Heartcatch! #289-290 by malhare

Based on Click to view
Artist malhare [gallery]
Time spent 27 minutes
Drawing sessions 4
23 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Heartcatch! #289-290

Postby malhare » Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:47 am

Main page - Artist search - Starters - Archive -Quests - Evolutions - MYOS - Nursery

Looks at calendar. It's Halloween ... right? Right?
Two eerie fellas with similar colour palettes because the idea seemed (and was) fun! Both standard typing.
These guys are gonna be another little mini-contest from me bc I don't like raffles as much.
Simply answer the prompt! Extras like art or sprucing up the post are allowed! No word limit this time.
You can enter for both, but only win one.

Dusknoir: What is their signature move, and why?
Quilava: What turned its fire blue?

End Date: 07/07

Code: Select all
 [b]Username + ID:[/b]
[b]Archive:[/b]
[b]Pokemon name:[/b]
[b]Pokemon typing: [/b] [Fire for Quilava, Ghost for Dusknoir]
[b]pokemon pronouns:[/b]
[b]prompt:[/b]

Last edited by malhare on Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AM ★ he/him or it/its

★ artist, writer ★ oc hoarder ★
★ guinea pig dad ★ pagan ★
★ video game & psychological horror fan ★

★ barely off-hiatus - message me if you need anything from before i was gone! ★

malhare

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Heartcatch! #284-285

Postby NightWolf950 » Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:01 pm

Username + ID: NightWolf950 - 34891
Archive: Here
Pokemon name: Heizu
Pokemon typing: Ghost
pokemon pronouns: they/them
prompt: Heizu's signature move would have to be phantom force. They use this move to aide in being stealthy and allow them to land a powerful blow to unsuspecting enemies. They also like that move can bypass protective shields. Heizu however uses phantom force either as a starting or ending move, to gaint the upper hand or to finish the battle.
Last edited by NightWolf950 on Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
NightWolf950

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Velot » Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:01 pm

Mark <3
Velot

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby 0Zero0 » Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:14 pm

definitely entering for quilava if I have time.
xxxx
Image Image Image Image

〘 Shoto ✜ ♀ ✜ ImageImage
╒══════════════════════╕
x
Text will go here
╘══════════════════════╛
Gifs Offical art Yu Yu Hakusho
0Zero0

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Knickknacks » Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:57 pm

Username + ID: knickknacks + 815546
Archive: xxx
Pokemon name: Erebus
Pokemon typing: fire
pokemon pronouns: he/him
prompt: [1401 words]

"It sure is cold in here," a gruff traveler snorted, curling his tail further about him in an attempt to shut out the wintery cold. Glancing balefully over to where Erebus sat, he continued, "It sure would be nice to have a fire right about now."

"I've told you before," Erebus snapped, tugging his threadbare blanket tighter about himself. "I can't." He rolled over, determined not to rise to their taunts. He'd joined up with these travelers as a matter of necessity- they were heading in the same direction, safety in numbers and all that- but was rather beginning to regret it. What had started out as a quiet interest in his lack of flames had turned into snide comments that got all the sharper as the weather got colder. Erebus resolved that after this trip, he would not travel through icy regions again if he could help it. Never had he experienced accommodations more uncomfortable than this drafty shelter they found themselves in.

He supposed he could not entirely blame them, being grumpy because of the cold. He was miserable too- and what he wouldn't give to be able to summon flames for himself.

- - - - -

Blessedly, he was able to part ways with his companions rather soon after- upon arriving at a local guild, the rest of the party opted to continue on, while Erebus had chosen to rest a bit more. He'd become ill with some sort of cold after his venture into the mountains- however fire resistant his fur might be, it hadn't seemed to do him much good against the winter chill. When he'd asked about the possibility of medical services, the guild members had been all too happy to provide- and so Erebus stayed.

The medic of the guild, a hesitant-seeming goodra, expressed some concern at his complete lack of flames.

"Could it be genetic?" she mused during one of her visits to his quarters, tapping thoughtfully at her chin with one sticky hand. "Do you have other types in the family- perhaps one that you manifest more strongly?"

"Not that I know of," Erebus replied, a bit tiredly. "It's always been this way."

"Hmm. I'm afraid we don't have many fire types at this guild, but there is one you could try talking to. Perhaps she'd have some advice for you. Would you like me to set up a meeting? She's very friendly, I assure you."

Part of Erebus considered saying no- a cynical part of him, insisting that there was no changing his condition, that he was better off not even trying for fear of getting his hopes up and then being disappointed. But another part of him was seized by a fragile thread of hope at the words. Maybe he would be able to learn something from this mysterious stranger- and besides, even if nothing changed, he thought he might go a bit mad if he didn't get outside and do something productive soon.

"I would like that," he said, nodding decisively before he could talk himself out of it. "Thank you."

The goodra beamed, patted his cheek happily, and bustled out the door without another word, positively hopping from foot to foot. It was probably just as well that she'd gone, Erebus figured, so that she didn't see him grimacing and trying to scrub the gooey residue she'd left behind out of his fur.

- - - - -

"So you've never been able to summon flames- at all?"

Whatever Erebus might have pictured of the mysterious fire type he had been scheduled with- it had not been this. Wesley was perfectly nice, of course, but Erebus didn't think he'd ever met anyone who talked as much as this young fletchinder. He shook his head in response to her query, setting off another wave of excited foot tapping and curious little shrugs of her wings while she thought.

"Very interesting," she said, blinking at him. "If you don't mind my asking, then- how were you able to evolve?" Her head tilted curiously to one side, eager for an answer.

"It was... more an instinctual thing than anything relating to my fighting prowess or moves," Erebus recalled, tilting his own head to one side. Good grief, she was already rubbing off on him. "I just- from what I can recall, it was an instance where I turned to fight rather than backing away or curling into my shell. Took a stand to try and defend myself. The next thing I knew- I was certainly a bit taller, to say the least."

"Hmm. So the lack of fire isn't from any lack of physical strength, it would seem," Wesley mused. "Maybe it has to do with... motivation!"

"Motivation." Erebus fixed her with an unimpressed stare.

"Yeah!" She didn't seem to pick up on his skepticism, feathers all ruffled up with excitement. "I've heard of fire types' flames dimming when they're upset, or sick, or unmotivated. Since we've established that it's not a genetic thing or a sickness, and you seem pretty emotionally stable to me-"

"Ha ha," Erebus retorted dryly, sticking his tongue out at her. He couldn't suppress the wry smile that crept onto his face.

"Then, following logically," Wesley continued, putting a special emphasis on the last word, "it's likely that it has something to do with your motivations- or lack thereof. You were spurred to evolve in a moment of crisis, out of a desire to protect yourself- but even that wasn't strong enough to reignite your flames, for some reason. Can you think of anything else you feel strongly about, that we might capitalize on in order to produce a reaction?"

"I- don't think so. I'm sorry." Erebus shrugged helplessly at her. "I thank you for trying to help, but I don't think we're going to figure it out like this. I've talked it out with others before, and none of their suggestions have worked."

He didn't want to get his hopes, or Wesley's up, only to be disappointed. But something about the crestfallen look on her face as he turned to go prompted him to leave with:

"I'll keep that thing about motivation in mind, though. I haven't heard that one before."

- - - - -

"You can repay me for my magnificent advice," Wesley had said, "by accompanying me on my next commission! It'll be good to have a friend along."

And so that was how Erebus found himself trekking through a twisting cave system alongside Wesley and another guild member, a tall zoroark who'd introduced herself as Raleigh and said nothing since then.

That was also how they found themselves beset by a gang of bandits, who had apparently been trailing them, after the same treasure they were trying to retrieve. Turns out the merchant's lost cargo they'd been tasked with recovering was more valuable than they'd realized.

Erebus found himself backed up to one of the stone walls of the narrow tunnel, growling at the would-be thieves, trying to see where the others had got to. Their assailants had wisely tried to split the three of them up- he could see Raleigh grappling with a few, brows furrowed in quiet concentration, doubtless attempting to call up some sort of illusion to help them.

And then there was Wesley, fluttering as high overhead as the tunnel's low ceiling would allow her, dipping sharply to fend off bandits before flapping out of their grasp. Erebus glanced over all of this, attempting to take in as much of the chaos of the scene as he could- before a glint of torchlight on metal caught his eye.

One of the bandits had a spear- a long, wickedly pointed one that could easily knock Wesley to the ground. Erebus' gaze darted nervously about, hoping she would notice- but his friend's back was turned.

She hadn't seen it, and was in danger, his friend was in danger and would get hurt if he didn't do something now-

Without thinking about it, Erebus charged forward, slipping deftly around the thugs that had been cornering him. He moved as fast as his legs could carry him, determined to save his teammate, to at the very least try-

-and that determination sparked a fire in him. The hot jolt of fear for his friend, followed by anger and desperation, awoke something that had been blocked in Erebus.

And in the face of this intensity of feeling?

Erebus' flames burst into light- and they burned blue.
Last edited by Knickknacks on Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Knickknacks

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Wyvern Queen Kym » Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:04 pm

🔹Username + ID🔹
Wyvern Queen Kym (416790)
🔹Archive🔹
Here!
🔹Pokemon name🔹
Lucien
🔹Pokemon typing🔹
Fire
🔹Pokemon pronouns🔹
He/him

🔹Prompt:🔹
The story of how Lucien came to have the blue flames people now know him for is…an odd one. He doesn’t mind sharing, though! It all started when he was still a Cyndaquil. Back then, all that was on Lucien’s mind was the excitement that came with acing his exams to get into the alchemy program of House Rosewind. House Rosewind was well renowned for their alchemy and other supernatural affairs, after all, and there was no higher crowning achievement than being selected for the Royal Alchemists Rose Court.

Months deep into his time in the alchemy program, one of the instructors had made mention that the Head Alchemist of the Rose Court would be visiting them in a few days to see if any of this year’s new blood should be put on the fast-track to success: A potential mentorship from the Head Alchemist themselves! Excitement took over Lucien as they elaborated on what their task was: Make the most fantastical potion that they possibly could for observation by the Head Alchemist.

Lucien saw the opportunity to make all of his dreams come true. No longer would he just simply be the outcast! The Cyndaquil that people didn’t understand how he managed to get in. No… this was his chance to make sure that no one would ever forget the name Lucien Montebank. He wasn’t going to mess this up!

…is what Lucien thought when he settled down at his private quarters at the academy. He just had to make something so incredible that he was sure to be picked out of the crowd of far more impressive students! So, he set off to work. What would bring the attention of the Head Alchemist straight to him? Transformation elixirs were overdone, revival serums never worked the way that the alchemist intended…think Lucien, think! As he sat there, stumped, a thought crossed his mind: What if he invented a way to change the imbiber to their shiny form? It was UNHEARD of! Changing to other species temporarily was something that many people had done; after all, ditto had revolutionized that field years ago here in House Rosewind.

But changing one’s colors, much less to one of the rarest alterations of their kind? That had never been attempted before. Lucien hurried as fast as his legs would carry him down to the academy library. He had to get some help from the Tropius working the library to reach the high up shelves where the research on Pinkan Island had been stowed away. As an alchemist under the watch of the academy, he fortunately had the permission needed to look at these documents. Some of the other first-years watched him with confusion as he directed the librarian to each tome he needed. Just what was he up to exactly…?

Lucien would learn a lot from the books he grabbed. ‘Pinkan Isle Mysteries’ told him a lot about how a peculiar berry known as a Pinkan Berry had turned all Pokemon there pink. ‘Color Change and You’ was a guidebook for Kecleon about how their special quirks as chameleons worked. ‘120 Patterns of Vivillion’ told him even more about the ways that some Pokemon simply were gifted with many forms of change. However, the more he read, the more confident he became that this plan was just crazy enough to work.

He came back to his room with a solid plan in mind… and a lot of new reagents. Pinkan berries, Kecleon shed, crushed shiny stone and water from Evershifting Sea were just a few of the things that the Cyndaquil had chosen to use in his efforts to concoct an elixir that could give a Pokemon its shiny form. Lucien was so confident, in fact, that he elected to pull several all nighters to finish this on time!

While the first few batches temporarily turned him pink, invisible, made him glow like a nightlight or even temporarily gave him a weird pixelly pattern that he couldn’t begin to describe, Lucien was sure that he was on the right track. As the deadline approached, he finally had concocted an elixir that appeared to render its drinker their shiny form…albeit very temporarily. It was revolutionary! Joy had sprung to Lucien’s heart. This had to be enough! Though, a few seconds wasn’t very much time at all.

Maybe it was the sleep deprivation that led Lucien to the mistake of adding the final ingredient: Essence of Song of Time. In theory (at least, to his sleepy brain) it would resolve the problem and make the effects of his elixir permanent! He didn’t have time to make another elixir-- nor did he have enough ingredients left to make another attempt. He would simply have to hope that this would be enough to score him a mentorship with the Head Alchemist come tomorrow. With his heart full of hope, Lucien finally took a well deserved rest until the morning.

Once morning came, Lucien hurried with his elixir and scribbled notes in hand to make sure he wasn’t late to class. Quite the contrary, in fact: He was earlier than even the instructor. The only person that sat in the room upon his arrival was a figure sporting a massive witch hat adorned with vibrant silver roses. Lucien’s heart skipped a beat. Was that was the Head Alchemist?? It was rather hard to make out the Pokemon’s true form underneath the cloak and hat, but Lucien found himself approached and greeted with a warm voice.

“It is nice to see one of this year’s students is so enthusiastic that he’d show up TWO hours early…”
“U-Uh-- yeah! Yeah. I just…”

Lucien’s words were losing footing, the man laughing nervously as he set his elixir onto his desk. The faint glow of the alchemist’s eyes could be seen under the hat as they inspected the potion.

“How…intriguing. What is this, young one?”
“O-Oh! Uh, this?? This is what I call the Shiny-fier! I-If you drink it, you will find yourself permanently changed to your rare form! I-Isn’t that incredible??”

Yet another nervous laugh escaped him-- but no laughter followed in the empty room. He hadn’t really anticipated that he would be here getting judged alone by the Head Alchemist. He didn’t think anyone ever showed up this early besides him!!

“Well? Go on, then. Drink.”

Lucien’s heart jumped into his throat. He had to drink this NOW?? What about his instructor?? His peers?? On the other hand, if this failed, he wouldn’t have to face the laughter and scrutiny of his class…and so the Cyndaquil took the potion in hand and uncorked it. Bottoms up, he supposed, tilting it back and downing the elixir.

At first glance, the elixir seemed to be working. His fur shifted from blue to a reddish brown, and the Head Alchemist took a step back in surprise. Lucien puffed out his chest proudly, his flames poking out from his back in pride. He had done it! Even if he wasn’t chosen, surely this would be enough to earn him prestige above his peers! It was a revolution! He would go down in history as one of the brightest minds of their age--

And then his fur shifted color again to a darker bluish black. The clenched hand in front of him shifted to a faint white-- and he was horrified. It worked yesterday night! What had went wrong?! The flames on his back had continued to burn brightly..and soon they, too, changed. It was an alluring blue, much like one would expect of ghostfire. Lucien frowned, waiting for his body to shift again. It must have still been temporary, right?

Except this time, nothing happened. Even after the deafening silence of two straight minutes, nothing changed. The blue light illuminated the Head Alchemist’s hat and cloak, but still gave no more for him to go off on in regards to how they were feeling about what had just happened. Lucien began to panic internally. Did he do something wrong?? Well, technically yes as he clearly wasn’t a shiny but still! Was he going to be laughed out of the room?? Expelled?? Would he even be able to see his parents again and have them recognize him as the same Cyndaquil he was before? So many questions swam through his head, his legs trembling as he debated on simply running--

“Absolutely fascinating!”
The voice gave him some pause. What?
“I have never before seen a Cyndaquil change their -flames-, young one. What did you say your name was?”
”L-Lucien! I-It’s Lucien.”
“Well, Lucien…you have a VERY bright future ahead of you. It is clear that your…Shiny-fier needs some work…but! What you have accomplished in its stead is nothing short of incredible. I would be honored if you were to join me at the Royal Rose Court as my apprentice.”

Lucien thought he was dreaming-- and as his body began to glow vibrantly, that dream only seemed more likely. His form extended out, the flames now rippling down his entire lower back and his fur becoming that much fluffier. Maybe it was the effort he put into making this potion, or the excitement of being offered apprenticeship. Whatever it was, he was evolving right here, right now. As the glow faded, the ghostlike light of his new flames continued to burn.

“C-Certainly, H-Head Alchemist! I would be honored!”
“Just Z will do fine, Lucien. Let us go-- it may seem unfair to the other students, but…I was much like you once.”

Lucien resolved to always put his all into his work, especially now that his mistake had actually earned him his dream apprenticeship. As such, the blue flames that he had accidentally created now served as a very fond reminder of where he is now and what it took for him to get to this point. It was a statement of hard work paying off, even if the results weren’t quite what one expected. His mentor simply hopes that Lucien doesn’t try his hand at changing the flames of other pokemon with that ‘revolutionary’ idea of his any time soon..

1684 words. I had a lot of fun with this particular prompt!

I absolutely love snakes & dragons, and am always happy to receive them.
I'm also always happy to get new scenery items and King Costumes.

I have Giftbombed: 87 people
I have been Giftbombed: 26 times
Giftwars Had: 16
Giftwars Won: 5
Dreamies Achieved: 13
Dreamies Given: 22
COFAGRIGUS #0563

Alphy / Keasan / Kym
Any pronouns! :3c
Wyvern Queen Kym

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby EchoIre » Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:15 pm

Username + ID: EchoIre 798835
Archive: Here
Pokemon name: Shakil
Pokemon typing: Ghost
pokemon pronouns: they/them
prompt:
Shakil would like others to think that their signature move is something like Shadow Stalk or Future Sight. Not really out of a want for others to fear them - though having an intimidation factor going into a battle is nice - but more because whenever anybody finds out that their signature move is Bind they always ask why. It's a useful move, sure, but wouldn't Shakil put more focus on something else? Something stronger, something more Ghost type?

It's embarrassing! And then they almost always find out why and that's even more embarrassing - so what if they like to hug their trainer?! What, just because they're a Ghost type their signature move has to be something scary like Mean Face or Shadow Ball? It's not like they were trying to make Bind their signature move or anything! It just kinda... happened.

So, yes, Shakil - an dreadful Dusknoir - hugged their trainer so much that Bind became their signature move. And while they may be embarrassed by that, they certainly aren't embarrassed about hugging their trainer in the slightest, and will hug them in front of just about anybody. Shakil is anything but affection-shy towards those they love, and their signature move proves it.
Last edited by EchoIre on Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
EchoIre

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheGodessOfMischief » Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:58 pm

Username + ID: TheGodessOfMischief 395115

Archive: X

Pokemon name: Solev

Pokemon typing: Fire

pokemon pronouns: He/Him

prompt:

"It's so dark.." Solev whimpered, ducking under a low hanging branch in his path. Surely his family had to be somewhere in this forest . . right?

There! he spotted a flash of movement ahead and bolted forwards calling out, "Mama! Papa!" As he neared the spot he'd seen it,he felt his paws give out from under him.
No. The ground gave out, and he went tumbling down a muddy slope. The fall left him winded and soaking wet in a pile of damp leaves.
He began to sob, curling into a ball. All he wanted was his mum, but he hadn't seen her or his family in days.

"Are you lost little one?" A soft voice questioned from above him. Solev peeked up and gasped at the sight of a shiny Ponyta looking down at him curiously. He sniffed and wiped a muddy paw over his face. "Mmhm. I-I don't know where my family is." He muttered. The Ponyta smiled, crouching to pick him up. "My name's Tera, let's see if we can't find your family somewhere"

----------------------------
Unfortunately, Solev never could find where his family had disappeared to. But he began a new life with Tera, who looked after him like a mother.

He grew with her, and always admired her blue flames. One day however, there paths crossed with an angry Pignite, who attacked the two. Tera fought to protect Solev, but as it looked like she would win, the Pignite struck her down. Solev was furious, and defended his new mother.

She'd gotten the Pignite low enough that Solev was able to knock it unconscious, and get his mother to safety. As he did he felt his body rush with energy, and in what seemed like a blink. He was larger? No. He'd evolved into a Quilava!

And even better his flames now matched that of Tera, and seemed much brighter against his dark pelt. When Tera awoke she was so proud of him, and told him so as they continued their travels as a family.

✫ ✫ ✫ ✫ ✫ ✫ ✫ ✫ ✫ ✫ ✫ ✫ ✫
”I'm dumb I dont need to be smart!”
Quinn ☓ He/Him ☓ NZ Artist
Adopt Clearout©
✫ ✫ ✫ ✫ ✫ ✫ ✫ ✫ ✫ ✫ ✫ ✫ ✫
TheGodessOfMischief

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Heartcatch! #289-290

Postby Kiinotasha » Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:57 pm

Username + ID: Kiinotasha #162565
Archive: https://toyhou.se/kiinotasha/characters/folder:3336659
Pokemon name: Sulphur
pokemon pronouns: she/her
prompt: This Quilava lived in a small group not far from a large group of hot springs. Sulphuric yellow crystal like growths were spread around the area and smelled rather tempting for the group of fire pokemon. They could often be found chewing on them and eating the pieces that broke off. Upon evolving Sulphur’s fur color and flames had changed due to the ingestion of the natural chemical.
Image Image<3
Kiinotasha

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Heartcatch! #289-290

Postby raiden » Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:40 pm

Username + ID: raiden 739226
    Archive: th
    Pokemon name: Willow
    pokemon pronouns: she they he
    prompt: What turned its fire blue?

The eerie blue glow may be spooky, sure, but the story of why Willow's flames radiate with a blue hue is not a particularly scary or threatening one at all. Willow suffers from a kidney condition called Gitelman's syndrome, which causes the kidney to improperly deliver important chemicals, namely electrolytes, to the body's cells. Due to this condition, Willow has hypokalimia, hypochloremia, and hypomagnesia (low levels of potassium, chloride, and magnesium, respectively) as well as high blood acidity, which can cause an array of chronic conditions including fatigue, weakness, and pica. Fortunately for her, this condition is treatable! Willow takes regular supplements of potassium-chloride and magnesium to manage her body's chemistry.

Now, if you know anything about the chemical properties of fire, you might know that a flame's properties such as size, sparks, and yes, color, are dependent on what that flame is burning. Interestingly enough, a flame will burn blue as opposed to orange when fed with potassium-chloride. Due to the supplements that Willow takes to manage her illness, the fires within her body feed off of these additional chemicals during the metabolism process, turning the flames blue! However, if you get really close to Willow, you'll see that her blaze is not only blue, but it sparks with white crackles as an effect of the magnesium supplements, as well. She's like a living firework!

Although having a differently-colored flame can be embarrassing for her, the reaction of the fires changing properties due to her diet can actually be a good thing. If the flames on her back start to lose their blue color, she knows it's time to take her medicine again.
snake/wolf. he/they/she.
trades. kalons. nishinekos.
pfp: kaiyodo revoltech
i'm your number one fan!
Image Image Image Image Image Image
raiden

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups