Based on Click to view
Artist ambopteryx [gallery]
Time spent 4 hours, 42 minutes
Drawing sessions 4
14 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

CC #007

Postby ambopteryx » Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:41 pm

Cryptid Cafe Home

The Cafe is almost empty, save for a few stragglers nervously pouring over... a handout? It's quickly revealed why when a Sphinx shoves said paper into your hands.

"Trivia night," they growl. For some reason, you feel it unwise to decline that very firm invitation.

as a side note- the "mane" can either be an actual mane or just a faux mane/headwear, adopter's choice!

This will be a competition; answer the questions to the best of your abilities. whoever gets the most correct wins. I will be closing this at the rollover on 2/6. Once you post your form, do NOT edit it please! You ARE allowed to leave blanks if you don't know the answer!

In the case of people answering the same amount of questions correct, I will be doing a speed-round tiebreaker!

Griff wrote:Username : Griff
Name : Lucky

The longest grammatically correct sentence you can make using only the word "buffalo": Buffalo buffalo Buffalo bufallo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.
A compound word that often has many letters, but sometimes has none: Mailbox
A wolf that is not a wolf, as of January 2021: Dire Wolf
Something that is harder to catch the faster you run: Your breath
#1 IRL and not tool assisted pencil sharpening speedrun time: 4 seconds for one pencil
An important protein found in humans, sharing its name with a video game character: Pikachurin
What bugged Schmidt: Hymenoptera in general, but the bullet ant the most
How a raven is like a writing desk: Theres a few answers here! The original one was "Well I havent the slightest idea!' But the writer did later come up with: "Because it can produce a few notes, tho they are very flat; and it is never put with the wrong end in front!"
The bird this design is based on: Hoopoe bird

Last edited by ambopteryx on Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
    “Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est"
    (They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are quite a bit dicier)

― David Foster Wallace, Infinite Jest
    sig art by rem sleep
ambopteryx

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: CC #007

Postby rem sleep » Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:01 pm

Username : rem sleep
      Name : syntax

The longest grammatically correct sentence you can make using only the word "buffalo": "Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo!"
      A compound word that often has many letters, but sometimes has none: [ ???? ]
      A wolf that is not a wolf, as of January 2021: Dire wolves!
      Something that is harder to catch the faster you run: Your breath!
      #1 IRL and not tool assisted pencil sharpening speedrun time: A drill!
      An important protein found in humans, sharing its name with a video game character: Pikachurin or Pikachu!
      What bugged Schmidt: The bullet ant?
      How a raven is like a writing desk: "I haven't the slightest idea."
      The bird this design is based on: Hoopoe bird?
♥ ♥ ♥
rem sleep - they / them
nocturnal artist, socially awkward
♥ ♥ ♥
umasstorkies
closed species bank
♥ ♥ ♥

rem sleep

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby kondraki » Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:15 pm

Username : typowriter
Name : Savannah

The longest grammatically correct sentence you can make using only the word "buffalo":
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
A compound word that often has many letters, but sometimes has none:
Nothing?
A wolf that is not a wolf, as of January 2021:
I think it's a Direwolf?
Something that is harder to catch the faster you run:
Your breath!
#1 IRL and not tool assisted pencil sharpening speedrun time:
???
An important protein found in humans, sharing its name with a video game character:
Pikachu!
What bugged Schmidt:
A bullet ant!
How a raven is like a writing desk:
Well, I haven't the slightest idea!
The bird this design is based on:
Desert Wheatear? or maybe a Hoopoe?

he/him
semi-active
real dr kondraki
kondraki

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby bakuraas. » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:10 pm

Username : bakuraas.
Name : rashin

The longest grammatically correct sentence you can make using only the word "buffalo": "Buffalo buffalo Buffalo bufallo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo."
A compound word that often has many letters, but sometimes has none: [ ?? ]
A wolf that is not a wolf, as of January 2021: Dire Wolves
Something that is harder to catch the faster you run: Your Breath
#1 IRL and not tool assisted pencil sharpening speedrun time: 2m 21s for 10 pencils, 0m 04s for 1 pencil
An important protein found in humans, sharing its name with a video game character: Pikachurin
What bugged Schmidt: A Bullet Ant
How a raven is like a writing desk: "Because it can produce a few notes, though they are very flat; and it is nevar put with the wrong end in front!"
The bird this design is based on: Hoopoe bird.
"tip-top! absolutely tickity-boo!"
♥️[ gb, baku ] ♦️ [ he/they/faer ]♥️
・:*:・。☆{ baku's angel c4c }☆。・:*:・
♥️[ ravynscar ] ♦️ [ cs character toyhouse ] ♦️ [ empyra ]♥️
♥️[ karsalis ]♥️
bakuraas.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Griff » Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:52 pm

Username : Griff

The longest grammatically correct sentence you can make using only the word "buffalo": Buffalo buffalo Buffalo bufallo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.
#1 IRL and not tool assisted pencil sharpening speedrun time: 4 seconds for one pencil
How a raven is like a writing desk: Theres a few answers here! The original one was "Well I havent the slightest idea!' But the writer did later come up with: "Because it can produce a few notes, tho they are very flat; and it is never put with the wrong end in front!"
Griff

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Tuxedo Mask » Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:54 pm

Username : DemonReaper
Name : Mockingbird

The longest grammatically correct sentence you can make using only the word "buffalo": "Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo."
A compound word that often has many letters, but sometimes has none: Nothing (I think )
A wolf that is not a wolf, as of January 2021: Dire Wolves!!
Something that is harder to catch the faster you run: Your Breath!!
#1 IRL and not tool assisted pencil sharpening speedrun time: 2 minutes 21 seconds for 10 pencils and 4 seconds for one
An important protein found in humans, sharing its name with a video game character: Pikachurin!
What bugged Schmidt: Bullet Ant!
How a raven is like a writing desk : Because it can produce a few notes, tho they are very flat; and it is never put with the wrong end in front!"
The bird this design is based on: Hoopoe bird I believe
Tuxedo Mask

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ambopteryx » Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:27 am

Griff wrote:Username : Griff

Congrats to Griff for getting the most answers correct, and therefore winning the adopt!

a rundown of the correct answers:

The longest grammatically correct sentence you can make using only the word "buffalo": Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo. (ie- buffalo(animal) from Buffalo(city) that bother buffalo(animal) from Buffalo(city) bother buffalo(animal) from Buffalo(city) whom buffalo(animal) from Buffalo(city) bother.)
A compound word that often has many letters, but sometimes has none: A mailbox c:
A wolf that is not a wolf, as of January 2021: Dire wolf! These guys were thought to be a subspecies of grey wolf, but in January were reclassified as their own genus.
Something that is harder to catch the faster you run: Your breath!
#1 IRL and not tool assisted pencil sharpening speedrun time: either 2 minutes 21 seconds for 10 pencils, or 4 seconds for 1 pencil
An important protein found in humans, sharing its name with a video game character: Pikachurin/Pikachu (or Sonic Hedgehog)
What bugged Schmidt: stinging insects/the bullet ant! Schmidt is the founder of the Schmidt pain index, which rates insect stings in terms of how painful they are- the bullet ant is rated a 4, the highest possible rating on the scale, alongside the Tarantula Hawk and Warrior Wasp.
How a raven is like a writing desk: either "Well, I haven't the slightest idea!" or "Because it can produce a few notes, tho they are very flat; and it is never put with the wrong end in front!"
The bird this design is based on: The Eurasian Hoope!

In the end, "A compound word that often has many letters, but sometimes has none" was the deciding question.
The question that gave people the most trouble was the Buffalo question! While the common version has 8 uses of the word buffalo, it's not the longest possible (being 11)
With the protein question, I was originally looking for Sonic Hedgehog, but decided to also accept Pikachurin as correct. I was so caught up in the euphoria of the Sonic Hedgehog protein wikipedia page (i HIGHLY recommend giving it a skim, there's some pretty funny stuff) that I forgot that Pikachurin existed)

Anyways, thank you all for entering this kinda-experimental competition, I hope you guys had fun c:
    “Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est"
    (They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are quite a bit dicier)

― David Foster Wallace, Infinite Jest
    sig art by rem sleep
ambopteryx

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Griff » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:26 pm

Thank you very much! I had a lot of fun from this and learned some cool trivia in the process :D
Griff

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me