Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!
Click here to see the full Art Rules!

// SOMNAVIS ADOPTS // by ambopteryx

Artist ambopteryx [gallery]
Time spent 4 hours, 13 minutes
Drawing sessions 12
10 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Versions of this drawing that people have created recently

// SOMNAVIS ADOPTS //

Postby ambopteryx » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:56 pm

info // traits // rules
customs and myos // shop // archive updates // hatchery // artist search

any future announcements will be found here!
Last edited by ambopteryx on Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:26 am, edited 8 times in total.
ambopteryx

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Somnavis // INFO AND LORE

Postby ambopteryx » Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:55 am

Somnavis hylovenator
"Sleeping bird" // "Forest hunter"

Domain: Eukaryota
Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Clades: Dinosauria, Saurischia, Theropoda, Paraves
Family: Scansoriopterygidae
Genus: Somnavis
Species: S. hylovenator

The Somnavis are owl-sized members of the otherwise extinct Scansoriopterygidae family. Specimens are reported to have various degrees of feather coverage, with a mix of less developed downy feathers covering the body and a small amount of specialized feathers on the wings. Said wings consist of a batlike skin-membrane stretched between two specialized, elongated fingers. The S. hylovenator is the only known member of the Somnavis genus.

Without any sort of mutation or anomoly, a Somnavis is incapable of flight. They do not have the proper bone structure or musculature to achieve powered lift. However, they seem to be capable of gliding and WAIR (wing-assisted incline running). In fact, they seem specially adapted for WAIR. They have very similar feet to geckos, albeit not quite as strong, that allow the Somnavis to grip onto most surfaces. This assists with climbing steep or vertical inclines such as trees or cliffsides. The modified flight feathers on a Somnavis's wings consist of small but strong hooks that can be used to grip onto textured surfaces as well.

Somnavis hylovenator are troglophiles, meaning that they are "cave visitors" that cannot survive exclusively underground. Somnavis are omnivores that eat a mix of fish, insects, small mammals, nuts, and fruits. Their preferred habitat are deep wilderness with a plentiful amount of tall trees, as they are mostly arboreal while above ground. However, Somnavis are wide-spread and can reasonably survive in most climates or ecosystems without too much environmental disruption. When not hunting for food, the Somnavis will retreat back underground until they need to reemerge to eat again.

They are very social creatures, and often live in large groups, often called "Parties". Parties that live in the same area will keep their distance from each other in order to avoid any food conflicts, but are usually friendly towards each other. Somnavis are, overall, non-territorial, and it's not uncommon for members of different parties to mingle, and populations may sometimes swap between closely located parties if not completely combine.

It appears that the Somnavis are highly intelligent and capable of speech. They have their own language among the species (with regional variations between native ecosystems), and also are capable of mimicking other types of speech and sounds.

-LORE-

The Somnavis originally lived during the late Jurassic, about 150 million years ago. However, a sudden famine wiped out most of the population, bringing the Somnavis to the brink of extinction. The remaining members of the Somnavis retreated underground, shoring their losses and huddling in darkness.

Those gathered fell into a deep sleep, a desperate attempt to live through such difficult times. Their saving grace, in the end, was that very cave they slumbered in. A crystal, a sleeping spirit, granted them it's power. Deep and dreamless sleep, with no need to stir or wake. The Somnavis slept, and slept, and slept. And they woke.

The Somnavis emerged from the dark to a brave new world. The time spent sleeping on their stomach had stripped their underbellies of feathers, and some found that they had developed strange mutations or abilities during their slumber. From that point on, after the great awakening, the Somnavis appeared to be completely unable to age and left untouched by time itself.

While most Somnavis slept soundly during all that time, a few of them did not sleep so peacefully. Some slept with their mind still lingering at the surface, some woke during this great hibernation, only barely kept under by the sleeping stone- and, extremely rarely, some found themselves unaffected, spending the whole 150 million years wide awake. As these creatures were not held in the stasis of their sleeping brethren, those who found their sleep interrupted or uneasy shifted and changed over the years, emerging with strange features not found on those who hibernated thoroughly. Their descendants also showed these unique traits, and appear to be genetically linked. A running theory is that the sleeping stone had a strange radiation that did not affect the Somnavis only if they were asleep, so the longer a Somanvis was awake the more drastic changes were reported, as the radiation altered them down to their DNA.
Last edited by ambopteryx on Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
ambopteryx

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Somnavis // TRAITS

Postby ambopteryx » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:06 am

-THE DEEP-

// any short "hair" style (above chin)
    // any ears
    // scaled or smooth underbelly
    // any tail (must have NO feathers on the underside)
    // less feather coverage
    // feather texture/length edits
    // teeth edits
    // claw edits
    // tongue edits
    // 3-5 large wing feathers
    // 0-2 sets of jaw-spikes

-THE LIGHT-

// any long "hair" style (below the chin)
    // more than 1 pair of ears
    // horns on the head or body(any amount, any type)
    // higher feather coverage (belly, muzzle, and feet, wing membrane must be bare- will add max example later)
    // minor elemental/nonliving/organic/etc aspects
    // extra (or less) eyes
    // 2 tails
    // more or less toes/fingers
    // talon (feet) edits
    // 2-6 large wing feathers

-THE UNEASY-

// additional wings (any size, any style, any amount, anywhere on the body)
    // higher feather coverage (muzzle, feet, and wing membrane must be bare- will add max example later)
    // floating parts (non-item)
    // dwarfism or gigantism
    // "raptor hands" on the wings
    // major elemental/nonliving/organic/etc aspects or body parts
    // 2+ tails
    // 1-6 large wing feathers

-THE RESTLESS-

// full feather coverage (other than top of the muzzle)
    // more (or less) limbs
    // overall body structure/shape/silhouette edits
    // gene splices
    // pretty much just. ask first, it's probably legal

NON-RARITY

// pupil edits, eye shape edits, or heterochromia
    // tattoos, scars, missing limbs (non-passing)
    // accessories

ILLEGAL* TRAITS

// nose edits
    // arm-wing style change
    // gecko-pad removal
    // feathered upper muzzle/beak
    // completely featherless
    // mammalian paws

*if this list is updated, any previously released/approved Somnavis will be grandfathered in, but the illegal traits will NOT be passable
Last edited by ambopteryx on Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
ambopteryx

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Somnavis // RULES

Postby ambopteryx » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:14 am

GENERAL RULES

// Somnavis is a Closed species. This means you cannot make one if you are not an artist or have an appropriate MYO. Any design claiming to be a Somnavis that was made without permission is NOT a real Somnavis.
    // Designs and entries for adopts must follow CS rules! this means try not to go too dark with things, please.
    // Listen to and be courteous to staff
    // If you post a design off-site, make sure you link it back to here- either to the design's oekaki reference or to the main page is fine.
    // Users who have broken to the rules to the point of requiring a ban may not make MYOs, enter for adopts, or otherwise acquire new Somnavis.
    // If you, for whatever reason, wish to cut ties from the species, you may transfer the design to a different species if asked for and given permission. When a design is transferred, the Somnavis version is null and CANNOT be used as a separate design.
    // A Somnavis can be traded for other Somnavis of the same rarity or for a same-rarity MYO. A Somnavis can also be gifted. They can ONLY be sold for c$ if it was originally a PURCHASED MYO or was acquired through an auction or OTA- in this case, it can ONLY be sold for the amount paid for the MYO/original adopt, and cannot be sold for USD or any other currency.
    // A Somnavis cannot be given or traded to people without a cs account UNLESS it has already been transferred out of species.
    // A Somnavis cannot be edited without a relevant edit item. MYOs can have ONE revamp on request, if it has never bred.
    // MYO designs are not considered "official" until it has been approved by staff.
    // There is no limit to the amount of Somnavis you can own.

ARTIST RULES

// Artists must make 2 adopts per month to be considered active. Please notify me if you're unable to do this and need to go on hiatus c:
    // Active artists are given 1 Light-sleeper MYO per month. This MYO can be combined with another for an Uneasy-sleeper MYO (ie 2 months of activity).
    // Artists can make competitions, prompts, raffles, otas, and auctions for Somnavis adopts. They may NOT be sold for USD or any currency other than c$, but stuff like art or cs pets can be accepted as payment.
    // Restless adopts are usually reserved for special events and milestones, but can be made for normal adopts. Any Restless designs must be ran by me (ambopteryx) before it can be posted.
    // GAs will have one month to make at LEAST 2 adopts, with no maximum. At least one adopt must be a Deep-sleeper, and NONE of the adopts may be Restless. After this period, it will be determined whether they will be permanently hired. Any guest artists will be given a Light-sleeper MYO, non-dependent on if they are hired.
Last edited by ambopteryx on Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
ambopteryx

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Somnavis // reserve post

Postby ambopteryx » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:08 am

reserved //
    “Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est"
    (They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are quite a bit dicier)

― David Foster Wallace, Infinite Jest
    sig art by rem sleep
ambopteryx

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Somnavis // reserve post

Postby ambopteryx » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:09 am

reserved //

sig art by rem sleep
ambopteryx

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: // SOMNAVIS ADOPTS //

Postby ambopteryx » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:11 am

now open for posts/marks!

sig art by rem sleep
ambopteryx

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby beebun » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:46 pm

These look cool. 👀
Mark ! <3
hello.
I… am not at my best right now, and I’ll be taking a small break from most chickensmoothie things. (mainly everything expect roleplays)
beebun

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Deercan » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:01 pm

Mark ! :3
deer/rainer
it/he/her • ΘΔ
kitty cat dance!
michealalmond
Deercan

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Petscop » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:53 pm

mark!!
I am inactive. Don't send trades, don't expect hasty replies.
Petscop

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me