Celiac Disease Awareness

Create and decorate a scene with your friends to show off your favorite pets!

"Celiac Disease Awareness" by Squecca

Re: Celiac Disease Awareness

Postby Pear » Mon May 29, 2023 4:09 pm

Love this!! My dad has celiac's. Thankfully none of us siblings have it yet so I've been eating gluten while I can! My dad's developed about a decade ago and we were all tested for it.

Speaking of the stigma, it's kind of amusing when we go out to eat and my dad asks for a gluten free menu, and then they start speaking to my mom.. Nope, sike! It's my dad! lol
A lot of people don't realize that those with celiacs literally have no choice - eating gluten can lead to serious side effects.
My dad's brother also has it, and it's so bad they can't even have gluten in the house.
Pear

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Squecca » Wed May 01, 2024 1:34 pm

Pear wrote:Love this!! My dad has celiac's. Thankfully none of us siblings have it yet so I've been eating gluten while I can! My dad's developed about a decade ago and we were all tested for it.

Speaking of the stigma, it's kind of amusing when we go out to eat and my dad asks for a gluten free menu, and then they start speaking to my mom.. Nope, sike! It's my dad! lol
A lot of people don't realize that those with celiacs literally have no choice - eating gluten can lead to serious side effects.
My dad's brother also has it, and it's so bad they can't even have gluten in the house.

Thank you for your comment! I'm glad you and your siblings are in the clear, but it sucks your dad has it!
That's funny that they assume your mom is the gluten free one :lol: I didn't think there was a difference in men vs women's propensity for developing celiac disease, but I looked it up just now and 60-70% of diagnosed celiacs are women! Researchers think it's because women are more likely to develop autoimmune diseases in general, but I think it may also have to do with the fact that women are more likely to seek medical attention when feeling ill. And I'm sure women are more likely to go on "fad diets" just for the heck of it, so that's probably why people assume it's the woman instead of the man!
Edit to add: Apparently when women have celiac disease, they tend to have much more severe symptoms! That also makes sense as to why women may be more likely to be diagnosed.
May is Celiac Disease Awareness Month!
Image <--click
Squecca

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Squecca » Wed May 01, 2024 1:35 pm

bump!
Image <--click
Squecca

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby koishibuh » Wed May 01, 2024 2:07 pm

Nice to see this post!

While I don't have celiac disease, I do have a sensitivity to gluten that I discovered by accident. A DNA test said I had a higher likelyhood of having celiac and forever ago I noticed I felt better cutting bread out for a month as part of a challenge but couldn't give it up haha.
It wasn't until about 3 years ago I was fed up with constantly feeling tired and brain fogged that I cut out all gluten to see if it would help. About two weeks in I noticed how much better my brain worked, had more energy, not longer bloated. I found it also helped with my ADHD symptoms some before I was medicated so I ended up going completely gluten free.

Its definitely not easy, learned how gluten is in so many food products and how much more expensive it is to buy GF. Traveling and finding restaurants that offer GF options means no more spontaneous meals out or trying local dishes. But I'm glad that it is becoming more common to find GF menus and products. I was recently gifted a GF cookbook and made GF bread and other baked goods ^^
I definitely miss the taste and convenience of gluten but I much rather be the best version of myself when I don't have it.
koishibuh

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Squecca » Wed May 01, 2024 2:33 pm

koishibuh wrote:Nice to see this post!

While I don't have celiac disease, I do have a sensitivity to gluten that I discovered by accident. A DNA test said I had a higher likelyhood of having celiac and forever ago I noticed I felt better cutting bread out for a month as part of a challenge but couldn't give it up haha.
It wasn't until about 3 years ago I was fed up with constantly feeling tired and brain fogged that I cut out all gluten to see if it would help. About two weeks in I noticed how much better my brain worked, had more energy, not longer bloated. I found it also helped with my ADHD symptoms some before I was medicated so I ended up going completely gluten free.

Its definitely not easy, learned how gluten is in so many food products and how much more expensive it is to buy GF. Traveling and finding restaurants that offer GF options means no more spontaneous meals out or trying local dishes. But I'm glad that it is becoming more common to find GF menus and products. I was recently gifted a GF cookbook and made GF bread and other baked goods ^^
I definitely miss the taste and convenience of gluten but I much rather be the best version of myself when I don't have it.

Thank you for stopping by! I'm sorry you have to deal with a sensitivity and ADHD! Finding something that helps must be a huge relief! I hope you continue to feel great :D
Image <--click
Squecca

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lierre » Fri May 03, 2024 5:35 pm

i love this! my roommate was diagnosed with celiac disease last year after getting covid triggered it so now our house cooks gluten free meals most of the week! it was hard at first but we’ve found tons of great substitutes that you would never guess were gf!! i had no idea may was celiac disease awareness month so i’ll definitely have to tell my roommate!
Lierre

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Squecca » Sat May 04, 2024 4:49 am

Lierre wrote:i love this! my roommate was diagnosed with celiac disease last year after getting covid triggered it so now our house cooks gluten free meals most of the week! it was hard at first but we’ve found tons of great substitutes that you would never guess were gf!! i had no idea may was celiac disease awareness month so i’ll definitely have to tell my roommate!

Thank you for stopping by! Your roommate is so lucky to have someone as accommodating as you! :D
Image <--click
Squecca

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me