lol Contest entry by clm

Based on Click to view
Artist clm [gallery]
Time spent 11 hours
Drawing sessions 9
10 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

lol Contest entry

Postby clm » Mon May 02, 2011 4:44 pm

MAY BE EDITED IN FUTURE In the midst of heavy editing of the forms. Picture might come next. (Edited slightly around the eyes/some shading. Still revamp possible for future.)

Well, first time using Oekaki. Obviously the timer is wrong xP That's what happens when you wander away and leave things up. Which is my style when drawing - do bits and bobs in spurts and get majorly distracted in between lol

I've never been good at roleplays or writing in general lol Let's see how these go...

CONTEST FORMS

The Pitbull
Name: Duke
Personality: Field operative who aspires to greater rank. Has difficulty communicating effectively with his soldiers. Dreams of having a squad that works "like clockwork, all the cogs in place" but has little idea on how to foster that kind of teamwork or training. Strong and hardworking, but often leads his squad on drills that look impressive, but likely are less than applicable in a real battle situation. Right now, he's desperate enough just to fake the appearance of a super squad.
History: Earned his command by virtue of being the most experienced when their last leader fell in battle and he takes the command of 'his' squad very seriously, tenaciously trying to stay leader- being allowed to on a probationary period while bureaucracy is sorted out. Originally from a human camp/farmstead. When it was decided by the humans that they should move camp and join with a larger settlement, Duke was rejected - it was an ultimatum that demanded he be left outside the walls of the city rather than be allowed in. Although it pained his humans greatly, they couldn't afford to turn back and had no choice but to leave him. Although he stayed outside the walls for a time, the guards taking pot shots at him and never seeing his people depressed him enough to explore farther and farther away, until one night he just didn't see the point in returning. He traveled until meeting up with a group dogs and joined them.
Favorites: Group activities, swimming, wrestling play
Dislikes: Blood, walls
Theme Song?: http://youtu.be/hMAVLXk9QWA
Other Needed Information: Cropped ears give away his previous human affiliation.

The Akita
Name: Tin
Personality: Smart, strong and willful - although some might describe him as mouthy, aggressive, and stubborn. Generally aloof, he doesn't hang out casually with his command soldiers much at all - only with others of equivalent or higher rank as himself. Encourages his Sergeants to hang out with the rank files, and trusts their judgement on morale and such issues. Prefers being on the outskirts of groups, contributing only occasionally and mainly listening. This does not mean he is a follower - he is very much a dominant, take charge sort; but when he knows he has it firmly in his paws, he is content to stay quieter and continue letting the "intel" wash around him rather than speak and give away too much of his own plans.
History: Battled often, talked a lot in between to the right people, and always made sure he was standing in the right place at the right time. His rank is earned, but he wouldn't be nearly so high if there wasn't a war going on. Quite willing to listen to other's ideas, add to them, and implement them in sometimes stunning ways - much less likely however to remember how many people contributed.
Favorites: Chicken and other fowl, hunting, fish, food
Dislikes: Teasing, wasting time, travel
Theme Song?: http://youtu.be/BLyHWIXTrlI
Other Needed Information: ... what kind of characters did you want again, besides in power and one to be sweet and understanding?

The Bernese Mountain Dog
Name:Bernard
Personality: Good natured, self assured, intelligent, quick learner, strong, and agile. Calm, patient, easy going, and willing to hear out all sides before making a decision. Loyal to his packs, and will generally hold their safety of higher importance than completing a mission (provided failing the mission doesn't put a greater number at risk). All traits that make his command fiercely loyal to him in return. Can still put on a burst of speed and strength and try to compete with the younger dogs, although for a much shorter amount of time.
History: Had to "retire" from active duty early due to an injury that, although it healed completely, lead to early arthritis and joint problems that too hindered his mobility. Still more than willing to be a bit too close to the battlefield for his staff's peace of mind. Worries quietly to himself about the future.
Favorites: Outdoors
Dislikes: Fetch games (or duties that are meant only to fill time)
Theme Song?: http://youtu.be/srjbfOwd1Jk
Other Needed Information: Sorry for the terrible name - feel free to pick something else with any of these characters, of course!

The Corgi
Name: Pemmy
Gender: Female (though can be male, what does it matter any?)
Personality: Very intelligent, brave, and tenacious, with total focus paid to her career. Generally agreeable and nice in a vague "get along with the group" type of way, she does not seek out friendships nor want to know someone in a casual or social setting. First impressions mean a lot to her, as she doesn't want to waste much time figuring a person out - so if you make a poor one, expect it to haunt you for a long time. She won't waste time repeating something that failed the first time, or giving a second chance to a screw up. Ever alert and vigilant, she is ever dedicated to her duties at all times, with the mission always remaining of utmost importance.
History: Served active duty in intelligence retrieval and supply runs (spying and general thievery). Saw one battle, during a time when the base camp she was in was found and attacked directly by a cyborg cat, leaving little time for fancy maneuvers or holding back. She was part of a force that was attempting a rough sneak attack on the rear - when the cyborgcat turned to attack, everyone was supposed to scatter and attempt a regroup - Pemmy instead attacked it directly, attaching her teeth to the face, distracting and hindering it long enough for the others to attack it's flanks again. While recovering in hospital, her sire (a high ranked politician who was never happy with her career choice) arranged for her to be taken from active duty that would see direct combat. Although immensely dissatisfied with this new position, she was convinced to make the best of it and has continued to put her whole into service.
Favorites: Hunting, her job, fairytales, a weaved blanket from childhood
Dislikes: Gardening, being ignored, being bored
Theme Song?: http://youtu.be/GVPVbZ02QuA
Other Needed Information: ... I dunno

A song for the overall story, maybe? :
http://youtu.be/KjR-lFq4J90

These might be a bit... too generic? Nice? I dunno, but they're just supposed to be background characters so meh.

More artist talk that doesn't relate to the contest, this is more for me:
Anyways. Coloring isn't great; I could (and should have) spent more time actually fixing them, but I did them quick and kinda wanna leave their first version "for posterity" and to laugh at later. =D

BMD is blob colored. Pitbull is fine, painterly and my sister gave it her approval heh. Corgi is too orange to be red and what I'm gonna call a mix between crayola colored pencils and scribbling mess. Akita is "brindle why you so hard?" and "I'm too lazy after messing with the color to do the white, or any shading to speak of".

Thank goodness DannyHorseRules said an American Akita would work, or I'd be recoloring him right now lol =P (Which is just a reminder to self to make sure and get clarification in the future when there could be two ways of going about things, or it may not fall out so well next time.)

Edit: The forms have been heavily edited - my sister ripped the first drafts to shreds lol. It was quite amusing, especially this little sound she made when she heard the music choices for some of them - like her brain near literally skipping a beat :lol:
Anyways, she says these are about twenty times better. Considering the first drafts were probably in the negatives, I'm not gonna fool myself into thinking that means they're good :lol: Just passable for now. :P Must still find (appropriate! theme!) music.

Edit 2: Added a moustache BECAUSE I COULD :lol: It's on a separate, removable layer, along with a few other edits on the other dogs. I'm thinking of adding more grey onto the BMD.
I've been watching "Whisker Wars" too much xP
Last edited by clm on Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Image Image
ImageImageImage.
clm

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: lol Contest entry

Postby Suki~ » Thu May 05, 2011 2:15 am

Nice job! :thumbup:
Note to Mods: My sister is Rockin Robin! We share computers and trade! Please do not ban us!
Suki~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: lol Contest entry

Postby clm » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:06 am

Edited.

May still fiddle with it before the contest ends Friday.
Thinking of completely revamping the Corgi form and the others still need refining - but I can only really tell that the writing isn't very good, not really what I can do to fix it.

Also thinking of completely recoloring the Akita. Maybe the Pit too. Are the colors and markings too plain? Should I just make some flat cell shaded entries instead? Ah, choices,

OK I admit I haven't really thought about this all that much, until a song came on the radio that reminded me a couple days ago :P So yeah, I'm feeling jittery and doubt-y and hating all over this. lol
Image Image
ImageImageImage.
clm

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me