Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!

Click here to see the full Art Rules!
Need help using the Oekaki? Check out this Guide to the Oekaki!

Mars by SuperVerl

Artist SuperVerl [gallery]
Time spent 22 minutes
Drawing sessions 1
30 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Mars

Postby SuperVerl » Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:56 am

"It's the imperfections that make something beautiful, that's what makes it different and unique from everything else."
    - Bob Ross

I was watching some Bob Ross and man that guy says some resonating things. This drawing doesn't have anything to do with Bob Ross I was just thinking about him haha.

This is based on a night sight photo I took of Mars when it was shining really brightly one night. I know it isn't really a spectacular return after I haven't drawn something for so long but I realized at some point that I shouldn't put so much pressure on myself. I thought about drawing every day, and yet I would do nothing. The pressure and need to meet expectations (mainly my own) made a huge wall. I'm still not confident, and I probably never will be, but here and there I'll try to remind myself that my art isn't being graded, and that I should just have fun with it like I used to.

I admit it's incredibly difficult when your sibling is leagues more talented than you are. Even when you know you shouldn't compare you still do it, I think many can relate lol. It's just embarrassing when my stuff looks like a middle school scribble side by side with her amazing illustrations. I could say more but I've rambled on too long again...

Toyhouse 💛💛💛 Image
Hey friends, play Monster Hunter
SuperVerl

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Mars

Postby JK341 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:07 am

well i for one say that coming to the realization of all that--that its more about having fun with it all, not being graded, etc. is a hecking great first step!

And ya know, we are all our own worst critics tbh, heck i do it myself believe it or not. The key is to accept the little imperfections along the way and keep on truckin', just like good ol Bob says. I've always said you have so much darn potential ever since our friendship first started and i will always stand by what i say. ^^

Also i beg to differ about the "middle school scribbling" part. x) The foliage is pretty well done considering we dont have any special brushes here in chicken paint or anything fancy like that. c: Ive also been noticing mars here lately as well and i think you captured it from a humans physical viewpoint pretty well. <3
Adult | He/Him

JK341

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Roonie-Roe » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:51 am

So relatable... Trust me, you're definitely not alone. <3

I'm very guilty of getting stuck behind my own wall of sorts. I catch myself a lot comparing myself to other people's skill levels and getting discouraged and not wanting to draw because I'm not as good them. I then have to stop myself, step back a bit, and remind myself that I should be doing it for fun/my own enjoyment and not for other people's approval or to compete with anyone else. It's not a competition and art doesn't need to be perfect (which I admit is hard for me because I'm a serious perfectionist in just about everything I do xD). It should be something enjoyable and not something you feel like you have to force or compare. We all learn differently too and shouldn't feel bad if our skill set isn't the same as someone else's. We're all constantly learning too, whether we realize it or not. And honestly if we all learned the same way and were all on the same level, we would live in a very boring, stale world and art would be pretty pointless. But that's the cool thing about art; It's all unique, anyone can do it (whether they believe it or not), and everyone sees things differently, which is really amazing in my opinion. c:

And I 100% agree that this is NOT "middle school scribbling!" I think this is beautiful and very well done!

.~:{}:~.

ImageImageImage

Adult | She/Her, They/Them | Pansexual
Pet/Item Hoarder | Artist
ImageImage Image
[My CS Hoards] [Toyhouse]
[Dragon Cave] [Flight Rising] [Furry Paws]

ImageImageImage
Roonie-Roe

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby kageyenova » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:04 am

Bro I been following you for a while already, your art is honestly top tier stuff man :0

Your thoughts are very understandable and quite relatable, I definitely get where you’re coming from. But just as you’ve said, aye, draw for the sake of fun— evaluation comes later when you’re trying to improve/reflect on your style to see how you can get where you want to be. Comparison is hard to avoid but it’s also something you can kind of learn from depending on how you look at it— but do your best to avoid thinking “which is better”, ‘cause that concept really doesn’t exist LOL
    I honestly think you’re all set though, and I do really adore your art, if it means anything ;w; this certainly doesn’t look like any “middle school scribbles” lmao jdkaksjakj

But also, this piece is especially cool with your description, a picture of Mars? That’s freakin wicked. How’d you know that’s Mars, if you care to tell?
hi im kage.
kageyenova

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby SuperVerl » Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:49 am

J-and-K341 wrote:well i for one say that coming to the realization of all that--that its more about having fun with it all, not being graded, etc. is a hecking great first step!

And ya know, we are all our own worst critics tbh, heck i do it myself believe it or not. The key is to accept the little imperfections along the way and keep on truckin', just like good ol Bob says. I've always said you have so much darn potential ever since our friendship first started and i will always stand by what i say. ^^

Also i beg to differ about the "middle school scribbling" part. x) The foliage is pretty well done considering we dont have any special brushes here in chicken paint or anything fancy like that. c: Ive also been noticing mars here lately as well and i think you captured it from a humans physical viewpoint pretty well. <3

Thank you J c': You've always been such a solid pillar of support for me and I will never be able to thank you enough. Every time I think "surely now he's sick of my nonsense" you keep proving otherwise. Now if I could find the secret to unlocking that potential...

Oh man though, I really wish we had some more brush types. I'd love to try do more Bob Ross paintings on here but it takes more time to scribble out a tree that can be done with a few brush pats on canvas.

Roonie-Roe wrote:
So relatable... Trust me, you're definitely not alone. <3

I'm very guilty of getting stuck behind my own wall of sorts. I catch myself a lot comparing myself to other people's skill levels and getting discouraged and not wanting to draw because I'm not as good them. I then have to stop myself, step back a bit, and remind myself that I should be doing it for fun/my own enjoyment and not for other people's approval or to compete with anyone else. It's not a competition and art doesn't need to be perfect (which I admit is hard for me because I'm a serious perfectionist in just about everything I do xD). It should be something enjoyable and not something you feel like you have to force or compare. We all learn differently too and shouldn't feel bad if our skill set isn't the same as someone else's. We're all constantly learning too, whether we realize it or not. And honestly if we all learned the same way and were all on the same level, we would live in a very boring, stale world and art would be pretty pointless. But that's the cool thing about art; It's all unique, anyone can do it (whether they believe it or not), and everyone sees things differently, which is really amazing in my opinion. c:

And I 100% agree that this is NOT "middle school scribbling!" I think this is beautiful and very well done!

I think my problem has always been that I was so certain that I wanted art to be my career. I believed that it was imperative that I improve a lot, NOW. But I was seeing no changes, and it just made me 1. draw less and 2. doubt myself more. It was actually when I was told that I lacked ambition that I realized I would never make it as an artist that way. It was kinda freeing but also pretty scary. I have no idea what to do now, and it does leave me wondering if things would be different if I DID have ambition. But hey, you're right, we all learn at different rates. Maybe I'll be a late bloomer who finds her skills at age 44. Thank you so much for your words <3

kageyenova wrote:
    Bro I been following you for a while already, your art is honestly top tier stuff man :0

Your thoughts are very understandable and quite relatable, I definitely get where you’re coming from. But just as you’ve said, aye, draw for the sake of fun— evaluation comes later when you’re trying to improve/reflect on your style to see how you can get where you want to be. Comparison is hard to avoid but it’s also something you can kind of learn from depending on how you look at it— but do your best to avoid thinking “which is better”, ‘cause that concept really doesn’t exist LOL
    I honestly think you’re all set though, and I do really adore your art, if it means anything ;w; this certainly doesn’t look like any “middle school scribbles” lmao jdkaksjakj

But also, this piece is especially cool with your description, a picture of Mars? That’s freakin wicked. How’d you know that’s Mars, if you care to tell?

Oh hello person who I totally didn't used to call kah-gay instead of cage aHEM. I'm honored to be followed by who I consider one of the "art celebrities" of CS xD

Boy if I knew how hard art really could be when I was doodling as a kid I think I would have dropped it real quick. There are so many ways I felt and feel like I "need" to improve on it's all quite overwhelming. It was after art fight this year that I did do a self reflection. I looked at my art fight pieces from 2019 and realized that nothing had changed. I didn't work super hard to get better, but darn it I tried, and the lack of improvement was very discouraging. That's why I essentially drew nothing for two and a half months. But like I said, you said, and we all say: draw for fun. If I can finally shed this idea of NEEDING to improve for a future job, I think things might look up. But honestly it does mean something that people care. That people ever even say anything means pretty much everything to me haha. So thank you <3 I think I lost the part of me that liked drawing just for myself, so getting noticed is that one big reminder that it isn't a waste of time.

As for mars there's no big story lol. I remember reading somewhere that mars was gonna be brighter than Jupiter and one night my dad said "Hey! Mars is really bright out right now wanna see?". So I went outside, found the brightest dot in the sky and took a picture or 10. Honestly it might not actually be mars, I don't know.

Here's the picture by the way! I forgot to post it in the first place :P
    OH AND LAST THING. If anyone has read this far... I realize that "middle school scribblings" is probably insulting to middle schoolers so I'll explain what I meant soijgsoijg my sister and I agreed that my current abilities as an artist are much like where she was at when she was in middle school. Since I've always drawn way less than her the idea is that I just need to draw as many things as her to "catch up". I'm sure there are plenty of middle schoolers that are filled to the brim with talent so I hope I didn't hurt any feelings c':

Toyhouse 💛💛💛 Image
Hey friends, play Monster Hunter
SuperVerl

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BadgerBuddies » Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:54 pm

Honestly, I thought that the trees you painted were real, that’s how amazing they look! I completely understand where you’re coming from though, I’m the same way and I can’t imagine having a sibling to compare myself to on top of that. But just because your sibling is talented doesn’t mean you aren’t, you certainly are! Comparing yourself to others is always tricky, and with art it gets even more precarious, as everyone has their own style, so it might even look like comparing apples to oranges in terms of style, but that doesn’t make either artist any more or less worthy or talented. It may take time to realize all this, as I know it’s something I’m still working on myself (with art and irl eheh 😅), but someday you’ll get to the point where you appreciate the time and effort you put into the things you do, and you’ll be able to look back at it and say how proud you are of yourself for your hard work! Bc trust me, you definitely should be proud of yourself, I know I’m proud of you<333
BadgerBuddies

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby JK341 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:01 pm

BadgerBuddies wrote:Honestly, I thought that the trees you painted were real, that’s how amazing they look! I completely understand where you’re coming from though, I’m the same way and I can’t imagine having a sibling to compare myself to on top of that. But just because your sibling is talented doesn’t mean you aren’t, you certainly are! Comparing yourself to others is always tricky, and with art it gets even more precarious, as everyone has their own style, so it might even look like comparing apples to oranges in terms of style, but that doesn’t make either artist any more or less worthy or talented. It may take time to realize all this, as I know it’s something I’m still working on myself (with art and irl eheh 😅), but someday you’ll get to the point where you appreciate the time and effort you put into the things you do, and you’ll be able to look back at it and say how proud you are of yourself for your hard work! Bc trust me, you definitely should be proud of yourself, I know I’m proud of you<333

absolutely all of this! <3
Adult | He/Him

JK341

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me