Guide to Roleplay Reference Pictures

Ask for help with character/plot development or other RP-related content. You can also post your own roleplay guides, tips, and tricks!

Re: Guide to Roleplay Reference Pictures

Postby buddha - » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:13 am

i am aware that we're aloud to use official art, but some computer archive games and things weren't officially published so is using sprites from them still acceptable? [ e.g. lieat, wadanohara, gray garden ]
buddha -

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lacuna » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:27 am

spoopy booty wrote:
    i am aware that we're aloud to use official art, but some computer archive games and things weren't officially published so is using sprites from them still acceptable? [ e.g. lieat, wadanohara, gray garden ]

I'm not familiar with those games, but if you're using official sprites that should be fine as long as you make note of what you are doing, such as "official art from [game]."
Lacuna
Roleplay Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ronomy » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:10 am

Whoah.The world is so much clearer now.Thanks!!!
ronomy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby mairon » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:00 am

I read the mod sign up forms when they were accepting and it said it had to be someone who always followed the rules. With this in mind, if you accidentally commit Art theft, does that mean you cannot be a mod/get kicked out from your modhsip (if you're already a mod)
hey there im mai an i luv my friends
art | my dA
mairon

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lacuna » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:33 pm

Asuna Yuuki wrote:I read the mod sign up forms when they were accepting and it said it had to be someone who always followed the rules. With this in mind, if you accidentally commit Art theft, does that mean you cannot be a mod/get kicked out from your modhsip (if you're already a mod)

It is important that CS users read the rules when they join and ask any questions they have. You are agreeing to do this when you sign up for the site. Some rules aren't very obvious or are hidden, but the art rules are not. All of the roleplay boards have a stickied topic containing the rules (including art usage rules) and the "Site Rules" link in the Help tab at the top of the page also has information regarding art theft. In addition, there is this guide stickied in the General Roleplay Discussion and Forms board and reminders above many boards to review the rules.

Based on all of this information, there is really no way to "accidentally" commit art theft, the same way it's impossible to "accidentally" steal someone's wallet out of their pocket. One of the disqualifying criteria in moderator applications is a history of art theft, and I doubt that will change. The reason CS is so strict about art theft, besides being a site focused on adoptable art, is that Copyright is a law, and if broken by one user it can get the whole site in trouble.
Lacuna
Roleplay Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The BadWolf » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:08 am

I just got a warning for images that weren't mine used in a post. I didn't realise! What does this warning mean? Am I in big trouble for it? Is it a permanent thing?

Also, if I have a warning for art theft and there are other images that are not mine I have used for forms, should I take those out too?
───────𝙳𝙾𝙽'𝚃 𝚈𝙾𝚄 𝙴𝚅𝙴𝚁 𝙻𝙴𝙰𝚅𝙴 𝙻𝙾𝚅𝙴 𝙰𝚂𝙸𝙳𝙴, 𝚂𝙾𝙽
xxxmarston || he/him || resident cowboy enthusiast || her <3
The BadWolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lacuna » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:16 am

The BadWolf wrote:
I just got a warning for images that weren't mine used in a post. I didn't realise! What does this warning mean? Am I in big trouble for it? Is it a permanent thing?

Also, if I have a warning for art theft and there are other images that are not mine I have used for forms, should I take those out too?

That warning means that there is a record so that moderators can see that you have gotten in trouble for art theft. If you read over this guide and use the information it provides to properly use art you should have no problems in the future. I would recommend that you remove any other stolen art in your posts though, or moderators will just remove it as they come across it. You will not be warned again unless it was posted after the date of your warning, but it's still better to take them out now.
Lacuna
Roleplay Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Rising » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:39 am

What about images or gifs pulled from Youtube videos? Are these allowed, if so do they have to link back to the source? I ask because I have a gif taken from a youtube video in my signature right now. For the record, it comes from the official video of Lana Del Rey's 'National Anthem'.
Thanks in advance.
New username to remind me of the wind through the trees and the way I want to be.
Rising

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lacuna » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:07 am

mental racat wrote:What about images or gifs pulled from Youtube videos? Are these allowed, if so do they have to link back to the source? I ask because I have a gif taken from a youtube video in my signature right now. For the record, it comes from the official video of Lana Del Rey's 'National Anthem'.
Thanks in advance.

As long as you link back to the source there should be no issue with gifs of youtube videos.
Lacuna
Roleplay Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Burrito Bunny » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:51 pm

Do we have to source our own pictures? For instance, the picture in my signature was drawn by me, but how would a CS mod know that it came from my photo bucket or any other of my art accounts? Do I have to site my own work so that a mod doesn't think I stole it from someone else even though it is my own work just uploaded under an account with a different username on a different site?
Burrito Bunny
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me