Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!

Click here to see the full Art Rules!
Need help using the Oekaki? Check out this Guide to the Oekaki!

Glitter Snails! Open species! by ThatPinkThing

Based on Click to view
Artist ThatPinkThing [gallery]
Time spent 9 minutes
Drawing sessions 4
8 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Versions of this drawing that people have created recently

Glitter Snails! Open species!

Postby ThatPinkThing » Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:05 pm

You've found them - glitter snails - the best little companions this side of the Milky Way! So what is a glitter snail?

A glitter snail is a starlight creature that has chosen to live on Earth. They're good friends and curious souls. A journal with glitter snails' full lore can be found after the rules, along with design guidelines.

Rules

1. If you use this base, please leave my signature! You're welcome to make your own snail on your own lines, but if you call them a glitter snail and use this lore for them, please link back here or mention that they're a species by ThatPinkThing.

2. While there is no approval process required for these as an open species, please stick to the design guidelines! I wanted people to have a lot of freedom when creating these, but the few rules there are for designs helps to keep them consistent and able to be referred to as a common species.

3. You may make snails for others to adopt on this base, but DO NOT sell any glitter snails or the service of designing a snail for real currency on these lines. You can charge site currencies or aspects such as C$, pets, items, Flight Rising gems, treasure, etc. on these lines, or you can custom line a snail which can be sold for real currency.
(basically these lines are not to be profited on)

4. If you post snails (yours or ones to adopt) off-site such as on ToyHouse, DA, or ArtFight, please link back to here or make a note that they are a species by ThatPinkThing! (even if you use your own lines or a different base please)

5. Have as many snails as you please! There's no limit on how many you can own.
Last edited by ThatPinkThing on Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ThatPinkThing

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Glitter Snails! Lore and Information

Postby ThatPinkThing » Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:06 pm

Lore and Information

[An image of Depth, the first glitter snail, investigating a journal that reads "The Official Guide to GLITTER SNAILS".]

[An image of the journal open to pages 1 & 2. The handwritten text reads, "Glitter snails are actually sentient stars who have landed on Earth! The first to land was later called 'Depth' by humans thanks to the deep sea greens of its shell. Depth wandered the Earth for a while as an abstract cloud of stardust before coming across a common snail. The star was amazed by the snail and how its form was compatible with the needs of a star. Depth imitated the creature and became the first 'glitter snail'."

There are doodles of a star falling to Earth, Depth, and Depth as a stardust cloud seeing a snail for the first time.]

[An image of the journal open to pages 3 & 4. The handwritten text reads, "Depth attached a message to the Earth to let future stars know that the snail is the ideal form to take. A glitter snail's shell is made from condensed star energy, making it indestructible. The shell cannot crack or break and acts as a containment for the rest of the star's energy.

The slime left by a glitter snail is a release of energy, the way a typical star would burn. The 'glitter' in their slime for which they are named is actually stardust! The slime is harmless and evaporates within a few hours. It may cause tingling if in contact with skin for an extended time."

There are doodles of the Earth 'pinging' a message, as well as a snail leaving a trail of glittering slime.]

[An image of the journal open to pages 5 & 6. The handwritten text reads, "In condensing their energy, a glitter snail creates a small pocket dimension. The snail's 'foot' is the dimension's entrance, and if the snail can fit their 'foot' over an object, they can choose to pick it up and put it in their pocket (dimension). They are known to hold jewelry, folded notes, and other small items!

Glitter snails are observers by nature. In the same way that people stargaze, the stars gaze back at us too. Glitter snails pick up items that have value to them, or things that interest them. They can also take items out of their pockets. Some glitter snails pass notes for people. They may stay with a family for generations, showing notes and trinkets from previous generations to their kids and grandkids."

There are doodles of a glitter snail on a ring, and some scattered small item examples (an airpod, a flower, a note, a mini toy alien, and a ring).]

[An image of the journal open to pages 7 & 8. The handwritten text reads, "Because glitter snails are stars, they live far beyond any other known creature. They cannot be hurt, do not need food, and do not sleep. A snail can freely move between space and Earth.

Glitter snails can change their appearance at will. The only part they cannot change is the color of their slime. Excess starlight may manifest as projections around a snail. These can be any shape and can move around the snail. These projections cannot be felt or touched. Glitter snails may also glow, float, or teleport. They have between 2 & 6 tentacles, and no other limbs."

There are doodles of a snail changing its appearance, and a handful of projection and glow examples.]

[An image of the journal open to pages 9 & 10. The handwritten text reads, "Glitter snails have no verbal or telepathic means of communication with species outside their own, but they have learned to nod, shake their heads, etc. Some use projections to communicate with humans. They seem to 'talk' to each other on an undiscovered frequency.

Glitter snails make good companions. They are docile, curious, and build bonds with others easily. They like to go where others go, and are generally accepted in schools and workplaces as buddies."

There are doodles of snails using projections to emote with eyebrows and symbols, a person holding a snail, and a snail traveling in a car.]

[An image of the journal open to pages 11 & 12. The handwritten text reads, "Glitter snails can be the size of any real snail on Earth, from the length of a grain of rice to that of an adult man's hand. There are five typical sizes that these shape-changing snails choose to use."

There are doodles of approximate size comparisons of the five size categories--
tiny: rice-sized
small: coin-sized
garden: garden snail-sized
big: clementine-sized
huge: hand-sized]
ThatPinkThing

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Glitter Snails! Design Rules and Guidelines

Postby ThatPinkThing » Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:07 pm

Design Rules and Guidelines

1. A snail must have 2-6 tentacles. That number can be any combination of upper and/or lower tentacles.

2. A snail's shell can be any shape as long as it has a spiral.

3. Projections can be any shape and may include symbols, but cannot include language.

4. Projections must not connect to the snail in any way. They may imitate wings or limbs, but there should be a clear distinction between where the projection ends and the snail's body/shell begins.

5. Snails should remain at least 50% opaque, further transparency is not allowed.

Notes

- The 'extras' in the oekaki will probably need to be adjusted to fit your snail! The shading, highlights, and textures will need tweaking as far as transparency and layer type. There wasn't a good way to make them universal for all colors.

- You can totally add eye dots to your snail! Glitter snails don't need eyes and I like them without which is why I left them off.

- You can add sparkle to other places in addition to the slime. They are stars after all.

- They can wear accessories like little hats and jewelry without those having to be projections.
Last edited by ThatPinkThing on Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
ThatPinkThing

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Glitter Snails! saved post

Postby ThatPinkThing » Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:10 pm

for like stamps and updates

posting is open!