Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!
Click here to see the full Art Rules!

⬤FEATHERVALS⬤ by vicorish

Based on Click to view
Artist vicorish [gallery]
Time spent 12 hours, 26 minutes
Drawing sessions 23
113 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Versions of this drawing that people have created recently

⬤FEATHERVALS⬤

Postby vicorish » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:15 am

flocksvariationsadoptscustom writingcustom designsMYObreedingbestiary
fanclubstaffFAQ

•INTRO•
Feathervals are a new, versatile hybrid species based on a serval-fox-hawk mix.
• They vary from very social and flashy to elusive and mysterious. They are all members of a faction or "flock", each with their distinct identities and biomes. •
• They're typically very nimble and fast on their feet. They have hollow bones to help with flight, but don't usually stay airborne for extended periods of time. They tend to use their wings to glide or hop, or for extra speed. •
Defining features: large ears, thin long bodies, wide angular heads, feather/fur tufts, obv wings. •
Other features: they tend to have mostly 'natural' (but still vibrant!) colouring, mostly based on their bird/mammal DNA traits. However, unnatural accents and rare unnatural colouring is sometimes possible. •

Feathervals' ultimate purpose is just to be a fun little community of cute characters you can design or own, and can be used for in-universe or unofficial RP purposes! ●
● If there ever is enough demand, I will create separate official threads or a website for this. ●

•••

•CAN I HAVE ONE???•
Sure! Feathervals are a semi-open species. Here's how you get yours:
• You can adopt a unique "uncommon/rare" featherval designed by myself or staff, usually through auction. Follow me to see when I next post one! (example) •
• You can make your own "common" featherval for free, using this base! If you follow all the rules listed there, you can be approved as official. •
• Once you have a featherval, you can be listed in the official bestiary! Browse or find other feathervals there :> •

•DISCORD•
Coming soon!

•••

•RULES•

1) CREDIT: please credit me as vicorish alongside all your feathervals! Do not claim my art/designs/species as your own, or erase my signature.
2) MYO: You are totally welcome make your own featherval, or make one for someone else - as long as you don't make a business out of it, copy my art, or claim the concept as your own.
3) CUSTOMIZATION: You can edit your adopted feathervals, as long as they doesn't become unrecognizable!
4) PAYMENT/REFUNDS: Please think before you buy anything! I will most likely be doing auctions for my designs, and I don't want anyone to regret their purchase as there are no refunds. If you can't afford to adopt one and don't want to draw one yourself, you are welcome to use this common featherval base to colour your own!
(payment can be in rare/store pets, C$, or sometimes Paypal CAD to a local animal charity)
5) BE KIND: Please enjoy! I want this species to be pretty open and fun, not super strict :>

Last edited by vicorish on Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:14 am, edited 62 times in total.
vicorish

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: •FEATHERVALS•

Postby vicorish » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:15 am

•FLOCKS•
• Each featherval belongs to an flock, depending on their DNA, nature, values, loyalty and preferred habitat.
• Feathervals within a flock tend to form tight-knit relationships, share resources, breed, and defend their land together.
• Sometimes certain flocks form alliances for political reasons, to share wisdom, or unite against threats. These alliances can change over time. •
• Every flock follows the guidance of one or several wise Monarchs. Alphas are secondary high-ranking feathervals (appointed by the Monarch) that are in charge of certain stretches of their flock's territory, and report directly to the Monarch(s). •

✧✧✧✧✧ sun alliance ✧✧✧✧✧
☼ PLAINS FLOCK ☼
♛ led by the fearless Kimora
Plainsflock feathervals are known to be the fastest, most skilled flyers, with daring, cocky personalities to match.
Biome: savannahs, fields, deserts
Common Bird DNA: hawk, falcon, and other fast moor birds

❀ GARDEN FLOCK ❀
♛ led by the beautiful Shirengen (Shishi)
Gardenflock feathervals are known for their vibrant plumage and lovely voices. They are often friendly, charismatic and vain.
Biome: flowerbeds, orchards, reserves
Common Bird DNA: vibrant songbirds, domestic birds

☁ RAIN FLOCK ☁
♛ led by the mystic Tashi
Rainflock feathervals are known for their slick feathers and aquatic skills, as well as their spirituality and superstitiousness.
Biome: jungles, marshes, bodies of water
Common Bird DNA: tropical birds, birds of paradise, water birds

✦✦✦✦✦ moon alliance ✦✦✦✦✦
☘ TIMBER FLOCK ☘
♛ led by the noble Oberon
Timberflock feathervals are strong, fierce, and tactical, blending into their treetops. They have a strong sense of honour and tradition.
Biome: all types of forests
Common Bird DNA: owls, less flashy songbirds, eagles

❄ SNOW FLOCK ❄
♛ led by the unshakable Nunaat
Snowflock feathervals can survive the harshest winds and temperatures, masters of resilience. They are tough, tight-knit storytellers.
Biome: arctic forests, tundras, mountains
Common Bird DNA: arctic birds, arctic seabirds

☠ BONE FLOCK ☠
♛ led by the cunning Ulna
Boneflock feathervals are resourceful scavengers and wily warriors. They are patient, clever, independent and vulgar.
Biome: singed forests, canyons, wastes
Common Bird DNA: scavenging birds, corvids

• Lone or solo hunter feathervals do exist, but they still tend to form alliances with flocks for access to territory. •
Last edited by vicorish on Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:06 am, edited 52 times in total.
vicorish

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby vicorish » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:16 am

•VARIATIONS•
• Feathervals are generally classified as a "--- variant" based on their bird DNA trait. •
• Their appearance varies greatly with their bird & mammal (usually cat) DNA! It affects everything from their colouring, fluffiness, body mass + length + height, leg size, ear shape, wing type, paw shape, personality, and of course their Flock. •

Here's a recipe to building your featherval!
1) BIRD DNA --- this is the most important, and usually dictates your featherval's Flock (♂/♀ dimorphism doesn't matter)
COMMON
hawk, falcon, eagle, piper, duck, skua, seagull, pigeon, common songbirds (finch, robin, sparrow, swallow, thrush, wren, tit, nuthatch, etc), magpie, pheasant, quail, chicken, turkey, buzzard, condor, osprey, vulture, crow
UNCOMMON
kestrel, parakeet, owl, ravens, dove, goose, albatross, heron, rarer songbirds (jay, woodpecker, cuckoo, flycatcher)
RARE
penguin, swan, flamingo, puffin, pelican, peacock, hummingbird, secretary bird, birds of paradise, cassowary, parrot...???

2) MAMMAL DNA --- this is secondary and typically for aesthetics, though it can affect their nature
COMMON
serval, cheetah, lion, tiger, panther, leopard, cougar, sandcat, caracal, lynx, bobcat, ocelot, savannah cat, bay cat, wild/stray cat, fox, wolf
UNCOMMON
raccoon, fossa, liger, pedigree housecat, hyena, wolverine, weasels/stoats/minks/martens, anteater
RARE
sabre tooth, sphynx (hairless), rodent, lemur, bear, red panda, reptile, marsupial, bat, wild dog, domestic dogs, horse (no hooves though), otters, badgers

3) OTHER TRAITS --- these are other touches, edits, and customization options you apply on top!
COMMON TRAITS
any eye colour, tooth shape, eye/muzzle/face edits, scars/wounds/missing limbs, minor ear edits (pointiness, angle), ear tufts, coat length/fluffiness, tail edits (bushy/sleek/short), whiskers, accessories (rags, bandages, collars, simple jewelry)
UNCOMMON TRAITS
major ear edits (round/floppy/small ears), unique tails (rabbit, squirrel, husky-ish), leucism/piebald, heterochromia
RARE TRAITS
albinism, melanism, horns/antlers, bioluminescence, multiple tails, major deformities

NOT ALLOWED: hooves, hands, multiple sets of wings/limbs/heads, unnatural neon colour palettes, unnatural glowing/superpowers.
• PS - if you ever have questions about the rarity of a species I haven't listed, feel free to ask through PM or comment! •
• PPS - although rare variations are cool, having a common variation is fun since they are typically the most social feathervals, and have an immediate sense of kinship or pack-dynamic with others who share their DNA traits.
Last edited by vicorish on Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:55 am, edited 13 times in total.
vicorish

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby vicorish » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:17 am

•BESTIARY•
Library of existing official feathervals, their flock, and their owners!

✦ OFFICIAL BESTIARY HERE ✦

(let our archivist or me know if you want something changed/updated or don't want to be listed!)

•ADOPT A FEATHERVAL•
Official staff design feathervals that have primarily ★rare★ or ✦uncommon✦ DNA/traits. They are usually auctioned to a new owner.

UP FOR ADOPTION
FREE RAFFLE ADOPT:
cedar waxwing

AUCTION:
♦ ♦

There are also user created feathervals (MYO) that have primarily •common• traits, using this official base. If you want it to be recognized as official and listed in the Bestiary, please follow the instructions on that base!
MYOs MUST HAVE natural colouring, follow all the rules and spirit of the species written above, and no rare DNA/traits. You can have 1 uncommon DNA/trait.
Last edited by vicorish on Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:48 am, edited 74 times in total.
vicorish

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby vicorish » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:51 am

•ARTISTS/STAFF•

• OWNER •
• hi! i'm vicorish, the original creator :> nice to meet you! •
i'm a professional animator & animal lover, and making my own adopts species has been a goal for a while! one day i want to have my own website or game.
i'm a busy adult but pretty chill, so feel free to PM me any questions or comments! please be patient with all responses, i'm just doing this in my spare time.

• ARTISTS •
• all official staff are allowed to have up to 15 common feathervals. •
• official artists can sell, raffle, or auction off their own common & uncommon featherval designs. (uncommon+ is auction/raffle only) •
• official artists can create/keep 1 custom uncommon featherval a month. this allowance goes up by 1 if they create an uncommon custom for another non-artist staff :> •
• official artists can request 1 custom writing clip a month. •
• official artists can create 3 rare feathervals a year, and can cash that in any time (after at least 1 month of joining!) they may keep 1, must sell the rest. •

ADOPTS ARTISTS
TASKS: design & sell common/uncommon feathervals adopts, approve MYO designs, sell custom common featherval designs, design full-grown feathervals from nursery litters.
Chanceuxcat
Scrynexx_.
Pastel_
Androys
---

NESTING ARTISTS (for future - nesting AKA nursery still in development)
TASKS: take breeding requests & payment, design litters, design full-grown feathervals from nursery litters.
captain dude
---

• WRITERS •
• All official staff are allowed to have up to 15 common feathervals. •
• official writers can sell/raffle their custom writing clips for coming-of-age stories, breeding, backstories, interactions. •
• official writers can create/request one custom uncommon featherval design a month. this goes up by 1 for every 5 requested writing clips done for other staff :> •
• official writers can create/request one rare featherval a year, after at least 1 month of joining. •

RP LEADS
TASKS: Create, manage, or help with with threads for featherval interactions, flock confrontations,
breeding backstories, nursery/growth updates, coming-of-age ceremonies.

Chanceuxcat
Kitten-Girl-500
Scrynexx_.
Irrylath (part time)
---

GENERAL WRITERS
TASKS: Help define lore for featherval characters, locations, traditions, and history.
Kitten-Girl-500
Chanceuxcat
Irrylath (part time)
MeltiTheDragon
---

• MODS / ARCHIVIST / ETC •
• all official staff are allowed to have up to 15 common feathervals. •
• official mods can create/request 1 custom uncommon featherval OR 2 custom writing clips every 3 months. •
• official mods can create/request one rare featherval a year, after 6 months of joining! •

Archivist
TASKS: Create and update the new official featherval Bestiary thread, organized by flock.
allinian

Mod
TASKS: Manage community threads, field questions, watch for rule infractions.
Kitten-Girl-500
captain dude
Panda-Love-100 (part-time)
---

• I am pausing staff hiring until I catch up on all my tasks! •

♥ thank you v v much ♥

Last edited by vicorish on Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:11 am, edited 25 times in total.
vicorish

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby vicorish » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:20 am

•Q & A•
ask me anything in the replies, and I might add it here if I think it's universally good to know!
Chanceuxcat wrote:These are absolutely adorable, love the concept! I do have a couple questions though if that's ok!
First, are these a open/semi-open species?
Thanks so much <3 Yes, they are semi-open! You can make your own - just don't sell them, and you have to follow the rules if you want to be considered 'official'.
LavenderRain wrote:1. Do you think you'll ever take on some full time or even guest/ghost artists?
I would absolutely be open to both in the future! :mrgreen: Best way for me to find people would be to see them do HQ edits of my MYO featherval base OR original featherval art, and see that their personal artstyle and ideas for the species fit well (I like simple, cartoony, expressive styles, and am always open to hearing ideas for feathervals, since I'm new to this too :>) It would also be ideal if they had experience drawing/managing community adopts species or something similar!
LavenderRain wrote:2. Do you ever plan on opening up some kind of breeding for them? I'd love to see baby feathervals, and combining bird and cat patterns :)
Also an awesome idea ♥ That would be so fun... I would love to add breedings and offspring and growth systems, but sadly I barely have time to just make adopts as is! If I decided to take a break from new designs OR if I brought on more volunteer staff eventually, maybe. I don't want to get too ahead of myself yet, though ;;

Last edited by vicorish on Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:15 am, edited 10 times in total.
vicorish

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kitten-Girl-500 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:20 am

Huge mark! Super excited for this species ^-^

───────── ❝ 𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐑𝐘 𝐋𝐈𝐓𝐓𝐋𝐄 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐍𝐆'𝐒 𝐆𝐎𝐍𝐍𝐀 𝐁𝐄 xxxxxx
you'll never know what could be until you stand up and try. xxx𝐀𝐋𝐑𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓 !! ❞─── ©

xxImage
------------------------------------------------------
.....Hey there! I'm Kitten, a Christian teen trying
......to love God and love others. I'm especially
......into writing, books, and art!! Not really active
......on here anymore, just here for a few friends
......and some art stuff. Don't expect quick replies
......from me, thank you <3xxxxxxpsalm 119:105

------------------------------------------------------
┍━━━━━━━━━━━━. ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆. ━━━━━━━━━━━━┑
xxxstormbuffearthaoiknick's murdercats
.xxraini-froggemeek the weakshyshie.
xxxxxxxxpanda sistaocean xinqiu
┕━━━━━━━━━━━━. ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ .━━━━━━━━━━━━┙
Kitten-Girl-500

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lost Silver » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:23 am

Marking!
─────────────
'
xxxxxx''xxxxx
Current event swaps
My Oekaki art!
My favorite hoard
©
xxxxxxx''xxxx
'
─────────────
Imagex

I'M ───────────────────

Hello! My name is Silver and I get pretty lost!
Please note that I am an ADULT player!
Currently back to playing for C$ and Oekaki
My sig is hard to read on mobile!

Commissions: [x]
I make adopts!
I collect bats 💙

'
Imagex
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────

'
'

'
'

─────────────

'Here are some things I really like to talk about!
    I'm currently hyperfixated on Lost Silver
    Castlevania! Richter is my favorite in the series.
    My oc's! I have almost 400 I could talk about.
Imagex

O N ──────────────────────
xImage
xImage
───────────────────────────
░░
░░
░░
░░
░░
░░
░░