Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!

Click here to see the full Art Rules!
Need help using the Oekaki? Check out this Guide to the Oekaki!

Eyes practice 2 by Willow.cat

Artist Willow.cat [gallery]
Time spent 1 hour, 9 minutes
Drawing sessions 2
11 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Eyes practice 2

Postby Willow.cat » Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:42 am

Playing around with the different layer settings, turned from a doodle to something i ended up really liking!
Not sure why i keep picking the color purple to do these, i guess it looks the best :/
The previous one

Willow - any prns - unlabeled
digital artist & daydreamer

..............1 lion left!!
Willow.cat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Eyes practice 2

Postby COOLDOGOOO » Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:47 am

It looks amazing! Could you make a tutorial? I suck at eyes >w<
had severe oekaki art block for a while, slowly trying to get back to doing comms- please let me know if i owe you art in case i forgot!! <3

my toyhouse <3

Check out Vidapup's free
sig pets
! <3

Please consider commissioning me; I appreciate it a lot! <3

had last 1426 oekaki
COOLDOGOOO

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Willow.cat » Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:23 am

COOLDOGOOO wrote:It looks amazing! Could you make a tutorial? I suck at eyes >w<

Thank you! How i did it is i first drew the lines of the eyes. This is just me, but i made it a bit easier by setting the smoothing to around 70. Then i made a new layer under it and filled it in with color to make the sclera/eye "white". Then, i drew an oval for the iris/eye color. I drew another smaller oval for the pupil. To shade it, i made the pupil "clip to the layer below" on the iris, made a new layer above both the pupil and iris, made it clip to the layer below too, use the airbrush, use white and color the bottom of the iris and pupil. Then, i set the layer setting to be "Overlay". Then i made another layer above it, made it clip to the layer below, used the airbrush, used black and colored the top of the eye. Then, i made a layer above those layers and used the pencil, used black and colored most of the top of the eye. Then, i set the layer setting to soft light and turned down the opacity a little. Then, i made a layer above that one and colored on more of the top of the eye but left some of the layer below visible. I set the layer to soft light too. Then, i made a new layer above those two and did the same thing. Color the top of the eye, leave some of the other two layers visible and set it to soft light. To make the eye highlights, for the smaller one below i made a small sideways oval and color it to be the same color as the iris but made it much lighter so its almost white. I then set the layer setting to " Vivid Light" and turn down the opacity a little. For the bigger one, i made a bigger oval and made it the same color as the iris again but lighter, except i make it almost white. For the crescent-shaped highlight at the bottom of the eye i made the crescent shape, turned down the opacity a little and set it to linear light.

I dont really know how to explain it so that may or may not make sense. If it doesn't make sense then feel free to ask any questions, or i can add you to the drawing so you can "study" it!

Willow - any prns - unlabeled
digital artist & daydreamer

..............1 lion left!!
Willow.cat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby COOLDOGOOO » Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:29 am

/_Willow_\ wrote:
COOLDOGOOO wrote:It looks amazing! Could you make a tutorial? I suck at eyes >w<

Thank you! How i did it is i first drew the lines of the eyes. This is just me, but i made it a bit easier by setting the smoothing to around 70. Then i made a new layer under it and filled it in with color to make the sclera/eye "white". Then, i drew an oval for the iris/eye color. I drew another smaller oval for the pupil. To shade it, i made the pupil "clip to the layer below" on the iris, made a new layer above both the pupil and iris, made it clip to the layer below too, use the airbrush, use white and color the bottom of the iris and pupil. Then, i set the layer setting to be "Overlay". Then i made another layer above it, made it clip to the layer below, used the airbrush, used black and colored the top of the eye. Then, i made a layer above those layers and used the pencil, used black and colored most of the top of the eye. Then, i set the layer setting to soft light and turned down the opacity a little. Then, i made a layer above that one and colored on more of the top of the eye but left some of the layer below visible. I set the layer to soft light too. Then, i made a new layer above those two and did the same thing. Color the top of the eye, leave some of the other two layers visible and set it to soft light. To make the eye highlights, for the smaller one below i made a small sideways oval and color it to be the same color as the iris but made it much lighter so its almost white. I then set the layer setting to " Vivid Light" and turn down the opacity a little. For the bigger one, i made a bigger oval and made it the same color as the iris again but lighter, except i make it almost white. For the crescent-shaped highlight at the bottom of the eye i made the crescent shape, turned down the opacity a little and set it to linear light.

I dont really know how to explain it so that may or may not make sense. If it doesn't make sense then feel free to ask any questions, or i can add you to the drawing so you can "study" it!

I'm SO sorry I didn't reply sooner! <3 This helps a lot! Thank you! <3333 :D
had severe oekaki art block for a while, slowly trying to get back to doing comms- please let me know if i owe you art in case i forgot!! <3

my toyhouse <3

Check out Vidapup's free
sig pets
! <3

Please consider commissioning me; I appreciate it a lot! <3

had last 1426 oekaki
COOLDOGOOO

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes