Enter pin when accepting trading!

Suggest new features or changes to Chicken Smoothie.

Re: Enter pin when accepting trading!

Postby Paprikat » Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:59 pm

support ^^
Paprikat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby bug » Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:48 pm

no support. i understand the sentiment but even if this was implemented it seems pointless? why would you need to enter a pin to accept the trade. it doesn't stop people from giving away pets from hacked accounts that are not theirs. it doesn't stop access them from accessing pets and trading them. it just becomes more cumbersome for people to accept trades if they have it enabled. it would make more sense to have this pin for when you start up a trade, but still it seems useless on older accounts that lack a set pin. the hacker can just get in and set it to whatever. either way the problem isn't about trades, it's about compromised accounts and how easy it seems to be able to just get into them.
    having 2fa on sign in would be a better option, because it actually limits people from getting into accounts. another option is that old, inactive accounts get 'locked' so that you much go through cs staff to reinstate the account. this adds a layer of human confirmation, possibly cutting down on the number of hacks.
    i don't hate the idea, i wouldn't care if it were added but i wouldn't use it. overall it just seems pointless and flimsy at best.

CRY MY NAME, REMIND MY x
███████ BRAIN OF MY IDENTITY;

██
██
🪳; bug/mech he/it
.xxxwrmz / song ﹒🧪
██ th @ wyrmples !
█████
█████

.xx
I'M NOT GONNA LISTEN, ███████
I'M NOT MY VOLITION !!!
bug

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby sapphipop » Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:29 am

while i appreciate the sentiment and agree that new security protocol needs to be put in place (which nick said he's working on), i feel like this suggestion would be far too tedious especially for players who trade a lot. to have to put in a pin everytime you accept a trade would be frustrating and there's still a chance of that pin being compromised as well. i agree with the 2fa authentication that many people have brought up, so i don't think we would need anymore protocols that might not benefit everyone in the long-run if 2fa is put in place.
rissa | she/her
sapphipop

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Darni » Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:36 am

creepbyradiohead wrote:while i appreciate the sentiment and agree that new security protocol needs to be put in place (which nick said he's working on), i feel like this suggestion would be far too tedious especially for players who trade a lot. to have to put in a pin everytime you accept a trade would be frustrating and there's still a chance of that pin being compromised as well. i agree with the 2fa authentication that many people have brought up, so i don't think we would need anymore protocols that might not benefit everyone in the long-run if 2fa is put in place.

Hello I'd like to remind you to please read the edits. I have taken the liberty to quote them for you

Darni wrote:Edit: The pin would be optional for people who don't want 2FA or want something within the site specifically so they don't have to open up something on phone or anything like that

Darni wrote:Edit 2: This would not be for editting trades or starting edittable trades. This would be for ACCEPTING the trades. If you select "Ask them to accept the trade" when you start / begin / first send a trade then it will prompt you with a pin. So you could edit and suggest back and forth without putting a pin in.

Gonna also add this in big letters

ONE OPTIONAL METHOD FOR SECURITY IS NICE BUT MULTIPLE OPTIONS AND WAYS TO PROTECT YOUR ACCOUNT ARE BETTER. SETTLING FOR ONE THING ISN'T NECESSARY
Last edited by Darni on Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Please do not trade with me to add to major hoards"

Darni

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Darni » Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:38 am

mech wrote:
    no support. i understand the sentiment but even if this was implemented it seems pointless? why would you need to enter a pin to accept the trade. it doesn't stop people from giving away pets from hacked accounts that are not theirs. it doesn't stop access them from accessing pets and trading them. it just becomes more cumbersome for people to accept trades if they have it enabled. it would make more sense to have this pin for when you start up a trade, but still it seems useless on older accounts that lack a set pin. the hacker can just get in and set it to whatever. either way the problem isn't about trades, it's about compromised accounts and how easy it seems to be able to just get into them.
    having 2fa on sign in would be a better option, because it actually limits people from getting into accounts. another option is that old, inactive accounts get 'locked' so that you much go through cs staff to reinstate the account. this adds a layer of human confirmation, possibly cutting down on the number of hacks.
    i don't hate the idea, i wouldn't care if it were added but i wouldn't use it. overall it just seems pointless and flimsy at best.

Please read the message above this one as it seems people are ignoring the edits I made for clarification :D

Darni

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby sapphipop » Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:48 am

for the record i'm not ignoring the edits - i respect your ideas and how they can be lenient towards people who may not support the enter pin suggestion. but i personally doubt that if they did implement this feature, it wouldn't be something that you would pick-and-choose, if that makes sense. it wasn't my intention to upset you or anything, i apologize if i did.
rissa | she/her
sapphipop

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Darni » Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:30 am

creepbyradiohead wrote:for the record i'm not ignoring the edits - i respect your ideas and how they can be lenient towards people who may not support the enter pin suggestion. but i personally doubt that if they did implement this feature, it wouldn't be something that you would pick-and-choose, if that makes sense. it wasn't my intention to upset you or anything, i apologize if i did.

I'm not upset it just seemed from your message you might have missed that part. Neopets, Epic Games, many other games have this feature as an OPTION. Having multiple options for ways to protect yourself are important. We shouldn't be settling for just one 2FA because what if the authenticator is compromised, what if someone is a minor and it requires a phone to log in and now the minor needs to use their phone to log in from new place, what if someone is using their parents email then they have to go run to them asking to open their email so they can log into the game. There's also people who don't like 2FA when it isn't an on-site feature because they don't wanna tab out or go pull out their phone and have 15-30 seconds to type a code. 2FA isn't for everyone and for the people who don't want to use it they can still protect their account from trading their stuff away with this.

Darni

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby sapphipop » Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:19 pm

Darni wrote:I'm not upset it just seemed from your message you might have missed that part. Neopets, Epic Games, many other games have this feature as an OPTION. Having multiple options for ways to protect yourself are important. We shouldn't be settling for just one 2FA because what if the authenticator is compromised, what if someone is a minor and it requires a phone to log in and now the minor needs to use their phone to log in from new place, what if someone is using their parents email then they have to go run to them asking to open their email so they can log into the game. There's also people who don't like 2FA when it isn't an on-site feature because they don't wanna tab out or go pull out their phone and have 15-30 seconds to type a code. 2FA isn't for everyone and for the people who don't want to use it they can still protect their account from trading their stuff away with this.

i'm personally not familiar with that feature being used for other games/platforms, i've never played neopets and i've really only played fortnite from epic games but not all that recently, so i didn't realize this wasn't an entirely new idea.

i honestly still don't agree with the enter pin when trading feature, and that's okay, we don't have to agree. but one thing i know we can agree on is that more security protocol needs to be put in place. yes 2fa may be complicated for minors who play cs, but i think there could likely be ways to make it easier without completely compromising security all over again. and i also agree that 2fa shouldn't be the only thing set in place, but i've seen others with really good suggestions as well that i hope are implemented sooner than later. in my initial message, i didn't mean that we need one and only one security protocol, but that we shouldn't end up with more than one that might not end up be beneficial.

also, we know now that the staff is working hard on more security measures, perhaps even ones we haven't even thought of, so the best thing to do right now is wait and be patient.
rissa | she/her
sapphipop

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Darni » Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:32 pm

creepbyradiohead wrote:-snips-

Oh no we can totally disagree that's fine. I can go grab some screenshots to show you the feature on neopets since I'm on right now doing some daily stuff (i play everyday religiously almost).

When you go to bank without a pin (I have a pin, but removed it for these pics for you) it prompts you that adding a pin to your bank can be a good way to protect your account because then they (hacker) cannot remove the thousands/millions of neopoints you have in the bank.

Once you click it then it brings you to a prompt to make a pin along with showing at the top other preferences in security and account safety.

I have set my pin and now it will prompt me again that I have done so.

Now it will show me all opens for places I want it to require the pin and where I do not want it to require the pin.

Now I put it on my bank and shop and where else I feel and when I try to do things it comes up like this:

I just wanted to give you a visual because I'm sure seeing pin can be kind of confusing for people who have never played games with bank pins or storage pins or any security pins in their stuff. Also again this would be optional and it wouldn't be forced on people, but instead is an alternative for more security if they want it.

Darni

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby sapphipop » Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:37 pm

ah that makes much more sense with a visual, thank you for providing it! i'm more of a visual kinda person so seeing it that way makes it a bit more of an appealing security method. again, i apologize for the way i came off at first, i appreciate you being so understanding and kind so as to explain your point!
rissa | she/her
sapphipop

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me