it feel less... Supernatural. Like blues and deep unsaturated purples, slightly brown toned greys, and desat greens reflected from the sky, foliage, and bare bark around.

Mind you, I really can't paint digitally that well so I'm sure you have a better idea than I would for these things. I don't know why, I have a good handle on painting traditionally, but I can't seem to wrap my head around digital painting x.x

I found I struggled digitally because when I blended it didn't blend how traditional paints would and thus my struggle till I set aside that thought. I also had to get a tablet that I could see what I was drawing as well cause I couldn't compute on a black tablet to show up on the screen on my laptop
IceFire

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Adamented » Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:46 am

IceFire wrote:
Adamented wrote:-snip-

I found I struggled digitally because when I blended it didn't blend how traditional paints would and thus my struggle till I set aside that thought. I also had to get a tablet that I could see what I was drawing as well cause I couldn't compute on a black tablet to show up on the screen on my laptop

What kind of tablet do you use, if I can ask?

I myself just bought a replacement Intuos Pro M about... last year? Two years ago? Or so. I have a hard time with not seeing the screen on my tablet as well, but I tested some of the screen tablets they had on display and didn't really like the glassy feel so I've been on the fence about switching.

Definitely blending is a huge barrier for me, something I could probably iron out with practice but I just get very... TwT self-conscious while digital painting and don't often finish anything "painted".

[ ABOUT ]

Ada
          AdamAddie
          he / she / they

✦ ✦ ✦
          [ MY STUFF ]
          ImageImageImage

[ LINKS ]
          ImageImage
Adamented

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby IceFire » Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:48 pm

Adamented wrote:
IceFire wrote:
Adamented wrote:-snip-

What kind of tablet do you use, if I can ask?

I myself just bought a replacement Intuos Pro M about... last year? Two years ago? Or so. I have a hard time with not seeing the screen on my tablet as well, but I tested some of the screen tablets they had on display and didn't really like the glassy feel so I've been on the fence about switching.

Definitely blending is a huge barrier for me, something I could probably iron out with practice but I just get very... TwT self-conscious while digital painting and don't often finish anything "painted".

great question so I went on amazon and found xp pen artist 13.3 pro around christmas time as it was on sale. They are a bit pricy at nearly 300. the only issues i have had with it were me having to go in manually to fix the screen settings so that it was seperate from my main screen and it sometimes using the tablet as the sound input for like netflix or discord when i first got it up and running. I love the pen pressure on it and how it coulds with a stand so if i dont want it on my lap i can have it on my desk for easy access.
IceFire

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Adamented » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:55 pm

IceFire wrote:-snip-

great question so I went on amazon and found xp pen artist 13.3 pro around christmas time as it was on sale. They are a bit pricy at nearly 300. the only issues i have had with it were me having to go in manually to fix the screen settings so that it was seperate from my main screen and it sometimes using the tablet as the sound input for like netflix or discord when i first got it up and running. I love the pen pressure on it and how it coulds with a stand so if i dont want it on my lap i can have it on my desk for easy access.

Do you find that there were any color-calibration issues with it? ie, looking at the art on the tablet screen being different from viewing the final image on a computer or phone screen. I know that's a common problem with some brands.

[ ABOUT ]

Ada
          AdamAddie
          he / she / they

✦ ✦ ✦
          [ MY STUFF ]
          ImageImageImage

[ LINKS ]
          ImageImage
Adamented

My pets