[IMPLEMENTED] Mark store pets as store pets

Suggest new features or changes to Chicken Smoothie.

Support or no support?

Store pet markers similar to PPS pet markers (image tag, FAQ link)
73%
Separate archives for store pets
18%
Other
1%
No support for any change; keep things the way they are now
8%

Total votes : 300

Re: Now that we have an OMGSR store pet

Postby Wookieinmashoo » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:38 pm

WASSAP wrote:Can you prove with certainty that re-releasing old store pets (we are talking very small quantities here) will remove all incentives to buy them in the first place?

People keep bringing this up and I don't understand why. The December 18th re release doesn't kill people's incentives to get a certain pet just because there are more of it. I would jump to the chance for some of the store pets because I want the pet. I don't care if it's "valuable" or not.

What I was thinking was something similar to the number system listed on the front page. Basically there would be a rare chance (as rare as it needs to be) to get a specific ticket from the December 18th box (just to use it as an example). This ticket could be taken to a special page in the store to be exchanged (along with the C$ amount) for the pet the ticket coincides with. If a person doesn't want to get the C$ for the pet, then they can trade the ticket. The problem with this is that there would be new rare items floating around.

I also think the original prices of the pets would be kept intact. The main argument I see against this is that they're more valuable now than they were and it would only be fair to charge a higher amount of C$. The price of C$ hasn't changed though or at least I don't think it has. I'm trying to think of a way to word this so I'll try my best.
I don't think it's fair to compare monthly release pets to Store pets, but it's okay to compare them to their own situations. The monthly pets can be re released for free because they were originally free. One person may buy C$ to pay for a list pet they want. They may spend a lot of time working to get it only to see someone get one with a few button clicks on December 18th. This does not undermine the value of the work the first person put into getting the pet. A person can put in a lot of work and real money for any pet on the site.

I only have a few store list pets but I would not be upset if there is a chance for someone to get them again. I don't know if any of this makes sense; I just got off of work and tried reading up before I posted.

EDIT:
For the above post. I have seen people looking for the rainbow smoothie and the chicken-o items.
Wookieinmashoo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re:

Postby DaDwarf » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:22 pm

Beemo wrote:
nickjr wrote:What if we booted the store pets from the archives? Or at least removed the "add to wishlist" thing. Are people not hunting for stuff like the Rainbow Smoothie or the Vampiric chicken art contest (??) items to consider their item collection complete (unless they're super hardcore players)? (I honestly don't know; please answer me) These items are not in the archive. Maybe we should treat store pets the same. But since they're super duper abundant and--unlike custom pets, the Rainbow Smoothie, the aforementioned chicken items, and (to some extent) the DIY birthday cake--NOT originally exclusive to a (certain set of) user(s), we could still include them in the archive.
I could stand behind this, as long as there is some way for people to see what Store Pets there are. Maybe a thread or something? There's a thread for customs, so it could be similar to that.

Also, about the Rainbow Smoothie and Vampiric Birthday Hat, no I don't think people actively hunt for them.

Boop viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2954444

I would def be pro remove em from the archives. If they were meant as a token then they shouldnt go towards a complete collection! Maybe a special kind of archive with just them in it?

I havent recently seen anyone activly hunting for the custom items, only back when they were released. I dont consider them to be part of the item collection because they arent in the archives. Just as i dont consider one of a kind customs to be part of the collection lol but there will alwyas be the odd one out that wants to add those to their collection. I wouldnt oppose to a smoothie myself if it was offered haha

I just wanted to add that if you rerelease these pets at an insanly high price, you are not only setting value for the pet (those who already had the pet would be dumb to resell it for anything less the store sells it at) but you are also 'making the rich richer'. Lets say its a random roll and only some people will be able to buy it with c$. How many people have large quantities of c$? If the 'resell' value is at like 1000c$ to 'maintain worth' (and set pet worth for already existing pets, thats worth a non.), how many people will actually be able to buy one? I mean ive got almost 4000c$, but i also already have like 5 skeleton bunnies that i gathered up back in the day. If i got a random roll, would i even be interested in decreasing the value of the pets i already have?

Con of removing them from the archives: people treating them like customs and demanding even more overpay.

The influence of the rarity tag is something that always happens on cs. Ive had a skelebun in my trades for two years. Hardly ever a trade on it. Since the switch, 10 offers. Im not even advertising i have one (or more). Most offers are 'underpay' of what i would consider fair for an omgsorare store pet, its just the 'shiny new rarity tag must get pet' rush! It is something that happens every year when something goes up in rarity, people try to make a fast profit. Ur malk anyone?

@wookie, the price of c$ has most def changed! Back when theres store pets came out only a handfull of people were able to buy c$. C$ wasnt even tradeable yet. I wasnt allowed to spend money on a website and it took me months, if not years, to get the first store pets. But by the time c$ was tradeable i could do easily obtain it that ive always had around 5k on hand just in case theres a store pet i like. C$s sell value on cs itself has def been lowered, more people have access to it, more people are buying it and more people are trading it!

Man back when i was going for a complete item collection i remember writing out whole lists of what people had to buy for me from the store in exchange for pets! There even was a whole 'refund' function when you bought items for a trade and your trade partner backed out on ya leaving you stuck with the items. C$ was worth anyones time back in the day, now you can get it so easily lol
DaDwarf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Solloby » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:41 pm

I hunted for the Rainbow Smoothie about 2 years ago, I think it was? I couldn't find any for trade so eventually gave up. It would have been nice to have but it was far too much effort trying to track down the tiny amount that are around, and I think I found 2-3 users who had them and weren't trading them so I figured there was simply zero supply of them. A wild goose chase, so to speak.

I did see a Chicken O's Flag change hands recently though, as in this year.

Regarding store pets, I don't really know what to think. I have all of the store pets and wouldn't be upset if they were rereleased, though I did trade for mine years ago rather than buying as I wasn't active during 09/10.

I don't think store pets should be removed from the archives, as people may need them for wishlisting and trading. The DIY Cake set is in the archives and there's only about 560 of them on the site. That's not many at all compared to the number of active users, and items don't move around as much as pets so they are more likely to wind up on inactive accounts. I wouldn't be opposed to store pets being moved to a separate category in the archives at the same level as year rather than a subcategory of year if that makes sense, but I don't really have a strong opinion about moving them there versus leaving them where they are currently.
Solloby
I take care of the CS archives and
sometimes submit pet/item designs.

Characters :: Artwork

Help
You can find Help in the main navigation menu.
If your question or problem is not answered there, please use the Help System.
I am not a mod and cannot help you so please don't PM me for site help.
Solloby
Archivist

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Aaron✦ » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:15 pm

I'm also pro remove them from the archives. (How would this affect the list?)
    We couldn't have them sold for the original price as that's way below their worth, and we couldn't have them sold for more as that's unfair to newer users. The only way I see fit to keep the game fair for everyone involved is by putting them on the separate "supporter" tier that they were originally intended.

@Solloby I like the idea and can see the flaws with outright removing them, but I'm not sure that the pets just being in a separate category would communicate that they're not part of a "complete collection" sufficiently? DD's separate archive might be better in that regard.
    Only downside there is that I can easily see players who don't understand why they're being moved becoming frustrated at not being able to add pets to their wishlist that they could before.

x
x

[
x
x

1 pet to go!icon
need help?guidesfor newbies

he/xey - no they/them
Image Image Image

x
x

]
Aaron✦
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby marmoris » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:10 am

I don't support removing store pets from the archives..
Many people have things like the Raven dog or drink/eat me dogs as Dream pets. Do you realize how hard it would be to find ones unlocked? The user would have to dig through lots of groups (depending on the person they are trading w/ and how many groups they have) or through hundreds of pages of pets in a single rare+ group or something since some people just pile up anything above rare in a group. 0 support.

I know the store pets are "incentive" I guess, but I actually want a full set of store pets... and if they are removed from the archives it will become next to impossible for me & many others to find them. People will treat them like chicken flags, thinking they are semi-custom and worth PILES more than they currently are.
i am consistently inactive, i come and go as i please for monthly adopts and events. i rarely respond to trades unless im looking for something.
marmoris

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby 'Possum » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:14 am

If they will never be re released eventually all store pets will be unobtainable. As they're left to rot on dead accounts.

I'm all for removing them from the archives for this reason.

I have, however, also spent countless hundreds of dollars on purchasing store pets from the store...

All the way back to the first store pets.

Personally, I have no problem with them being re released in some way.

Everybody is saying that re releasing store pets would be unfair to people who bought them with CS originally.

BUT HAS ANYONE EVER ACTUALLY ASKED THE PEOPLE WHO ORIGINALLY BOUGHT THOSE PETS FROM THE CS STORE?

As far as those having a problem about them being re released because of what they paid for them recently... they're in the same category as any other valuable pet that's re released.

Am I mad because someone just got a free UR Tiger on Dec 18th when I paid five Zebras and three rainbow manes for the last one I traded for?

NO that would be childish and selfish and silly. That's what dec 18th is all about! Getting old pets back into circulation.
'Possum

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Shian » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:41 am

'Possum wrote:
Everybody is saying that re releasing store pets would be unfair to people who bought them with CS originally.

BUT HAS ANYONE EVER ACTUALLY ASKED THE PEOPLE WHO ORIGINALLY BOUGHT THOSE PETS FROM THE CS STORE?

I guess I'm just a dead fish then. Had 5 of the original Cerberus and 2 of the bunny iirr.

Here's an interesting question for you. What exactly would you do about the giant gap in values? A Cerberus was $60. Now store pets are 20 each. So what's that bonus pet worth? The Cheshire Cat for example.

I like the idea of removing the store pets from the archive for completeness sake but I can't support it because I do buy multiple copies of pets to trade or give away. It would be a royal pain in the tail to try to quietly find someone that wants them.

I would support thier own section of the archive if they could be put on a separate wishlist. Different star color maybe?
ImageImage
Come buy old rare pets in bulk for gems!
Shian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby PikaPerfect » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:18 am

Shian wrote:I would support thier own section of the archive if they could be put on a separate wishlist. Different star color maybe?

This was my biggest complaint. I support removing them from the archives, but I'd still like them to be available on a wishlist. This seems like a very good idea c:
call me pika - he/him - gay - i like cats, pokemon, and genshin impact
sorry if i don't respond to your DM, random messages give me anxiety 😎✌
The summoning gif worked :)
PikaPerfect

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby FreddyCenobite » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:29 am

I'd have to side with taking them out of the archives for completeness sake as the older they get the harder they are to find. I understand not many users were around in 2009 - at least compared to today where there's hundreds online at a time - so not as many are in circulation, but to try for a complete set with old store pets... you're lucky to find anything once they leave the store! They're essentially dipped in pure silver or gold the second they leave the shop; yesterday alone I paid $5 USD for the sitting robot cats from '14. $5 gets me an advent list pet, and they're too new to even be on the bottom of that list.

And also, once they hit the list or begin to be discussed for the list, they're even harder to find. My Arabian set, $10 USD, which gets me a September list. They're bottom advent. Basically if the set is popular, even while in store it's not easy to find without just donating and buying directly.

I understand why CS has pets in the store, but I think they should be treated as novelties since in some ways they are novelties. When they're in the archive you must find them to achieve a whole CS set, and unless you halt the greed people have with them, there's very few ways they'll be fairly found once they're out of the store. I began buying store sets in 2012, so every single one I have older than the blue alien dog I had to overpay for. It took 2 years to get the complete gryphon set alone. The only reason newer ones are easier to find is because everyone figured this out and bought in bulk if they could. I admit it I do it, too!

And lastly, consider them the CS summer events. Once they (the events) leave, they aren't coming back unless the staff revives a litter for a second gen set. Egypt will never come back. Medieval fair isn't coming back. Sucrose city won't come back. It's a two-three week event, and the second it's gone, it's gone forever and everything from it becomes a novelty or mini treasure item. That's basically the store pets summed up.
Basic info:
Pet of the moment:

Disabled adult She/Her Dog mom Ex-retiree
Movie geek Horror fan Halloween lover
My hoards Trade thread Offsite thread
My FRHow close I am to a full CS set
RIP my little butthead ♥️
CS TikoMy Tiko

If I haven’t responded to offer(s), it means I’m thinking
Last half of my user: Sen-uh-bite (send without the “d”)
Prefer no random PMs unless it's about offers
FreddyCenobite

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .zombie » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:47 am

calcium wrote:I actually have two points-

1. The C$ price should be much higher than the original release price, simply because they're older pets. There's nothing at all wrong with some people not being able to afford the older list pets, I think if everyone could get one that pet's value would go way down. So what if some people can't afford to get them, isn't that the point of the price being higher? And there is a thing called trading.

2. They shouldn't be rerelased at all. Store pets are special, they aren't like regular adopts like sun pups or moon pups were, so why rerelease them? Just because people like to complain about something they don't have. Even if the old store pets do become unobtainable, oh well. Even as some of them find forever homes, whether it be due to greed, or just that person likes that particular pet, I still don't think they should be rereleased.

I agree with the second point made. Store pets are not rereleased for a reason- they are very very hard to obtain, making them very special to the game. Yes, some users store them away and whatever but thats their decision. If the store pets do not get rereleased, then their worth with rise with ease in the next few years. This is basically the point of store pets. If they get rereleased, obtaining them wont be a challenge like it was when there were few in circulation. Wouldnt this get boring overtime?Knowing that you can obtain a pet from scamming another newbie or user is very frightening to me [i see this happening too much on december 18th]
Obtaining store pets are supposed to be very hard, especially those from 09 and 10. Its supposed to be a challenge.

To sum this up, i oppose the idea of even rereleasing one skelebun. We should preserve the uniqueness of these hard to find store pets, making it harder and more challenging to add these pets into your collection.
Tess || She/ Her || Teen

Hello! My name is Tess. I love zombies!! and everything about em!!
I like trading and gifting, so feel free to send a trade!

Trade with me!!
HQ Character Trade Thread!!
.zombie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me