Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!

Click here to see the full Art Rules!
Need help using the Oekaki? Check out this Guide to the Oekaki!

Roll for Art! (Bring your own d20) by rem sleep

Artist rem sleep [gallery]
Time spent 2 hours, 24 minutes
Drawing sessions 1
61 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Versions of this drawing that people have created recently

Roll for Art! (Bring your own d20)

Postby rem sleep » Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:32 pm

Omiyage wrote:

Hello howdy! Sorry for the late reply, had a busy day.
Heres the perchance. Just press randomize. ^^

Roll For Art!

hi everyone! I've been feeling pretty creatively burnt out and unsure of what to make... so here's a funny challenge spawned from my uncertainty! this roll for art table requires a d20 (you can find ways to roll a d20 online if you don't have your own physical dice if you search 'roll d20' on google!) this roll table can also be used for making new OCs or for making a piece of art of an existing OC. for clarification on what I mean by each category, see the guide below and have fun!

simple rules areeee
      - you may skip rolling in any category if you so desire
      - you may reroll anything if you so desire, especially if certain traits/vibes/themes make you uncomfortable, this is about having fun so please don't feel any pressure to do something you don't want to
      - feel free to change stuff around! consider it an unofficial last step to add whatever prettying-up details you'd like at the end
      - for colors black and white are free to add to any palette. you're also welcome to use greys and hue-shift/mix the colors you roll.
      - have fun!! : D
      - you may use this sheet as many times as you want for whatever you want! : D feel free to do it multiple times, to use it for inspiration for adoptables/designs you're going to sell/trade, etc. the world is your oyster!

i'm just excited to test this out and id be interested to see someone else use it just to see what they make hehe

additionally im silly and a couple things are doubled (namely clumsy in the personality table and extra theme in the bonus table) but i am currently too tired to fix it, so it stays. builds character, i guess?? xD

roll for art guide

species

for making an OC this is what species they will be, for drawing an existing OC this is going to help you select what OC you are going to draw!
          1 - human - a classic! a very human-shaped oc
          2 - humanoid - clarification: humans with nonhuman characteristics like animal ears/tails, wings, non-human skin tones like blue or green, etc. can be things like teiflings, elves, etc. things that look pretty human shaped but aren't humans technically
          3 - cat - can be domestic or big cats
          4 - dog - can be domestic or wild dogs
          5 - kittydogs - clarification: a made up species by user kittydog on youtube, these are a mix of a cat and a dog. examples of what these look like can be seen in these bases by loxosceles, check em out!
          6 - wolf - technically not that different from a dog but i just want my wolfgirl phase to be appeased ok
          7 - dragon - can be a dragon or a drake (dragon without wings)
          8 - lizard - any kind of lizard or vaguely reptilian species
          9 - avian - any kind of bird or vaguely bird-like species
          10 - centaur - a human with the bottom half (four-legged) of a different animal, doesn't just have to be equine
          11 - horse - any kind of horse or vaguely horse-like species, can be unicorn/pegasus/alicorn/etc.
          12 - kirin - these are a mix between a horse and a dragon, they're usually depicted as having a horse-like body with dragon features such as horns, scales, and furred dragon tails.
          13 - MLP / my little pony - clarification: MLP is a specific style/kind of horse OC. MLP OCs are just drawn in a minimalistic style and feature cutie marks, markings on the flank that depict a symbol to denote the pony's special talent. search them up for more info!
          14 - pokemon - any kind of pokemon or pokemon-fusion/pokemon-inspired/pokemon-trainer OC
          15 - satyr - for purposes of this challenge, a human with the bottom half (two-legged) of a different animal, doesn't just have to be equine
          16 - chimera - for purposes of this challenge, any mix of two or more species
          17 - abstract - clarification: a creature that more closely resembles shapes or a doodle than any specific species, examples here
          18 - angel - any angel or angelic-like OC
          19 - demon - any demon or demonic-like OC
          20 - artist's choice!

colors
      for making your own OC this is what colors you will use as your base. black and white may be added for free, and you may also shift hues or change colors around if you'd like!
      if you're drawing a pre-existing OC, you can use only these colors as a color palette challenge, or color the background/their accessories/other aspects of the drawing in these colors but keep your OC's colors the same

theme
      for making your own OC, this is a vague theme for the character you'll be making! you can incorporate this a little or a lot
      if you're drawing a pre-existing OC, this theme will help you with the vibe/setting/aspects of the drawing you're going to be making
          1 - day - daytime, sun, sunny, could be the background for a drawing, sun motif could appear in your design/accessories
          2 - night - nighttime, moon, stars, could be the background for a drawing, moon/star motifs could appear in your design/accessories
          3 - sky - blue and white, cloudy, could be your background, clouds could appear in your design, you get the vibe by now
          4 - clown - could be general circus themes or you could make your new or existing OC into a clown with makeup and a fun costume, if you have a fear of clowns feel free to reroll this!
          5 - horror - general spooky themes, background or character design might be dark in color. knives, dripping marks/ink, spiderwebs, etc.
          6 - royal - kings, queens, princes, princesses, etc. castles, crowns, capes with furred collars and other such motifs
          7 - magical - can be interpreted (much like the others) however you like! could refer to wizards, warlocks, vampires, witches, etc. cauldrons, witch hats, wizard hats, blue with yellow star prints, magic books or particles, etc.
          8 - scholar - libraries, books, glasses, sweaters, tomes and maybe forbidden knowledge, scrolls
          9 - fallen - could mean a fallen angel, a fallen king, or just anyone who's fallen from grace or a previous standing of power, or a place they would prefer to be in
          10 - cutesy - think big eyes, sparkles, hearts, sweets galore, something that just makes you go 'awwwh'
          11 - creepy - think kind of like the horror theme but a little more dialed back, still spooky but not as intense
          12 - flowers - any kind of flowers! could do a flower field background, give your character flower decorations/growths, draw them with a bouquet (maybe one that means something cool in the language of flowers, or that was given to them by someone they have a special relationship with?)
          13 - somber - a sad or melancholy mood, may be indicated by rain, dark or greyish colors, wilting flowers, crying, just somewhat bittersweet
          14 - sparkles - a simpler one, put sparkles on your OC themselves or on the background around them. you can never have too many!!
          15 - cursed - maybe your character is cursed with something (bad luck? bad magic? a mutation?) or maybe they've cursed someone else. draw what that curse looks like either on them or while they're casting it.
          16 - aquatic - nautical themes! underwater background could be something you do, or make your OC into a mermaid. fish, anchors, fishing hooks, boats, seashells, bubbles, etc.
          17 - tattered - like a tattered garment, something that's torn up or beaten up, something that's in rough shape, maybe roguish vibes
          18 - holiday - any holiday theme will work! valentines day, christmas, whatever you're feeling
          19 - dessert - any dessert will work, cakes, candies, sweets, peppermints, cheesecakes, drizzles, toppings, whipped cream, cherries, fruit and cream, etc.
          20 - artist's choice!

accessories
      add at least this accessory to your new or existing OC! you can add more, but the accessory you roll must be included
          1 - none! no new accessory for you
          2 - cloak
          3 - jewelry - earrings, necklace(s), bracelet(s), etc.
          4 - crown
          5 - flower crown
          6 - bracelet
          7 - locket
          8 - amulet
          9 - tailcoat
          10 - mask - of any kind, can be half face or full face, etc.
          11 - TV head
          12 - hat - tophat, astronaut helmet, anything that goes on your head
          13 - weapon - sword, bow and arrow, dagger, etc.
          14 - staff
          15 - scarf
          16 - bandana
          17 - collar - with or without spikes
          18 - sprout - a little sprout with two leaves on top of your OC's head
          19 - companion(s) - add a little friend or two to keep your OC company! can be little animals or other sentient friends
          20 - artist's choice!

edits
      add at least this edit to your new or existing OC! you may add/have more, but at least the edit you roll must be added.
      if your OC already has this edit, feel free to add more! (ex; if they have feathers already, you could give them some more decorative feathers, same with scales, wings, etc!)
          1 - none! no new edit for you
          2 - leather wings - think bat wings or dragon wings
          3 - scales
          4 - horn(s)
          5 - many eyes - feel free to reroll if you are uncomfy with the extra eyes trait!
          6 - plant growth - flowers, vines, leaves, mushrooms, etc.
          7 - feathers
          8 - extra limbs - feel free to reroll if you are uncomfy with the extra limbs trait! if your character doesn't have limbs you can give them some, or this could also refer to wings, etc.
          9 - big hair
          10 - gems
          11 - extra ears
          12 - transparency
          13 - hoop
          14 - halo(s)
          15 - extra tails
          16 - tailmouth
          17 - feathered wings
          18 - spikes
          19 - many wings - more than one set of wings, any type you'd like
          20 - artist's choice!

markings
      if you're making an OC, this is to help you pick what markings to give them!
      if you're drawing a pre-existing OC, you don't need to incorporate these markings if you don't want to, but you could add some motif from them to your background/accessories/effects
          1 - classic tabby markings
          2 - space themed markings - planets / stars / galaxies
          3 - heart markings
          4 - bone / skeletal markings
          5 - gradient
          6 - star markings - specifically 5-point or 4-point stars
          7 - arcade / retro carpet markings
          8 - circle markings
          9 - paint splatter / spotty markings
          10 - spiral markings
          11 - tiger stripe markings
          12 - broken spot / leopard markings
          13 - solid stripe markings
          14 - drippy markings
          15 - thylacine stripe markings
          16 - stitch markings
          17 - abstract rose markings
          18 - broken heart marking
          19 - checker markings
          20 - artist's choice!

personality
      if you're making a new OC this is to help you pick their personality, but it more or less refers to the expression/pose you'll draw your character with for the piece!
          1 - sweet
          2 - scary
          3 - soft
          4 - edgy
          5 - sassy
          6 - sleepy
          7 - aggressive
          8 - artsy
          9 - clumsy
          10 - serious
          11 - silly
          12 - daydreamer
          13 - clumsy
          14 - sad
          15 - cocky
          16 - shy
          17 - cold
          18 - energetic
          19 - hot-headed
          20 - artist's choice!

bonus!
      this roll will give you one more thing to add to your OC or drawing!
          1 - none! no extra bonus for you
          2 - add one extra accessory - roll another d20 to get another accessory from the accessories table and add it
          3 - add one extra edit - roll another d20 to get another edit from the edits table and add it
          4 - add one extra theme - roll another d20 to get another theme from the themes table and add it
          5 - add one color - roll another d20 to get another set of colors from the color table, pick one color from the palette you roll and add it
          6 - add one extra theme
          7 - add one extra personality trait - roll another d20 to get another personality trait from the personality table and add it
          8 - add one species - roll another d20 to get another species from the species table and add it somehow into your drawing (you could splice it into your OC/design, or doodle a little character that is that species, or just incorporate a trait from said species, etc.)
          9 - decorate more - add more decorations to your piece! you could add more accessories to your OC, sparkles or particles to your background, etc.
          10 - add too much - add EVEN MORE detail! add stuff until you feel like you can't add more, this could be designing/patterning, detailing, accessories, edits, etc. just do it do all of it
          11 - double something - does your OC have two bracelets? now they have four! do they have three wings? give them six! are there two tress in the background? make it four! find one aspect of your design or drawing and double it!
          12 - inspiration folder - go to your folder of inspiration images/palettes/vibes and incorporate aspects into your design/drawing
          13 - triple something - much like double something (see above), except instead of double, it's triple! so two bracelets is now six, etc.
          14 - google search - google a word relating to your character/design and somehow incorporate aspects from the first image that comes up
          15 - music shuffle - put on your music and shuffle a random song, incorporate aspects from the first random song that comes up when you shuffle your playlist
          16 - bling bonus - add more jewelry/bling to your OC/design
          17 - add sharpness - somehow add more harp aspects/lines to your drawing/design
          18 - add softness - somehow add more soft aspects/rounded lines to your drawing/design
          19 - ask a friend - ask a friend of yours what this design/drawing needs! you could show them the design/drawing, or for maximum chaos don't show them
          20 - artist's choice!

this last roll is meant to be done AFTER you've finished your design/drawing! it is the wild magic roll!
      (you do not have to do wild magic in order to complete this challenge, but it is fun)

wild magic

1 - change palette - change the color palette of your design/drawing, re-roll your palette from the colors table and swap the color palette from your original roll to your new one
          2 - change one color - change one color of your design/drawing to a different one, roll again on the colors table to get a palette and select one color from that palette to swap with
          3 - change theme - reroll your theme from the themes table and swap your current theme for that one
          4 - add a species - roll another species from the species table and incorporate it somehow into your OC/drawing
          5 - opposite - take some aspect of your piece (or your entire piece if you're feeling wild) and make it the OPPOSITE of what it was before-- have a sweet shy character? make them sharp and scary! have a scary dragon? make them cutesy! you can also make one or more colors the opposite of itself using inversion or by checking their opposites on the color wheel. interpret this however makes most sense to you!
          6 - pigment mutation - give your OC/design a pigment mutation - piebald, ethyrism, leucism, albinism, melanism, chimerism, etc.
          7 - genesplice - add a genesplice of some kind to your OC/design! you can select it yourself, or if you're feeling wild roll another species from the species table and utilize that
          8 - fandom - add a fandom aspect to your design from a fandom you enjoy! this could be anything from troll horns from homestuck to an eevee hat from pokemon!
          9 - change one trait - roll again on the edits table and get a new edit, swap any trait on your OC/design out for the newly rolled edit
          10 - invert - invert the colors of your drawing/piece
          11 - magic powers - add some sort of magical power to your piece, could be in the use of particles/wispy design aspects/glowing eyes/etc.
          12 - filters - using layers and different effects add filters to your art, add as many or as few as you like until you have something you're happy with!
          13 - distortion - add some sort of distortion to your drawing! could be stray pixels, duplication of the lineart in different colors, etc.
          14 - slime - make some aspect of your design/drawing slimey/made of slime!
          15 - draw on top - draw over top of your existing design/drawing and add something new -- maybe halos, powers, magic particles, or something of the like, or background elements, whatever you want! just doodle over top of the drawing you already did
          16 - music inspired - shuffle your playlist and get a random song, then incorporate aspects of the song into your drawing, maybe the vibe or the lyrics?
          17 - draw behind - similar to draw on top (see above) but draw behind the drawing you just made, maybe add wings or background elements, etc. just doodle something behind what you just drew
          18 - change the vibe - change the vibe of your piece in whatever way makes sense to you! have a sad piece before? somehow make it happy! have a happy piece before? make it sad!
          19 - safe! no wild magic for you.
          20 - artist's choice!
Last edited by rem sleep on Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
♥ ♥ ♥
rem sleep - they / them
nocturnal artist, socially awkward
♥ ♥ ♥
umasstorkies
closed species bank
♥ ♥ ♥

rem sleep

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Roll for Art! (Bring your own d20)

Postby COOLDOGOOO » Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:37 pm

Mark! This seems so much fun!
Also, are we allowed to use a personal base for this/sell the design? If not that's totally fine! <3
had severe oekaki art block for a while, slowly trying to get back to doing comms- please let me know if i owe you art in case i forgot!! <3

my toyhouse <3

Check out Vidapup's free
sig pets
! <3

Please consider commissioning me; I appreciate it a lot! <3

had last 1426 oekaki
COOLDOGOOO

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Omiyage » Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:46 pm

I got:
9 Avian Species (Actually rolled a 20 at first so I rerolled.)
4 Palette
2 Night Theme
11 TV Head Accessory :lol:
16 Tailmouth Edit
1 Classic Tabby Markings
6 Sleepy Personality (relatable)
13 Triple Something Bonus

This was so fun. If you'd like I could make a free and simple perchance for easy rolling, do let me know if that interests you. It'd let you roll all at once and show the result in the page. ^^
Omiyage

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby mothmate » Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:52 pm

mark
┌─────┐

└─────┘
┌──────────────┐

Hello, world!

My name is Moth or August
Been using CS since 2015!
Feel free 2 PM me for anything
Mothmate virtually everywhere
I am an adult!

└──────────────┘
mothmate

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rem sleep » Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:53 pm

COOLDOGOOO wrote:Mark! This seems so much fun!
Also, are we allowed to use a personal base for this/sell the design? If not that's totally fine! <3

you can certainly sell the designs or use this for a personal base situation! by all means go for it! >:D the hard work is totally yours in that case, I only provided some ideas >:3 that is totally fine by me!

Omiyage wrote:

I got:
4 Palette
2 Night Theme
16 Tailmouth Edit
1 Classic Tabby Markings

This was so fun. If you'd like I could make a free and simple perchance for easy rolling, do let me know if that interests you. It'd let you roll all at once and show the result in the page. ^^

that would be really cool actually!! if you wouldn't mind that would be really awesome! :'0c thank you so much!!
♥ ♥ ♥
rem sleep - they / them
nocturnal artist, socially awkward
♥ ♥ ♥
umasstorkies
closed species bank
♥ ♥ ♥

rem sleep

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby COOLDOGOOO » Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:19 pm

Omiyage wrote:

I got:
4 Palette
2 Night Theme
16 Tailmouth Edit
1 Classic Tabby Markings

A perchance would be awesome- saves me the time of rolling over and over again :lol: <3
had severe oekaki art block for a while, slowly trying to get back to doing comms- please let me know if i owe you art in case i forgot!! <3

my toyhouse <3

Check out Vidapup's free
sig pets
! <3

Please consider commissioning me; I appreciate it a lot! <3

had last 1426 oekaki
COOLDOGOOO

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby snowdrake » Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:27 pm

these are the rolls I got:
    12 - kirin
    2 - greyscale + cyan
    11 - creepy
    15 - scarf
    8 - extra limbs
    6 - star markings
    4 - edgy
    10 - add too much
    and because I apparently can't read I also did the last roll already lol oops
    15 - draw on top

this sounds like such a dude tbh! I think I'll pair it with a a screenface base! so creepy screenface edge kirin lol

thanks a bunch for this sheet! I always struggle so much to come up with design ideas aaah
things just got a lot more relaxed for me, I'll be able to be online more often! responses still won't be instant most times, sorry </3
snowdrake

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby nio » Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:39 pm

ohhh this looks fun! mark!
sun !! he/she/they/any — adult awst cs th