Based on Click to view
Artist zoocyte [gallery]
Time spent 2 hours, 40 minutes
Drawing sessions 4
6 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Valley of Kings-- #672

Postby zoocyte » Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:06 pm

To adopt, you must either:
    1. Have a founder, be at least level 1, and have enough space to accommodate this lion
    2. Or, you can adopt this one as your founder!

supposed to be whimbrel-inspired but they kind of went off-track from there X)
for this contest, show me a cool painting and an explanation of what it symbolizes :))

Code: Select all
[b]Username:[/b]
[b]Lion name:[/b]
[b]Lion gender:[/b]
[b]Pride:[/b] link to thread
[b]Pride status:[/b]
[b]Painting:[/b]
[b]Explanation:[/b]

end date: september 10, 3:00 PM PHST [UTC+8]

comms
hello, call me koga or zoo!
arcanthera adoptsmy arcanthera storageoff-oekaki gallery
zoocyte

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Valley of Kings-- #672

Postby Sunlitsecrets » Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:24 pm

Username: Sunlitsecrets
Lion name: Yngvir
Lion gender: male
Pride: Starheart's Regiment
Pride status: Duelist
Painting:
Explanation: I see this lion as being very invested in the sky and space, and this painting really speaks to me on that! He sees every being as connected, like a great constellation or a branching tree, just like the antlers of this deer. And while things may go wrong, Yngvir can often find peace in admiring the stars, and imagining what lies beyond.
--------------
my characters!
-infj, hufflepuff
-traditional artist
ImageImage

Sunlitsecrets

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Mercuré » Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:08 am

Username: irockwaffleking
Lion name: Odilon
Lion gender: Male
Pride: Forum/viewtopic.php?f=103&t=4383633&hilit=Pantheon
Pride status: painter and artist
Painting:

Explanation:

Odilon Redon was a French symbolist painter who was known for his fantastical pieces. Although he was made famous by a series of macabre charcoal drawings once he discovered oil paints and pastels that became his sole medium. His artwork is know for being dreamlike (or in the case of the charcoal drawings nightmare like) and drawing upon heavy symbolism as well as other cultures or religions. With the shift of mediums came a shift in tone and fear inducing charcoal drawings made way for coming colorful paintings. In this one we see a lot of his ideas shine through. Redon often described creativity as a blooming flower and with the added religious figures it’s thought this might be showing how he viewed (his) art, a blend of creativity and religious/cultural influences all presented in a phantasmagoria.

I chose the piece because the lion reminds me of some of his earlier charcoal drawings but also the lion’s swirls and purple eyes have a bit of a dream like quality much like Redon’s later work. This is also my favorite piece by the artist so I always love to share it
Last edited by Mercuré on Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:46 am, edited 4 times in total.
Mercuré

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Nia The Elf » Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:21 am

Username: Nia The Elf
Lion name: Antor (high, noble, Arthur's foster father)
Pride: Red Eagle
Pride status: Knight
Painting: Image
Explanation: The Sleep of Arthur in Avalon was painted by Edward Burne-Jones and was worked on for 17 years until his death. It was Burne-Jones' magnum opus and the Arthurian Legend stories of which is was made after had become an explanation for his life.
The painting depicts the King Arthur, who had been mortally wounded after the battle of Camlann were he had fought Mordred. He lies on a bench surrounded by three queens, and his head is in the lap of his sister Morgan le Fay, who took him to Avalon after he lost the battle. The carvings on the dome above are scenes of the legend of the Holy Grail, and the women appear with long braids - the symbol of sexuality.
The idea is that Arthur had not really died, but he is sleeping in Avalon, awaiting the moment when the nation will need his return most. Edward Burne-Jones was a Pre-Raphaelite artist, and so this idea has a special meaning for the Pre-Raphaelites and their followers; they found a depiction of shining armour and banners and gorgeous maidens, but Arthur had become a symbol for them of their campaign against the materialistic era. Burne-Jones had created a source of inspiration for the Pre-Raphaelites who opposed the Industrial Revolution, who believed that art can be a way of life and romanticised such ideal living.
Though the painting itself does not have that deep of a meaning (simply, a depiction of King Arthur waiting for when he is needed to rise), the inspiration that the painting had for the Pre-Raphaelite movement was meaningful.
Nia The Elf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby AwkwardAnxiety » Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:40 am

Username: AwkwardAnxiety
Lion name: Vestigiis
Pride: Salty Foam Fleet(subpride)
Pride status: Mercenary
Painting: Image
[small]By my great great grandfather, Carl Schleusing, court painter to the last king of Bavaria![/small]
Explanation: This painting has a sort of otherworldly quality to it, despite being clearly a landscape in existence. It brings up a sort of wanderlust when viewing it. I feel that Vestigiis would have a constant wanderlust, leading to his employment as a mercenary. This way, he gets paid to go to all sorts of places and see all sorts of things.
This user no longer participates on Chicken Smoothie and wishes not to be contacted
AwkwardAnxiety

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby EchoIre » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:40 pm

Username: EchoIre
Lion name: Karim
Pride: Motoheri Pride
Pride status: Lead Hunter
Painting:
"The Ghost of a Flea" by William Blake
Explanation:
Reportedly, Blake told a friend that the figure in the above painting is a replication of a beast Blake saw in a "spiritual vision"; the creature is the spirit of a flea. Blake claims the spirit told him that "all fleas were inhabited by the souls of men who were ‘by nature bloodthirsty to excess’." - thus the combination of beastial attributes to a human-like figure. The bowl in the creature's hand is, apparently, meant for blood-drinking, tying in to the spirit's claimed connection to bloodthirsty men. Though this claim may or may not be true, it isn't hard to believe the painting stems from a very strange muse brought to Blake in a fever dream.

I think the painting is cool because of the strange story surrounding it, and the way Blake used darkness and blurriness to set the atmosphere of the painting! ^^;
EchoIre

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby zoocyte » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:05 pm

EchoIre wrote:Username: EchoIre
Lion name: Karim
Pride: Motoheri Pride
Pride status: Lead Hunter
Painting:
-snip-
"The Ghost of a Flea" by William Blake
Explanation:
-snip-

congrats! i really love all these paintings!!
comms
hello, call me koga or zoo!
arcanthera adoptsmy arcanthera storageoff-oekaki gallery
zoocyte

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me