warrior cat name and character review v.3 [ new owner! ]

Ask for help with character/plot development or other RP-related content. You can also post your own roleplay guides, tips, and tricks!

warrior cat name and character review v.3 [ new owner! ]

Postby notwearingsocks » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:21 pm

[ i have received permission from arcaii to remake this thread. please do not remake without their express permission. there may be slight tweaks in some places, but this thread now belongs to me. ]

hello ! i'm scarlet, and i'm here to judge cats of all kind ― queens, kits, elders, leaders, you name it. loners / rogues are accepted, though clan cats are preferred.

reviews will be out of 10. reviews are no longer numerically rated, but you will be given a name type. you can send in quite a few cats or even an entire clan, but if you could notify me first that would be great. i will do my best to respond promptly.

a quick word before we get into this ― i will always give reasons as to why i gave that number in a review. if my review makes you upset, please try to be civil on this thread. message me privately if you're really bothered, and we can talk about it. this does not mean I will change my review, this is just so things aren't completely sour between us.

there are two types of applications you can send in ― name based, and character based. the first is just the name of the cat and a brief description of anything notable ― coat color, length, any old injuries, skills, etcetera ( a notable personality is also helpful ― like someone who is shockingly short tempered or is innately talented with herbs ). you can also just give me a name and ask what comes to mind. the second one covers both the character and their name.

questions are always welcome if you need help but don't wish to send in a review.

NOTE: IF YOU WANT TO SEND IN YOUR OWN BIO SHEET, THAT'S COMPLETELY FINE, BUT THE SHEET MUST HAVE THE INFORMATION THAT'S ON THE CHARACTER REVIEW SHEET. EVERYTHING ELSE COMES SECOND. I DO NOT NEED TO KNOW IF YOUR CHARACTER HAS A CRUSH ON SOMEONE OR WHO THEIR DEAD MOTHER IS.

NAME REVIEW
Code: Select all
[b]name: [/b]
[b]description: [/b]
[b]important notes: [/b]

CHARACTER REVIEW
Code: Select all
[b]image ( preferred ) / description: [/b]
[b]name: [/b]
[b]gender: [/b]
[b]clan: [/b]
[b]rank: [/b]
[b]personality / skills: [/b]
[b]important notes: [/b]

please note : in the name review, the important notes section is where you should probably put any outstanding traits, like being fast or having a particular skill with kittens. if the most notable trait of the cat is a physical description (fluff around neck, scar on nose, etc.), put that in the image / description part of the sheet. listing a skill or notable personal trait is extremely helpful in picking a good name for your cat.
Last edited by notwearingsocks on Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:24 am, edited 5 times in total.
notwearingsocks

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

name types !

Postby notwearingsocks » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:28 pm

traditional: traditional naming was created by fans who thought the book names were getting to be ridiculous as time went on, so they created a structure for naming. in traditionalism, the name is used to describe the cat's appearance using items from their environment as the prefix and a suffix from a list that represents a skill or trait of the cat. for example, a cat named blackclaw is a black cat who's good at fighting, or a cat named sandtail is a light brown cat who's an expert in balancing and climbing. the first part of the name describes the cat's appearance ( a light grey cat being named mist- ), and the second part describes ability, personality, or looks, if they're not particularly skilled or noteworthy ( mist- being handsome and not outstanding in anything, so he's named mistface ). you can read about it here ( prefixes ) and here ( suffixes ). ( there may be some swearing, as a warning. )

lyrical: these names are just meant to sound good. they don't have any rules to them except sounding nice ( i.e., rosepetal, shyheart ). they usually include things that cats don't know about ( emeraldeye ) or something spiritual ( soulshine ).

because ive used it quite a bit, I'll also put creative here. creative is when your cat's name doesn't really fit in with either of the above ― it's not very poetic and doesn't follow traditional rules.

please remember that this is all opinion. i have no bearing on what you choose to do with your character.
Last edited by notwearingsocks on Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
notwearingsocks

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

faq !

Postby notwearingsocks » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:32 pm

note: this faq covers most things i notice people doing, more so than actual questions i've gotten.

Q: I want to send in a cat. Should I send in both forms for them?
A: Please try not to! While it isn't exactly a huge problem, it can get a little redundant looking at them both over what is essentially the same information. If you want your character fully reviewed, please only send in the Character Sheet, and not the Name Sheet. Your cat's name is covered in the Character Review.

Q: I saw your review, and I want to respond with an explanation why my cat has that name-
A: Stop right there, would you kindly? If your cat's name does indeed have a specific reason, please just tell me in the sheet. I know that my reviews can be negative, and occasionally people want to respond with "but I have an excuse, I promise", which is understandable. Please understand that I'm not targeting you specifically in a negative review, just giving a critique. Besides, any explanation you may try to offer rarely dissuades me from my original rate.

Q: Did you come up with traditionalism/reviews one day?
A: I did not. Traditionalism is a system that's popular around certain circles of the fandom, as are reviews. I haven't really seen many other reviewers give insight as to their reasoning, so my goal here is to give as thorough as a review as I can. It seems that less fights happen when you give explanations to your thoughts.

Q: I decided to keep my cat's original name, instead of the one you suggested. Does that bother you?
A: Not at all. My reviews are solely opinion. What you choose to do with that opinion is up to you, whether you take my advice or not, or change your cat entirely.

Q: What do you think sounds good with -insert prefix here-?
A: You misunderstand the point of this thread. Please read over the beginning again.

Q: Can i just send in a question without having to send in a cat?
A: By all means! Go right ahead, my dude!

Q: But this suffix or prefix showed up in the books, so it's okay, right?
A: Kindly read over the beginning again.

Q: So, what names have made you laugh particularly hard?
A: That, I'm disinclined to say. I don't want to target people specifically on here, mostly because that's just rude (and more often than not, they weren't aware that the name was a bad idea). I will say, though, some of the bios I've gotten have been a real adventure to read through and hilarious to comprehend the fact that people actually put thought into the character (or didn't).

Q: I sent in a character, and you were mean/overly blunt/rude in the review, and hurt my feelings.
A: This is never, ever my intentions with reviews. I've always hated the reviewers or critiques that are just straight up mean for no real reason. It always plants a bad seed for the future. So if I did end up making you feel bad, I apologize. Of course, I never say something unless I think it's a solid point or a bad attempt to make you laugh, so I do mean the actual point, just not the harshness behind it.
Last edited by notwearingsocks on Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
notwearingsocks

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

common prefixes / suffixes !

Postby notwearingsocks » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:41 pm

These names I get a lot, and I really don't feel like explaining my reasons for not liking them over and over and over. Most of these are quoted from actual reviews I've done.

Brokenheart: I've gotten this name enough times that it deserves its own spot. The bottom line is that naming a cat something like this is not only useless, but cruel. Usually, the cats are named after losing someone they love, as if the leader decided that a constant reminder that they lost someone near and dear was a great idea.
How would you feel if you lost a sister or your mother, for example, and instead of letting you grieve and get on with life, your family said, "Well, you're clearly distraught still, so we're going to take you over to the courts and get your name changed to Evergrieve, to show how pathetic and sad you are"?
Cats will lose their loved ones. That is Clan life; work and eat and fight until you die. Death is such a normal thing for them ( they kill every day for their meal! ), and yes, cats will be affected. They will be sad and hurt for a long time. But they can't let it define them.

Hollow-: The thing with Hollow- is simply this: what on earth does it mean? How am I supposed to know what a cat is like from Hollow-? Are they a dull, empty sort ( which is mean to name a cat for )? Are they supposed to be a dark color (which they rarely are)? It doesn't make any sense. Also, this name is sometimes used with "-heart" to sound poetic, but please, for the love of God, don't do that. There is no reason for this name to exist.

Spirit-/-spirit: Calling a kit Spirit- is akin to calling them Star- or Moon-. It's useless because it describes absolutely nothing about the kit themselves, and naming a cat after something considered sacred is extreme taboo, because it's putting the cat on a pedestal they don't belong even close to. That, and even if it was to mean something related to their belief system or personality, they don't get a name like that at birth and it isn't at all worth a rename.

Echo-/-echo: Echo- is an unaccepted name, primarily due to its unreliability. Echo-, to my knowledge, is mostly used to describe a cat that looks similar to a dead one, which, honestly, is pretty ruttin' unfair and cruel. The name Echo- says, "You look like some other cat, so we're going to name you for that. No, you don't get to grow into your own person, you look to much like whatever cat we named you for. You're not special enough to have your own name."

Soul-/-soul: Basically the same mess as -spirit. Just don't do it.

Feather-/-feather: As a descriptor, it's useless. Feathers can be any color, shape, or size, and even if they were to suggest a personality type like "soft and gentle", it would still fail due to feathers coming in many varieties besides downy.

Moon: Moon- is, in and of itself, a name that no cat deserves. The moon is a very sacred object to the Clans - they have the Moonstone ( later Moonpool ), it's used during Gatherings to tell whether StarClan is upset with the cats or not, and for the longest time the Hunters even agreed that the name was not allowed on any cat ( see how well that went ). It's like naming your cat Star-. You just don't do it.

Names that reference the eyes: Eye names don't work, mostly because it's a huge risk. Cats don't open their eyes until they're three weeks old ( AND YOUR CAT'S MOTHER WILL NOT WAIT THAT LONG EVER, THE CLAN WILL NOT ALLOW IT SO DON'T EVEN TRY THAT ON ME FOR THE LOVE OF EVERYTHING ), and they're blue for a while, before changing colors. You can never guarantee that the eyes will be one color or the other. Plus, that's a very small part of the body to name someone for, don't you think? ( Excluding, of course, names that refer to missing or otherwise damaged eyes. )

Flame-: Flames are insignificant compared to a fire, which is larger and much more obvious. There's no need for a second prefix having to do with fire.

-flame/-fire/-blaze: -fire can easily be considered a negative suffix. A fire is something that destroys, kills, and ruins, and it implies an overly-aggressive, wild and fierce cat who destroys everyone and everything they come across. Someone named after a fire is someone that is probably not a desirable cat to have in a Clan. While you can excuse it as a prefix on the grounds that it's to describe the pelt, rather than the cat itself, that's what the prefix is for.

Amber-: The term for the color comes from the ore itself, which is found in rocks and not out in English grasslands. I know it sounds pretty, but it's like Jet-; if the cats aren't seeing them, they won't use the color names.

Dragon/Vampire/Mythical Creature: If it's human created, it's not going to show up in the cat world. That's the rule. Mythology especially.

Named for the weather they were born in: Weather. Does not. Matter. Unless. The cat. Is the same color. As the weather they were born in. No Thunders, no Stormys, nothing. Stop sending these in. I'm tired of them.

Gem-Based Names: Shoutout to Emerald, possibly the most overly popular name in all of the fanbase. The thing with these names is that a cat in the wild anywhere isn't going to know what a gem is. Gems don't show up on the ground randomly, with perhaps the exception of quartz, and even then that's in very specific areas (mostly in California, if my information is correct). They generally have to be mined from deep underground, past where any living thing is going to be, and are polished and cut to look as they do. Unlike, say, Golden-, which is a regular color description, cats aren't likely to look at eyes and say, "You know, these really look like topaz or citrine, let's name her for that."
Last edited by notwearingsocks on Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
notwearingsocks

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

common problems !

Postby notwearingsocks » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:48 pm

PERSONALITY TRAITS

Loyal- So here's the thing with loyalty: it's a basic requirement to be a warrior. It's actually a necessity, otherwise you have no right to be in a Clan. Please please please do not mention it in a review sheet, because it's a default thing, much like being a decent human being. You don't get brownie points for being loyal to the death.

Ambitious, Therefore Evil- I think I'll just quote Ailuronymy here. Kick it, Grey:
Ambition isn’t evil. Ambition is just the desire to succeed at something. Ambition is a really good trait to have, especially in your warriors - from a leader’s point of view, at least. You want your cats to strive to be the best they possibly can.
The only time ambition becomes a problem is when it’s entirely unrestrained and when that ambition is directed in a negative way.

Ambition has been brutalized in canon as meaning "evil", and it really doesn't. You don't have to add that your character has ambition but isn't evil, you swear. Go ahead and just say they have ambition!

The Cliche Medicine Cat- This she-cat ( and it's always a she-cat ) is empathetic, quiet, loving, patient, apparently intelligent, doesn't like fighting at all, has always wanted to be a medicine cat and nine times out of ten spends half her time wistfully sighing about not being able to have kits because she adores them, and is very perceptive to prophecies but is somehow always unable to tell exactly what they mean. If you have only one or two of these traits for your cat, then that's fine, but combined it makes for a very dull character. Not all medicine cats will be sweet! Some will be vulgar, some will be ugly, some will hate having to deal with kits, and some can't stand being interrupted or being spoken to unless it's a necessity. You can even have a cat who's violently protective of her Clan because she sees everyone as family, and her skills will make others talk about how the Clan is absent a fine fighter since she's an absolute necessity. Shake it up, and see what you get!

The Victorian Mother- A meek cat who's a good mother? Works just fine. A cat who turns meek and simpering because she now has kittens? I dunno if you've met any real human mothers, let alone cat mothers, but your personality rarely changes solely because you have a kid. And animals mothers, real talk, are absolutely terrifying. I've nearly been mowed down by a cow because I was slightly too close to her baby ( read: 50 feet ), and the mother cats I've met are the stuff of nightmares if you're the wrong person to be touching their kittens. Queens are vicious, ill-tempered, and barbaric - some queens will actually eat their kittens in times of stress. I thankfully haven't seen too much of it, but a warning to all to mind how you portray your character after she has babies.

Nice, But Mean if You Make Them Mad- This is kinda like saying "this cat is white, but can be brown". It paves way for an inconsistent personality, so the creator can be lazy and not have to worry about finding different ways for their character to handle anger. Simultaneously it is also redundant. Everyone gets a little sour if they're mad. Everyone.

Feisty- Like...can...can anyone tell me what that's supposed to mean? It's so vague! The description of feisty has been used so many times in the books it no longer has any meaning, and usually is stapled onto rather one-dimensional cats, generally females. Don't use it by itself, because I really don't know what you'll be trying to get across.

"Bipolar"/"Schizophrenic"/Other Quotationed Mental Illnesses- I don't get this much, but it reaaaally needs to be stated. DO NOT USE MENTAL ILLNESSES ON YOUR CAT TO EXPLAIN ODD BEHAVIOR, GIVE AN EXCUSE FOR INCONSISTENT PERSONALITIES, OR BECAUSE IT SEEMS COOL. MENTAL ILLNESSES ALREADY GET ENOUGH MISREPRESENTATION AND FLACK IN MEDIA AND REQUIRE A LOT OF RESEARCH AND CAREFUL USE IF YOU WANT TO BE TRUTHFUL TO THE ACTUAL ILLNESS. IF YOU JUST WANT TO BE LAZY, THEN USE SOMETHING ELSE.

The Shrinking Violet- This references a molly ( and it's always a molly ) whose most dominant trait is that she's shy. Almost always accompanied by sweetness and intelligence. These characters are rarely thought out beyond that, and in RPs are rarely ever shy. Here's a rule for character creation: disregard the first thing that comes to mind. And the second, third, and fourth. Keep digging until you find something that truly fits and manages to be unique.

COAT COLORS AND BODY ISSUES

White Warrior with Blue Eyes- White cats with blue eyes tend to be deaf. Most people aren't aware of that, surprisingly, but this is a pretty big color combo that the fandom loves, so I should warn you all now.

Tortoiseshell or Calico Toms- Tortoiseshells, and their coat color cousin calico, are almost exclusively female. The only way a male could have either of those coat colors is if he was a chimera, which is what happens when two embryos in the womb merge. As a result, these chimeras tend to be sterile ( meaning they can't have children ), and tend to get sick very easily. Cats like these are incredibly rare, and I don't suggest you going for it unless you feel up to some heavy research.

Icy Blue Eyes- Usually on a black cat. Strike one: black cats do not naturally get blue eyes. That is a recessive gene, which means it's only likely to come out on lighter colored cats. Strike two: icy blue eyes do not naturally exist on any cat. It's always a regular blue or maybe even a faint blue, but certainly not icy. Strike three: It's the deadest possible horse you can beat. We can be more original than this, people. Everyone and their mother has a cat with ice blue eyes.

Purple Eyes- Much like ice blue eyes, they don't exist naturally, with the smallest exception of albino cats, but even then it's more light pinkish or light blueish. The ones people tend to use are the deep purple ones, which are photoshopped, and I recommend against them. People seem terrified of green and yellow eyes, even though they look awesome.

Generally Odd Coat Colors- Well, it varies, but we've had some hard-to-justify colors on a supposedly realistic cat. Check it out folks, here's a very nice diagram that helps describe how cat colors work! Go nuts with it.

Sharp/Long Claws, Therefore Good at Battle- Just because a cat has dangerous claws does not mean they will be good fighters. Long claws may cause issues, and may be dull as a result of not completely fitting back into the toe and scraping on the ground all day. Sharp claws, meanwhile, are pretty much a default for cats, so it's not worth naming.
An analogy: Imagine that you own a bow and a good number of arrows. The arrow heads are sharp and glisten in the sun, and the arrows are straight and fly true, but you don't have the slightest idea how to fire them from the bow. They're not going to do you much good if you can't shoot more than 10 feet, are they? It takes practice and skill to be able to make them deadly and effective.
If your cat happens to have long claws and is very good at battle, fine, but they will require the knowledge to get a cat on the ground and tear them asunder if they want those claws to be effective.

HISTORY

Lost a Loved One, Now They're Cold and Hate Everyone- Usually with -frost, Brokenheart, or Hollow- somewhere in there. Look, cats die all the time. That is a general thing that happens in the wild, and is barely worth noting. By all accounts, let your cat grieve, but don't have them completely shift their personality just because someone died. And it's always either a mate or a family member. They live in a group of cats that they're all fairly close to. Why don't they throw themselves down and weep about their deaths? Like, really. Come on.

The Little Orphan Annie- These are the cats that were born as loners, but their family ( or the majority of their family ) died or were being hunted down or some other third thing, leaving them forced to abandon their kit on the side of a Clan territory when the kitten was just a few weeks old. Nevermind the fact that these loners have probably had skirmishes with Clan cats or heard rumors of the Clans being fierce and willing to kill to protect their territory from strangers, or that there are probably other loners willing to take in a lost kit, or the possibility that the Clan cannot afford another mouth to feed. Clearly only the Clan cats are virtuous and morally right enough to take in any random, non-Clan baby on their doorstep. If you want a cat taken in by the Clan, that's fine, but I have heard this story a million times with little to no variation. Disregard this idea if you can, and just try something new or unexpected - like, I dunno, a Clan-born kitten.

Pointless Bullying- This, technically, falls under WTH (Wangst-Tailored History), but it's popped up plenty of times. This happens when a character, as a kitten, was bullied and treated cruelly for...no real stated reason. Even if the kitten wasn't born in the Clan, they likely grew up alongside the other kittens as siblings and friends, so it's unlikely that a kitten would just randomly hate on someone their age ( keep in mind that hatred towards others is not bred, it's learned, so these guys would probably just think "Oh boy, a new friend! "). Adults especially wouldn't be allowed to bully younger cats - in fact, bullying in general isn't a likely thing to happen in a Clan, because the Clan is built as a family, and it doesn't matter whether your cat was born an outsider or has kittens with an unknown father. The Clan's core is taking care of, respecting, and helping each other no matter what may come.

Had to Become a Medicine Cat- If your cat is blind/deaf/mute/etc., they don't have to be a medicine cat. Cats communicate mainly with body language, and, while they would be at a slight disadvantage when it comes to the socializing aspect of clan life, they could still be a warrior.
Last edited by notwearingsocks on Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
notwearingsocks

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: warrior cat name and character review v.3 [ new owner !

Postby Katrione » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:05 pm

image ( preferred ) / description: light ginger tabby she-cat with blue eyes.
name: squirrelstar
clan: echoclan (now starclan)
personality / skills: eager and bubbly/ amazing climber
important notes: she has a knick in her right ear from when her older sister, glass, accidentally caught her ear with her claws while trying to escape from a dog. (glass was trying to climb up after squirrel into the tree but the dog grabbed one of her legs and yanked her down and glass caught squirrel's ear while trying to scramble back up the tree)

Full background, including a list of her extended family (i.e. aunts, cousins etc)
Katrione

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Simonpet » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:37 pm

Name: Carpkit
Description: Carpkit is a golden-brown tortoiseshell tabby with kitten-gray eyes.
Important notes: I'm looking for a traditional name review. While I'm not going to change her name, I'd like to know if it fit in the first place.
Simonpet

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby sharklord » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:46 pm

name: morningfall
description: siamese cat
important notes: medicine cat / sassy / annoying
sharklord

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby winter solstice. » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:26 pm

All right, I'm asking for the prefixes only, as I actually like using non-traditional suffixes over traditional ones (rip). I've been writing a fanfic with a clan full of cats and I need some name advice ^^'

name: Shadestar
      description: A black tom with short fur, has amber eyes.
      important notes: his warrior name was Shadestorm.

name: Darksplash
      description: A black she-cat with white patches. She has green eyes.
      important notes: I feel like Dark- or Night- is a little too overused in a lot of my naming? So a bit of advice on alternate names please?

name: Cloudfrost
      description: A pale gray tabby she-cat with a medium-length coat and blue eyes.
      important notes: she is a medicine cat.

name: Moonfall
      description: a cream-coated she-cat with green eyes
      important notes: after reading over your notes, I noticed I'd used Moon- on her, whoops. Any good suggestions? (I imagine her as a fluffy-coated cat)

name: Sunstream
      description: a tortoiseshell-and-white she-cat (predominantly black in the tortoiseshell part) with amber eyes
      important notes: is there a good alternate prefix for her traditional-wise? I kinda took Sun- from Sunstrike, a canon warrior (WindClan or RiverClan, I can't remember)

I'll be back with some more but for now, have fun ^^'
Hello, I'm winter! Hope you have a great day or night wherever you live~!

Winter / Fairy / Gale
Formerly FairyCharmed
She/Her - Korea - UTC+9hrs.
winter solstice.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me